ADVERTISEMENT

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC | Update: UT & OU announce departure

My memory not being what it once was, I’ll have to crowdsource my recollection of exactly how it went.

I do remember getting my commemorative coin for attending “Penn State’s first Big Ten football game”… vs Minnesota in 1993.
LOL, I still have it.🤷‍♂️

Yes, and the Big Ten was present in that market before Rutgers joined. So how much revenue did it contribute?
Presumably it adds a couple hundred million to the B1G Network’s bottom line as the network is no longer on an optional tier in that market.

Reactions: Nitwit and BBrown
If Oklahoma went to the B1G West, then the East would need another school to keep the divisions numbers the same. Or Rutgers can leave and Purdue can slide east.
Or another west team could be added and still slide Purdue to the east. It would make for a good time zone split, for whatever that's worth.

Nothing like another realignment rumor to gin up the masses..... 😕

What benefit does Texas and OU have by inquiring into SEC membership?

If the SEC threw this out first, perhaps I could see them testing the waters on a split from the NCAA and setting up their own playoff.

Both likely hurt their position in football vs being the #1 and #2 most years where they are, OU at least.

Reactions: BBrown
I understand the Big XII is not a highly respected football conference these days but with playoff expansion coming why would these teams want to compete in a tougher conference and reduce their chances of making it. Seems to me winning the Big XII will probably be enough to get into the new CFP.

As for money? Texas has its own TV network. I have no idea what OU’s finances look like but I’m guess their conference media share isn’t anywhere near the size of the SEC or B1G.
Also I don't get why OU and even more so UT would want to leave a conference where they essentially hold all of the power to get what they want, and also get high unequal shares of revenues. They would lose a ton of political power by moving to the SEC.

What benefit does Texas and OU have by inquiring into SEC membership?

If the SEC threw this out first, perhaps I could see them testing the waters on a split from the NCAA and setting up their own playoff.

Both likely hurt their position in football vs being the #1 and #2 most years where they are, OU at least.

NCAA has nothing to do with the football playoff.

A Clemson/Notre Dame/Florida State/Miami join of the B1G would be pretty cool.
I just don't see Clemson, FSU and UF migrating to a northern / midwestern conference. Maybe UVA and VT as they are more geographically attached.
I am hoping that discussion is rekindled in this go around. You take the the AZ schools, CU, and Utah and put them in an east division with UT, OU, OSU, and TT and then you don't have to worry about travel and late starts.
Interesting proposal.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215
Had we joined and played when we accepted...there would have been a real shot at a national championship in 1991.

On the one hand, we lost to eventual half champion Miami in the regular season.

On the other, had we been in the conference, it's probable that we run through the schedule save for Michigan (probably would have been a good game). The USC loss lends to thought: do we drop one of the other games?

Washington in the Rose Bowl, had we made it and won... Certainly half champions with the Hurricanes (who probably isn't on our OOC slate as a Big 10 member), no?

On the one hand, we lost to eventual half champion Miami in the regular season.

On the other, had we been in the conference, it's probable that we run through the schedule save for Michigan (probably would have been a good game). The USC loss lends to thought: do we drop one of the other games?

Washington in the Rose Bowl, had we made it and won... Certainly half champions with the Hurricanes (who probably isn't on our OOC slate as a Big 10 member), no?
Pretty much how I think it would have gone.

No it doesn't.

BTN increased it's contract with the conference by $14mm after both Rutgers and Maryland joined. Real big bucks there.
@Art, what's your source for data like this? Think you already crossed out William Blair & Co.

Texas to SEC West with A&M , Arkansas, LSU would be interesting.

OU would add some competition to the East with Georgia and Florida, but the travel would be rough.

The Big adding OU and UT would also be great, but both should be in the West with the rest of the Big balancing it out with a shuffle. Good luck with that OSU and Michigan are married forever in the same division.

People are waaay too focused on the playoffs as the motivation for Texas and Oklahoma.

Come on, guys. You know it's all about the money. The fact that they're in talks with the SEC tells us two things:

1. The B12's bundle of rights is garbage. Granted, UT and OU carry a greater share of equity, but not enough to stay in the B12.
2. Kevin Warren should be called out after looking at strike two. His big "innovation," so far, is trying to cancel the 2020 season out of a preponderance of caution for coronavirus. Nearly bankrupted the entire Big Ten after the risks were known to be manageable. Would somehow feel better with Delany behind the wheel 🤢🤮.

I wonder if it was OU or UT that leaked this? Could be sincere interest in the SEC. could be that, plus a hey, B1G you wanna try to get us, or even a Big XII, you better up $$$ right away.

Will be interesting to see what happens and potential cascading effects if it does.

I wonder if it was OU or UT that leaked this? Could be sincere interest in the SEC. could be that, plus a hey, B1G you wanna try to get us, or even a Big XII, you better up $$$ right away.

Will be interesting to see what happens and potential cascading effects if it does.

SOOO much has happened in the last year and a half. Among other things, Kevin Warren's handling of the pandemic pretty much nuked any chance we ever had at either one. You can kiss both goodbye.

They would need apprival from 11 out of 14 SEC schools. Texas A&M will be leading the push against this- Im assuming Mizzou will not be in favor of this and Arkansas and even LSU have a lot to lose as far as being an SEC destination for a lot of 'cruits for just over the border in Tejas.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Could be sincere interest in the SEC. could be that, plus a hey, B1G you wanna try to get us, or even a Big XII, you better up $$$ right away.
Even if the rumor is true and UT and OU are both SEC or bust, it’d be a gross dereliction of duty if Warren didn’t at least make a couple exploratory behind-the-scenes phone calls to see which way the winds were blowing. Maybe there would be some mutual interest between UT/OU and the B1G but it would be up to Warren to see if it exists.

Reactions: 91Joe95
My son (Aggie class of '20) and I were talking about this yesterday. They would have to realign the divisions to make this work. We were thinking something like this to try to balance things out if both schools join the conference.

East West
Florida Texas
South Carolina Oklahoma
Alabama Texas A&M
Auburn LSU
Georgia Missouri
Vandy Ole Miss
UK Mississippi State
Tennessee Mizzo

We talked about swapping Auburn for Mississippi State to try to balance things out a bit.

You got Missouri twice and are missing Kaintucky.

ADVERTISEMENT