ADVERTISEMENT

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC | Update: UT & OU announce departure

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Not to worry, I'm sure Kevin Warren is 3 steps ahead.

Update:

Last edited:
If they are reaching out, the Big Ten would be fools not to try to add them first.

If Delany hadn't fvcked it up, this wouldn't be up for discussion. Instead, The Big Ten came away with the boobie prize.

I can’t fault his sensitivity for Penn State being on an island.

My memory not being what it once was, I’ll have to crowdsource my recollection of exactly how it went.

I do remember getting my commemorative coin for attending “Penn State’s first Big Ten football game”… vs Minnesota in 1993.
Yeah. First football game. Other sports eeee in before that. Your recollection on why is pretty close to what happened.

I understand the Big XII is not a highly respected football conference these days but with playoff expansion coming why would these teams want to compete in a tougher conference and reduce their chances of making it. Seems to me winning the Big XII will probably be enough to get into the new CFP.

As for money? Texas has its own TV network. I have no idea what OU’s finances look like but I’m guess their conference media share isn’t anywhere near the size of the SEC or B1G.

Reactions: psuno1
I’d love to see Oklahoma in the B1G West for balance. Texas would be awesome as well but their slate of sports would be a better match for the SEC.
If Oklahoma went to the B1G West, then the East would need another school to keep the divisions numbers the same. Or Rutgers can leave and Purdue can slide east.

Reactions: Sullivan
Whatever happened to UT & OK to the PAC 12? Probably too much travel and night games on west coast are a bit of an afterthought for many fans.
I am hoping that discussion is rekindled in this go around. You take the the AZ schools, CU, and Utah and put them in an east division with UT, OU, OSU, and TT and then you don't have to worry about travel and late starts.

My guess is this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA. I look for the big 4/5 conferences to split from the NCAA. The big 4/5 conferences will continue to grow larger. They will handle all the playoffs and bowl games for themselves. No reason to give the NCAA a dime when you can keep all the money for yourself. The NCAA has made itself obsolete.

My guess is this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA. I look for the big 4/5 conferences to split from the NCAA. The big 4/5 conferences will continue to grow larger. They will handle all the playoffs and bowl games for themselves. No reason to give the NCAA a dime when you can keep all the money for yourself. The NCAA has made itself obsolete.
I suspect we’ll eventually see this but there will definitely be payouts to lower divisions and conferences so they can get Congress not to interfere.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they also ask the NFL for some money and acknowledge they’re basically a developmental league.

Except the NCAA does not control college football at the D-1 level.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I suspect we’ll eventually see this but there will definitely be payouts to lower divisions and conferences so they can get Congress not to interfere.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they also ask the NFL for some money and acknowledge they’re basically a developmental league.

Someone might ask the NFL for money, but their chances of getting it are about as good as Slim's.

I suppose Texas and Oklahoma believe that the SEC is the only conference which matters in football. They may be right.
IDK, OK already has a pretty easy path. Put them into the SEC and it gets infinitely harder for them to make the playoffs. Remove TX from their schedule and it gets even easier for them. Heck they stay TX leaves and Nebraska goes back. Texas was probably the biggest reason Nebby left anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT