ADVERTISEMENT

Texas '22 commit to sit out final season to prepare for college

If this new basketball Venture called overtime Elite does well this year I could see it possibly happening for football as well. It's a lot of former NBA guys with Kevin Ollie as their director of basketball taking High School prospects and working them out year-round and playing against each other as well as taking them to play some of the prep schools and overseas schools.

I'm actually surprised a guy like Deion Sanders didn't try to do this with some of his NFL Buddy's instead of coaching at an hbcu. I think he could pull it enough guys with the money and the clout to find a way to get it on TV with sponsors to wear it would pay for itself.
Not yet but down the road. There's a reason Vince McMahon kept trying to get the XFL firing.

They didn't collectively bargain it with the college players that they are discriminating against by enforcing the 3 year rule.

Sounds like a perfect case for a liberal Biden judge to rule on and set those college players free!!

You mean like Sonia Sotomayor?

They didn't collectively bargain it with the college players that they are discriminating against by enforcing the 3 year rule.

Sounds like a perfect case for a liberal Biden judge to rule on and set those college players free!!
Huh? Unions dont have to negotiate with non members, and they can set the rules of employment, including minimum age. Liberal or non liberal is meaningless, it is the law.

Huh? Unions dont have to negotiate with non members, and they can set the rules of employment, including minimum age. Liberal or non liberal is meaningless, it is the law.
18 year olds are adults. And the NFL is denying them the opportunity to work. The NFL contract with the union may be viewed as in violation of anti-trust laws. Sooner or later someone is going to take it to court.

It's age discrimination. And any discrimination can't be viewed by the woke crowd as permitable. If a woman could make an NFL team would the NFL contract stand against that? I don't believe so.

Last edited:
18 year olds are adults. And the NFL is denying them the opportunity to work. The NFL contract with the union may be viewed as in violation of anti-trust laws. Sooner or later someone is going to take it to court.

It's age discrimination. And any discrimination can't be viewed by the woke crowd as permitable. If a woman could make an NFL team would the NFL contract stand against that? I don't believe so.
How is 'the NFL is denying them the opportunity to work'? They are denying them the opportunity to work in this chosen field, but industry does this all the time. I can't see a full range of colors... you want me working on an airplane? Reading soil samples? etc... I think not.

onlyst problem with that is Mo has all right tried that (and a WR from USC) and how did it work out for him....I'll wait...
Clarett, 19, wants the league to relax its rule that stipulates a player must be out of high school at least three years before he is eligible to be drafted. Clarett is less than two years removed from high school and, as it stands, cannot be selected until 2005.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in New York, claims that it is “almost certain” Clarett would have been selected in the beginning of the first round in 2003 had he been eligible and would have received a contract and bonuses worth millions of dollars. The suit also says the three-year rule violates antitrust law and harms competition by excluding players who have yet to meet that threshold.

HS --> College

<>

College --> Pros

The size difference between HS and NFL would get many of the kids killed. Look at the size difference from rookie to 2nd year pro as well.

Only a matter of time before someone starts their own developmental league that pays top HS kids and washout college grads who can't make the pros. Whether the NFL jumps on it first or simply reaps the benefits remains to be seen. It's the equivalent evolution of Uber replacing the taxi industry. College football will go back to what it was: local kids who get a four-year degree while playing football.

Someone mentioned the XFL. Vince screwed up by trying to compete with the NFL. He needed to feed the NFL by paying for and building brands of future stars that the NFL couldn't take because of the three year rule.

Reactions: bison13
Only a matter of time before someone starts their own developmental league that pays top HS kids and washout college grads who can't make the pros. Whether the NFL jumps on it first or simply reaps the benefits remains to be seen. It's the equivalent evolution of Uber replacing the taxi industry. College football will go back to what it was: local kids who get a four-year degree while playing football.

Someone mentioned the XFL. Vince screwed up by trying to compete with the NFL. He needed to feed the NFL by paying for and building brands of future stars that the NFL couldn't take because of the three year rule.
There is so much money in college football, not sure a development league would fit - too many barriers to entry. Not saying it won't happen, just don't see it in the next 20 - 30 years.

I've often wondered how the MLB model, or NHL model grew into existence? The NBA doesn't really have a development league either, but IMHO it is a bit easier for HS grads to move into The NBA as it is not nearly as 'physical' as The NFL.

Every football league that tries ends up failing. There will never be minor league football.

Every football league that tries ends up failing. There will never be minor league football.
I don't think anyone can beat or compete with the NFL, that's red ocean. But the blue ocean is cutting out college and doing that by paying the top HS kids right after prom, no school (only brand building), and getting them into a league where they are year-round coached, trained, and playing with former professionals or recent college washouts until they are draft eligible. IMG and charter schools already do some of that with HS kids. College is the undiscovered country and its governing body, the NCAA, is a stiff model being forced on a dynamic system. I think the colleges are vulnerable and COVID showed it. Top guys who didn't even play last year got drafted. Add in everything we see with the recent article about annual re-recruitment of players, players opting out of bowl games and now entire years, the portal, COVID players being given another year to play, players keeping their likeness and profitting off of same, all of the 5 stars going to the same 4 or 5 schools, etc. I think some business or person will give it a try and who knows, maybe the next Uber is born.

And that's not to say college football goes away. As I said earlier, only the top 100 players or so would likely make the jump to the development league every year. The rest would still play in college and keep the stadiums (mostly) full.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
I don't think anyone can beat or compete with the NFL, that's red ocean. But the blue ocean is cutting out college and doing that by paying the top HS kids right after prom, no school (only brand building), and getting them into a league where they are year-round coached, trained, and playing with former professionals or recent college washouts until they are draft eligible. IMG and charter schools already do some of that with HS kids. College is the undiscovered country and its governing body, the NCAA, is a stiff model being forced on a dynamic system. I think the colleges are vulnerable and COVID showed it. Top guys who didn't even play last year got drafted. Add in everything we see with the recent article about annual re-recruitment of players, players opting out of bowl games and now entire years, the portal, COVID players being given another year to play, players keeping their likeness and profitting off of same, all of the 5 stars going to the same 4 or 5 schools, etc. I think some business or person will give it a try and who knows, maybe the next Uber is born.

And that's not to say college football goes away. As I said earlier, only the top 100 players or so would likely make the jump to the development league every year. The rest would still play in college and keep the stadiums (mostly) full.
I thought a guy like Deion would do something like this. He has the connections and could make it work. I think it would start with around 250 total guys, 4 teams of 60 or so kids who are HS graduates through College jrs. Basically the top 60 of each recruiting class. the players get a base of 50K or something with insurance policies taken out of that, play each of the other 3 teams twice in the fall, workout the rest of the time. if it works the first year or two they can expand to 6 teams and so on.

No one is going to start a league out of the goodness of there heart....if they can’t make money, they won’t do it and anything football other than the NFL can’t make money.

There is so much money in college football, not sure a development league would fit - too many barriers to entry. Not saying it won't happen, just don't see it in the next 20 - 30 years.

I've often wondered how the MLB model, or NHL model grew into existence? The NBA doesn't really have a development league either, but IMHO it is a bit easier for HS grads to move into The NBA as it is not nearly as 'physical' as The NFL.

Historical development. The popularity of college football and basketball antedated that of the professional games. The NFL and NBA had ready-built feeders even before the took off. Same was not true of MLB so it had to build its own.

ADVERTISEMENT