ADVERTISEMENT

Texas '22 commit to sit out final season to prepare for college

canuckhal

May 5, 2014
Could this be the start of a new trend.?

ESPN 300 running back Jaydon Blue, one of the top-ranked running backs in the 2022 class, said he will sit out his senior season of high school football in 2021 to prepare for college.

"This has been a very difficult decision for my family & I," Blue said in his Twitter post. "Football is a brutal sport, and the wear and tear associated with the RB position is undeniable. I plan to take this time to focus on my academics while enhancing my off the field training/ rehab regimen.

"This is a strategic & conscious effort to ensure that I am prepared to perform at an elite level at the collegiate rankings during the 2022 season. ... This is an incremental step in hopes of one day fulfilling my NFL dreams."

Longhorns commit sits out season

Reactions: grinagrin

ESPN 300 running back Jaydon Blue, one of the top-ranked running backs in the 2022 class, said he will sit out his senior season of high school football in 2021 to prepare for college.

"This has been a very difficult decision for my family & I," Blue said in his Twitter post. "Football is a brutal sport, and the wear and tear associated with the RB position is undeniable. I plan to take this time to focus on my academics while enhancing my off the field training/ rehab regimen.

"This is a strategic & conscious effort to ensure that I am prepared to perform at an elite level at the collegiate rankings during the 2022 season. ... This is an incremental step in hopes of one day fulfilling my NFL dreams."

Oh brother...

I thought it was ironic that the OSU coach Ryan Day was critical of college players who sat out last year in his defense of Fields slipping in the draft, yet the top OSU recruit chose to sit out his SR year in HS. He said something about those who sat out not "loving the game of football." I'm sure that did not apply to his precious recruit or the Bosas when they did the same in previous years.

Whether I agree or not, I can understand a player sitting out his their final year of college eligibility if he's they're regarded by the "experts" as having already shown his their ability to play at the professional level. A lot of money could be on the line. OTOH, a high school kid hasn't proven anything yet. There is also a talent difference from opponent to opponent which may distort a kid's true ability. If his their worry is getting hurt maybe he they should play a different sport.

Sorry for the strikethroughs. I was hit by the urge to follow the lead of the PSU faculty senate. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
If Jaydon has academics to take care of this position makes some sense. I simply wonder where the funds are coming for year round personal training. Another example of the willingness of people to invest in an uncertain future.

So Texas will only have him for two years....he’ll sit out his last year in college I’m sure.
That’s a trend I seeing coming as well. With or without COVID-19 I don’t think Parsons was going to play in 2020 for that reason

Reactions: mn78psu83
I’m more surprised that he didn’t try to go to another stronger program in the Houston area or a national power like IMG. It’ll be interesting to see what Texas does now with this guy. Sark has gotten off to a good start with HS coaches and his “support” of this kid’s decision could impact those relationships. It’s also not like Texas can’t recruit another elite RB.

Reactions: step.eng69

So much for playing for the love the game!!

Reactions: step.eng69
That’s a trend I seeing coming as well. With or without COVID-19 I don’t think Parsons was going to play in 2020 for that reason
You are probably correct - for Parsons, it was all about the money - and I'm not talking about the multi million $$ contract he was going to eventually sign sometime in 2021.

I'm talking about the money that the agent was going to advance to him and his family in the summer of 2020 in an effort to "lock up" Parsons' as a client. The strategy with some of these agents is to convince the athlete and his family that it would be in his best interest to sit out the bowl game (and now it is starting to become the entire year) and train for the draft, rather than suffer a potential career ending injury in practice or the game(s). So, in addition to playing that potential injury mind game with the kid and his family, the agent agrees to advance the family some significant cash which of course, will be credited at the time the contract is signed.

So, the agent now locks up a high paying client and doesn't have to worry about getting stiffed later in the year if the kid were to agree to terms with some other agent. Everybody is looking out after their own best interests - the agent, the kid, and his family. The team and coaches are on the outside looking in.

If I am wrong, I apologize for the insinuations.

Would this lead the Texas coach to replace Blue in his 2022 recruiting class with a player that would be more likely to actually play college football for 3 years?

It should. Or maybe the Texas coach just plans for Blue to play the 2022 season at Texas, knowing the likelihood that Blue would then sit out until he becomes NFL eligible...... One and done, just like going to the NBA, a league I loved 30 years ago but haven't watched in 10 years.............

When will the family of a high school player, or a first year college player, that feels their son is ready to compete in the NFL sue the NFL and break up the 3 year rule....... Soon. I wouldn't advise my son to skip on a free college education, but in this country everyone fights for the ability to make what usually turn out to be poor decisions .....

Last edited:
Would this lead the Texas coach to replace Blue in his 2022 recruiting class with a player that would be more likely to actually play college football for 3 years?

It should. Or maybe the Texas coach just plans for Blue to play the 2022 season at Texas, knowing the likelihood that Blue would then sit out until he becomes NFL eligible...... One and done, just like going to the NBA, a league I loved 30 years ago but haven't watched in 10 years.............

When will the family of a high school player, or a first year college player, that feels their son is ready to compete in the NFL sue the NFL and break up the 3 year rule....... Soon.
You are right about the 3 yr rule challenge coming.... you can just feel it. One thing these kids and their families forget is that it is extremely difficult to make it to the professional level, compete, and have any longevity whatsoever. And Plan B for what you do after football needs to be there. For 98% of these kids in college Plan B starts after college because only 2% make it to the NFL. For the 2%ers that make it to the NFL, most do not make it past their rookie contract and a relatively few make it into their 30s in a best case scenario. Plan B needs to be strong. It needs to start with graduating from school. And one should not skip the college, or now HIGH SCHOOL experience on the extremely small chance you make it in the pros. You never get those years back in your life.

When will the family of a high school player, or a first year college player, that feels their son is ready to compete in the NFL sue the NFL and break up the 3 year rule....... Soon.
Already been tried and failed. The snowball has a better chance.

Reactions: PAgeologist
But, if you try that, it's risky. I followed that exact path and they didn't vote me in ... yet. It's kind of an Old Boys' Network.
Who beat you....Walter White?

Walter White

Article a few days ago on espn about two top basketball players spurring college and getting paid to play in a development league until they were nba draft ready. College Football will be next.

Reactions: bison13

When will the family of a high school player, or a first year college player, that feels their son is ready to compete in the NFL sue the NFL and break up the 3 year rule....... Soon. I wouldn't advise my son to skip on a free college education, but in this country everyone fights for the ability to make what usually turn out to be poor decisions .....
3 yr rule change. Not happening it’s been collectively bargained. No judge will over turn that

If this new basketball Venture called overtime Elite does well this year I could see it possibly happening for football as well. It's a lot of former NBA guys with Kevin Ollie as their director of basketball taking High School prospects and working them out year-round and playing against each other as well as taking them to play some of the prep schools and overseas schools.

I'm actually surprised a guy like Deion Sanders didn't try to do this with some of his NFL Buddy's instead of coaching at an hbcu. I think he could pull it enough guys with the money and the clout to find a way to get it on TV with sponsors to wear it would pay for itself.

3 yr rule change. Not happening it’s been collectively bargained. No judge will over turn that
They didn't collectively bargain it with the college players that they are discriminating against by enforcing the 3 year rule.

Sounds like a perfect case for a liberal Biden judge to rule on and set those college players free!!

If this new basketball Venture called overtime Elite does well this year I could see it possibly happening for football as well. It's a lot of former NBA guys with Kevin Ollie as their director of basketball taking High School prospects and working them out year-round and playing against each other as well as taking them to play some of the prep schools and overseas schools.

I'm actually surprised a guy like Deion Sanders didn't try to do this with some of his NFL Buddy's instead of coaching at an hbcu. I think he could pull it enough guys with the money and the clout to find a way to get it on TV with sponsors to wear it would pay for itself.

football team requires too many players to do this....

They didn't collectively bargain it with the college players that they are discriminating against by enforcing the 3 year rule.

Sounds like a perfect case for a liberal Biden judge to rule on and set those college players free!!
Supreme Court has a repub majority

ADVERTISEMENT