ADVERTISEMENT

Teske

After watching Teasdale this weekend, I doubt he wrestles 125 next year and if he does he will have a very difficult time. Didn't he end up in the hospital last year trying to make weight for a freestyle event?

Agreed, I suspect 2 years from now after some redshirts we will be looking at 125 Teske, 133 Teas, 141 RBY, 149 Lee, 157 Berge/Verk... With Busiello being a wildcard in mix somewhere.

A huge difference between Cael and Tan Tom as well as OSU, is Cael tends to allow kids to grow, and wrestle a reasonable distance from their natural weights. I think the big cuts really come back to haunt you in March - which is one reason why tOSU does a little better at Big 10s than Nationals. Shakir is another example where he is a different wrestler even slightly undersized than when cutting a lot of weight. Tan Tom's teams look ripped for sure but they peter out late in the tourney and look flat against the most elite competition when it counts most.

Reactions: garw
@GogglesPaizano i believe the 125 through 141 lineup will be Teske-Teasdale-RBY this year. Verk or Berge @ 149. In 19/20 the 149 moves up to 157 and Nick Lee takes over 149. These kids have won everything in their way. No need to RS this year. To me it beats bringing someone in for a year.

Reactions: purescurve
A huge difference between Cael and Tan Tom as well as OSU, is Cael tends to allow kids to grow, and wrestle a reasonable distance from their natural weights. I think the big cuts really come back to haunt you in March - which is one reason why tOSU does a little better at Big 10s than Nationals. Shakir is another example where he is a different wrestler even slightly undersized than when cutting a lot of weight. Tan Tom's teams look ripped for sure but they peter out late in the tourney and look flat against the most elite competition when it counts most.
Interesting theory given that 7 of Ohio State's starters moved up a weight in their careers, and an 8th is expected to move up next year. Also that Ohio State just had a top 20 all-time NCAA tournament.

Interesting theory given that 7 of Ohio State's starters moved up a weight in their careers, and an 8th is expected to move up next year. Also that Ohio State just had a top 20 all-time NCAA tournament.

True but it does seem that BoJo and Moore struggled with gas tank issues this year, presumably from a tough cut. tOSU had lots of talent in their upper weights so those two either cut or sit behind Myles and Snyder. Maybe you can include Ke-Shawn in with those who had gas tank issues squeezing into a spot in the lineup (although wasn't he up a weight?)

Just my guess, but Bo Jordan coming out of HS was going to be the second coming. If Logan was good enough to win 4, Bo was a shoe in.

5 years later Bo is a married father with two daughters and early in the season it was obvious Bo was not going to win a title. Bo put his time in, but probably lost some focus and drive with those two early season losses to Z Valencia.

@GogglesPaizano i believe the 125 through 141 lineup will be Teske-Teasdale-RBY this year. Verk or Berge @ 149. In 19/20 the 149 moves up to 157 and Nick Lee takes over 149. These kids have won everything in their way. No need to RS this year. To me it beats bringing someone in for a year.

Just my two cents, but I'm thinking Lee goes at 41 again, and red shirts the following year.

Reactions: tabenn
True but it does seem that BoJo and Moore struggled with gas tank issues this year, presumably from a tough cut. tOSU had lots of talent in their upper weights so those two either cut or sit behind Myles and Snyder. Maybe you can include Ke-Shawn in with those who had gas tank issues squeezing into a spot in the lineup (although wasn't he up a weight?)
Moore struggling with his cut is turning into a board legend. The evidence is weak. He sure didn't seem to gas against Rasheed in either match or against Darmstadt.

Bo Jordan did well with the hand he was dealt. Seriously: he simply isn't as athletic as Zahid, Mark, Amine, and Lewis; at least partially due to the foot problems. (@nitlion6: he was the #1 overall recruit. Cael was after him hard. And he had a great tanshirt year.)

Yes, Hayes was up a weight. Cutting wasn't his problem.

Reactions: Law-Deezie

I actually like a start freshman year redshirt second year strategy. I think with 1 year of division 1 under a wrestlers belt, the redshirt year growth is maximized. I can definitely see Nick redshirting this year as a possibility and him coming back as a much stronger very ready 149. With the low weights stacked either Teas or RBY could then shirt in the following year as well.

Another factor worth discussion, is with Bo, Nolf, Nevills, Shack all clearing out at the same time I wouldn't put it past Cael engineering another mass redshirt year in 19/20 to set up another 3+ years of total domination

I actually like a start freshman year redshirt second year strategy. I think with 1 year of division 1 under a wrestlers belt, the redshirt year growth is maximized. I can definitely see Nick redshirting this year as a possibility and him coming back as a much stronger very ready 149. With the low weights stacked either Teas or RBY could then shirt in the following year as well.

Another factor worth discussion, is with Bo, Nolf, Nevills, Shack all clearing out at the same time I wouldn't put it past Cael engineering another mass redshirt year in 19/20 to set up another 3+ years of total domination
There isn't going to be another reset year. Nolf leaves, Nick Lee at 141, Berge, Verk and possibly Joe Lee need to fit in at 149 and 157.
Bo and Rasheed leave - Aaron Brooks at 184 and Cassar or Beard at 197.
Nick leaves Seth or Cassar at HWT.

There is a ton of talent training in the room and more on the way. Resets are now passe. Actually, just not needed.

Most of the above makes sense to me except N Lee at 141. He has the length to add muscle and go to 149. Same with RBY. I think he wrestled a weight class slightly above 133. Add muscle and move him up to 141.

Most of the above makes sense to me except N Lee at 141. He has the length to add muscle and go to 149. Same with RBY. I think he wrestled a weight class slightly above 133. Add muscle and move him up to 141.
As Nick grows naturally I am sure he finishes as a 49 pounder, but he sure doesn't look like one yet.
Just guessing. This year.
Teasdale or Teske
RBY
Nick
Next year
Teske
Teasdale
RBY or Nick
2020-21
Teske
Teasdale
Busiello
Nick

Of course I could be full of crap or someone we aren't even thinking about shows up and is the next Jason, Bo, Zain, DT, Ruuuuth or Zain and demands everybody make way for them.

Reactions: garw
Did Manville transfer? He's not even in the conversation when people talk about projected line-ups.

Reactions: Dogwelder
As Nick grows naturally I am sure he finishes as a 49 pounder, but he sure doesn't look like one yet.
Just guessing. This year.
Teasdale or Teske
RBY
Nick
Next year
Teske
Teasdale
RBY or Nick
2020-21
Teske
Teasdale
Busiello
Nick

Of course I could be full of crap or someone we aren't even thinking about shows up and is the next Jason, Bo, Zain, DT, Ruuuuth or Zain and demands everybody make way for them.
So does RBY sit in 20-21 or is it RBY or Busiello at 141?

In my mind as I was playing lineup, I think he redshirts and Busiello wrestles.

It's like being a kid in the 70s and do I start Al Oliver or Gene Clines in centerfield, or maybe put Clines in center, Oliver at first and give Bob Robertson a day off. Pagan or Hebner at 3rd. A different looking lineup everytime we played PG or wiffleball, but always with Clemente and Stargell. Still a kid hoping not to growup anytime soon.

It's like being a kid in the 70s and do I start Al Oliver or Gene Clines in centerfield, or maybe put Clines in center, Oliver at first and give Bob Robertson a day off. Pagan or Hebner at 3rd. A different looking lineup everytime we played PG or wiffleball, but always with Clemente and Stargell. Still a kid hoping not to growup anytime soon.
Don't forget Davilillo coming off the bench... Cline is down here in Richmond (SF 'A' team). Hebner was one of my fav's.

Reactions: nitlion6
It will certainly be interesting to see what the lightweights do moving forward. Is there a better lightweight recruiting class than this PSU one?

Roman Bravo-Young - 182-0 (4X Arizona State Champ)
Brody Teske - 174-1 (4X Iowa State Champ)
Gavin Teasdale - 162-2 (4X Pennsylvania State Champ)

That's 518-3 with 12 state titles.

Then you add in Adam Busiello next year who will be going for his 5th New York state title.

Forgot about the possible RS for RBY - thanks!

Calls for speculation, your honor. Seriously, Cael and the coaches are future-looking, and I wouldn't be surprised if they took a look at 3-seasons-into-the-future, though their focus is 2018-19. Does help with recruiting, to have a shot at fielding a strong team, but there's still a ton of conjecture. Kids grow, injuries, bad fit (for the program), etc. all play a part.

Fans, frankly, play around with it a good bit...and I'm among them :), though good luck theorizing 3 and 4 years out. My model has a RS for RBY in 2020-21.

Don't forget Davilillo coming off the bench... Cline is down here in Richmond (SF 'A' team). Hebner was one of my fav's.
I do everything right handed, but I taught myself to hit left handed because Richie hit left handed. Wasn't great and only tried it a couple times playing a real game, but playing wiffle ball (or PG) I could do the Hebner shirt tug bat rub to petfection.

Last edited:
Calls for speculation, your honor. Seriously, Cael and the coaches are future-looking, and I wouldn't be surprised if they took a look at 3-seasons-into-the-future, though their focus is 2018-19. Does help with recruiting, to have a shot at fielding a strong team, but there's still a ton of conjecture. Kids grow, injuries, bad fit (for the program), etc. all play a part.

Fans, frankly, play around with it a good bit...and I'm among them :), though good luck theorizing 3 and 4 years out. My model has a RS for RBY in 2020-21.
Great minds do think alike. Or is it older minds do get confused together?

I do everything right handed, but I taught myself to hit left handed because Richie hit left handed. Wasn't great and only tried it a couple times playing a real game, but playing wiffle ball (or PG) I could do the Hebner shirt tug bat rub to petfection.

Yes....but did you dig graves as well?

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
It will certainly be interesting to see what the lightweights do moving forward. Is there a better lightweight recruiting class than this PSU one?

Roman Bravo-Young - 182-0 (4X Arizona State Champ)
Brody Teske - 174-1 (4X Iowa State Champ)
Gavin Teasdale - 162-2 (4X Pennsylvania State Champ)

That's 518-3 with 12 state titles.

Then you add in Adam Busiello next year who will be going for his 5th New York state title.

Wow, that's sounds really impressive when you add up all 3 career records. Holy smokes.

Is the presumption that Teske could be a career 25 pounder?

I was very young in the early 70s, but I vaguely recall Hebner in some kind of bread commercial with the catch phrase "it's not the bread, it's the wrapper", in a very heavy New England accent.

Garw & @tgar will be fly fishing on Spring, Penns and a couple of secret mountain streams this week. Time to get out and fish! If it doesn’t constitute a recruiting violation or whatever, we would be happy to take young Mr Teske out for a day of fly fishing when he gets here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT