ADVERTISEMENT

Teske

My info came from one guy (yes a credible somewhat insider), but certainly not flawless in his predictions over time. He is also a guy who was very convinced Brody would be a Cyclone up until the day he choose PSU. It could be 2/nd hand rumors with no truth whatsoever. I was not trying to stir the pot but just sharing what I had heard. I would love to have Brody in Ames, but will have no trouble being a huge fan of Brody in the PSU singlet as well. No single recruit is going to help ISU enough to matter at this point, so I won't lose any sleep either way. I'm guessing ISU being in state, 1 hour from home, cheaper to start with, and probably a much higher % offer was all available when he choose PSU in the first place. I would never question a kid for wanting to go win team titles and wrestle for Cael in Rec Hall.

well, I never lose my mind over athletics. ;)

The OP is in Iowa, and has some connections to the ISU program, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Whether the "word on the street" is simply unfounded rumors/wishful thinking, or not, remains to be seen.

If it does turn out to be true, I do think there's potential that it will hurt PSU's team chances. RBY's days at 125 are in the mirror. Teasdale was at a higher weight class most of his senior year, and dropped down for the postseason. I have no inside info on his weight or plans, or on PSU's plans, but I have questions as to whether Gavin can effectively wrestle at that weight for an entire college season.

It is good to see that Teske's Twitter signature still indicates "Penn State Wrestling '22," though there have been other athletes that switched schools/commitments, that did not change their Twitter signature until after all aspects of the switch were resolved.

The old, only time will tell.
I think as Cael looks at the wrestling landscape for 2018/2019 his plan would be to RS Teske, Teasdale and RBY. If you look at the potential PSU lineup from 141 thru HWT for 2018/2019, you have nothing but AA/NC potential. Lee, Berge, Nolf, Joseph, Hall and whatever combo comes from 184 thru HWT (i.e., Bo to 197?, Shak to 184?, Cassar to HWT? and don't forget Nevills). Again, the team will have four wrestlers heavily favored to reach the finals (Nolf, Joseph, Hall and Nickal) and strong favorites to AA in Lee, Berge, Rasheed and Cassar/Nevills. So it is not a stretch for PSU to have some combination of 8 AAs/NCs next year. That would be close to the formula that beat an outstanding Ohio State team in 2017/2018. There will be strong team contenders in 2018/2019 (Iowa, Ohio State, etc.) but I'm not sure there is any team next year that will be as strong as that 2017/2018 Ohio State team. My thoughts are Cael goes back to Schnupp at 125 and possibly Dom Giannangeli or Austin Clabaugh at 133. Granted injuries can change expectations in a heart beat (ex: Nolf), and if that happened shirts could be pulled. So I said all that to say this - I hope Teske sticks with PSU, but if he doesn't it gives Cael some time to adjust at 125 as I don't think we would have seen Teske, Teasdale or RBY as starters in 2018/2019. JMHO!

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I think as Cael looks at the wrestling landscape for 2018/2019 his plan would be to RS Teske, Teasdale and RBY. If you look at the potential PSU lineup from 141 thru HWT for 2018/2019, you have nothing but AA/NC potential. Lee, Berge, Nolf, Joseph, Hall and whatever combo comes from 184 thru HWT (i.e., Bo to 197?, Shak to 184?, Cassar to HWT? and don't forget Nevills). Again, the team will have four wrestlers heavily favored to reach the finals (Nolf, Joseph, Hall and Nickal) and strong favorites to AA in Lee, Berge, Rasheed and Cassar/Nevills. So it is not a stretch for PSU to have some combination of 8 AAs/NCs next year. That would be close to the formula that beat an outstanding Ohio State team in 2017/2018. There will be strong team contenders in 2018/2019 (Iowa, Ohio State, etc.) but I'm not sure there is any team next year that will be as strong as that 2017/2018 Ohio State team. My thoughts are Cael goes back to Schnupp at 125 and possibly Dom Giannangeli or Austin Clabaugh at 133. Granted injuries can change expectations in a heart beat (ex: Nolf), and if that happened shirts could be pulled. So I said all that to say this - I hope Teske sticks with PSU, but if he doesn't it gives Cael some time to adjust at 125 as I don't think we would have seen Teske, Teasdale or RBY as starters in 2018/2019. JMHO!
Disagree; I think it's all but assured that either RBY or Teasdale will start at 133 in 2018/19, and very possible that they will flip-flop roles in 2019/20. More line-up flexibility if these two don't redshirt the same season.

125 is tougher to figure. If Teske isn't ready (possible) and Teasdale just can't make the cut (very possible), then I agree that Schnupp may get the nod. Schnupp actually could be okay if he is able to get bigger and stronger.

At 125, the only way Schnupp starts is if Teske and/or Teasdale are definite "not possibles."
If Bravo-Young or Teasdale is not starting at 133 it is because they were a swing and a miss. Not likely.

My info came from one guy (yes a credible somewhat insider), but certainly not flawless in his predictions over time. He is also a guy who was very convinced Brody would be a Cyclone up until the day he choose PSU. It could be 2/nd hand rumors with no truth whatsoever. I was not trying to stir the pot but just sharing what I had heard. I would love to have Brody in Ames, but will have no trouble being a huge fan of Brody in the PSU singlet as well. No single recruit is going to help ISU enough to matter at this point, so I won't lose any sleep either way. I'm guessing ISU being in state, 1 hour from home, cheaper to start with, and probably a much higher % offer was all available when he choose PSU in the first place. I would never question a kid for wanting to go win team titles and wrestle for Cael in Rec Hall.
I recognized you for who you were (local to Iowa and possibly in the know), but we are talking 18 year olds here. They do not think as we gray haired people do, and change their minds more than they change underwear. That's probably a good thing. When I was 18, I did the same.

I wonder what the rules are since he practices freestyle in the ISU room with the CRC? I wonder what impact Nate Carr has had? I also wonder if maybe Gavin T. is looking more like a 125 and Brody questions his ability to make it as a starter at PSU. I also wonder if my buddy if full of crap, but he seems pretty convinced it might happen. I didn't post this to start crap- I think most on here know I am a huge Cael fan and have become quite the avid PSU fan myself.

Is Nate working for ISU's Cyclone RTC now? Hope it's not true, but who knows (agree with you though, not a huge deal for PSU either way, but would be a huge deal for ISU).

Disagree; I think it's all but assured that either RBY or Teasdale will start at 133 in 2018/19, and very possible that they will flip-flop roles in 2019/20. More line-up flexibility if these two don't redshirt the same season.

125 is tougher to figure. If Teske isn't ready (possible) and Teasdale just can't make the cut (very possible), then I agree that Schnupp may get the nod. Schnupp actually could be okay if he is able to get bigger and stronger.
Disagree - I must have missed the announcement that either Teasdale or RBY are all but assured to wrestle at 133 next year. Many here have speculated that and that is fine, but unless you're Cael, Cody or Casey it's speculation, not assurance. All things being equal, you would red shirt true freshman if you can afford to. My sole point was that there is no need to wrestle either Teasdale or RBY next year as I believe PSU is in a position to red shirt all three (I include Teske here) and still be a strong favorite to win it all next year. If you need the points you wrestle them; if you don't, RS them. I don't believe we need the points.

I do not believe the staff sits around and attempts to put together a starting lineup that may not be our strongest team, but one good enough to win a title.

I believe the thought is generally about what is our best lineup. There is obviously some consideration given to individual needs, but generally what is the strongest team drives decisions.

We are going to see some talented freshman starting this year.

Disagree - I must have missed the announcement that either Teasdale or RBY are all but assured to wrestle at 133 next year. Many here have speculated that and that is fine, but unless you're Cael, Cody or Casey it's speculation, not assurance. All things being equal, you would red shirt true freshman if you can afford to. My sole point was that there is no need to wrestle either Teasdale or RBY next year as I believe PSU is in a position to red shirt all three (I include Teske here) and still be a strong favorite to win it all next year. If you need the points you wrestle them; if you don't, RS them. I don't believe we need the points.

I agree we won't need the points but that is NOT the only consideration. If all 3 still come to PSU why redshirt all of them when all 3 CANNOT start the next year at 125 and 133. Staggering redshirts would be the way to go.

I continue to believe all 3 newcomers have a chance to start. Teske at 125, Teasdale at 133 and RBY at 141. Like Zain, let Nick Lee RS and grow into 149. I think Teasdale and RBY spent time this year above 125 and 133. What do I know. It’s a message board.

I am starting to think this thread has the potential to take off and rival the Nick S thread from last year. That was epic.

I agree we won't need the points but that is NOT the only consideration. If all 3 still come to PSU why redshirt all of them when all 3 CANNOT start the next year at 125 and 133. Staggering redshirts would be the way to go.
I don't disagree with this, but my thoughts were this: assume you don't need the points, so you red shirt Teske, Teasdale and RBY next year. For 2019/2020 Nolf is gone. So Berge goes 157, Lee goes 149, RBY goes 141, Teasdale goes 133 and Teske goes 125. Those were my thoughts; pure speculation but I thought it made some sense. It wouldn't be the first time we had three red shirt freshman in the lineup (Nolf, Nickal and Nevills).

I went on vacation last week @PAgeologist. Everglades and the GOM. Great time. It is offseason. Correct @Pennstate1985 this thread hasn’t the same level of passion, but what the hell, it has to start somewhere.

Yeah, I got your point. I just don't agree with it.

Starting some of these guys their true freshman year and/or staggering redshirts is the only way I see to avoid a major logjam that would see some wrestlers getting scholarship money not starting.
This^^.

I do not believe the staff sits around and attempts to put together a starting lineup that may not be our strongest team, but one good enough to win a title.

I believe the thought is generally about what is our best lineup. There is obviously some consideration given to individual needs, but generally what is the strongest team drives decisions.

We are going to see some talented freshman starting this year.
And this^^.

No way Teske can leave. No one would want to make Cal upset.
They all come there because of him and the easy money after done
from the NLWC,,;)

Reactions: garw

Shirt all three when we have nothing at 125 and 133 = that's a rookie call if I have ever seen one. Maybe not a threat, but tOSU will be better than you think maybe 20-30 points less (Singletary will points, Miles may have a Bo-less path next year, 125 might sneak in an AA, OSU is a question mark, but don't underestimate what they have coming into their lineup either. All agree we are the favorites by at least a 20 point margin but that still doesn't make shirting 3 with Busiello on the way a very logical move. I think Teske would start and Teasdale will shirt, with RBY at 133 I think a second (and a half) year of starting big dual matches down 9 points is simply unnecessary with the log jamb we have at the lower weights. I bet we only shirt one and rotate them going forward. With everyone growing Teske could be our 125 for more years than we originally thought.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
I am starting to think this thread has the potential to take off and rival the Nick S thread from last year. That was epic.

Huh. I remember a thread about Iceland vacations, but that's about it.

Reactions: garw
I recognized you for who you were (local to Iowa and possibly in the know), but we are talking 18 year olds here. They do not think as we gray haired people do, and change their minds more than they change underwear. That's probably a good thing. When I was 18, I did the same.
There ya go discriminating against us skin heads!

Having watched a few Teske matches before he was offered I must say I was surprised when PSU did. Maybe he has upside I wasn't seeing I dunno.

Brody has an extremely dedicated work ethic,huge gas tank, and a willingness to learn and admit he has shortcomings. He is also a humble young man. I think my buddy was hoping more than relying on solid info because the last couple of people I have talked to who would be clued in believe he is still a solid PSU. I'm sad he didn't stay home but I'm glad since he left he went to the good guys out your way. You will see many of the same things you love about Nick Lee in Brody Teske. He needs tons of bottom work to really be ready for the BIG level, so hopefully by beating Nico in the room he will gain confidence in that area. Brody isn't afraid to put the work in and the PSU coaches have quite the track record for helping guys reach full potential. I think he will grow on you Mr. Fronk, but feel free to send him home if you guys decide you don't want him.

Having watched a few Teske matches before he was offered I must say I was surprised when PSU did. Maybe he has upside I wasn't seeing I dunno.

I was wondering a bit when he was offered....but....I have watched him a number of times since he was offered. Great motor....never quits. He has improved throughout his senior year. All accounts say he is a great young man as well. I think he will do very well.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
I can tell you some of what the staff looks for is how much fight does a kid have, how does he fit in with current team members and does he have a motor and gas tank. The kid passed all. I am pretty confident he will do quite well wrestling at Penn State.

Reactions: Grass
I was wondering a bit when he was offered....but....I have watched him a number of times since he was offered. Great motor....never quits. He has improved throughout his senior year. All accounts say he is a great young man as well. I think he will do very well.
Give me the kid with the great gas tank, attacks and has a great work ethic over the kid who is very technically sound but lacks the gas tank and work ethic. Improving technique is easier than improving ones work ethic.

Brody has an extremely dedicated work ethic,huge gas tank, and a willingness to learn and admit he has shortcomings. He is also a humble young man. You will see many of the same things you love about Nick Lee in Brody Teske. He needs tons of bottom work to really be ready for the BIG level, so hopefully by beating Nico in the room he will gain confidence in that area. Brody isn't afraid to put the work in and the PSU coaches have quite the track record for helping guys reach full potential.
Nice post, JPW. A 4-time Iowa State Champ with upside...and it's not just his wrestling that makes him a good fit. Have not heard any decommit rumors other than here, hope he stays PSU-solid.

I'm in the camp that feels Teske is an important part of this class. I just don't think Teasdale can hold 125 for more than a year ... if that.

Reactions: tabenn
Brody has an extremely dedicated work ethic,huge gas tank, and a willingness to learn and admit he has shortcomings. He is also a humble young man. I think my buddy was hoping more than relying on solid info because the last couple of people I have talked to who would be clued in believe he is still a solid PSU. I'm sad he didn't stay home but I'm glad since he left he went to the good guys out your way. You will see many of the same things you love about Nick Lee in Brody Teske. He needs tons of bottom work to really be ready for the BIG level, so hopefully by beating Nico in the room he will gain confidence in that area. Brody isn't afraid to put the work in and the PSU coaches have quite the track record for helping guys reach full potential. I think he will grow on you Mr. Fronk, but feel free to send him home if you guys decide you don't want him.
By the sounds of it Teske is very coach-able. If this is the case--he will thrive in the PSU room!

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT