ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee fans poor behavior tonight

psu00

Jan 4, 2010
Throwing bottles, food containers, mustard jars, golf balls onto the field toward the end of the game when they turned the ball over on downs.

There was hardly any security who eventually showed up late. 20 min delay while they emptied the lower 30 rows or so of the stands. Security then disappears and the fans all run down to occupy the lower seats again that were just emptied. Kiffin hit with a golf ball. Tennessee cheerleaders, dance team, and band all had to leave the stadium with about a minute to go.

Will be interesting to see how big the fine is for Tennessee tomorrow.

Last edited:
Turned this on after the delay without knowing all of this occurred and volume on mute, seemed odd the game hadn’t ended and how intense the fans were acting. This explains things.

The last 18 seconds of game time seemed to have s lot of home cooking with the game clock to allow the Vols an opportunity to attempt a winning drive.

Found this post game clip of the Vols head coach. I hear a lot of compliments given to the fans and not a single bad word.

Very poor look for the team and fans.

Turned this on after the delay without knowing all of this occurred and volume on mute, seemed odd the game hadn’t ended and how intense the fans were acting. This explains things.

The last 18 seconds of game time seemed to have s lot of home cooking with the game clock to allow the Vols an opportunity to attempt a winning drive.

Found this post game clip of the Vols head coach. I hear a lot of compliments given to the fans and not a single bad word.

Very poor look for the team and fans.
Lost a lot of respect for the new Tennessee coach watching that. While it was happening I kept wondering why he didn’t jump on the mic and yell at the crowd to stop and try to calm things down (as security was minimal and clearly overmatched). Seeing his brush off of the events, I hope they lose the rest of the way.

Hell, even the SEC network who tried to be as PC as possible and brush a lot of it off as “passionate fans in the premiere football conference in the nation” still said it was disgraceful and talked about lack of self control.

I can only imagine the questions Franklin would be hit with by the Dave Jones types if that happened at the Beav on national tv.

Can't agree with that, at some point someone has to be the adult in the room..
Good grief, it’s amazing that we have fallen so far as to have this simple fact open to discussion. Just amazing. There are plenty of ways to show your passion without being an asshole. It’s been done in college football stadiums for 100 years.

That I can’t accept, either. Character still counts for something.
Not that I have observed.

Societal character is a very, very tricky thing.

We are hard wired from our days in the caves to do whatever is required IN THE MOMENT to survive and win. Lie, cheat, steal, sneak attack. Whatever.

In fact, what I have observed is that people are willing to be quiet/idle whenever the issue doesn't directly affect them.

And as such, good people eventually see this, and say, "Well, I sacrifice and no one seems to care."

People knew what JoePa did for 50 years. They saw how the "leadership" responded when it was MOMENTARILY advantageous for them to act OUTRAGED. Think that doesn't have an impact on future behavior in society?

The SEC should ban Tennesse from selling tickets to conference games next year. That would amount to a pretty hefty that would get everybody's attention. Don't just say fan and player safety is your number one concern, prove it.

The SEC should ban Tennesse from selling tickets to conference games next year. That would amount to a pretty hefty that would get everybody's attention. Don't just say fan and player safety is your number one concern, prove it.
Losing a home site game would actually be a good remedy here.

btw, to my surprise, kiffen seemed To have a surprisingly good attitude about the whole episode

lulujr.jpg

Lulu and Junior are not happy with the game results.

Even though it was for his dream job at USC, I thought it was a dick move for Kiffin to bail on UTenn after only one season. I actually had some sympathy for the Vols at the time. Now I see Kiffin must have realized it was a shit job with shit fans. He was smart to get out while he could.

Not that I have observed.

Societal character is a very, very tricky thing.

We are hard wired from our days in the caves to do whatever is required IN THE MOMENT to survive and win. Lie, cheat, steal, sneak attack. Whatever.

In fact, what I have observed is that people are willing to be quiet/idle whenever the issue doesn't directly affect them.

And as such, good people eventually see this, and say, "Well, I sacrifice and no one seems to care."

People knew what JoePa did for 50 years. They saw how the "leadership" responded when it was MOMENTARILY advantageous for them to act OUTRAGED. Think that doesn't have an impact on future behavior in society?
Tell me....what did Joe do for 50 years?

While throwing things is dangerous - every major sport has a refereeing problem. There’s no accountability for referees. People think they are stupid, crooked or both. Everyone here has wanted to punch a referee in the face at one point. So I blame the powers that be that let O’Neill always red our biggest games.

Reactions: odshowtime
Throwing bottles, food containers, mustard jars, golf balls onto the field toward the end of the game when they turned the ball over on downs.

There was hardly any security who eventually showed up late. 20 min delay while they emptied the lower 30 rows or so of the stands. Security then disappears and the fans all run down to occupy the lower seats again that were just emptied. Kiffin hit with a golf ball. Tennessee cheerleaders, dance team, and band all had to leave the stadium with about a minute to go.

Will be interesting to see how big the fine is for Tennessee tomorrow.

Any Titleists? Probably not...my bet is they were Top-Flites!

Reactions: psu00 and LionJim
Losing a home site game would actually be a good remedy here.

btw, to my surprise, kiffen seemed To have a surprisingly good attitude about the whole episode
Indeed.

"It's an emotional game and fans are emotional, but you never expect something like that, to see all that stuff come flying out of the stands," Kiffin told ESPN. "I got hit with a golf ball, but at least whoever threw it was smart enough to throw a dirty range ball."

Could just as well be referring to WVU fans with this one.

"There were a number of bottles with some brown stuff in them," Kiffin said. "I'm not sure what it was. It probably wasn't moonshine. They probably wouldn't waste moonshine on me."

While throwing things is dangerous - every major sport has a refereeing problem. There’s no accountability for referees. People think they are stupid, crooked or both. Everyone here has wanted to punch a referee in the face at one point. So I blame the powers that be that let O’Neill always red our biggest games.
Really? That’s your takeaway?

At least UT fans didn't kill Buddy Holly. That's on Iowa. Hell, they didn't even sell out his show at $1.25/ticket.

Then why isn’t it happening in every stadium? Only Tennessee has bad officiating?
What you just said is such a logical fallacy. Action X doesn’t cause action Y in every situation, so in the current situation, action Y wasn’t caused by action X.

that corruption by the powerful leads to stupid behavior by the plebeians? Yup.
Now, that is an interesting comment.

I would have said it another way, but I think you're saying that if the leaders are corrupt, by what reason do we have to expect the followers to behave better than the leaders?

Well, on the face of it - seems reasonable - if the leader cannot behave ethically, why should I behave ethically?

What you just said is such a logical fallacy. Action X doesn’t cause action Y in every situation, so in the current situation, action Y wasn’t caused by action X.
And in your case Action X never causes Action Y….officials don’t cause that behavior, ignorance and alcohol cause that action.

Reactions: Alphalion75
ADVERTISEMENT