ADVERTISEMENT

Ten most overrated/disgusting college fan bases

Well, I don't think the article's bashing of Harvard/Yale was warranted. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't think the article's bashing of Harvard/Yale was warranted. :rolleyes:
I didn't know they played football.
medium-smiley-048.gif

Rating fan bases.....and including Harvard and Yale? Mike Foss must not have had his Raisin Bran this morning....or maybe he had an overdose.

The most delusional is the fan base in South Bend.
The most obnoxious has to be Millersville. I mean, come on...hurling insults at bulldog security during games, invading the visiting fans' tailgates for free food, running around in a drunken state kicking pylons...:D

Not to mention rolling the coaching tower down a hill from the practice field 4 yrs in a row in a drunken state!

Perhaps it should be the most annoying fanbases, and while EVERY base has annoying aspects (aka "traditions" according to the fans), some are MUCH more so than others. Things like script ahia, touchdown Jesus, jump around, and the tomahawk chop are all engrained in the football traditions of their schools, but to most other fans bases (especially when they're crammed down our throats by espn), they are ANNOYING. It's fine that these sorts of traditions are beloved by their own, but when fans start whining about how their traditions should be recognized as great by all, their bases jump up lists like this one.

Of course some traditions - like throwing piss balloons - are timeless and beloved by all fan bases.

I try to be pretty easy going on traditions, but there are two that make me shake my head:

1) At Alabama, when people show up with an empty box of detergent and a roll of toilet paper on a stick. I realize it's Alabama, but that's something even WVU fans laugh at.
2) The Turkey Gobble at Virginia Tech. The only way that could possibly make sense is if it's done to try to make the opposing team laugh during a play.

Since this also happens in the pro's I don't consider it a tradition, but anyone that shows up for a game carrying a cardboard "D" and a cut out of a picket fence should be dragged out of the stadium and beaten.

Reactions: hagberg
Rating fan bases.....and including Harvard and Yale? Mike Foss must not have had his Raisin Bran this morning....or maybe he had an overdose.

That squirrel must hate your guts for doing that to him. What did that little critter do to you to deserve that?!?!

I try to be pretty easy going on traditions, but there are two that make me shake my head:

1) At Alabama, when people show up with an empty box of detergent and a roll of toilet paper on a stick. I realize it's Alabama, but that's something even WVU fans laugh at.
2) The Turkey Gobble at Virginia Tech. The only way that could possibly make sense is if it's done to try to make the opposing team laugh during a play.

Since this also happens in the pro's I don't consider it a tradition, but anyone that shows up for a game carrying a cardboard "D" and a cut out of a picket fence should be dragged out of the stadium and beaten.

I give you the running of the Gumps
http://lostlettermen.com/alabama-fans-partake-in-2015-running-of-the-gumps/

There's 2 different questions here. Most 'overrated' I would have to put Miami. For all the success they've had- they have/ had some very obnoxious fans but the stadium was never full and now that they aren't #1 there fans (by and large) have abandoned them. Classic 'front runner/ bandwagon'' fans. USCw and UCLA fans would fall into this category for me too.

Most 'disgusting' I think is silly and inappropriate. Change that to most 'delusional' and I think Notre Dame, Texas, and Ohio State are my top 3. The first 2 haven't been relevant in decades but their fans think they'll win a title every year and all 3 just can't understand why the entire country doesn't bow down to their greatness every year. There's no problem with having pride in your university or team but these 3 IMO go way beyond that.

ADVERTISEMENT