ADVERTISEMENT

Tell us a little about yourself.

Psalm 1 guy

Nov 3, 2019
Well, it's after 0300 and I can't sleep (again). 32 years of shift work in law enforcement has taken its toll on my sleep patterns. Since I'm up and have nothing better to do, I thought I'd start a new thread, if you all don't mind. In reading many of the comments on this Forum, I get the feeling there are many of us here who are of retirement age or older. I think it would be interesting to know the demographics of the posters on this Forum. Besides your age, I thought it would be interesting to know how many years you wrestled (if any) and what part of the country you live. For myself, I'm 57, wrestled through my Junior year in college, and live outside of San Diego.

On a separate note, I have truly enjoyed the last ten years or so I have been following this Forum. I find it is my go-to happy place, much like comfort food and sweets :) And the GIF's are great! I would love to one day meet some of you. I would also love to one day be able to head to Pennsylvania and see a PSU dual in person. And if the good Lord allows me to be here still in 2028, I am going to do my best to be in L.A. for the 2028 Olympics.

Allow me to be sentimental for a moment if you wouldn't mind. Quite a few years ago on this Forum (at least I believe it was this forum, although I followed a few at that time) there was a gentleman who was a passionate PSU wrestling fan who was fighting cancer. He unfortunately passed away from it after a long, hard-fought battle, but he fought it bravely, discussing it frequently here. Would someone please tell me his name and screen name? I was so impressed with him and also the care and compassion exhibited for him here. I have thought of him over the years and he was on my heart this morning. Anyway, thank you for everyone who makes this Forum an enjoyable experience. Gaylon

Well, it's after 0300 and I can't sleep (again). 32 years of shift work in law enforcement has taken its toll on my sleep patterns. Since I'm up and have nothing better to do, I thought I'd start a new thread, if you all don't mind. In reading many of the comments on this Forum, I get the feeling there are many of us here who are of retirement age or older. I think it would be interesting to know the demographics of the posters on this Forum. Besides your age, I thought it would be interesting to know how many years you wrestled (if any) and what part of the country you live. For myself, I'm 57, wrestled through my Junior year in college, and live outside of San Diego.

On a separate note, I have truly enjoyed the last ten years or so I have been following this Forum. I find it is my go-to happy place, much like comfort food and sweets :) And the GIF's are great! I would love to one day meet some of you. I would also love to one day be able to head to Pennsylvania and see a PSU dual in person. And if the good Lord allows me to be here still in 2028, I am going to do my best to be in L.A. for the 2028 Olympics.

Allow me to be sentimental for a moment if you wouldn't mind. Quite a few years ago on this Forum (at least I believe it was this forum, although I followed a few at that time) there was a gentleman who was a passionate PSU wrestling fan who was fighting cancer. He unfortunately passed away from it after a long, hard-fought battle, but he fought it bravely, discussing it frequently here. Would someone please tell me his name and screen name? I was so impressed with him and also the care and compassion exhibited for him here. I have thought of him over the years and he was on my heart this morning. Anyway, thank you for everyone who makes this Forum an enjoyable experience. Gaylon
Kurt Russell KR1963 I'm not sure how much he posted here, but he posted on the old FOS forum. He has some stuff on Youtube.

Last edited:
I am just about 58 years old living most of my life in Pennsylvania, PSU grad in 86. I wrestled 6-8th grade, then moved from Harrisburg area to NEPA. Went out for wrestling but decided to join the ski club in 9th grade. We were state champs my senior year so the wrestling team did not miss me one bit. I graduated with the PA state and National Champ Bonomo brothers.

I have two son's that wrestled elementary through high school. One wrestled both Alton Brothers once in his first (and about last) FS tournament, he was teched quickly by both, TD and rolled around the mat, but took first at the tourney since the brothers did not stick around, he was literally last man standing at medal time. LOL.

I am in the food business, working (as of 4 weeks now) for a coffee manufacturer. In a normal world I get to travel around the US and have been many places including 45 states but the San Diego area is one I have not been to yet but really would like to visit.

And thank you for your service!

Last edited:
65 years old and retired 3 years ago. My son and I have had season tickets since the 2011-2012 season. I live 75 miles south of State College. I started going to PSU matches with my son when he went to PSU. I remember one year we wrestled Iowa. They were #1 and I believe we were #2 or #3. Steve Mocco was their heavyweight. Walked up to the ticket window and bought a ticket for $3, my son was free (our local high school charged $4). Since getting season tickets, I’ve only missed two matches, one for weather and one to attend my best friend’s college commencement (he was 58). Been to 3 away matches…Maryland, Bucknell, and ASU. Psalm 1 guy, I think you may have sat behind me at the ASU match. I sat beside Brody Teske’s grandfather and mother. The Joseph’s and Lee’s were to my left and down a row. I think in a post you said you also sat near them. In hindsight, I wish I could have met you. Looking forward to getting back into Rec Hall.

Regarding your sleep patterns, are you retired and still unable to get back to something you'd consider a normal sleep pattern? Reason I ask is because I am in my 22nd year as a firefighter EMT who's worked a 24 hour shift, often having to wake up in the middle of the night to go on calls, and then going home for 48 hours. The first few years of that were OK. Then I started having problems coming back from a call and trying to fall asleep. The last couple years (I'm 45 now), the night calls have destroyed me. Not only do I lay down to start the night and can't fall asleep because I'm anticipating calls (anxiety) that may or may not happen, but now I'm a light sleeper and hear everything, and when we do get up and come back I'm up for the rest of the night. I'd go home at 7 am, lay down, and couldn't sleep there either. It was taking me 4 days to recover. So the Dr's gave me 3 sleep disorder diagnoses. I went off the job back in May and on my paid sick leave that will run out next June. It took me a few weeks to normalize, but man, the last 2 months of not working nights and getting full nights regular sleep I feel like a new man. So I hope that you're able to reset yourself at some point and get into a sleep pattern that's healthy for you. Sleep disorders are no good and can be the cause of a lot of underlying health problems. Hang in there and if you need to chat about anything, let me know.

Last edited:
65 years old and retired 3 years ago. My son and I have had season tickets since the 2011-2012 season. I live 75 miles south of State College. I started going to PSU matches with my son when he went to PSU. I remember one year we wrestled Iowa. They were #1 and I believe we were #2 or #3. Steve Mocco was their heavyweight. Walked up to the ticket window and bought a ticket for $3, my son was free (our local high school charged $4). Since getting season tickets, I’ve only missed two matches, one for weather and one to attend my best friend’s college commencement (he was 58). Been to 3 away matches…Maryland, Bucknell, and ASU. Psalm 1 guy, I think you may have sat behind me at the ASU match. I sat beside Brody Teske’s grandfather and mother. The Joseph’s and Lee’s were to my left and down a row. I think in a post you said you also sat near them. In hindsight, I wish I could have met you. Looking forward to getting back into Rec Hall.
Yup, I was at that ASU dual. Cenzo's Mom and Dad were a few rows below me to my right so I have no doubt we saw each other. I first recognized Cenzo's mother by her hat :)

I always enjoy sincere posts like Psalm1's, there's not enough of that on the internet. I grew up on Long Island, wrestled between 1982-86, my HS career ended at the prep nationals still held at Lehigh each year. I was decent enough to wrestle in college (in retrospect I definitely lacked the requisite dedication) but chose art school instead, which is the opposite of wrestling, college-experience-wise. Am now a lawyer but also still a photographer, and I shoot Columbia's duals, the NCAAs, and anywhere else my USA Wrestling credentials get me into. In the last year I moved to State College but still have a foot in NYC. I've met a number of people from this board, many whom I now consider good friends. For all the wrestling I've been privileged to see up close over the last six or so years, I've still yet to attend a dual at Rec Hall but that's likely to change now that I'm in SC.

Regarding your sleep patterns, are you retired and still unable to get back to something you'd consider a normal sleep pattern? Reason I ask is because I am in my 22nd year as a firefighter EMT who's worked a 24 hour shift, often having to wake up in the middle of the night to go on calls, and then going home for 48 hours. The first few years of that were OK. Then I started having problems coming back from a call and trying to fall asleep. The last couple years (I'm 45 now), the night calls have destroyed me. Not only do I lay down to start the night and can't fall asleep because I'm anticipating calls (anxiety) that may or may not happen, but now I'm a light sleeper and hear everything, and when we do get up and come back I'm up for the rest of the night. I'd go home at 7 am, lay down, and couldn't sleep there either. It was taking me 4 days to recover. So the Dr's gave me 3 sleep disorder diagnoses. I went off the job back in May and on my paid sick leave that will run out next June. It took me a few weeks to normalize, but man, the last 2 months of not working nights and getting full nights regular sleep I feel like a new man. So I hope that you're able to reset yourself at some point and get into a sleep pattern that's healthy for you. Sleep disorders are no good and can be the cause of a lot of underlying health problems. Hang in there and if you need to chat about anything, let me know.
backdrft76, thank you. I retired 27 months ago, and my sleep schedule in retirement has been a constant issue. I was in patrol my whole career and because of that I rotated through the three shifts (0600-1600, 1400-0000 and 2100-0700) my whole career. I think part of my problem is that for many years the time of year I worked 2100 to 0700 was in the summertime, so my body is used to being on a night schedule at this time of the year. Twice in the last few months I was awake all night and purposely stayed awake all that day to try to exhaust myself into cycling to a better sleep schedule, but to no avail.

I have talked to some officers who stated it took them several years to adjust to a normal sleep schedule. Hopefully I can retrain my body to get into some semblance of a normal sleep schedule. The detrimental effects of working night time hours is consistently noted in medical research, as I'm sure you are well aware. I wish you the best in your health going forward. Regarding being easily awoken, you might want to train yourself to sleep with a loud fan on high next to you. This kills all the ambient noise and you might find it beneficial.

Last edited:
I'm 40 years old with baby number four due any day now. I work indirectly with the US gov and US military. I have enjoyed wrestling since I was 5. My father wrestled briefly in high school and has been a lifelong fan which sucked me in. My wrestling career was over before it started as I am 0-1 lifetime with that loss coming at church camp. My school did not have a wrestling program. I have no ties to Penn State other than conversing with you fine gentleman. God bless you all for helping pass the time or providing comfort for those in a time of need. I am very thankful to have found this forum and been introduced to a variety of different opinions and expertise. As always, I am really looking forward to getting the season started. This year I will be exposing the sport to my son for the first time and hopefully to my next son who has yet to arrive. Cael, if you read this I'll see you in about 15 years. The. Dynasty. Just. Got. Stronger. ;)

I always enjoy sincere posts like Psalm1's, there's not enough of that on the internet. I grew up on Long Island, wrestled between 1982-86, my HS career ended at the prep nationals still held at Lehigh each year. I was decent enough to wrestle in college (in retrospect I definitely lacked the requisite dedication) but chose art school instead, which is the opposite of wrestling, college-experience-wise. Am now a lawyer but also still a photographer, and I shoot Columbia's duals, the NCAAs, and anywhere else my USA Wrestling credentials get me into. In the last year I moved to State College but still have a foot in NYC. I've met a number of people from this board, many whom I now consider good friends. For all the wrestling I've been privileged to see up close over the last six or so years, I've still yet to attend a dual at Rec Hall but that's likely to change now that I'm in SC.

Dayum, I didn't know you were that old!

I always enjoy your pics and legalize, Tikk.

A really fun thread would have been matching the screen names to age/career. That could have been wild on this forum. For example, I'm sure that @Dogwelder is either a stand-up comic or in the circus.
But me? I'm 58 years old and live in Erie. I started wrestling in 2nd grade. I won my first match and in my second was pinned by a kid named Archie Simmer in 13 seconds. I honestly thought he gave up after 13 seconds. Then they raised his hand and I cried. Dad was unhappy with the crying. The next year (as there was only the Jr. Olympic tournaments) I was pinned by Cory Bartlett also from Iroquois High School in my next match. Vowed I would never be pinned again as long as I wrestled. Wrestled through high school and then Intramurals at Penn State. Never ever was pinned again, and I wrestled some greats, including NCAA Champ Kevin Darkus. Pledged a fraternity with @KCLion. Patched him up at Rec Hall as he was bleeding like Chuck Wepner. Learned to drink mass quantities of beer and other bad things.
After Penn State tried my hand at being a stock broker for 4 years. It wasn't for me. Stumbled into manufacturing and that was all she wrote. Took to it like a pig to stinky mud. Now I'm trying to figure out how to unwind myself from this career. Five daughters along the way and none want to take over the reigns. Hang out part time in Naples, FL.
I'll be scraping it around at the NLWC golf outing in two weeks. I'll be the guy wearing the limited edition solid gold puma golf shoes in honor of David Taylor. I may have to retire those after that round. So if you see me, say hello. I'll be in State College the nights of the 26th and 27th.

I’m 56 and my body has finally broken down despite not being a wrestler, so I won’t accept your challenge to meet on a bridge if that’s your thing. I’ve got at least two trips to the orthopedist in the future. Oddly enough I can still run “okay.” But after a hard fall onto my hip in 2019 I doubt I’ll ever sprint again. I hope to make 74kg this year with a return to the gym.

Baseball (CF) and track were my things. All things analytics at work exercise my gray matter. You can find me in a north suburb of Chicago. A couple of you have already (think Evanston).

As far as where wrestling affinity arises, did some as a kid, but we weren’t in a position to send me to camps. Went to a HS that had some great teams (more than individuals) in the 80’s. My roomie for two years at PSU was a room guy at HWT and from my HS. And I spent two years of grad school at Iowa.

One small add: I did have Bill Koll as my instructor for PE wrestling c.1983.

Last edited:
I’m 43. Have lived in State College since the 3rd grade. I have a physical handicap that prevented me from wrestling, but I would have been one, for sure. My dad wrestled into college, and he iginited my passion for the sport by taking me to duals at Rec Hall to see the likes of Prescott, Elinski, Cheetos (that was an autocorrect fail, but I’m leaving it, Mr. “Caesar”), Martin, and Mayo. I was truly hooked after experiencing the electricity of Kolat’s Rec Hall debut pin of Zaddick and that fantastic team we had the following year.My interest in the sport waned after McCoy graduated, other than bearing witness to Cael’s amazing run. And of course my attention returned with gusto when wrestling was finally invented. I have unofficial season tickets now, thanks to a friend who shares. Nothing gets me as amped in this world as a big dual at Rec Hall.

I have 2 boys—the eldest is interested in giving the sport a try this year—he’s 10, so a late start for these parts, but I have a feeling he’s going to love it. Naturally, his younger brother may want to do the same soon afterward—as younger brothers do.

I’m never a fan of the fans who pull the “did you even wrestle?” card. I get it—it’s a crazy tough sport, and there is always going to be a fraternity of those who had to make weight and not empty your stomach on the mat. But when people talk about growing the sport, it’s folks like me that you want to bring in, right?

I'm 70 and never wrestled on a team. My freshman year in high school (Warwick) was the first year PIAA had the 98 pound weight class. The coach tried to recruit a few of us little squirts to come out for the team. I chose not to and regret it. (By my senior year I was 6ft and about 160 lbs.)

Got drafted during Vietnam but served in Colorado Springs and the north shore of Chicago. Took the GI Bill and spent 1972-1978 in Happy Valley. Was a health and PE major and for my teaching/coaching requirements I needed to take, I think, 10 or 12 one credit sports classes. We were taught how to teach beginners and how to coach.

Had great instructors, Walter Barr (soccer) who was Matt and Chris's father and Rich Lorenzo for wrestling and to name a few. And yes, we played a fair amount of dodge ball even back then!

I've been in Virginia, mostly Richmond since 1978. In the fall of the 2010-2011 season PSU was in the Virginia Duals tournament in Hampton, Va. It was a two day event and I drove down for the first day. I'm sure I sat and spoke to at least a few of you that day. Taylor and Ruth were redshirt freshman and I loved the way the team was always looking to score points. I was hooked!

I went to meets when I was a student at PSU and have come up for a few Nittany Lion Opens. In fact I was there on my 65th birthday. I made it to the 2014, 2018 and 2019 nationals. The first one was a bucket list priority and the others were just plain fun. Not being a season ticket holder has made getting tickets to nationals an adventure and I have some fun stories of how we got them.

I can't talk technique, not qualified, but sure love the sport and following the topics on this board. I think PSU wrestling has over taken PSU football in my heart.

And I spent two years of grad school at Iowa.
giphy.gif

I'm 38. Born and raised in a small town(1,200) in Northern Iowa.

My old man didn't get to play sports in HS as he was a farm kid and chores came 1st. He attended ISU when Gable was in school and I believe that is when his passion for wrestling started.

I have two older brothers that picked up the sport, therefore I did as well. My dad became the youth coach once it became apparent that his boys were wrestlers.

We didn't have much money, but still my parents got us a wrestling mat for the concrete basement and some really crappy exercise equipment and weights. We did tournaments every weekend in the winter, AAU State, all that stuff.

Both my brothers ended up wrestling in college, one DIII and the other was an AA at Iowa.

I was the poster child for wrestling burnout, however.... By sophomore year of HS, my passion for competing was gone. Too much weight cutting, injuries, other interests like football, girls, and alcohol certainly played into it. I still finished my HS career, but didn't get the results that matched my skill level. I know it frustrated my coaches as I would handily beat a top 5(in state) kid one meet, and then lose to another kid that didn't even have a winning record the next.

My brothers still tell me to this day that when we young, I was by far the most talented of the 3, but c'est la vie....

Over time, my passion for wrestling has returned(not competition) and I now find myself conversing with enemy on internet forums.:D:D

Looking back, some of my most lasting memories(both good and bad) involve the sport of wrestling.

Being so dehydrated that you can barely move, breaking your collarbone when your big brother headlocks you a little too hard, your normally reserved mom being the loudest cheerleader in the building, your dad's arm around your shoulder after a tough loss, seeing your big bro on the podium at NCAA's.

All that and so, so much more are why I love(and hated) this wonderful sport of wrestling.

I'm 38. Born and raised in a small town(1,200) in Northern Iowa.

My old man didn't get to play sports in HS as he was a farm kid and chores came 1st. He attended ISU when Gable was in school and I believe that is when his passion for wrestling started.

I have two older brothers that picked up the sport, therefore I did as well. My dad became the youth coach once it became apparent that his boys were wrestlers.

We didn't have much money, but still my parents got us a wrestling mat for the concrete basement and some really crappy exercise equipment and weights. We did tournaments every weekend in the winter, AAU State, all that stuff.

Both my brothers ended up wrestling in college, one DIII and the other was an AA at Iowa.

I was the poster child for wrestling burnout, however.... By sophomore year of HS, my passion for competing was gone. Too much weight cutting, injuries, other interests like football, girls, and alcohol certainly played into it. I still finished my HS career, but didn't get the results that matched my skill level. I know it frustrated my coaches as I would handily beat a top 5(in state) kid one meet, and then lose to another kid that didn't even have a winning record the next.

My brothers still tell me to this day that when we young, I was by far the most talented of the 3, but c'est la vie....

Over time, my passion for wrestling has returned(not competition) and I now find myself conversing with enemy on internet forums.:D:D

Looking back, some of my most lasting memories(both good and bad) involve the sport of wrestling.

Being so dehydrated that you can barely move, breaking your collarbone when your big brother headlocks you a little too hard, your normally reserved mom being the loudest cheerleader in the building, your dad's arm around your shoulder after a tough loss, seeing your big bro on the podium at NCAA's.

All that and so, so much more are why I love(and hated) this wonderful sport of wrestling.

I'm not the youngest.

tumblr_mlsddcnuZ01s09kyso1_500.gif

Kurt Russell KR1963 I'm not sure how much he posted here, but he posted on the old FOS forum. He has some stuff on Youtube.
I just came across his channel again a month ago. Have many fond memories of him. He's missed, and was a die hard PSU wrestling fan. I recall one of the awesome posters got him to a meet there near the end. Poor guy, felt so bad for him. He left a positive impression on many here, and would be so happy to see what the scene is currently like surrounding PSU wrestling.

I'm confused. Were you coached by TnT or John Smith?

If only. Side note, Tom Brands did watch me wrestle a few matches in HS and even came to my house a couple of times. This was just a year or two after his gold medal performance at the Olympics, so pretty intimidating presence to me.

Full disclosure, he wasn't there to see me. He was recruiting my brother. But I remember him giving some pretty sage advice. Tom was talking with my parents as my brothers and I came out of the lockerroom. Somehow the conversation swung to me.

I had lost a fairly close match that night. Tom looked at me and said "Well that kid was better than you." There was a short pause. No one was sure how to respond and I was feeling like a real POS, but then he continued.

"Today. He was better than you today. What are you going to do to be better than him tomorrow?"

I may have mixed up the exact phrasing a bit, but the message that I received as a youth is still with me to this day.

62 year old retired vocational teacher in Carlisle. Lucky enough to share a friend's season tickets since The Sunderland years...

Wrestled for Penn Highlands in Jr high and Juniata high school 10 through 12. Davey Hart's dad, Ron, was my coach. He would tell me over and over how he was going to take me down and then he would do it; I couldn't stop him... good times.

I'm 70 and never wrestled on a team. My freshman year in high school (Warwick) was the first year PIAA had the 98 pound weight class. The coach tried to recruit a few of us little squirts to come out for the team. I chose not to and regret it. (By my senior year I was 6ft and about 160 lbs.)
If you are 70, you must have been in hs in the '60s. 1973 was the first year of 98 pounds. Before that it was 95 pounds. And at the first states I attended, (1961), they had an 85 pound exhibition final because the WPIAL was the only region that still had that weight class.

I saw my first match in 1958. I began wrestling in 5th grade. I saw Mike Johnson and Jim Nance at states (a kid on my team won in '61 along with a bunch of studs - none of whom were him). In '62 I met Elliot Gray Simons - the god of wrestling then. He was coaching at West Point and I cornered him after the Lehigh meet.

My little brother lost to Andy Matter by a point in a high school dual. My older brother wrestled behind Mike Caruso at Lehigh - which means he didn't wrestle much there. I wrestled in Jr Hi, HS, and 4 years of college. I coached youth wrestling for 20 years -- had a couple of Nat Prep champs and place winners, and a number of PIAA place winners. I actually coached Matt Storniolo for a year when he was 6, and told his mother he was going to be a super star. I never said that to any other parent. Matt could bend his body like a pretzel and come out the other end. He style was so unique and his core strength even young was terrific. I knew the sky was the limit for him..

I'm among a group of guys that have been coming to PIAA states since '85. So I got to see Kolat and Ty Moore in their prime. One of my wrestlers gave Ray Brinzer all he could handle his senior year at states -- actually tied 9 - 9, I think, going into the 3rd period. Oh well, it might have been.

I have one claim to fame. In 10 years of wrestling I gave up a total of 3 back points. And I still maintain that I was screwed. Never pinned. Wrestled a lot of state champs, a national champ, a couple of national place winners. My final claim to fame: the national champ I lost to by a point is currently facing sexual assault charges in Colorado. I have mixed emotions about that. He's 74 years old too. Is he on viagra or what?

I'm thinking that the younger readers might not recognize the names I dropped:
Mike Johnson--4x PIAA champ and considered PA's all-time great in the '60s
Jim Nance - 2x NCAA champ, NE Patriots all-time fullback, the guy the PIAA created the HWY division for.
Mike Caruso -3x NCAA champ.
and the NCAA champ I wrestled that is currently in deep doodoo: Wayne Boyd.

Last edited:
I am 52 and the Chief Information Officer (CIO) at a academic medical center based healthcare organization in Brooklyn, NY. I wrestled at an all male prep school in Baltimore, MD from 1983-87. My best season, as a senior, I was just above .500. Most of my career was spent struggling on the mat to survive the sport, rarely excelling. I had several practice partners that were Nat'l Prep champs. I experienced many, many humbling matches during my career and although it was my "hobby" sport, in between soccer and lacrosse, I loved it and have since. Both my sons wrestled and attended PSU camps. It remains a topic we bond over still today. Like others, this forum is a happy space for me to lose myself each day for a few minutes. I enjoy the banter, knowledge and certainly the laughs from the more dedicated posters. I am also grateful for their investment in time and thought. Also, like many of you, I am in awe of most college wrestlers let alone those at PSU. They are incredible to watch and they bring me such simple joy and happiness, sports at its best, IMO. As a leader myself, Cael fascinates me. There is just so much positive going on at PSU. It keeps me coming back. Peace and love, Peace and love.

34yo, 1 son and a daughter due next week. actuary. born and raised in the philly burbs and back here as a grown up, PSU 09. never wrestled, i played basketball and chess growing up. i did a weight loss challenge in 2015 and found a guide to cutting weight for wrestling so i started following the sport then and my only regret is wandering over the test board on occasion.

I am 63 and have been around wrestling all of my life. My Dad was a long time wrestling coach and is in the PA Wrestling Hall of Fame, among a bunch of other Halls of Fame. I was more of a baseball player and played baseball in college, albeit at an NAIA school (got a hit off of John Stuper, former Cardinal pitcher, when he was at Point Park). My kids graduated from Penn State and James Madison. Have been a long term PSU wrestling season ticket holder and have also attended many away matches, Big Ten tournaments and NCAA championships and events like the Southern Scuffle. Don't travel quite as much as I used to. Have been in healthcare administration from a career perspective since the 1980's. Look forward to retiring in a little over 2 years. Hopefully my health will allow me to travel more than I have over the last five years or so. Looking forward to this year and hope we can attend matches at Rec Hall, even if we all have to wear masks.

I'm 25. Started wrestling in junior high because my english teacher coached and convinced me it was a good way to stay in shape for football. Good thing he did because I played d-line and stopped growing the next year lol. Was a respectable, but not spectacular high school wrestler. Caught the injury bug bad my junior and senior seasons, but am very proud that I was able to at least make it back out on the mat for the post season each year to be the weird kid making a run with only 8-10 matches on the year. I briefly left the team after getting hurt again my senior year, but my coach convinced me to come back and give it a go, which I was able to do. I'm more proud of that than any victory.

Could have maybe wrestled somewhere at the lower divisions, but was pretty burnt out by the end and ready to move on. I was one of the anomalies that loved practice, coaching, and watching wrestling far more than I liked competing. Now I just enjoy being a fan.

fun thread. I am the Risk Manager at a Big 12 school, and have been here since 1986. I have been on the mat since 1965, either as a wrestler, coach, or official. Sometimes 2 of the 3 at the same tournament. Made a bad choice after 2 years of playing football and wrestling at a Juco, and went football. Unsuccessfully, I might add. Injury problems. 2 sons, both wrestlers-one former, one current. Almost lost one last week, scary as hell. Know that the wrestling community is one of the most supportive groups around. Even though we pretend (for the most part) to fight with each other.

Nothing makes a gym floor shine better than being covered with mats!

My biggest claim to fame is getting pinned by two world champs, back to back, at the old Great Plains open in Lincoln, NE in 1980. If I would have won one of those matches, I would have been in the round robin for medals. No hope....

Born and raised on the left coast (California), but don’t hold that against me. I’ll be 50 in September, married with four young adult boys. Finishing up my 22nd year as a fireman.
I caught the wrestling bug late and started my sophomore year of high school. Was mediocre at best, but fell I love with the sport. I’ve always been a PSU football fan and stared following the wrestling team about a year before Cael came. Now I loosely follow the baseball and volleyball teams.
I really enjoy reading all of the posts, there is a wealth of knowledge on here. Thanks fellas!!!

fun thread. I am the Risk Manager at a Big 12 school, and have been here since 1986. I have been on the mat since 1965, either as a wrestler, coach, or official. Sometimes 2 of the 3 at the same tournament. Made a bad choice after 2 years of playing football and wrestling at a Juco, and went football. Unsuccessfully, I might add. Injury problems. 2 sons, both wrestlers-one former, one current. Almost lost one last week, scary as hell. Know that the wrestling community is one of the most supportive groups around. Even though we pretend (for the most part) to fight with each other.

Nothing makes a gym floor shine better than being covered with mats!

My biggest claim to fame is getting pinned by two world champs, back to back, at the old Great Plains open in Lincoln, NE in 1980. If I would have won one of those matches, I would have been in the round robin for medals. No hope....
CowboyUp61, I am so glad your son is doing better! I can only imagine how worried you were; very scary. We have similar stories, as I was pinned by Olympic champion Dave Shultz at an Open tournament not long after he won his gold medal :)

I'm 50 and live in Northern VA. My dad was a 3-sport athlete from Johnstown, who moved to Waynesboro, PA in 11th grade, where he met my mom. When they had my two brothers & me, Mom told him we were allowed to wrestle but were never allowed to cut weight. I started in 1st or 2nd grade, had decent success in Elem School. My dad left when I was 9, and my teammate competitors began to catch & surpass me. Was JV in 7th & 8th, and Varsity in 9th. In 10th, wrestling for Coach Dave Weber (PSU '72 I believe?), I quit halfway through the season. He was pretty bummed out with me, and I was pretty bummed with myself. I skipped 11th, but in 12th I missed the sport & wanted to do it again. My mom made me go ask Coach if he would let me come back, I did, and he agreed. Man, I was terrible. Went 0-12. Had one guy on the ropes in a tourney. With my cradle locked up, I'd misinterpreted Coach Weber's exhortations to watch my back and was so proud of myself when ref slapped the mat. Until I saw Coach's face & learned I had freakin pinned myself. Still, the practices, the bus rides, and admittedly, the beer drinking with my teammates made that the best year of my career. My Wboro wrestling teams had hardly any brown-skinned kids and zero women, but I always appreciated the way the sport equalized the class & academic divides. Mommy/Daddy money and GPA meant nothing when it was time to toe the line, and we did have plenty of wrestlers along both of those spectrums. I might've wrestled club in college, but Dickinson didn't have one, so my interest languished.

Until Cael reinvented the sport in 2009 of course. I was full-swing into the Internet, as an early commenter on BSD, and since then I've leveraged its powers to take my fandom to unimaginable heights. Learned how to do team scoring & open-threads. Started posting some here. Roar invited me to an amazing pre-match social at Androcles' house and I began to meet more & more online folk 'irl' and it was glorious. Went to my first Nationals in 2014 in OKC with Roar & NoVaLion & crew. And then in STL in 2015, on a whim, asked for & received a press credential for BSD and the wrestling world opened up even more! Met Tim Owen & a bunch of friendly folk on the PSU Wrestle beat. Did my first interview with Cael in the tunnels of Scottrade, holding a cracked Android phone shining a spotlight on him & stammered through an awkward question about Matt Brown's strength, right as Adam Coon was walking by to wrestle Gwiz in the finals--about the only thing that was able to take my eye off Cael. Got to sit mat-side with the photographers that first year, and watched, up-close, amazing interviews with Isaiah Martinez, Tom Ryan & Casey Cunningham. Hung with Jason Nickal, who I'd met on the internet, at the PSWC Social and met aspiring, redshirting future-champ Bo. Met Shane Sparks at a gyro stand outside MSG, interviewed Kerry McCoy and stood by while someone else interviewed Dan Gable. Finally hung out with Tikk, as he took us to the best food & drink spots near MSG. Went to my first B1Gs in Lansing, and rode on a party bus with dudes I met on the Internet by listening to their podcasts: Bloodround & The Inside Trip, passing a whiskey bottle with a 4x Michigan State Champ. Sat with Ben & Ohio State fans at Nationals in Cleveland. And watched Anthony Cassar, my absolute favorite Penn State wrestler, beat a future Olympic Champion and win a National Championship in Pittsburgh.

I might be 50 years old with a long-ago actual wrestling history, but in a ton of ways, I'm new to this sport. The Internet keeps it so fresh. There are so many stories to tell & retell & amplify, and new tech is so inviting to new creators, there's really no limit to the fun we can have. Thank you to all of you here who have made this so awesome for me. Can't wait to see you again & tell you so in person. Peace.

53 years old. Born in raised in State College actually Pennsylvania Furnace. Just a stones throw from the Baileyville Grange (frequent auction site for Gilligan). I had cousins who wrestled but I started late...8 th grade. Never went to camps. If you called me a horrible wrestler that would be a compliment! I spent a lot of time counting the lights and looking for missing ceiling tiles! I never made varsity only lucky to wrestle JV cause nobody else at the weight! Kind of embarrassing now, now that I think of it. However, I loved the comradery of the team. During my sophomore year, we were drilling takedowns as quick as coach could blow the whistle. I turned from one partner to take on my next partner...and who do I find myself stand across from senior Rob Koll. Needless to say I did not score a take down! That year the varsity team was very good....ranked rather high in the state.

Today, I work for a non profit in very south central Ohio. Enjoy rural Appalachia....hiking, back packing, camping, hunting (with a safety harness). Went to three different colleges before I figured out what I wanted to do. Started out in a college in Boston, then PSU and finally in a college in Ohio. Been married for 30 years. Two adult daughters. The oldest is a officer in the Coast Guard. She is preparing for her next assignment in Bahrain! The youngest has her first big girl job in Dayton, OH after interning at Gettysburg National Military Park. Very proud of both!

I enjoy following wrestling. Not a single high school in the county has a wrestling team 😔! However, I have taken several men from our church to a couple of Ohio Unv. Bobcat matches. They liked it enough that they went on their own one time when I couldn’t go! I also enjoy the message boards. Great place for wrestling information, laughs, recipes, vacation ideas, gifs and the occasional dumpster fire (but nicely organized)!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT