ADVERTISEMENT

Technical discussion: Taylor vs Nickal

I'm a longtime lurker, first-time poster.

I've been holding in this question for some time because it may come across as dumb, ridiculous, stupid, or all of the above.

I've watched the Trials matches a few times, and I haven't been that disappointed in Bo since he politely allowed Kotlin Moore a respectable decision loss in the NCAA Finals.

I simply felt like with an Olympics berth on the line, we'd see something from Bo. Anything from Bo. The obvious answer is that DT simply negated anything Bo could even think to offer because he's at another level. Fair enough.

But without accusing of anyone of anything, is there a stupid unwritten rule in wrestling that it's DT's time, and Bo should stand down (either as teammates, or just in general)? Bo took some unfair flack for how he left the mat, but I sort of viewed it as disappointment that he really couldn't or didn't put it all out there.

OK, beat me up now...

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been holding in this question for some time because it may come across as dumb, ridiculous, stupid, or all of the above.

I've watched the Trials matches a few times, and I haven't been that disappointed in Bo since he politely allowed Kotlin Moore a respectable decision loss in the NCAA Finals.

I simply felt like with an Olympics berth

?

Reactions: Dogwelder

I simply felt like with an Olympics berth on the line, we'd see something from Bo. Anything from Bo. The obvious answer is that DT simply negated anything Bo could even think to offer because he's at another level. Fair enough.

But without accusing of anyone of anything, is there a stupid unwritten rule in wrestling that it's DT's time, and Bo should stand down (either as teammates, or just in general)? Bo took some unfair flack for how he left the mat, but I sort of viewed it as disappointment that he really couldn't or didn't put it all out there.

OK, beat me up now...

There's a lot of craziness going around in the forum this summer but to kindly and respectfully answer your serious question, in my opinion, no, there is no unwritten rule. Bo lost and it was a tough pill for him to swallow because he clearly wanted to beat DT (or whomever was out there) and represent the US. Bo will hopefully learn from it and come back stronger and represent us at some point in the future. He's definitely got the skill and mindset to do so. DT was just too good this time around. I wouldn't read anything into Bo's reaction.

There's a lot of craziness going around in the forum this summer but to kindly and respectfully answer your serious question, in my opinion, no, there is no unwritten rule. Bo lost and it was a tough pill for him to swallow because he clearly wanted to beat DT (or whomever was out there) and represent the US. Bo will hopefully learn from it and come back stronger and represent us at some point in the future. He's definitely got the skill and mindset to do so. DT was just too good this time around. I wouldn't read anything into Bo's reaction.
Thanks for your perspective. I didn't intend to contribute to the craziness, and I was 99% certain that David was simply too good for Bo, but I didn't see the fire or desparation that I'd expect from that situation. Cox completely neutralized Bo in '19 as well, but that big brother-little brother thing has been nagging at me. I guess when there's not a lot of action to watch, the mind wanders. Thank you for responding fairly and not asking about the naked wrestling among me and my relatives that I so fondly grew up with.

Reactions: David Keller
Thanks for your perspective. I didn't intend to contribute to the craziness, and I was 99% certain that David was simply too good for Bo, but I didn't see the fire or desparation that I'd expect from that situation. Cox completely neutralized Bo in '19 as well, but that big brother-little brother thing has been nagging at me. I guess when there's not a lot of action to watch, the mind wanders. Thank you for responding fairly and not asking about the naked wrestling among me and my relatives that I so fondly grew up with.
It seems like a fair question, but it also seemed pretty clear to me that Bo had almost no pathway to scoring on DT. I think DT’s defense has been his growth area for a while, and grow he has! He has such sound positioning all the time now, it seems. I look forward to the Yazdani rematch because I have a feeling the Iranian won’t be winning this time around after the 1st period. Hope it happens in the gold medal match.

Reactions: diggerpup
It seems like a fair question, but it also seemed pretty clear to me that Bo had almost no pathway to scoring on DT. I think DT’s defense has been his growth area for a while, and grow he has! He has such sound positioning all the time now, it seems. I look forward to the Yazdani rematch because I have a feeling the Iranian won’t be winning this time around after the 1st period. Hope it happens in the gold medal match.
Agree with this. It looked like Bo had no confidence he could beat DT in any position and was waiting for the perfect opportunity that never came. Years of practice room beatings will do that to you. Big brother syndrome.

It seems like a fair question, …
It does not seem like a fair question. It seems like a troll’s question designed to make calling Bo a dishonorable cheater sound like a sincere question from a naive dummy. In short, the question is exactly a page out of KK’s playbook, designed to get us debating stupid basic crap, such as: is it okay to call our own wrestlers dishonorable cheaters? Mission accomplished for KK, because we are falling into that same ludicrously plainly simple trap that practically destroyed the other PSU-wrestling forum.

SunnyAbeFan = KK or equivalent

It does not seem like a fair question. It seems like a troll’s question designed to make calling Bo a dishonorable cheater sound like a sincere question from a naive dummy. In short, the question is exactly a page out of KK’s playbook, designed to get us debating stupid basic crap, such as: is it okay to call our own wrestlers dishonorable cheaters? Mission accomplished for KK, because we are falling into that same ludicrously plainly simple trap that practically destroyed the other PSU-wrestling forum.

Wow, ok. I’m not hip to all that background I guess. I said “seems like,” and stand by it. It’s clearly not remotely close to the truth. Bo is up there in raw competetiveness with Cael and JB. For any fan paying attention, the thought of him taking any kind of dive is pretty laughable—but not all fans have been paying attention for long. If this guy is trolling he’s gonna have to try harder.

Bo‘s post college trajectory has been very similar to DT’s. Bo has been second fiddle to Cox,now DT.

Bo isnt going to benefit from UWW adding a weight like DT did (fire away,but true) so it must indeed be a bitter pill to know these guys are ahead of you, and have a couple cycles still left in em.

Just ask him if he was a state champ in PA and NY during the same year. Then you will have your answer.

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder

I think that’s unfair.
Shit. I started the thread.

I felt the same thing - I expected Bo to let it fly a little more.
But, DT always seemed to be in correct position and balanced.

But I was hoping some posters would take the deep dive and do a technical breakdown. No need to call anyone KK.

Sorry I can't join your fraternity of meaningless opinions. The reality is that I'm as big a wrestling fan and PSU wrestling fan or bigger than you. My opinions are every bit as irrelevant as yours, but I just haven't posted enough to have my irrelevant opinions not viewed as a troll. Congrats on achieving your life's goal of knocking others who don't share your irrelevant opinions. Like pledging a fraternity all over again. Thanks to those who offered a fair perspective because I wanted to know if anyone saw it similarly. I had hoped not, so I could put my suspicions of big-brotherism to rest.

Sorry I can't join your fraternity of meaningless opinions. The reality is that I'm as big a wrestling fan and PSU wrestling fan or bigger than you. My opinions are every bit as irrelevant as yours, but I just haven't posted enough to have my irrelevant opinions not viewed as a troll. Congrats on achieving your life's goal of knocking others who don't share your irrelevant opinions. Like pledging a fraternity all over again. Thanks to those who offered a fair perspective because I wanted to know if anyone saw it similarly. I had hoped not, so I could put my suspicions of big-brotherism to rest.
Sanshiro,
Don't let us knock the wind out of your sails. Everyone has to run the gauntlet sooner or later around here. You just ran yours earlier than most.
Stick around. I haven't even been able to GIF you yet. ;)

Sanshiro,
Don't let us knock the wind out of your sails. Everyone has to run the gauntlet sooner or later around here. You just ran yours earlier than most.
Stick around. I haven't even been able to GIF you yet. ;)
I would be honored to be GIFfed. What's a good one for a troll that calls his own wrestlers dishonorable cheaters? Speaking of cheating, my claim to fame is that Sunny Abe cheated off me on a test or two in a business class. Hence, I believe I have made a legitimate and significant contribution to PSU wrestling success, and I think I should be held in the highest regard on this board. Or a spot on the wall of champions seems reasonable.

Back into the shadows unless I think DT put big money on Yazdani...

I would be honored to be GIFfed. What's a good one for a troll that calls his own wrestlers dishonorable cheaters? Speaking of cheating, my claim to fame is that Sunny Abe cheated off me on a test or two in a business class. Hence, I believe I have made a legitimate and significant contribution to PSU wrestling success, and I think I should be held in the highest regard on this board. Or a spot on the wall of champions seems reasonable.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

That's OK. I can use all the help I can get.

Unless you also translated your work into Japanese, I think you are taking too much credit.

Btw I'm a big Penn State, Pittsburgh Central Catholic, Pitt Bulls, North Alleghney fan.

Unless you also translated your work into Japanese, I think you are taking too much credit.

Btw I'm a big Penn State, Pittsburgh Central Catholic, Pitt Bulls, North Alleghney fan.

He could barely speak English but he knew just enough to know he should copy my amswers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT