ADVERTISEMENT

Teasdale/Teske

You had to go there, didn't you?

This guy never won a state title, walked on, had a neck injury severe enough that he was advised to retire, instead he took out a returning national champ at NCAAs and made the podium.

BjWSlkfCUAAYRQB.jpg

And I'll add this for banjo's edumacation:

Jimmy G was a PROLIFIC shooter AND finisher his entire life... until he reached college. What happened to this facet of his game will remain a mystery.
Not much of a mystery. He never got comfortable turning a corner, or using his head to create seperation. He was quick enough to get in on just about anybody's legs. But for whatever reason it was always straight in, pause and adjust. By the time he got adjusted, many good guys had made their adjustments also.

Not recognizing Taylor's progression is either idiotic or just not aware. Taylor showed up and in his first competition he got his ass handed to him by Cyler Sanderson. A month later he either beat Sanderson or lost to him by a point. I thought he had the winning TD the ref didn't. I suppose you think Taylor just kind of happened upon that ankle pick series. This is a problem with not just you, but many. You think great recruits just show up and bam they figure out shit on their own. A room full of great recruits with poor coaching do not become great competitors. A room full of great recruits with great coaching, now you have something.
That's one major idiocy.

Another is the poster's emphasis on "finishing." The best finishers are the guys with the best attacks. Best setups, cleanest and crispest shots. And what worked against your HS JV practice partner doesn't cut it against college All-Americans.

That's one major idiocy.

Another is the poster's emphasis on "finishing." The best finishers are the guys with the best attacks. Best setups, cleanest and crispest shots. And what worked against your HS JV practice partner doesn't cut it against college All-Americans.
Now wait a minute. Are you saying finishing an attack can be dependent upon how you start an attack and there might be many little nuances between start here and finish there.

Thank God all of our guys learned that shyt before they got here.

Reactions: pawrest01
Now wait a minute. Are you saying finishing an attack can be dependent upon how you start an attack and there might be many little nuances between start here and finish there.

Thank God all of our guys learned that shyt before they got here.
Yes ... and I'm also old enough to remember when Jim Vollrath beat Alex Dieringer -- the only non-NCAA champ ever to do so.

Nolf regressed to his 2nd title(2 more than rutgers has) squeaking by the 2nd,4th,6th place guys with a nail biter 16-0 semi win and giving up 2 escapes to an undefeated Hidlay in finals. He could have settled for a flo feature about how tough he is when he's hurt and things don't go his way,but instead he made things go his way and now he's not a warrior,fighting through injuries to place against all odds,he's not macho and tough, he's the valid injury excuse in Happy Valley and 2x returning champ. Too bad goodale couldn't have got Jimmy to transfer in so he could develope him like he did #3 recruit in the nation to zero time AA Mario

Last edited:
Micah Jordan wonders what regressing Nolf did last year? o_O
Regressed from two legs to one. Should improve back to 2 legs this year.

In all seriousness, Jason Nolf completely reinvented himself in less than 6 weeks while rehabilitating, and gave up a grand total of 1 takedown combined at the nation's 2 biggest ass-kicking contests while wrestling on 1 leg. But that was all talent. Cael can't coach.

1st, I brought up finishing, in specific reference to Teasdale's apparent challenge finishing copious shots on Glory. Our guys also grow dramatically in setups, motion, etc.

2nd: I don't always get why we defend this laughable concept that Cael can't coach. Anyone ever get a glimpse of the shelf in that meeting room in Lorenzo? There is a 3" binder there labelled "Recruiting." Word is out on that. What the bitter and confused crowd doesn't know about yet is the 9" one next to it labelled "coaching." The longer it goes without their knowledge of such "solid gold" intel, the further into history they will fade.

Micah Jordan wonders what regressing Nolf did last year? o_O
Source. Consider the source. A fan from the self-annointed perennial top 5 New Jersey program. You know the one, never finished top 10 and the best wrestler ever was trained elsewhere.

This guy never won a state title, walked on, had a neck injury severe enough that he was advised to retire, instead he took out a returning national champ at NCAAs and made the podium.

BjWSlkfCUAAYRQB.jpg
What a great Pic!! That was an awesome moment in PSU wrestling History. I will never forget that match. Thanks for that pic El-Jefe, it puts a lot of what these kids go through and put on the line in perspective

Last edited:
Reactions: JBott and danoftw
I wish I could like this 1,000 times. Cenzo caught some flak on this message board his true freshman season and continues to be underrated by some (outside this message board) to this day. IMar would be in the discussion for GOAT if not for Cenzo.
I wish I could like YOUR post 1000 times.

Hard not to chuckle reading some of the mental gymnastics used by many outside here who are obviously not impressed enough by Cenzo. I read a post by one who is held in high esteem the other day pointing out the low number of AAs he beat last year.

The only AA the last two years that really mattered he beat by fall and 6-1. That guy would undoubtedly be considered top 5 to10 all time if not for Cenzo. Not sure that anyone has a better NCAA win in either of the past two years. (Could be wrong, going off the top of my head)

The guy is 2 for 2 when it counts and on pace to be among a very select few in history.

When you leave this message board Nolf gets gracious respect universally, Bo gets respect spit out of the mouth like a bad taste, and everyone waits for Cenzo to lose the big one. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
I pretty sure I saw that guy playing his "Banjo" years ago somewhere, what was it.....?

Oh yeah, that movie, Deliverance I believe. age has treated him well, he still looks about the same.

And I'll add this for banjo's edumacation:
Had the chance when James had this great year to visit with his dad at Big Ten's..He was at the same hotel in Madison,Wis. very nice gentleman and I told him how proud he should be of his son. I also told him I really felt he could AA cause of his attitude etc. Really was so happy for both James and his dad..This is what I enjoy the most about this sport to meet people this and learn what they go through to get what they want.

I wish I could like YOUR post 1000 times.

Hard not to chuckle reading some of the mental gymnastics used by many outside here who are obviously not impressed enough by Cenzo. I read a post by one who is held in high esteem the other day pointing out the low number of AAs he beat last year.

The only AA that really mattered the last two years that really mattered he beat by fall and 6-1. That guy would undoubtedly be considered top 5 to10 all time if not for Cenzo. Not sure that anyone has a better NCAA win in either of the past two years. (Could be wrong, going off the top of my head)

The guy is 2 for 2 when it counts and on pace to be among a very select few in history.

When you leave this message board Nolf gets gracious respect universally, Bo gets respect spit out of the mouth like a bad taste, and everyone waits for Cenzo to lose the big one. Good luck with that.
Not including wrestlers who went undefeated for 3 years when freshmen were ineligibile:

If Martinez never loses to Cenzo, he's easily #2 behind Cael. 4x champ, career record 116-1 with the only loss to a 3x champ who he later beat at the B10 and NCAA Finals. Key wins:
- 3x champ Jason Nolf (2x)
- presumably 2x champ Cenzo (5x)
- 2x finalist Dylan Ness
- 2x world medalist James Green (2x)

Plus bonus points for a Half Dake.

Reactions: dicemen99
I bet we do not.
Even if the competition is tight, each kid can have 4 matches without it impacting redshirt status.

I’m not sure that this rule applies to wrestling, I was under the impression that it was for football only.

I’m not sure that this rule applies to wrestling, I was under the impression that it was for football only.
Dang. I thought it was across the board. Oh well. Other then the keystone classic I do not believe Schnupp is the starter. I know as a Hawk that doesn't concern you, but I put it here anyhow.

I thought I remembered that they might implement the new redshirt rule in other sports after testing in football this year.

I thought I remembered that they might implement the new redshirt rule in other sports after testing in football this year.

My guess is that maybe in the next few years, you will see it across the board. Doesn’t basketball have a similar rule in place that allows a certain percentage of games before redshirt?

Just read in another thread that thye can wrestle up to 4 nonconference meets.

Info came from Nate Carr, others say it is not true... so, anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
Just read in another thread that thye can wrestle up to 4 nonconference meets.

Info came from Nate Carr, others say it is not true... so, anyone know for sure?
I thought this was the new rule also.
Roar?

I thought this was the new rule also.
Roar?
Football ONLY, for now. Exact NCAA language was posted in another thread...I'll find it and copy/paste here too.

Here 'tis...
12.8.3.1 Minimum Amount of Competition. Any competition, regardless of time, during a season in an intercollegiate sport shall be counted as a season of competition in that sport, except as provided in Bylaws
12.8.3.1.1, 12.8.3.1.2, 12.8.3.1.4, 12.8.3.1.5 and 12.8.3.1.6. This provision is applicable to intercollegiate athletics competition conducted by a two-year or four-year collegiate institution at the varsity or subvarsity level. (Note: The Bylaw references are unrelated to any exception for wrestling)

12.8.3.1.6 Exception—Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, a student-athlete may compete in up to four contests in a season without using a season of competition.

EDITORIAL
IF it happens, and I suspect it will, it will not go wrestling-only, and will apply to most other NCAA sports, all at the same time. Serious consideration, with discussion re. applicability to each and every sport will take time, imo.

T
Watched it at least 100 times seems odd but I liken Imar to a shark. It seems when flips on his back he goes into a tonic state. With both the Nolf and VJ pins he flops a round a little but you can tell few times in his career here's been there and he doesn't seem to know what to do. Ive been impressed with Bo, Nolf and VJ- although very rare have each fought hard to get off their backs. Imar no so much.

Actually, I think a more apropos comparison would be to liken Imar to a mean ass snapper turtle. When he flips on his back he goes into a tonic flailing state.

My guess is that maybe in the next few years, you will see it across the board. Doesn’t basketball have a similar rule in place that allows a certain percentage of games before redshirt?

The unintended consequences of the modified redshirt rule have many top level football coaches on edge. They will push against the 4 game experiment behind closed doors this winter. No doubt the players love the new flexibility in terms of managing their careers. Is the NCAA gonna listen to the kids and expand the rule to other sports or quietly acquiesce to the fat cats who garner the big bucks? Best guess here is that the worm has turned and the money grabbers in Indy are gonna liberalize the rules and do what ever else it takes to prevent paying the players in revenue producing sports.

THANK YOU! I was thinking the exact same thing! Knowledge is power!

BjWSlkfCUAAYRQB.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT