ADVERTISEMENT

Teasdale loses to Rumph from Wartburg

Was there any effort being made in the first semester? Was there any effort being made the day he came back to the room from rehab? Based on the interview (which I had already listened to), it seems the answer was no. So I think the question is why did it take so long for that result to happen? And I think the answer is that Cael really wanted him at 125.
Where else was he going to wrestle if not 125? Didn't hear anything about him rolling in and destroying RBY or Lee in the room so Cael didn't have to shuffle guys to make room for him.

Teasdale was largely a feet first guy in HS -- and really good at it. SO states he won every match by TF, all takedown tourney, 20+ pts in every match, every opponent was a future D1 recruit. It really was a sight to behold.

JR state finals was the first clue -- he did win the match 13-5 but lost the last 2 periods badly. Opponent (Austin Clabaugh, now a PSU backup) was a good crossbody rider but no Zain. Teasdale in the 2nd made Kenny Courts look good on bottom. Clabaugh beat him up so bad, he had nothing left in the 3rd.

When he committed to PSU, bottom was definitely a concern. We all thought he'd get a lot of bottom work in the room.

Thanks. That is how I am reading the terrain.
Easier to put the work in and get back to what you know/are good at. IMO

More difficult to develop the skill that can be a brutal process- that would be where I see the concern.

guys should drop it. First match. Anything could be happening. Shouldn't make the assumption he was 100%. One match.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Smh, really?

Both wrestlers scored 1 takedown (excluding the takedown in the final seconds as Teasdale went for broke). The difference was Rumph escaping after getting taken down. Teasdale did not escape after getting taken down. Hence, instead of being tied 4-4, one takedown and 2 escapes apiece, Teasdale was down 4-3 because Rumph rode him out. Rumph won the match with the second period rideout.

If you need an example you're more familiar with, look no further than Hall-Valencia NCAA final last year. 1 takedown each. Valencia escaped in the first. Hall was ridden out after getting taken down in the second. He lost 4-3. Almost identical to the Teasdale match minus the last second desperation takedown.

Any wrestling coach worth his salt emphasizes the importance of ending periods on top. This is why. If you need me to explain other extremely basic wrestling strategy concepts, let me know. I'm happy to help.
So you are saying the ref gave the D3 kid a takedown when there wasn't a takedown?

Teasdale was largely a feet first guy in HS -- and really good at it. SO states he won every match by TF, all takedown tourney, 20+ pts in every match, every opponent was a future D1 recruit. It really was a sight to behold.

JR state finals was the first clue -- he did win the match 13-5 but lost the last 2 periods badly. Opponent (Austin Clabaugh, now a PSU backup) was a good crossbody rider but no Zain. Teasdale in the 2nd made Kenny Courts look good on bottom. Clabaugh beat him up so bad, he had nothing left in the 3rd.

When he committed to PSU, bottom was definitely a concern. We all thought he'd get a lot of bottom work in the room.

Kenny Courts mention in a Gavin Teasdale thread, for the win.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Nobody should read too much into this loss. Teasdale is still really good. Young guys often lose early matches you don't expect them to lose.

Reactions: Goathead88
What becomes of young Gavin has yet to be written, and this loss won't define him … his future and the rest of is career will.

That said, I'm not sure why there's 170 posts. He's not at PSU, and it's much preferable to talk about our guys vs going round-and-round on a non-PSU'er. Sure, free world and free speech and all, but this horse is dead and still being beaten. And for anyone thinking they're defending Cael's honor, or handling of this situation, it's unnecessary. #highcharacter

Nobody should read too much into this loss. Teasdale is still really good. Young guys often lose early matches you don't expect them to lose.
Taking a loss as a freshman is no big deal. I think if I were Brands, the concern for me is Gavins desire to be on the mat. I started wrestling at 6, by 17 I admit I was burnt out. If Gavin was at that place, hating the sport, Is that an easy fix? I really dont think it is. I couldnt imagine piling on a full academic schedule on top of it. Especially for someone who admits to not being a very good student to begin with.

So to review, we have a student athlete that struggles in school, trying to reignite a fire to compete and away from family and friends while doing it. Taking that all in I can easily see him taking a loss to a D3 kid. Hes D1 though so he needs to be right in all aspects to compete at that level regardless of how good he was. I honestly hope he succeeds but mostly that he gets his degree. I still hold the opinion that he won't finish his college career at a D1 school. I wouldnt be surprised to see him somewhere like UPJ down the road. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that..

Reactions: Dogwelder
I gotta visit here more often
As far as the kid Rumph goes I got to watch him at senior nationals and came away impressed with him, More so after he almost came away with a win against Mathews in that all star dual. I was surprised to see he went D3 as he looked like a D1 talent to me but there are many guys with D1 talent who choose to go with other options for various reasons. As far as Teasdale himself and some of the comments I’ve seen made here regarding what I perceived to be a shot at Cael’s integrity I will just say this, Cael and the rest of the PSU staff went to great lengths to help out Teasdale while he was at PSU. You can only do so much for someone before enough is enough. As some of you may remember I noted after the scuffle last year I got a chance to talk to him a little bit after finding out why he didn’t wrestle. I came away thinking he was a nice kid but he also would come up with a ton of excuses and tell you what you wanted to hear. I’m glad to see he took ownership of all of this in an interview.

They don't seem to hate wrestling him.

Does today mean he's at the level of 6th place at D2 Super Regional V? Because his opponent took 5th there last year.
He is regressing in the Iowa room. But seriously he is still finding his way. Hopefully he stays the course.

Seriously......Airk Furseth is a Redshirt Senior & DII All-American who had a 30-8 record as a Soph......27-6 as a Jr. and is a 2X Koch winner at 133. Teasdale winning a few matches and losing 7-5 in the finals......after what he has been through......I would say.....well done. If he is getting his mind and academics in order......he is winning.

1186 more replies to go. :rolleyes:
Needs accusations,doctors,lawyers,advocates,insiders,associates, some really clever name calling,pizza,wild hogs,etc to reach Teasdale Now Back? status. Don't think this board has the right posters to take a thread there. Is there a portal for forum posters? We could bring in the worst,drunkest, angriest,best liars and guys to fire off likes for them and probably still not get there.

Needs accusations,doctors,lawyers,advocates,insiders,associates, some really clever name calling,pizza,wild hogs,etc to reach Teasdale Now Back? status. Don't think this board has the right posters to take a thread there. Is there a portal for forum posters? We could bring in the worst,drunkest, angriest,best liars and guys to fire off likes for them and probably still not get there.

Maybe if our mods reinstate Bluebird?

Reactions: danoftw and El-Jefe
Lol. Count me out I'm banned over there lmfao

Yes, and eventually Minnesota or Nebraska will figure out how to close it behind Jammen.

Reactions: danoftw
My call for the best pizza in Happy Valley is the Hofbrau in Bellefonte. Don't think they offer wild boar as a topping.
Totally agree. Hands down, not anyone even close. Try the thin crust......excellent!!! Tim G. has it workin there. Otto’s on tap and Bellefonte Distillery booze too. Can’t go wrong night out.

ADVERTISEMENT