ADVERTISEMENT

Teasdale loses to Rumph from Wartburg

Was there any effort being made in the first semester? Was there any effort being made the day he came back to the room from rehab? Based on the interview (which I had already listened to), it seems the answer was no. So I think the question is why did it take so long for that result to happen? And I think the answer is that Cael really wanted him at 125.
All roads lead back to the same dead end

I'm done wasting time on this

LOL certainly not blaming Cael for the choices Gavin made and totally understand Cael's eventual decision, just find the timing of the "last straw" interesting, given it was not long after he apparently failed to make 125 for the Scuffle.

Edit: No, I don't know the specific reason he was finally removed from the roster. But neither does really anyone here.

Then why are accusing Cael of something? I mean, I'm not even sure what specifically you are accusing him of because all you want to do imply that Cael used him or something. You don't know why Gavin left the program yet you are convinced Cael Sanderson did something ethically wrong. It's pure mental gymnastics to confirm an obvious bias you already have.

Reactions: diggerpup and Ski
What’s the saying ?

You can lead a horse to water .... but if the horse already hates Cael, that horse will probably die of thirst.

Something like that.

I did better in the haiku thread.

You can lead a lion to water, but if the water is flowing out of the HR cesspool.....NVM

Reactions: diggerpup
What’s the saying ?

You can lead a horse to water .... but if the horse already hates Cael, that horse will probably die of thirst.

Something like that.

I did better in the haiku thread.
"You can lead a donkey to water, but you can't make a jackass drink"

Just a little background on Kris Rumph of Wartburg. Rumph is an Indiana kid who started wrestling late (Earliest results I can find are 2015). He's very athletic and was considered very raw coming out of HS. How he signed with Wartburg, I am not sure. But I do know this....
- He won the DIII Regional last year at 149. DNP at Nationals
- He dropped two weight classes and he is ranked #4 now at 133 in DIII
- He was a 3x Placer in the single class IN State Tournament, finishing 1st, 2nd and 4th.
- In 2018, he beat Matt Lee twice, the 2nd time a dominating 20-8 major in the State Quarterfinal at 138 lbs.
- Wartburg is ranked #3 in DIII
- He's a true sophomore. I think he has a very high ceiling.

None of this is to excuse a loss from Teasdale, who is supposed to be the starter for DI Iowa. A starter at Iowa SHOULD beat a DIII wrestler even if he's a NC. But I thought it would at least give some perspective on the guy that beat him, knowing he's not a scrub.

Thank you for his CV.

How could being ridden out in the 2nd be the difference in the match? There was an entire period left, and he did not give up a RT point.
Smh, really?

Both wrestlers scored 1 takedown (excluding the takedown in the final seconds as Teasdale went for broke). The difference was Rumph escaping after getting taken down. Teasdale did not escape after getting taken down. Hence, instead of being tied 4-4, one takedown and 2 escapes apiece, Teasdale was down 4-3 because Rumph rode him out. Rumph won the match with the second period rideout.

If you need an example you're more familiar with, look no further than Hall-Valencia NCAA final last year. 1 takedown each. Valencia escaped in the first. Hall was ridden out after getting taken down in the second. He lost 4-3. Almost identical to the Teasdale match minus the last second desperation takedown.

Any wrestling coach worth his salt emphasizes the importance of ending periods on top. This is why. If you need me to explain other extremely basic wrestling strategy concepts, let me know. I'm happy to help.

Smh, really?

Both wrestlers scored 1 takedown (excluding the takedown in the final seconds as Teasdale went for broke). The difference was Rumph escaping after getting taken down. Teasdale did not escape after getting taken down. Hence, instead of being tied 4-4, one takedown and 2 escapes apiece, Teasdale was down 4-3 because Rumph rode him out. Rumph won the match with the second period rideout.

If you need an example you're more familiar with, look no further than Hall-Valencia NCAA final last year. 1 takedown each. Valencia escaped in the first. Hall was ridden out after getting taken down in the second. He lost 4-3. Almost identical to the Teasdale match minus the last second desperation takedown.

Any wrestling coach worth his salt emphasizes the importance of ending periods on top. This is why. If you need me to explain other extremely basic wrestling strategy concepts, let me know. I'm happy to help.
So the match ended after 2 periods?

Come on.

Justifying why a D1 bluest of the blue chip recruit loses to a D3 kid........

Is peak interneting

Well done. Stupid and silly but entertaining as all heck.

Justifying why a D1 bluest of the blue chip recruit loses to a D3 kid........

Is peak interneting

Well done. Stupid and silly but entertaining as all heck.
It was a terrible loss. I was mostly giving a guy who I've followed since high school some credit.

Reactions: hlstone

Come on.

So you don’t think it would’ve been beneficial for him to get an escape in a match where he was losing by 1 until there were only a couple seconds left?

Of course, something different could’ve then happened in the 3rd or he could’ve lost in OT.

Come on.
Either trolling or willfully ignorant. Obviously, Teasdale (and Hall) could have overcome the rideout in the third period. Both tried. Both failed. When you look back at the match and ask "What made the difference?" the answer is clear to anybody with a rudimentary knowledge of wrestling. They got ridden out after getting taken down in the second period. Without that, they're sitting at 4-4 in the third where their opponent can't just shut down and play defense, making getting a winning takedown easier. You'd think a Penn State fan would get this after the Hall-Valencia NCAA final where this situation clearly manifested itself.

Idk why you're fighting this. It's not as if this being the difference in the match makes Teasdale look any better. He failed to execute at a critical moment and he paid for it.

Are you his mother?
Apparently, he's just somebody that understands that being tied in the third is better than losing in the third. Such a crazy thing to think.

I've had an easier time explaining basic match strategy to first year junior high kids.

Either trolling or willfully ignorant. Obviously, Teasdale (and Hall) could have overcome the rideout in the third period. Both tried. Both failed. When you look back at the match and ask "What made the difference?" the answer is clear to anybody with a rudimentary knowledge of wrestling. They got ridden out after getting taken down in the second period. Without that, they're sitting at 4-4 in the third where their opponent can't just shut down and play defense, making getting a winning takedown easier. You'd think a Penn State fan would get this after the Hall-Valencia NCAA final where this situation clearly manifested itself.

Idk why you're fighting this. It's not as if this being the difference in the match makes Teasdale look any better. He failed to execute at a critical moment and he paid for it.
Willfully ignorant is saying that a 2nd period rideout is THE difference in the match, when he still had 2 minutes to score 1 pt for OT or 2 pts to win.

It was A difference in the match. A significant difference.

The match was still there to be won. His failure to score in the 3rd was THE difference.

And, yes, I totally understand that the 2nd period rideout was not a good thing for him. We simply disagree on the magnitude of it.

And your comment about basic match strategy is uncalled for. Do you tell JR HS kids that they should just quit if their strategy fails? Of course not. You tell them that they need to adjust and persist.

Willfully ignorant is saying that a 2nd period rideout is THE difference in the match, when he still had 2 minutes to score 1 pt for OT or 2 pts to win.

The match was still there to be won. His failure to score in the 3rd was THE difference.

And, yes, I totally understand that the 2nd period rideout was not a good thing for him. We simply disagree on the magnitude of it.

And your comment about basic match strategy is uncalled for. Do you tell JR HS kids that they should just quit if their strategy fails? Of course not. You tell them that they need to adjust and persist.
Already addressed this argument. Obviously, Teasdale could have overcome it.

BUT, when you look back at the match and pick one moment that had the most impact on the outcome of the match, it was unquestionably the 2nd period rideout. Without it, Teasdale is in a much better position to win the match. The same is true for Hall against Zahid. He would tell you that. Cael would tell you that. The difference in being tied vs. being down by 1 in the 3rd is huge. If you want to double down to prove some kind of point, what point that is I have no idea, go ahead. But everyone else knows that the difference in the match was the rideout.

And your comment about the junior high kids is the best example of willfully ignorant yet. Where in there could you possibly draw that interpretation? Obviously, you keep working when strategy pays off. Doesn't mean you can't acknowledge the strategic failure afterwards. If one of my wrestlers loses a match like Hall did, I'm pointing out that if he could have gotten away at the end of the second, it's tied match. Takes nothing away from his/her efforts to win during the match. Just bizarre dude. Give it up.

It sounded like you were giving Teasdale credit.
Lol, I'm not delusional. Teasdale gets no credit for losing to a D3 guy. I'm excited for Rumph because he was one of my favorite in state kids when he was in high school and it's good to see him with a big win.

I think part of the point is an escape should be easier to get than a takedown. Even if he gets a takedown in the 3rd, unless he rides Rumph out then they’re going to OT.

But as seems to be the case for a few highly regarded freshmen/redshirt freshmen already this season, mat wrestling is a lot different in college than high school, even if a D1 guy is wrestling a D3 guy apparently.

Reactions: js8793
I have one question that has yet to be answered in all the years Ive been hanging out here.

Since we have coaches, analysts, smartasses and the like convened to make their points, can someone please explain to me .......

the intricacies of hitting a duck under while trailing in a match

AR-190919995.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

There's a Hula Hoop tree in Iowa. We aren't so different, you and I.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
I have one question that has yet to be answered in all the years Ive been hanging out here.

Since we have coaches, analysts, smartasses and the like convened to make their points, can someone please explain to me .......

the intricacies of hitting a duck under while trailing in a match
Ask sasso lol

Reactions: Dogwelder
According to track, Teasdale was :02 seconds short of riding time when the kid escaped in the 3rd.

Teasdale also had nearly 2 minutes of neutral time in the 2nd and 3rd where he couldn't get a TD.

Let's all say it again together - against a D3 kid.

Getting ridden out for a minute in the 2nd period is probably the least concerning thing about that match.

According to track, Teasdale was :02 seconds short of riding time when the kid escaped in the 3rd.

Teasdale also had nearly 2 minutes of neutral time in the 2nd and 3rd where he couldn't get a TD.

Getting ridden out for a minute in the 2nd period is probably the least concerning thing about that match.
Especially when Teasdale's strength is his neutral attacking skills.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Gavin Teasdale getting ridden out by a D3 guy should be concerning. Got some work to do there. Neutral skills are like dodgeball, fun to work on. Top game, grinding someone without mercy; I heard Zain enjoyed that a time or two. Getting out from the bottom is more work than fun. Could be a painfull learning curve ahead for GT.

Anyone who saw him a lot in high school know how much experience he had with life on the bottom? Honest question.

Reactions: ItalianLion

That's a totally different conversation. Something can be the difference in the match and not be the most concerning. I'm far more concerned that he didn't score multiple takedowns against a D3 kid than getting ridden out to close the second. Not being dominant in his best position has farther reaching consequences for the future than the rideout.

Doesn't mean getting ridden out wasn't the most pivotal factor in this specific loss. Take Mark's loss. I'd be concerned that he seems to shut down his large offensive arsenal in big matches, instead relying on his defense. That doesn't bode well for future big matches. However, getting ridden out was ultimately the difference in the final. He gets out and Zahid has to go into his wheelhouse to win. That's a much better place for Mark to be.

That's a totally different conversation. Something can be the difference in the match and not be the most concerning. I'm far more concerned that he didn't score multiple takedowns against a D3 kid than getting ridden out to close the second. Not being dominant in his best position has farther reaching consequences for the future than the rideout.

Doesn't mean getting ridden out wasn't the most pivotal factor in this specific loss. Take Mark's loss. I'd be concerned that he seems to shut down his large offensive arsenal in big matches, instead relying on his defense. That doesn't bode well for future big matches. However, getting ridden out was ultimately the difference in the final. He gets out and Zahid has to go into his wheelhouse to win. That's a much better place for Mark to be.

Mark has no offensive diversity

- TR foley

Gavin Teasdale getting ridden out by a D3 guy should be concerning. Got some work to do there. Neutral skills are like dodgeball, fun to work on. Top game, grinding someone without mercy; I heard Zain enjoyed that a time or two. Getting out from the bottom is more work than fun. Could be a painfull learning curve ahead for GT.

Anyone who saw him a lot in high school know how much experience he had with life on the bottom? Honest question.
Teasdale was largely a feet first guy in HS -- and really good at it. SO states he won every match by TF, all takedown tourney, 20+ pts in every match, every opponent was a future D1 recruit. It really was a sight to behold.

JR state finals was the first clue -- he did win the match 13-5 but lost the last 2 periods badly. Opponent (Austin Clabaugh, now a PSU backup) was a good crossbody rider but no Zain. Teasdale in the 2nd made Kenny Courts look good on bottom. Clabaugh beat him up so bad, he had nothing left in the 3rd.

When he committed to PSU, bottom was definitely a concern. We all thought he'd get a lot of bottom work in the room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT