ADVERTISEMENT

Teasdale loses to Rumph from Wartburg

Not sure why you're pointing out the riding time. He got ridden out in the second period after giving up the takedown and that was the difference in the match.
How could being ridden out in the 2nd be the difference in the match? There was an entire period left, and he did not give up a RT point.

Unranked Hughes just knocked off #7 Rocky Jordan.
Rocky Jordan probably isn't the starter on his own team and was wrestling in his first varsity match. He is unranked nationally, as he should be. Perhaps the "7" you refer to was the Brutus team score at the time, not Jordan's national ranking? :eek::oops:

Reactions: backdrft76
How could being ridden out in the 2nd be the difference in the match? There was an entire period left, and he did not give up a RT point.
Because Teasdale was unable to get the escape, subsequent TD and possibly NF he would have if he didn't get taken down.....and ridden out

The mental gymnastics exhibited are amusing. Rumph being touted as a solid kid, should have been D1, etc.

I know some of you are SE PA so I'll just throw this out there - Brett Kaliner majored him at the D3 championships last year 11-2. No disrespect to Brett who is having a great career in D3, but would bet Brett himself would be shocked at the Teasdale result.

Because Teasdale was unable to get the escape, subsequent TD and possibly NF he would have if he didn't get taken down.....and ridden out

The mental gymnastics exhibited are amusing. Rumph being touted as a solid kid, should have been D1, etc.

I know some of you are SE PA so I'll just throw this out there - Brett Kaliner majored him at the D3 championships last year 11-2. No disrespect to Brett who is having a great career in D3, but would bet Brett himself would be shocked at the Teasdale result.
Kaliner from West Chester, right? Without looking at his record, I don't think he ever placed at states, and I can't recall him ever beating a state placer. Maybe he got a AA low placer.

That's still a good HS wrestler, can become a solid college wrestler, but an appetizer for HS Teasdale.

Kaliner from West Chester, right? Without looking at his record, I don't think he ever placed at states, and I can't recall him ever beating a state placer. Maybe he got a AA low placer.

That's still a good HS wrestler, can become a solid college wrestler, but an appetizer for HS Teasdale.
Yes. Good HS wrestler, not great. 2x state qualifier. Perfect for D3 and has done very well at Stephens. He has a couple wins over D1 wrestlers

Wow, this board is talking about a wrestler and his results. Your board trashed the kid until he came to you. What am I missing here? Is someone talking slush funds and PED's regarding Iowa? How all the Brands are awful just like Cael is? This is a wrestling board that is actually talking about wrestlers and a wrestling match. What a concept.

They wanted him for 125

True, when Cael thought Teasdale could make 125, he went through great lengths to keep him around, even making an entire semester disappear. But once he realized Teasdale couldn’t make 125....sayonara.

For the record I do think the HR hype train on him was a bit much (and I don’t think it’s totally derailed yet, I think someone said “Rumph could be the answer to a trivia question,” which would really only be the case if Teasdale goes on to have a great career). Add the facts that this was his first D1 competition and that HR trashed him until a quick change of heart once he transferred, and it’s definitely an interesting discussion.

True, when Cael thought Teasdale could make 125, he went through great lengths to keep him around, even making an entire semester disappear. But once he realized Teasdale couldn’t make 125....sayonara.
Please familiarize yourself with Teasdale's post transfer interview where he describes his Dec/Jan return to PSU: not trying to make weight, hating the sport, self loathing, overall horrible attitude ...

The last time we saw someone named Rumph was in 2001 (hint, he's #8).

chafie-fields-cd674152-1a49-4816-b8e6-67e645e7197-resize-750.jpeg

Please familiarize yourself with Teasdale's post transfer interview where he describes his Dec/Jan return to PSU: not trying to make weight, hating the sport, self loathing, overall horrible attitude ...

Yup, which begs the question, why did Cael try to enter him attached at 125 at the Scuffle?

Yup, which begs the question, why did Cael try to enter him attached at 125 at the Scuffle?
Again, refresh yourself with the interview.

He missed weight by 2-3 lb while not trying to make weight. So he could've if he wanted to.

Easy decision: hold him accountable at the moment and then coach him on improving his daily habits. Works with a willing subject.

See what I mean when I say it goes both ways? Did you see someone start a thread on HR when Teske lost to his own teammate?

You just don't get it. You probably never will. You make bad faith argument and false equivalencies. I mean, I'm not surprised considering the board you consider home.

Reactions: danoftw

Perhaps, but then you left out the little detail about Gavin using illegal drugs, getting shipped off to rehab, and returning to PSU the same troubled person (by his own admission). Fact is he was a bad apple and PSU is better off without him.

You just don't get it. You probably never will. You make bad faith argument and false equivalencies. I mean, I'm not surprised considering the board you consider home.
Oh I get it. I'm 2 steps ahead of you

Perhaps, but then you left out the little detail about Gavin using illegal drugs, getting shipped off to rehab, and returning to PSU the same troubled person (by his own admission). Fact is he was a bad apple and PSU is better off without him.
Or maybe he needed a change of scenery and/or "friends" he was associating with. Maybe he isn't a bad apple after all. Time will tell

Reactions: Fatmarc

Agree with your first sentence. But I'd say that proves my point, as in spite of that, Cael still seemed like he really wanted to get him into the lineup at 125.

This is an unfair assumption. Lots of good people succumb to the temptations of drugs. It doesn't mean they're weak or unworthy of a second chance.

I wish Gavin the best in his recovery. That's a battle that lasts a lifetime and it takes an extremely strong person to win it.

What is your point here?

My point is that I find it interesting that Cael seemingly wanted to keep Teasdale around...as long as he thought he might be able to wrestle 125. But once that was clearly not happening, it was bye bye Gavin.

You guys obviously didn't read the rest of my post, I'm not an Iowa fan either.

This is an unfair assumption. Lots of good people succumb to the temptations of drugs. It doesn't mean they're weak or unworthy of a second chance.

I wish Gavin the best in his recovery. That's a battle that lasts a lifetime and it takes an extremely strong person to win it.

To be clear I never said he was undeserving of a second (or third) chance. Quite the opposite, I think it's good Cael gave him a second chance. I also think it's good Brands took a flier on him.

Reactions: nitlion6 and Reslo
My point is that I find it interesting that Cael seemingly wanted to keep Teasdale around...as long as he thought he might be able to wrestle 125. But once that was clearly not happening, it was bye bye Gavin.

The mental gymnastics that Hawkeye fans (you're a Hawkeye fan) have to do to try to convince themselves that Cael is some terrible person is getting out of control. Do you ever get tired of trying to convince yourself of this? Do you have a collection of gold mental gymnastics medals hanging in your house?

If you have any evidence that shows Cael kicked Gavin out of the program after he missed weight why don't you go ahead and provide it. I'll wait.

You can't help but blame Cael for Teasdale's litany of bad choices.

Might be better to say that given Teasdale's off the mat problems at that time, the PSU program was better off without him. Do not need the distraction. Teasdale not doing well in drug rehab the first time is pretty much par for the course. Good luck to him at Iowa.

It was probably Teasdale broke more team rules which resulted in his removal from the team. The fact that he did not make weight could have had nothing to do with it. Maybe their was a failed drug test or must failed tests.

You can't help but blame Cael for Teasdale's litany of bad choices.

LOL certainly not blaming Cael for the choices Gavin made and totally understand Cael's eventual decision, just find the timing of the "last straw" interesting, given it was not long after he apparently failed to make 125 for the Scuffle.

Edit: No, I don't know the specific reason he was finally removed from the roster. But neither does really anyone here.

You are incredibly uninformed. Listen to GT's interview.

LOL certainly not blaming Cael for the choices Gavin made and totally understand Cael's eventual decision, just find the timing of the "last straw" interesting, given it was not long after he apparently failed to make 125 for the Scuffle.

Edit: No, I don't know the specific reason he was finally removed from the roster. But neither does really anyone here.
Keep telling yourself that.

The undisputed fact is that Cael has had plenty of guys outgrow a weight, struggle to make weight, make weight inconsistently, etc. Berge and Rasheed being two very prominent recent examples.

He has always worked with the athletes on this, as long as the effort is being made.

What Cael has not tolerated is lack of effort and accountability. Teasdale clearly fits into this category by his own admission.

If you contort that into "Teaz got booted for missing weight," that's on you.

You are incredibly uninformed. Listen to GT's interview.

sorry to be Johnnie-come-late, but where is the aforementioned “GT’s interview”. I thought it might have been a Flo interview, but my search proved unsuccessful. (Btw, no horse in this race, just looking to be informed with facts). Thanks in advance.

Keep telling yourself that.

The undisputed fact is that Cael has had plenty of guys outgrow a weight, struggle to make weight, make weight inconsistently, etc. Berge and Rasheed being two very prominent recent examples.

He has always worked with the athletes on this, as long as the effort is being made.

What Cael has not tolerated is lack of effort and accountability. Teasdale clearly fits into this category by his own admission.

If you contort that into "Teaz got booted for missing weight," that's on you.

Was there any effort being made in the first semester? Was there any effort being made the day he came back to the room from rehab? Based on the interview (which I had already listened to), it seems the answer was no. So I think the question is why did it take so long for that result to happen? And I think the answer is that Cael really wanted him at 125.

Was there any effort being made in the first semester? Was there any effort being made the day he came back to the room from rehab? Based on the interview (which I had already listened to), it seems the answer was no. So I think the question is why did it take so long for that result to happen? And I think the answer is that Cael really wanted him at 125.

There were three January duals between the Scuffle and the announced departure on 1-22. If Cael "really wanted to", he could have sent Gavin out to wrestle in one of those duals.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT