ADVERTISEMENT

TE Depth

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
I must have missed it, but what happened to Holland on the TE depth chart?

Great that Bowers is getting healthy and getting playing time, as he was likely going to play as a RS freshman, but Holland was 2nd team and getting some snaps earlier in the year. Is Holland hurt? Or in the dog house?

No real public comment on it. He has three catches for sixteen yards in what was supposed to be a breakout season. He had more yards than that in the Blue White game.

I would have thought that anyone looking for a TE to have a breakout season would have to wait until Gesicki is drafted. Truth is that no TE was going to get many looks this season. Kind of like Sanders not having a breakout year. He'll get his time to shine.

I would have thought that anyone looking for a TE to have a breakout season would have to wait until Gesicki is drafted. Truth is that no TE was going to get many looks this season. Kind of like Sanders not having a breakout year. He'll get his time to shine.

Breakout is a relative word I guess. With Gesicki's rib injury and normal reps, Holland should have had much better stats and been able to establish himself as the next great TE-like Sanders did this season when he had his "limited" carries at RB.

Now, Holland has been bypassed by a walk on and a often injured Bowers. With the new recruits and Dalton, that does not bode well for Holland.

Great that Bowers is getting healthy and getting playing time, as he was likely going to play as a RS freshman, but Holland was 2nd team and getting some snaps earlier in the year. Is Holland hurt? Or in the dog house?

I've asked numerous times and its been silence.
Bowen and Holland are in Franklin's dog house...biggly.
In positive news though Bowers played some good minutes last week and looked good both blocking (yea thats new for us) and receiving.

Reactions: bison13

What doe this post have to do with tight end depth? You guys keep speculating that guys are in CJF doghouse or hurt when you know that no one knows on this board except when CJF rarely announces it. For the longest time people here speculated that Blacknall was in the dog house. after many weeks of this this foolish debate CJF addressed it in a press conference. My point is not that we don't wonder but that asking those speculative questions here is like walking out in the back yard and asking your favorite tree.

Always thought Holland should have played DE (as he originally was recruited for). Given injuries at TE it worked out going into the year on paper but how nice would it be to have another third year DE in the end...

I've asked numerous times and its been silence.
Bowen and Holland are in Franklin's dog house...biggly.
In positive news though Bowers played some good minutes last week and looked good both blocking (yea thats new for us) and receiving.

Yep, reports a year and a half ago, before Bowers got hurt, were that Bowers was an up and coming complete TE. A good blocking TE as well as a sure handed receiver.

I'm looking for a dramatic improvement in the consistency of the running game when we get a TE playing that can block.

I did not see enough of Holland to form an opinion about his blocking. I was at the B/W game and he obviously looked good as a receiver. But he's not the biggest TE....

Yes, this is a message board where people speculate when reliable information is not available........... Not sure why some choose to post in threads that they don't like, when all are free to read only what they choose to read.........

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
I’ve heard that Charles and Bowen are roommates is Holland in the same apartment?

what does an apartment have to do with the ability of Holland as a TE. not sure he is that good. he was okay as a backup.

bottom line is we have no TE even remotely close the the receiving capability of Gesicki. have not seen much of Bowers to know what he can do. in limited play he does look to be a blocker. Dalton has just completed his second year in the program and is MIA so hasnt panned out to date. going forward looks like Bowers could be the blocker and maybe one of the new FR TEs next year would fit the bill.

in passing situations next year we could easily just put in an extra one of our big body WRs to be the TE.

ADVERTISEMENT