ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor Made skins event at Seminole GC - live thread for any interested

I know they have that ridge running through it. I just didn't see good fairway definition. Rory hit a couple wild hooks and didn't get hurt ( one seemed to cross a little canal) . One hole seemed straight but the water penalty area was just straight across the hole.

I thought the green complexes were great. Several were elevated, as well as the next tee, on that dunes ridge. However the fairway imagination by Ross just seemed blah. (and I am a Ross geek).

I have played Jupiter Hills -Hills, stunning! Played behing "Big Momma" that day.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I know they have that ridge running through it. I just didn't see good fairway definition. Rory hit a couple wild hooks and didn't get hurt ( one seemed to cross a little canal) . One hole seemed straight but the water penalty area was just straight across the hole.

I thought the green complexes were great. Several were elevated, as well as the next tee, on that dunes ridge. However the fairway imagination by Ross just seemed blah. (and I am a Ross geek).

I have played Jupiter Hills -Hills, stunning! Played behing "Big Momma" that day.
Funny - I played behind Bob Hope the first time I played it. He was an original partner in the development. I guess Seminole just has to be seen to be believed. I was fortunate in that one of the owners of a course I worked at (now the Dye Preserve) was a member and used to take us, or call us if they needed a 4th. Even the locker room was intimidating. You handed out 20's to everyone you saw 20 years ago + at least fifty for the fore caddy. No free golf there for sure. To play it in the wind is just a wheel-spinning free-4-all. There are stories of the Coleman where 3 US Am champs were in the same group and they averaged 12 on a par 4 because they couldn't keep the ball on the green. Maybe it will look different on tv next year when they host the Walker Cup. If you ever get an invite, get on a plane!

It's also 2 miles from my house, so I certainly have a bias. Elin lives 3 doors down from the clubhouse, and I see her in my Publix from time to time. We did a putting green for her there for her kids - Chris Cline (RIP) - who lived next door - paid for it.

Last edited:
I would never turn down an invite. $20 is my normal palm $$ budget....for the whole staff! Parking valet, locker room guy, starter, club cleaners... total $20, max!

Funny story. About 15 years ago I got an invite to Pine Tree. The member told us it was OK to tip anybody but she said do not tip the starter? At the time, they had no starting times. They had this tall, Afican American starter named Charlie. He controlled a lot. She wanted Charlie to know she was taking care of him. I understand he later got fired for some inappropriate activity.

Reactions: MtNittany
I would never turn down an invite. $20 is my normal palm $$ budget....for the whole staff! Parking valet, locker room guy, starter, club cleaners... total $20, max!

Funny story. About 15 years ago I got an invite to Pine Tree. The member told us it was OK to tip anybody but she said do not tip the starter? At the time, they had no starting times. They had this tall, Afican American starter named Charlie. He controlled a lot. She wanted Charlie to know she was taking care of him. I understand he later got fired for some inappropriate activity.
I love Pine Tree. True Dick Wilson. Read up on George Burns (the golfer, not the comedian). He asked me to be to be his caddy on the senior tour for years. He is a peach. And he has some peaches to deal w/ at Pine Tree, which he didn't much appreciate.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu_1294
George Burns played golf for Maryland. Late 60's. Back then, most colleges played matches, not Invitationals or tourneys. They came up to play PSU. We had White Course only. Blue was just being started.

They had three golfers on that squad that played on tour. George, Billy Ziobro and another who I can't remember. ( It was a few years before Funk). Even though a couple of them seemed hung over, they whacked us pretty well. Back then the ACC was probably th he premier golf conference.

I love Pine Tree. True Dick Wilson. Read up on George Burns (the golfer, not the comedian). He asked me to be to be his caddy on the senior tour for years. He is a peach. And he has some peaches to deal w/ at Pine Tree, which he didn't much appreciate.
BTW George Burns also played football at MD. before he switched to golf completely.

George Burns played golf for Maryland. Late 60's. Back then, most colleges played matches, not Invitational our tourneys. They came up to play PSU. We had White Course only. Blue was just being started.

They had three golfers on that squad that played on tour. George, Billy Ziobro and another who I can't remember. ( It was a few years before Funk). Even though a couple of them seemed hung over, they whacked us pretty well.
Super guy. He didn't like the lesbian LPGA women (I won't name them) infiltrating Pine Tree. We were drinking one afternoon at the Duffy's down there and he told me what he was going to do - basically rip the club's by-laws up and let them have it. I didn't think he was serious, but the meeting was that night, and he actually let them have it. He drank a lot. I mean a LOT. Haven't talked w/ him in probably 10 years. He is a good man. I'll say that. He's an asshole, and the hardest type of man to get close to, but he's from a time long gone unfortunately. His family was worth millions.

I am well aware of the former LPGA members who play at PT. One of my contacts at PT is much from the George Burns' mold and very outspoken against anybody not like himself. And a big drinker. If you are with him, you never pay a dime for anything.

I am well aware of the former LPGA members who play at PT. One of my contacts at PT is much from the George Burns' mold and very outspoken against anybody not like himself. And a big drinker. If you are with him, you never pay a dime for anything.
I just liked George. He's got so much to offer. He was so talented. Today the phrase would be - "Is this the hill you want to die on". Back then it was just drinks and action. lol.

How will Seminole handle the Walker Cup next year? I realize that event doesn’t bring out big crowds but the pictures of the course didn’t show any parking areas or large neighboring fields to park cars. Thx.

How will Seminole handle the Walker Cup next year? I realize that event doesn’t bring out big crowds but the pictures of the course didn’t show any parking areas or large neighboring fields to park cars. Thx.

Doesn’t look like a “crowd-friendly” viewing course either. Suspect they’ll be parking lots available within a mile or two and they’ll run shuttle buses back and forth.

They don't get huge crowds at a Walker Cup. Probably why that is the "big" event they got. Although sometimes the USGA makes you take the lesser events in preparation for a biggy. Another issue is most big USGA events are in summer. Mt. Nittany might chime in here, but I think Seminole is closed in Summer like Augusta.

They don't get huge crowds at a Walker Cup. Probably why that is the "big" event they got. Although sometimes the USGA makes you take the lesser events in preparation for a biggy. Another issue is most big USGA events are in summer. Mt. Nittany might chime in here, but I think Seminole is closed in Summer like Augusta.
Didn't know that, thanks. That explains why next year's Walker Cup is in May rather than its usual September slot.

Another quirky Seminole fact is it closes at 6:00 in the evening. Supposedly, the wives wanted their husbands home for socialite, evening dinners.

There is also a pool at Seminole. Lore has it nobody has ever swam in it??

Reactions: kevin310
ADVERTISEMENT