ADVERTISEMENT

Talked with Mike Reid

Shiniquiet

Aug 5, 2012
last night at a high school reunion for just a few moments. Really didn't know him in high school - nearly 1000 grads - but knew who he was, of course. Anyway, there wasn't a more gracious or engaging person in the room last night. He's a quality guy that speaks well for PSU and all it stands for - made me proud to be an alum.

last night at a high school reunion for just a few moments. Really didn't know him in high school - nearly 1000 grads - but knew who he was, of course. Anyway, there wasn't a more gracious or engaging person in the room last night. He's a quality guy that speaks well for PSU and all it stands for - made me proud to be an alum.

So you are 1964 graduate of Altoona High.

Correction you are 1965 graduate. My bad, I missed calculated on Reid's career at PSU.

Last edited:
I don't know if he sang at the reunion, but if he didn't, he should have.
mrtfh.jpg

I don't know if he sang at the reunion, but if he didn't, he should have.
mrtfh.jpg
Nope, he didn't sing. I doubt he was asked. The thing last night was real informal but there's something tonight that's still casual but a tad more organized. Mike just pretty much stood the whole time as people came up and greeted him, spoke briefly, and by then someone else had come up and it started over again. As far as I can recall this is this first reunion he's made and the class has had a reunion every five years. In talking to others I know how really appreciative they were/are for him taking the time to show up. I'm a member of this class and a 69 PSU alum

He wrote 'I can't make you love me' that Bonnie Rait made into a hit. IMHO, not a more emotional love song has ever been written. I was shocked that a great, hulking, older, male football player could write such wonderful words.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/i-cant-make-you-love-me-lyrics-bonnie-raitt.html

Mike Freight Train Reid as he was known in the day at Altoona High School. One of the greatest ever at PSU, teamed with Steve Smear.

Oftentimes when you get up there in age they start having reunions for multiple classes. Perhaps this was one of them.

Derp

Now that you mentioned it my dad did say that his recent class reunion was a combination of 3 different classes.

I haven't gotten there yet. Only 13 years removed from HS. Holy crap time flies.

He wrote 'I can't make you love me' that Bonnie Rait made into a hit. IMHO, not a more emotional love song has ever been written. I was shocked that a great, hulking, older, male football player could write such wonderful words.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/i-cant-make-you-love-me-lyrics-bonnie-raitt.html
Had many opportunities to speak with and listen to Mike perform while I was in Highschool and he at PSU. He visited mutual friends in my home town on many occasions. He is a smart, thoughtful and sensitive man. Mikes was and is as great a musician and composer as he was a terror on the field. Got to hear him play some of his early creations at parties. Our mutual friends and Mike made me interested in attending PSU in the first place. Mikes 'wonderful words' were always there, even as a very young man.

Early on, he bought the bot lies hook, line, and sinker.
For what it's worth, I believe he never committed himself one way or the other. I thought I was pretty tuned in to hearing what he had to say and was puzzled that I never heard anything regarding this issue.

I agree with all those above who commented on how Mike is thoughtful, engaging and gracious. In my senior of couple of us were having some beers at the Lions Den. Mike was there and he walked over and started talking to us. For a football player and certified Big Man on Campus to talk to nerds like us was unbelievable. Mike acted like we were equals and respected our opinions. To this day I believe he is the poster boy for the Grand Experiment. Not only a great football player but a great student who used his education to make the world better. He is my favorite PSU football player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT