ADVERTISEMENT

Talked to Alabama football player

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
He said Alabama football players get their cars based on some stupid rule that makes them available and legal at 3:00 AM. He also said Mississippi State offered $90,000 to one of his teammates (before Moorhead). He said everyone does this in the SEC. I asked if he had any knowledge of Penn State doing the same and he said lots of kids have been paying attention to PSU but he doesnt know of any cash offers.

Reactions: Zenophile
I think it is well known this crap goes on every where. I have a work friend who played briefly in NFL...Clemson grad back before Dabo. He talks about the cash handshakes after games and how he had kid in high school and how clemson basically took care of his family.

He said Alabama football players get their cars based on some stupid rule that makes them available and legal at 3:00 AM. He also said Mississippi State offered $90,000 to one of his teammates (before Moorhead). He said everyone does this in the SEC. I asked if he had any knowledge of Penn State doing the same and he said lots of kids have been paying attention to PSU but he doesnt know of any cash offers.

What does it mean that they are available and legal?

These things are easy. Take a look at the Ohio State "scandal" from a few years ago. They give "gold pants" to a player. We know this. Players also keep equipment that is autographed. They also are gifted all kinds of stuff from rings to key chains. The mistake in this "scandal" was that the players were selling them for cash while still eligible. Dumb and Dumber. The way to do it is to "borrow" against that valuable merchandize which is totally legal. Then, at the end of your eligibility, you sell that merch and pay off the loan (assuming you don't get an big contract).

Easy peasy and 100% legal.

That car thing has to be bogus. I am sure even Bama athletic compliance tracks vehicles student athletes are driving.

He said Alabama football players get their cars based on some stupid rule that makes them available and legal at 3:00 AM.

iu

I'm at the point where I'd rather the players get paid than have the corrupt NCAA get another dime.

I'm at the point where I'd rather the players get paid than have the corrupt NCAA get another dime.
I'm in favor of agents getting involved. If an agent thinks a player is good enough, make it legal for the agent to advance him cash. If the player eventually goes pro, he can pay the agent back or whatever. Let the agent take the risk if he wants to make the investment.

I'm in favor of agents getting involved. If an agent thinks a player is good enough, make it legal for the agent to advance him cash. If the player eventually goes pro, he can pay the agent back or whatever. Let the agent take the risk if he wants to make the investment.
then the schools can pay off agents to steer the high ranked kids their way- it would just add yet another layer of corruption

I've always felt that the schools should put portions of products sold related to the different sports or individuals into a fund that goes to the student when they graduate. If a #9 football jersey is sold, if/when Trace gets his degree, he would get the portion that was allotted. If it is a general Penn State football t-shirt, then the portion gets split among all participating student athletes. If the student doesn't graduate, then the money goes back into the general scholarship fund. Just one way that kids can get paid for their likeness while participating in intercollegiate athletics, but they don't get paid while it's still going on.

I've always felt that the schools should put portions of products sold related to the different sports or individuals into a fund that goes to the student when they graduate. If a #9 football jersey is sold, if/when Trace gets his degree, he would get the portion that was allotted. If it is a general Penn State football t-shirt, then the portion gets split among all participating student athletes. If the student doesn't graduate, then the money goes back into the general scholarship fund. Just one way that kids can get paid for their likeness while participating in intercollegiate athletics, but they don't get paid while it's still going on.

In college football, it is not uncommon to see two players wearing the same number. Imagine the fight that would ensue among the back-up schlemiels to also get a starter's number.

then the schools can pay off agents to steer the high ranked kids their way- it would just add yet another layer of corruption
True. There will be people who cheat no matter what the rules are. I just figure if someone has to pay the player let it be the agent's money, not the schools that are trying to do things the right way.

Last edited:

Just once I’d love to see a few players speak directly and comprehensively to what they were offered in recruiting. Just lay it all out on the table. Obviously it would be after their eligibility is used up and they are out of NCAA control. It would be interesting to hear school X offered $10,000, a car, etc but schools A, B, and C refused any under the table benefits.

Just once I’d love to see a few players speak directly and comprehensively to what they were offered in recruiting. Just lay it all out on the table. Obviously it would be after their eligibility is used up and they are out of NCAA control. It would be interesting to hear school X offered $10,000, a car, etc but schools A, B, and C refused any under the table benefits.
I've always wondered...why don't they?

Especially now, in the days of "processed" players and pulled scholarship offers. You would think a kid that left Bama because he was recruited over would be more than happy to throw Bama under the bus.

The only answer I can come up with is that, as much as we'd like to believe otherwise, it doesn't happen as often as we think it does.

Basketball has been doing this.................look whats happened there

I've always wondered...why don't they?

Especially now, in the days of "processed" players and pulled scholarship offers. You would think a kid that left Bama because he was recruited over would be more than happy to throw Bama under the bus.

The only answer I can come up with is that, as much as we'd like to believe otherwise, it doesn't happen as often as we think it does.

I’ve always wondered why players don’t spill it. On the rare occasion they discuss it it’s always vague. I think there’s a component of not wanting to be seen as a snitch. IIRC Paul Posluszny (?) made a comment years ago about being offered money while being recruited by other schools but wouldn’t be specific or name names.

I’ve always wondered why players don’t spill it. On the rare occasion they discuss it it’s always vague. I think there’s a component of not wanting to be seen as a snitch. IIRC Paul Posluszny (?) made a comment years ago about being offered money while being recruited by other schools but wouldn’t be specific or name names.
They have nothing to gain by going public and risk get sued if they do.

I vaguely remember this answer being posted in a different thread on the matter.
This is what I was thinking of:
Remember it came out during Tatgate that local dealers in Columbus loaned cars to tOSU players and I think the NCAA even looked at it and decided it was okay. Because heck, the dealers might loan cars to any student who walks in and asks for one. And the car dealers weren't boosters... something like that, it was fairly tortured, but free cars wasn't considered an NCAA violation in that case.

Anyway I would really be surprised if Meyer is part of anything like that.
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/urban-meyer-on-administrative-leave.213277/page-5#post-3575938

Reactions: ChiTownLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT