ADVERTISEMENT

Tale of The Tape: Game Winning Play

It was a precision play. Johnson's route, McSorley's throw, the OLines blocking... For everything that had went wrong in the red zone on this day, this play came off perfect.

It really is an odd play that happened to work out. Thompkins ran his guy into where Johnson and Hamilton are thus almost allowing his man to tip the pass and end the game. Johnson beat his guy badly and if Hamilton and Thompkins ran an out and a corner route the middle of the end zone would have been wide open. It's great that they scored, but were very fortunate. It is tight enough in the end zone and I don't see why you would want to congest the middle where one guy can play two receivers.

Did anyone else notice that the DB that Trace floats the ball over (#27) jumps with both hands in the air like he's trying to catch the ball. I'm thinking if he jumps and stretches just one hand up he probably tips it away from the WR. Maybe....maybe not? Just thought it was an interesting detail of that last play.
I've watched that play about 10 times and the replay is like a dream sequence or a staged event for a film. Incredible that the ball reached Johnson. McSorley put a lot of mustard on it even though he was barely set to throw and did not step into it. He must have had a huge adrenal rush on that play.

I've watched that play about 10 times and the replay is like a dream sequence or a staged event for a film. Incredible that the ball reached Johnson. McSorley put a lot of mustard on it even though he was barely set to throw and did not step into it. He must have had a huge adrenal rush on that play.
And Johnson's hands are massive. If you get a chance, just look how long his arms are how large his hands are. When he realizes how good he is, he is going to be scary.

And Johnson's hands are massive. If you get a chance, just look how long his arms are how large his hands are. When he realizes how good he is, he is going to be scary.
What a physical talent. I kept pointing him out to my wife and saying, "Look at our #84. He has to be a mismatch for anyone Iowa tries to put on him." He almost broke the underneath route for a big gain on the first play of the final series. Then he had the wherewithal to get down the sideline and make a nice play to get PSU another first down. On that play you could see his size and strength. The Iowa defender got a good shot on him at the sideline and Johnson didn't come close to going down. He has great leverage. Then, of course, the TD. Nice final series for JJ.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think he knew that Johnson was changing his route from a corner to a post.
The more I see of this diagram and film, the more doubts I have whether the play was really drawn up the way it ended. I think the pass was intended for Hamilton and I am not sure JJ was really supposed to run his route into the middle also. I could see it if both Hamilton and Thomkins ran their routes to the left (out), but drawing all three defenders into that tight spot was really asking for trouble - i.e. intercepted or tipped.

Reactions: Grass
Our local paper had a column from Donnie Collins and, according to him JJ and Gattis worked out the route. Supposedly the other receivers were not privy to the post route plan.
Maybe, but on the other hand, I wouldn't expect the coaches to come out and say "we were really lucky there as the guy who caught the ball wasn't even the intended receiver".

I would really have to study some film to determine how many times we run routes that put 3 receivers within 5 yards of each other.

I hope that play turns the light on for him. Big weapon.

The tip opportunity is deceiving because the ball is past the defender when he reaches for it. He whiffs on it. Thompkins was open too on the quick slant. Gesicki in corner for jump ball.

A) Look at Trace drifting backward. We need to fix the protection issues this year. He does not trust it.

B) You'd think they'd have adjusted Hamilton's route, too. It's kind of miraculous that this play worked despite these things.

A) Look at Trace drifting backward. We need to fix the protection issues this year. He does not trust it.

B) You'd think they'd have adjusted Hamilton's route, too. It's kind of miraculous that this play worked despite these things.
According to Trace, JJ ran the route too fast and he had to get rid of the ball sooner than he wanted too.

Reactions: hereforthebeer
According to Trace, JJ ran the route too fast and he had to get rid of the ball sooner than he wanted too.
Oh, I hadn't heard that. I guess it's a good thing. Trace was about out of time. I won't use the word "lucky," because that would diminish the planning involved, but it's funny how things work out sometimes.

On a somewhat related note, I don't hear any more whining from people about Trace's arm strength. If anyone watches the juice he puts on that rushed throw with those mechanics and still has questions, I don't know what to tell them.

Really professional-quality route by Johnson. Gattis asks a lot from his wide receivers, and it's great to see Johnson develop from a guy who basically only ran go routes in high school to running an NFL-caliber route to win the game on Saturday.

Reactions: mn78psu83
There were at least 3 open receivers on that play (not sure about Gesicki), all in the same vision plane for McSorely

I do think JJ would have been more open if #3 had gone the other direction, as the guy following him was the only defender with any chance of defensing that pass.

It did seem like #3 was more open on the play then JJ/DH, but i wonder if that pass would have been more prone to a deflection by the DL.

It's interesting, had JJ not caught the winning TD pass, DH almost certainly would have. I truly think Joe Moorhead is an evil genius!
The result was great but I was worried that Hamilton's brought an extra defender to the same area of the field.

Video found after the game of Jewell coming up to Trace with a peace offering....Trace was having none of it!
IMG_3660.gif

Reactions: hereforthebeer
Hamilton's defender wasn't the problem, it was Thompkins' that was the problem
That's a good point too. PSU had 3 receivers in the middle of the EZ. Thompkins short, Johnson about 7 yards deep, and Hamilton all the way back. I liked Johnson's fake to the corner then running a post. I just don't like 3 WRs so close together.

P.S. We might have been lucky the previous pass got knocked down. If Thompkins caught it he might have been tackled in play with no time left.

Really professional-quality route by Johnson. Gattis asks a lot from his wide receivers, and it's great to see Johnson develop from a guy who basically only ran go routes in high school to running an NFL-caliber route to win the game on Saturday.
Johnson does have the look of a future NFL player.

Oh, I hadn't heard that. I guess it's a good thing. Trace was about out of time. I won't use the word "lucky," because that would diminish the planning involved, but it's funny how things work out sometimes.

On a somewhat related note, I don't hear any more whining from people about Trace's arm strength. If anyone watches the juice he puts on that rushed throw with those mechanics and still has questions, I don't know what to tell them.
About out of time? There was no one near him.

About out of time? There was no one near him.
Yes. If he hold it any longer, the penetrating right end forces him to roll right, to the short side of the field. Due to the adjustment of Johnson's route, only Gesicki is running a pattern out there and he's doubled. Also, if Johnson's route was any slower developing, as was apparently Trace's pre-snap understanding, he's not able to make that throw into that window as he rolls right.

I am so confused ... why is it lucky that not only was the improv receiver JJ open, but so was the guy running a normal route? They were both open by 2 yards.... it is lucky for Iowa that chase didn't have 2 balls (as Val Kilmer / Doc Holliday said) "one for each of them"!

Yes. If he hold it any longer, the penetrating right end forces him to roll right, to the short side of the field. Due to the adjustment of Johnson's route, only Gesicki is running a pattern out there and he's doubled. Also, if Johnson's route was any slower developing, as was apparently Trace's pre-snap understanding, he's not able to make that throw into that window as he rolls right.
and then he dumps it off to 26 who does 26 things... he had time.

And if you think Gesicki was "doubled", you must be counting the potential for menage w an Iowa cheerleader. There was 1 defender w him and noone other than fans and camera men within 10 yards. Not even close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT