ADVERTISEMENT

T-Row and Funky Tom Ryan Interview

pish69

Jan 11, 2016
NJ--The Shore
Listening to this interview and basically following twitter of a lot of different wrestlers from a bunch of teams here's my take.

1. Jason Nolf has some bulletin board material. Ryan said he felt Micah can beat Jason and that Nolf a better "matchup" than Zain. (and please don't tell me a coach will always say that. He wasn't asked if Jordan can beat Nolf..he volunteered that tid bit. If a coach was asked, then every coach is gonna go with their guy, this wasn't the case)
2. Haven't heard anything of substance from Cael or any of our wrestlers on interviews or social media. As if they sitting back watching tOSU talk the talk on social media, interviews everywhere, etc.

I cannot WAIT until our boys take the mats again. Isn't it interesting every year, there is "the team" that is either ranked ahead of us, or people like to say will take us out. Then they actually have to wrestle us and it gets ugly quick. We win the title, and the next day, the talk from other teams start again.

Ryan clearly sees no value in duals, basically saying he coaching to "the rules in place." I feel bad for Nato. Ryan sucking him down against his wishes in his senior year and you'll be lucky to see him at a handful of matches.

Kyle Snyder is the best wrestler on the planet and no doubt when he says they will win he really believes it. I truly wonder what other guys on that team REALLY think they can win. Can they step it up when it matter most? I think not.

What I get from all these tOSU guys social media is them trying to talk themselves into a National Championship. In other words, "let's keep telling ourselves and the world that we have the best room and then that will win it for us." Unfortunately for them, the season starts soon and all the talk will go out the window real quick.

Sorry for long rant..something about the talk from Ryan and from some of the wrestlers on this team just have me pumped up for this match.

So if any coaches or wrestlers read these forums..I personally appreciate that PSU does the talking on the mat and look forward to the boys dominating again! Jason Nolf..when you wrestle M. Jordan, remember your the easy matchup according to coach Ryan. Mark Hall, please remember Coach Ryan has already said Bo Jordan was not healthy and had a questionable call (he also mentioned he improved his deadlift by 75lbs, so I hope you're not scared off by that). Bo Nickal..according to many on the tOSU side, Myles has your number and will beat you when it counts. Oh yeah..they added Joey Mckenna and we lost Suriano..in their minds, that's it! Game over

Kick some ass boys, November can't get here soon enough!!

Last edited:
If the rosters remain intact and everyone stays healthy, I fully expect it to be a close battle for the championship between tOSU and PSU. The dual could be very close, too, if NaTo and Snyder wrestle, and PSU loses at 141.

Yeah, I'm definitely the kind of guy who prefers actual performance to do the talking, but in this case, I don't really have an issue with tOSU coaches or wrestlers stating their personal goals and expectations. If they start behaving like Montoya, Berger, and PD3, then I'll feel differently. But measured optimism never hurt anyone, and success depends on it.

As Keith Richards said on his great solo album:

MI0001991292.jpg

Listening to this interview and basically following twitter of a lot of different wrestlers from a bunch of teams here's my take.

1. Jason Nolf has some bulletin board material. Ryan said he felt Micah can beat Jordan and that Nolf a better "matchup" than Zain. (and please don't tell me a coach will always say that. He wasn't asked if Jordan can beat Nolf..he volunteered that tid bit. If a coach was asked, then every coach is gonna go with their guy, this wasn't the case)
2. Haven't heard anything of substance from Cael or any of our wrestlers on interviews or social media. As if they sitting back watching tOSU talk the talk on social media, interviews everywhere, etc.

I cannot WAIT until our boys take the mats again. Isn't it interesting every year, there is "the team" that is either ranked ahead of us, or people like to say will take us out. Then they actually have to wrestle us and it gets ugly quick. We win the title, and the next day, the talk from other teams start again.

Ryan clearly sees no value in duals, basically saying he coaching to "the rules in place." I feel bad for Nato. Ryan sucking him down against his wishes in his senior year and you'll be lucky to see him at a handful of matches.

Kyle Snyder is the best wrestler on the planet and no doubt when he says they will win he really believes it. I truly wonder what other guys on that team REALLY think they can win. Can they step it up when it matter most? I think not.

What I get from all these tOSU guys social media is them trying to talk themselves into a National Championship. In other words, "let's keep telling ourselves and the world that we have the best room and then that will win it for us." Unfortunately for them, the season starts soon and all the talk will go out the window real quick.

Sorry for long rant..something about the talk from Ryan and from some of the wrestlers on this team just have me pumped up for this match.

So if any coaches or wrestlers read these forums..I personally appreciate that PSU does the talking on the mat and look forward to the boys dominating again! Jason Nolf..when you wrestle M. Jordan, remember your the easy matchup according to coach Ryan. Mark Hall, please remember Coach Ryan has already said Bo Jordan was not healthy and had a questionable call (he also mentioned he improved his deadlift by 75lbs, so I hope you're not scared off by that). Bo Nickal..according to many on the tOSU side, Myles has your number and will beat you when it counts. Oh yeah..they added Joey Mckenna and we lost Suriano..in their minds, that's it! Game over

Kick some ass boys, November can't get here soon enough!!

Whole lot of Fake News in this post.

Basically the only thing he actually said was that they felt Nolf was a better matchup for Micah and they think Micah can win that one.

Ryan was effusive in praise for Nolf (and rightfully so). I thought it was obvious to pretty much everyone listening that "Nolf is a better matchup than Zain" meant "Micah ain't beatin Zain, at least he has a chance against Nolf". He certainly never came close to saying that was an easy match. Might want to listen again.

Whole lot of Fake News in this post.

Basically the only thing he actually said was that they felt Nolf was a better matchup for Micah and they think Micah can win that one.

Ryan was effusive in praise for Nolf (and rightfully so). I thought it was obvious to pretty much everyone listening that "Nolf is a better matchup than Zain" meant "Micah ain't beatin Zain, at least he has a chance against Nolf". He certainly never came close to saying that was an easy match. Might want to listen again.

Fake News? Obviously people read into things the way they hear them, but certainly not fake news.

He said it was a better match up (better is synonymous with easier). He said without being prompted that Micah can beat Nolf. So where is the fake news?

NOW..I will grant you this. If Rowlands or Askren asked Coach Ryan if he felt Jordan can beat Nolf, then of course the coach is going to say he can. This wasn't the case. Ryan brought that to the table. I wonder if Ryan thought Jordan could beat Zain last year?

I hope Mark Hall isn't shaking because Bo's deadlift is 75lbs more.

The dual could be very close, too, if NaTo and Snyder wrestle, and PSU loses at 141..

Won't happen. We all know how Ryan feels about duals. Guarentee tOSU will have a few keys guys out like last year. I would be $100 tOSU doesn't wrestle the full projected lineup as it stands now.

I mean come on..they hyped up the match last year at their place, had 15k sreaming fans there to see Bo vs Mark and what happened? He held him out to protect seed and Jordan wrestled 2 days later vs Rutgers

Won't happen. We all know how Ryan feels about duals. Guarentee tOSU will have a few keys guys out like last year. I would be $100 tOSU doesn't wrestle the full projected lineup as it stands now.

I mean come on..they hyped up the match last year at their place, had 15k sreaming fans there to see Bo vs Mark and what happened? He held him out to protect seed and Jordan wrestled 2 days later vs Rutgers

We know both PSU and Hall had the last laugh when the 2017 season was complete. I'm content with that and look forward to the ensuing battles this upcoming season.

I do agree, though, the odds are that some combination of NaTo, BoJo, and/or KySny isn't wrestling in the dual. My point is that they have a tough-ass lineup regardless of format (tournament, dual). And I am very eager to see what happens at 141.

Reactions: pish69
I have no problem with anything Tom Ryan said. Even if I was eager to somehow take offense at Ryan suggesting Nolf was beatable by Micah, I'd have to concede that he's probably right, because Nolf probably is a better matchup for Micah than Zain because wrestling Zain implicates one of Micah's key weaknesses, wrestling from bottom, and Nolf would rather be on his feet as would Micah. Cutting fewer pounds probably helps Micah as well, especially in the third period, which is where Zain broke him twice.

I think Micah is positionally strong and can probably keep it close for awhile, maybe even get a takedown against Nolf, but then I think the wheels come off when Nolf escalates the chaos late second period and into the third. Micah just isn't creative enough to win the scrambles Nolf is going to throw at him. But even if that's the most likely scenario, Ryan isn't a pompous jerk for thinking Micah can beat Nolf because the only wrestlers who are going to beat Nolf in folkstyle are the ones who believe they can. Ryan is just doing his job. Plenty of better reasons to get annoyed at Ryan than this.

I would be pretty surprised if Ohio State is pessimistic on their chances to win the title. They have every reason to believe they can do it, even if we are favorites.

Ohio State has what Okie State lacked last year. Big points and multiple champions. tOSU could legitimately have 3 national champions without considering if Myles or Bo could beat our Bo or Hall. They have every right to think they can win it, if they win the Myles/Bo and Bo/Hall exchanges, they will be champions.

I would be pretty surprised if Ohio State is pessimistic on their chances to win the title. They have every reason to believe they can do it, even if we are favorites.

Ohio State has what Okie State lacked last year. Big points and multiple champions. tOSU could legitimately have 3 national champions without considering if Myles or Bo could beat our Bo or Hall. They have every right to think they can win it, if they win the Myles/Bo and Bo/Hall exchanges, they will be champions.

I AGREE they have a great team. No doubt about it. My contention is as great as they are they been talking a lot of talk when they got beat by 36 points last year and we have everyone back except Jimmy and upgraded at 133 and 141.

Here's my thing..I truly believe it's going to not be as close as people including some here believe it to be. If we started this discussion right after nationals, no one including tOSU fans thought they had a chance this year. I find it interesting that every day the off season goes by they get closer and closer. Nothing changed, except McKenna. Is he going to score 36? Is Nick Lee/Cortez (141) going to score 0? Is Keener /Cortez (133) going to score 0? ABSOLUTELY not. But seems people sleeping on these guys, while giving everyone on tOSU best case scenarios.

My crazy (in my mind not so crazy) prediction. N. Lee is going to be the next Zain (remember everyone said we wouldn't have another Taylor/Ruth Combo) like trajectory (mid AA this year, title contender next year and can own the weight his junior/senior years.

Kollin Moore will probably be a finalist at 197, but I can't see Cutch getting stuck at R12 for a third straight year.

Cutch is making the podium.

But seems people sleeping on these guys, while giving everyone on tOSU best case scenarios.

I think this is simply human nature when trying to determine best/worst-case scenarios in evaluating paths/threats to desirable outcomes. It helps some types of people sleep at night.

Reactions: pish69
My contention is as great as they are they been talking a lot of talk when they got beat by 36 points last year and we have everyone back except Jimmy and upgraded at 133 and 141.

I don't expect us to score as much as we did last year, which is why I feel the way I feel.

I would make Ohio State the favorite at the B1G tournament at this time, they have a R12 capable guy at every weight. Depth across all weight classes is what wins the B1G. Of course the NCAA's is what it is about, question there is how many points can PSU get at 133, 141 and 197. For Ohio State, what do they get at 133, 141, 149 and 165. McKenna is a great talent, he also did not reach all-American status last year either (did his freshmen year).

I would make Ohio State the favorite at the B1G tournament at this time, they have a R12 capable guy at every weight. Depth across all weight classes is what wins the B1G. Of course the NCAA's is what it is about, question there is how many points can PSU get at 133, 141 and 197. For Ohio State, what do they get at 133, 141, 149 and 165. McKenna is a great talent, he also did not reach all-American status last year either (did his freshmen year).
This.
tOSU will be dangerous at Bigs, because they are strong across all weights, but they will struggle with bonus points at NCAA, while we have a good chance to increase our points at 133, 141 and 197 and also a good chance to slightly increase our bonus.

This.
tOSU will be dangerous at Bigs, because they are strong across all weights, but they will struggle with bonus points at NCAA, while we have a good chance to increase our points at 133, 141 and 197 and also a good chance to slightly increase our bonus.
The "but we won Big Tens" is a funny bit of trash talk I see on twitter and such from Buckeye fans re: last year.

And .... who besides Woody and Bo gives a crap?

Yeah, they are really set up for Bigs this year and NCAAs should be a lot closer. I do agree with someone above that Nick Lee could be a key.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
The "but we won Big Tens" is a funny bit of trash talk I see on twitter and such from Buckeye fans re: last year.

And .... who besides Woody and Bo gives a crap?

Yeah, they are really set up for Bigs this year and NCAAs should be a lot closer. I do agree with someone above that Nick Lee could be a key.
I think CK holds the lock and NLee is the key. They unlock the trophy case.

Reactions: diggerpup
By the Flo preseason rankings, PSU is a distant 2nd, predicted-points-wise, for the Big Ten Championships. We are 20+ point underdogs, Advancement and Placement only. Yet we are favored, by the predicted rankings, for the National Tournament.

The reason is "compression". A #1 seed at the National Tournament will be the #1 seed at the B1G's, so there's no way to move up. A #9 ranked guy nationally, is suddenly the #3 ranked (let's just say rankings = seeds) guy at B1G's, and that's huge points. This is the case for the Big Ten's.

Now, it won't turn out that way. It's a long season, and our light weights aren't even in Flo's work, so lots can and will happen. And the preseason work won't resemble, in other ways, the end-of-year rankings, and seeding for many others too. The point I'm making is that there is a difference between the 2 post-season tournaments.

Last edited:
By the Flo preseason rankings, PSU is a distant 2nd, predicted-points-wise, for the Big Ten Championships. We are 20+ point underdogs, Advancement and Placement only. Yet we are favored, by the predicted rankings, for the National Tournament.

The reason is "compression". A #1 seed at the National Tournament will be the #1 seed and the B1G's, so there's no way to move up. A #9 ranked guy nationally, is suddenly the #3 ranked (let's just say rankings = seeds) guy at B1G's, and that's huge points. This is the case for the Big Ten's.

Now, it won't turn out that way. It's a long season, and our light weights aren't even in Flo's work, so lots can and will happen. And the preseason work won't resemble, in other ways, the end-of-year rankings, and seeding for many others too. The point I'm making is that there is a difference between the 2 post-season tournaments.
Also fewer rounds at B10s means less opportunity for bonus.

Reactions: Dogwelder

The reason is "compression". A #1 seed at the National Tournament will be the #1 seed and the B1G's, so there's no way to move up. A #9 ranked guy nationally, is suddenly the #3 ranked (let's just say rankings = seeds) guy at B1G's, and that's huge points. This is the case for the Big Ten's.

And perhaps a minor note but further to the idea of compression, at B1Gs there is at least one, sometimes two (if wrestler receives a bye) fewer rounds/chances for our bonus points guys to rack up bonus points. Their final bonus totals at B1Gs will be nearer to the mean than at NCAAs.

And perhaps a minor note but further to the idea of compression, at B1Gs there is at least one, sometimes two (if wrestler receives a bye) fewer rounds/chances for our bonus points guys to rack up bonus points. Their final bonus totals at B1Gs will be nearer to the mean than at NCAAs.
Not just fewer rounds, but because of the slightly lower competition level, at the Bigs, tOSU will get a lot more bonus at the Bigs, than they will ever get at the NCAA. Just the opposite situation for us, our bonus will not be negatively impacted at the NCAA.

Not just fewer rounds, but because of the slightly lower competition level, at the Bigs, tOSU will get a lot more bonus at the Bigs, than they will ever get at the NCAA. Just the opposite situation for us, our bonus will not be negatively impacted at the NCAA.
Not sure I understand. This past March, tOSU had 10 bonus points in wrestled bouts at B1G's, and 22.5 at NCAA's. PSU had 23.5 at B1G's, with 32.5 at NCAA's.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Does anyone else find it disturbing that a coach admits he is going to throw duals, at least certain weights? If this becomes a trend i worry about the state of wrestling.

I get it from a tactical stand point. And my son felt that some kids would feel the appeal that they could skip bouts to go do international freestyle competitions during the season. But it just doesn’t feel “right”to me.

Thoughts? Am I off base?

Reactions: purescurve
Does anyone else find it disturbing that a coach admits he is going to throw duals, at least certain weights? If this becomes a trend i worry about the state of wrestling.

I get it from a tactical stand point. And my son felt that some kids would feel the appeal that they could skip bouts to go do international freestyle competitions during the season. But it just doesn’t feel “right”to me.

Thoughts? Am I off base?

You're not off base at all, in my opinion.

Something definitely needs to be done to make the duals carry more importance.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
The make-duals-more-important argument has never been able to come up with an idea that doesn't somehow diminish the NCAAs. That said, I think the least NCAA-detracting idea is to add team points at the NCAAs based on conference finish as determined by dual record. So top team in each conference starts out with, say, 5 points, second place 3 points, third place 1 point. In most cases it won't make a difference in the final score at the NCAAs, but occasionally it would. And it would make the duals matter. For instance, if the above was true, Ryan would have to think twice about sitting his top guys vs Penn State like he did last year, because he'd be conceding probably two points at the NCAAs, and he has no idea at the time whether those two points will matter come March. It makes duals matter a little more w/o the need for a dual championship, and it has minimal impact, in most cases, on the NCAAs.

Reactions: Creek Side
Tikk, I like your idea a lot! I don't think it has to be a big change at all, just something that makes coaches like Ryan, who "coach to the rules", think twice about sitting guys all the time during the regular season.
Just because there hasn't been a good solution yet that doesn't detract from the NCAAs, certainly does not make it an impossibility.

The duals issue, any consideration to a wrestler has to wrestle "X" percent of the competition dates at the weight class to be seeded at nationals? That might prevent a situation where Tomasello drops to 125, skips a lot of matches to avoid the grueling making weight week after week, and still receives a high seed 125 at nationals. It might also eliminate Ryan sitting Bo Jordan much of last year too. Result is the good wrestlers unless truly injured wrestle more duals.

OTOH, fact is that wrestling is a niche sport and probably nothing can be done to increase attendance at Maryland or Indiana dual meets. Look at lacrosse, the sport has had huge growth in participation at the youth and high school levels and still struggles in the attendance area for college games. Wrestling attendance is good in areas of the country that like wrestling and have access to a quality product (PSU, Iowa, OK St, Ohio St, Rutgers).

I think the OP took some liberties in his post. Ryan had a lot of praise for Penn State and their wrestlers. Not nearly the bulletin board interview it was made out to be.

Really? What liberties? The bulletin board material is all true. I never wrestled, played football, basketball and baseball. If a coach intentionally walked the guy before me to get to me I take offense.

If an opposing coach went out in public and called me the "better" matchup, you bet I am writing that down in my mental notes. I'd also be offended that he went out of his way to say how his guy can beat me after my teammate who I feel I am on the same level with techd his guy a couple times.

If I'm Mark Hall and an opposing coach says I won fair and square, but then follows it by laying out excuses of why his guy lost (injuries and questionable call), I take offense.

If you don't think Nolf and Hall aren't mentally jotting this stuff down, I don't know what to tell you. I played college football. Our coach would put stuff like this on bulletin board every week.

The only thing Ryan said that does have me scared to death is when he said Bo Jordan added 75lbs to his deadlift;)

Last edited:
Not sure I understand. This past March, tOSU had 10 bonus points in wrestled bouts at B1G's, and 22.5 at NCAA's. PSU had 23.5 at B1G's, with 32.5 at NCAA's.
You're right. I should have said placement, not bonus. tOSU had 1 wrestler(Snyder) maintain or improve his placement from the Big to the NCAA and 8 that finished lower. PSU had 5 that maintained or improved and 3 that finished lower.

"I cannot WAIT until our boys take the mats again. Isn't it interesting every year, there is "the team" that is either ranked ahead of us, or people like to say will take us out. Then they actually have to wrestle us and it gets ugly quick. We win the title, and the next day, the talk from other teams start again."

I understand and respect your passion for your team but you do realize/remember Ohio State won the Big Ten Title last year right? I can assure you that is one of Penn State's top goals year in and year out. So I'd ease up on the you make it ugly and win every time and title comment just a tad.

"I cannot WAIT until our boys take the mats again. Isn't it interesting every year, there is "the team" that is either ranked ahead of us, or people like to say will take us out. Then they actually have to wrestle us and it gets ugly quick. We win the title, and the next day, the talk from other teams start again."

I understand and respect your passion for your team but you do realize/remember Ohio State won the Big Ten Title last year right? I can assure you that is one of Penn State's top goals year in and year out. So I'd ease up on the you make it ugly and win every time and title comment just a tad.

The dual last year was 32-12 at tOSU. Nationals was a 36 pt spread. Pretty ugly

To paraphrase Cael Sanderson: "I didn't come to Penn State to win Big Tens"

But seriously, the Penn State team as currently composed is built precisely for a broader, deeper tournament where its hammers can separate more. Here is where Ohio State poses a real challenge this year as opposed to last year in that it has more top AA "locks". The amount of points you got from guys like Burcher, Ryan, etc last year meant nothing in a deeper tournament, but essentially won you the Big 10s mainly because Suriano couldn't go.

I'm really enjoying this thread. I think b/c I'm kinda torn on the takery.

On the one hand, I rather enjoyed listening to Tan Tom talk so candidly. About his wrestlers, about other wrestlers, about Nationals points, and about possible placements. When he said about him getting McKenna, probably a 16pt improvement & PSU losing Suriano, a probable 16pt loss (I'm paraphrasing here, no quotes, can't remember exact wording), I was like whoa. Not sure I've heard a head coach speak in that kind of candor with respect to team points.

Other things Tom said that haven't been posted here yet, about Zain & Nolf:
- "Pick your poison"
- "Two of the best wrestlers in the country there"

On the other hand, I 100% fully approve of pish's takery & spin on all Tom's words being bulletin board material, and of emphasizing that take by literally posting it on this bulletin board. I mean, this is sports. We've got to leave plenty of room for H8.

And when it comes to on the mat...I much prefer some legit comp to a runaway beatdown. More dreams to smash nnat.

Anyway, as you were....

#LeaveRoom4H8

I think the OP took some liberties in his post. Ryan had a lot of praise for Penn State and their wrestlers. Not nearly the bulletin board interview it was made out to be.
Gotta agree here. When explaining his decision to move Micky up, he did say, quote, "pick your poison". He also said that Zain and Nolf were two of the top wrestlers in the nation. I mean, what's he gonna say, "Nope, Micah isn't beating Nolf, but at least he may not end up on his back with his ankle by his ear."?

Between Micah and Richie Lewis, Nolf's going to have his hands full this year.
I may have spoken too soon. Someone on the Scarlet Knight site just asked if anyone can confirm the rumor that Lewis is moving up to 165. No one has responded in the positive or negative, but this guy heard it somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT