ADVERTISEMENT

Susan Snyder of the Inquirer. Re: Wes Glon, PSU Fencing

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Doing her best to cue up the outrage.

Penn State fencing coach failed to report assistant who groped, harassed woman on plane, complaint alleges
by Susan Snyder, Updated: May 16, 2019- 4:37 PM

On its own, the accusation was stunning: In 2018, a veteran head coach of a Division 1 sports team was told that one of his assistants had grabbed and sexually harassed a woman — and the coach didn’t report it to the university as required.

Even more stunning may be the school involved: Pennsylvania State University.

In the 2018 case, the sport was fencing. And ultimately Penn State fired the alleged harasser.

But to the accuser, a North Carolina fencing coach named Jennifer Oldham, the university’s response didn’t go far enough. Even after separate investigations by Penn State and an independent nonprofit that monitors abuse in Olympic sports, the longtime head fencing coach who suppressed her harassment complaint, Wes Glon, appears unscathed. In fact, he was recognized at a Penn State board of trustees meeting this month when one of his athletes was honored.

The significance isn’t lost on Oldham. The Sandusky case and its aftermath was an early spark in what became a wave of acknowledgment — later advanced by the #metoo movement — about the mishandling of sexual harassment and sexual abuse complaints on campuses. Around the country, universities have instituted reforms to ensure accusations are reported and properly investigated.

“Especially because of Penn State’s history, I thought he would have reported it,” Oldham told the Inquirer in an interview. “They say they’ve had all this training, all this awareness, and yet this happened."

On Dec. 11, 2017, she boarded a red-eye flight from Portland, Ore., to Chicago with a group of fencing coaches returning from a competition. Oldham found herself sitting next to a Penn State assistant coach, George “Gia” Abashidze.

Abashidze, a native of the Eastern European country Georgia, had been coaching at Penn State since 2009 and before that at Ohio State. He’s coached several Olympians and coached the Georgian National Fencing team. Oldham had talked to him casually at competitions in the past and never had a problem. Abashidze, then 60, had expertise in foil fencing, which she was interested in learning more about.

Abashidze appeared to be inebriated when he got on the plane, one passenger, Lewis Vaden, would later tell investigators. Then Abashidze bought drinks — two for himself and two for Oldham. It didn’t take long, Oldham said, for Abashidze to begin making comments of a sexual nature and inappropriate remarks about his wife and former students.

Oldham said she calmly tried to steer the conversation back to fencing, not wanting to make a scene. She had encountered chauvinistic behavior before in a sport dominated by men, and thought she could handle it.

But Abashidze, she said, became more aggressive as the flight continued. He touched her arm, her knee and her upper leg, she said. Again and again, he asked her to have sex.

“The part that I felt was crossing the line completely,” Oldham said in an interview, “was when he wasn’t just asking me to have sex. He was insisting on having sex, begging me to have sex, creating and visualizing different ways we could have sex. And [saying] he was going to die if we couldn’t have sex.”

He then grabbed her crotch, she said.

Oldham said she nudged awake Vaden, the New Jersey fencing supply company vendor sitting next to her, in a bid for help. But Abashidze persisted for another 30 to 40 minutes, while Oldham tried to defuse the situation before they landed.

As they got off the plane, Vaden noticed Abashidze following Oldham and asked a mutual friend to intervene and get the Penn State coach away from her.

A Decision to Act
As Oldham left the airport in shock, she said her mind was racing: This is not acceptable. What can I do to change this? Is this why there are so few women in this sport? How would disclosing the incident affect her reputation in the sports world? She knew that couldn’t be her primary concern. It was as Michigan State University was reeling from allegations that its longtime physician, Larry Nassar, the national Olympics gymnastics coach, had assaulted girls and young women for decades.

Oldham decided she had to say something.

She asked Vaden to report what he witnessed on the plane to the U.S. Center for SafeSport, a Denver-based nonprofit that had been launched in 2017 to identify and reduce misconduct in Olympic sports. SafeSport agreed to investigate.

She also reached out to Ed Korfanty, an internationally renowned fencing coach under whom she had trained in Portland. Like Glon, Korfanty was an immigrant from Poland; the men knew each other.

Korfanty told Glon about Oldham’s allegations in January 2018. But Glon found the allegation “difficult to believe,” according to Penn State’s investigative report. He asked Abashidze about her claim, and the assistant coach contended that he and Oldham simply had been “talking and flirting on the plane, then had drinks and fell asleep.”

Still, given that Oldham was upset, Glon asked Abashidze to apologize to her.

In February 2018, Oldham agreed to meet Glon at a tournament in North Carolina. There, she told him her account, even wrote out a description. “If he does this to me, what about your students?” she said she asked him.

That also was when Abashidze delivered his apology to her, in a hotel lobby. “He denied remembering anything, said he was sorry multiple times, but that he ‘didn’t know,’” Oldham said in her complaint to Penn State.

Glon, she said, seemed more concerned about how the allegation would affect Abashidze than about her or the Penn State students. She asked Glon if he planned to report the incident to Penn State; he said he did not.

“I told Wes that acceptance of behavior like this thwarted development of women and men in our sport,” Oldham said.

Penn State’s fencing team had already weathered one scandal. Glon had taken over as interim head coach in 2013 after the former coach, Emmanuel Kaidanov, was dismissed for allegedly retaliating against an employee who reported alleged drug use by an athlete. Kaidanov sued and he and the university eventually settled the claim.

That upheaval occurred as the Sandusky case was continuing to roil the university. Sandusky had been convicted but former university president Graham B. Spanier and two key administrators were facing trial on allegations that they failed to report Sandusky’s suspected abuse of young boys. All three were convicted of child endangerment, although a federal judge this spring overturned Spanier’s conviction. In the years since Sandusky, Penn State had instituted reforms, including annual training for every coach on reporting sexual misconduct.

Oldham encountered Glon again at the April 2018 national fencing championship in Virginia. Korfanty was with him. Glon told her about Abashidze’s “anxiety” over the SafeSport investigation, she said.

“No one will believe you,” she said he told her. Korfanty also didn’t stand up for her, she said.

“The intent was very clear — to intimidate and bully me, and he used my coach, my mentor,” she said.

[Reached by phone this month, Korfanty told the Inquirer he didn’t know who to believe and was upset that Oldham called him or sparked the SafeSport investigation. Abashidze’s apology should have sufficed, he said. He also questioned why Oldham didn’t ask a flight attendant on the December 2017 flight for help or to have her seat changed. "Maybe she provoke him,” Korfanty said. “There’s a lot of stuff we don’t know.”]

After a couple months had passed with no action, Oldham’s husband, Jeff Kallio, who runs the Mid-South Fencers’ Club in Durham, N.C., with her, took the matter into his hands. Last June, he reported the assault on his wife and Glon’s inaction to Penn State’s athletic director, Sandy Barbour, in an email. In a subsequent phone call with the university’s athletic integrity officer and the vice president for affirmative action, Kallio provided more details.

Penn State officials told him it was the first they were hearing of the complaint, according to Oldham. The university began its own investigation.

Among other things, it found that Vaden, the New Jersey vendor, corroborated Oldham’s claims from the flight. The Penn State coach had appeared to be inebriated when he got on the plan, Vaden said. He also recalled being asleep next to Oldham when she woke him “kind of wild-eyed” with discomfort and asked for his help. Vaden also said he overheard Abashidze propositioning her as she continued to say no, and he saw Abashidze touching her.

“It was disturbing,” Vaden, of New Brunswick, said in an interview this week. “It was just a complete violation of her space.”

In the days following the flight, Vaden said, he had wished he had done more on the plane, but was so shocked at the time by what he was witnessing. "I felt bad that I didn’t haul off and slug him,” Vaden said.

In August, SafeSport suspended Abashidze for three years. Penn State placed him on administrative leave within 24 hours. Abashidze appealed the SafeSport decision, and his suspension was later reduced to one year.

SafeSport declined to answer questions about the reduction or other aspects of the case, referring a reporter to its website, which notes that Abashidze had been suspended Aug. 1 for sexual misconduct violations including sexual harassment and nonconsensual contact.

Penn State issued its investigative report in February and fired Abashidze March 4.

Reached by phone this month, Abashidze declined comment and referred questions to his lawyer, Toni Cherry, who did not return a call. According to the Penn State investigative report, Abashidze denied Oldham’s account and suggested other motives for her allegation, including a child-custody dispute with her ex-husband, with whom he is friends — assertions Oldham and her lawyer dispute.

Oldham and her lawyer received a copy of Penn State’s report and the disciplinary action it took against Abashidze. Because the report didn’t address Glon, they filed the formal complaint against him.

The university spokesperson, Lokman, said Oldham’s complaint against Glon was investigated, but university policy prohibits him from disclosing any steps, such as sanctions, that may have followed. Sanctions can range from a formal warning to termination.

"We expect all university employees to follow our policies, and when they are not followed, take appropriate action,” he said.

Oldham said she hopes speaking out will help others “feel the same courage.”

Meanwhile, she said, she’s faced a backlash from the fencing community over her complaint, even from someone she had counted among her best friends. She has had to stand up to men she had long respected.

“I’ve known Glon since I was competing in college,” she said. “That’s what makes this hard.”

Last edited:
I don’t know the exact rules, but it doesn’t seem like an outrageous POV. If a coach were to get a pass for saying he/she didn’t believe a claim the reporting rule would be useless.

I mean, the lede in that article was nothing but checking all the click bait boxes.

How did PSU and an independent group investigate it if it wasn't reported?

Reactions: BBrown
Doing her best to cue up the outrage.
Sounds like pretty ugly behavior by the assistant. That can’t just be allowed, or sat on. I get folks don’t want to let (or make) things get uncomfortable in dozy State College. And the he-said, she-said stuff typically creates distractions followed by black holes. But for God’s sake. What does it take to get people to act on these “allegations?” There was a MALE eye witness two feet away.

The clickbait outrage bugs me too, as does all these years of embarrassments at my alma mater. And yes, these problems are everywhere. But when will this seemingly ever-growing ship of fools at penn state wake up from their naps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: psuken and 91Joe95
If only there was some sort of attendant on the flight that the alleged situation could have been reported to in real time, or once on the ground maybe some group that polices citizens that such an alleged incident could be reported to.
Yeah. I get the “in the moment” response of not making a scene, just wanting it to end, etc. but, just like people need to control themselves not act like the assistant did, people also need to get better at taking action against it a lot sooner.

She did the right thing by trying to manage it through the guy next to her, or trying to manage it somehow. But that didn’t work and they both sat through this for how much longer? I get her being (perhaps) frozen under pressure. But what about the guy and all those others around them?

Wasn't the fencing team also involved in an incident where a secretary reported drug use when it turned out to be a ball of medical tape?

Reactions: step.eng69
So her first reaction isn't to tell the flight attendant, or to report it to authorities. It's to have a random passenger report it?

Reactions: Lyons212
Why is it that fat hairy 50 year old men persist in their belief that women 30 years younger want to sleep with them? And that harassment for a four hour flight is basically foreplay. I dunno for sure, I don't think it works that way.

Why is it that fat hairy 50 year old men persist in their belief that women 30 years younger want to sleep with them? And that harassment for a four hour flight is basically foreplay. I dunno for sure, I don't think it works that way.
That's how I feel too. It's crazy. There's good game and bad game....and usual rules typically apply. Inexplicably, horrid game is sometimes effective.

There's one guy I've known much of my life who's not that great looking, not very smart and has slept with so many women it's truly countless (and gross). Over decades I've regrettably seen him in action, basically acting like a jerk and annoying women until they seem to turn a corner and she invites him to her place. It's equal parts mind-blowing and infuriating.

Not saying that's the case here. Harassment is harassment and it's just plain ugly. Where there's a hierarchy like a university, the work place, athletics, there need to be clear boundaries. This is predatory BS, or so it seems from the story. But otherwise, I have no idea how some of this crazy stuff plays out.

Reactions: psuken
So her first reaction isn't to tell the flight attendant, or to report it to authorities. It's to have a random passenger report it?
Exactly. You have just suffered some kind of sexual assault, most likely a misdemeanor crime, why not contact the proper legal authority? I don't understand this. At Baylor, coed is raped and the response is to complain to the football coach?

Exactly. You have just suffered some kind of sexual assault, most likely a misdemeanor crime, why not contact the proper legal authority? I don't understand this. At Baylor, coed is raped and the response is to complain to the football coach?

I get it. College sports is very hierarchical, even military. Head coaches have almost absolute power, the coaching gossip grapevine is very tight, assistant coaching jobs are very hard to get, and Penn State is one of the top fencing programs in the nation.

So yeah, as bad as it was, I can understand her decision to wait and talk to her bosses before she decides how to proceed. If it had been a stranger in the next seat, sure, she'd have the flight attendants take over and the guy would be handed over to security and police when they land.

But given it's a Penn State coach and probably a pretty well known guy in the world of college fencing, she wants to proceed in a way that doesn't torpedo her career.

She seems more upset that the coach didn't get in trouble than she did about her own alleged assault. That alone is a huge red flag.

This George “Gia” Abashidze dude sounds like a real POS who did not deserve the privilege of employment at Penn State. His wife and kids must be so proud.

As for Jennifer Oldham, why not press the freaking service button and tell the flight attendant you want a new seat? It's garbage that women routinely have to deal with this kind of harassment on long flights, and she is in no way at fault, but there is a way to remove yourself from the situation.

That said, I'm glad Abashidze was reported. Wonder if we can revoke his green card and boot him from the country.

2202060949_071d25b0bc_b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
In reading any thread dealing with a topic like this I see posts questioning why the "victim" did this, or did not do that. It seems to me, unless, or until, you have been a victim, you have no idea how you will react. What seems like perfect sense in reading a news story becomes much more confusing when confronted with an actual event.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
That's how I feel too. It's crazy. There's good game and bad game....and usual rules typically apply. Inexplicably, horrid game is sometimes effective.

There's one guy I've known much of my life who's not that great looking, not very smart and has slept with so many women it's truly countless (and gross). Over decades I've regrettably seen him in action, basically acting like a jerk and annoying women until they seem to turn a corner and she invites him to her place. It's equal parts mind-blowing and infuriating.

Not saying that's the case here. Harassment is harassment and it's just plain ugly. Where there's a hierarchy like a university, the work place, athletics, there need to be clear boundaries. This is predatory BS, or so it seems from the story. But otherwise, I have no idea how some of this crazy stuff plays out.

Does this lifelong friend of yours have a blog or anything? :rolleyes:

HEY! Asking for a friend, Bubba. ;)

(Ok, I know.... too soon.... and in poor taste.... and I am not making light of harassment, just the guy who gets lucky against all odds.)

This George “Gia” Abashidze dude sounds like a real POS who did not deserve the privilege of employment at Penn State. His wife and kids must be so proud.

As for Jennifer Oldham, why not press the freaking service button and tell the flight attendant you want a new seat? It's garbage that women routinely have to deal with this kind of harassment on long flights, and she is in no way at fault, but there is a way to remove yourself from the situation.

That said, I'm glad Abashidze was reported. Wonder if we can revoke his green card and boot him from the country.

2202060949_071d25b0bc_b.jpg

Or slap the bastard across the chops when he grabbed her? I think - hope - we are in an age of enough knowledge about these incidents that we all are ok with a slap or a knee to a soft spot or whatever in an instance like this. As a coach, she may have gone through some training on this type of thing herself, and would maybe have some intel about how to react and handle. And to report! Cops, not coaches!

I can see being in a tougher spot to know what should be done if they were alone, or in an area with just a few others around. She, and any potential victim, have multiple options on an airplane. A slap, a loud 'knock it off', calling the attendant, getting another person involved, getting up and getting away..... A trained athlete can think on their feet better than the average person. What happened to her is horrible, but I am among those baffled by her lack of quick retaliation given the options at hand. That said, no doubt she has wrestled with those same thoughts about what she could have or should have done. Lessons for future instances.

Just out of curiosity, how many people on this board have been witness to an assault of another person? Sexual or physical? And of those, how many took it upon themselves to intercede? Or how many called the authorities?

I am curious.

Penn State, like every other university, has its share of good and bad coaches, athletes, professors, students.... We have never held the moral high ground, although some here think otherwise. We have also never been a bastion of evil, despite allegations to the contrary by fans of other schools.
Under Joepa for sure our football team held the higher moral ground. I think it still does too

I understand what you are saying, but few outside the Penn State community will agree with you when there was a pedophile on the staff for 30 years.

Yeah, a pedophile who was approved as an adoptive parent and foster parent. The professionals were duped but the folks at PSU had to have known, right?? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bob78
Yeah, a pedophile who was approved as an adoptive parent and foster parent. The professionals were duped but the folks at PSU had to have known, right?? :rolleyes:
I didn't say I agreed with the national perception, but few outside State College would agree that Penn State football held the moral high ground when Sandusky was on staff.

I didn't say I agreed with the national perception, but few outside State College would agree that Penn State football held the moral high ground when Sandusky was on staff.

I didn't have the impression you agreed and didn't mean to imply you did. Apologies. I too was ridiculing the general lack of logic by used by those who were carrying pitchforks and torches.

Jerry was not on the staff in 2001 when PSU became aware of and reported his suspicious behavior.

You are preaching to the choir. Few outside this board know the facts or care. My point was, and remains, all schools have their share of good and bad people. Many here, including myself, have embraced the good and ignored the bad while pontificating that we were better than everyone else. In the end, that helped fuel the fires set by those who were eager to call us hypocrites.

ADVERTISEMENT