ADVERTISEMENT

Susan Snyder of the Inquirer is a shill for Freeh, the OAG, and the old guard BOT

francofan

Oct 26, 2015
Ralph Cipriano in his bigtrial blog does an exemplary job of exposing Susan Snyder of the Inquirer as a shill for Freeh, the OAG, and the old guard BOT in that her reporting on the Penn State fiasco is biased and serves the interests of the OAG, old guard BOT, Corbett, Freeh, and others. Cipriano identifies numerous instances in her recent article in the Inquirer on the leak of the Alumni BOT review of the Freeh Report that were less than objective including treating the Alumni BOT in a condescending manner, giving lots of ink in a flattering way to Freeh and the BOT, and not mentioning key developments in the story such as the findings from NCIS Special Agent John Snedden's federal investigation into key aspects of events. Here is an excerpt from Ralph's latest blog post.

Accomplices In the Media

Finally, to keep up with the unending work of accomplices in the media, we come to one Susan Snyder, staff writer for The Philadelphia Inquirer.

I happen to know from my own sources that Snyder, who allegedly covers higher education, has turned a deaf ear for years on requests to look into what really happened at Penn State. Nothing to see here folks. We got it right the first time.

But when I wrote a blog post earlier this week about WJAC-TV having a copy of the trustees report on Freeh, I mentioned that the Inquirer also had the report, but was sitting on it.

Snyder and her newspaper promptly sprang into action. Or should I call it reverse action.

Her story is a textbook example of media bias and slanted news coverage. It's also intellectually dishonest. She and her newspaper should be ashamed of themselves, but I know from long experience that they fancy themselves as above all that.

Snyder begins her "objective" piece by noting in the lead paragraph that the report is the work of "longstanding critics" of Freeh.

Holding her nose, she then prints one paragraph of quotes from the trustees' report that dares to be critical of Freeh.

Then, in paragraph Three, she writes: "The report, signed by seven alumni-elected members of the school's board of trustees, attempts to make its case by highlighting emails and handwritten comments by investigators that seem to question the report's conclusions and Freeh's motivation, evidence that they say was ignored or never shared, a list of key people Freeh's team never interviewed, and questioned the interviewers couldn't answer."

Paragraph Four: "In many ways, it's a summary of claims that Penn State defenders have made in the years since the scandal broke, this time with material from Fresh's investigation that they say bolsters their view. For years, they have challenged prosecutors' suggestions that head football coach Joe Paterno and school administrators may have ignored a serial predator in their midst. They seethed at the NCAA sanctions, fumed at Fresh's report, and ran en masse for alumni seats on the board."

Paragraph Five: "When they got elected, they sued the university and won access to the hundreds of thousands of interviews notes and documents that Freeh, also a former judge, used to prepare his report, then spent hundreds of hours poring over them."
Paragraph Six: Penn State's leadership criticized the release of the report, and Freeh dismissed it as inconsequential, biased and inaccurate, a misguided attempt to turn back the clock and exonerate the university and its former leaders -- since convicted of endangerment -- for not stopping Sandusky years earlier.

Paragraph Seven: "The deniers continue to embarrass the many thousands of outstanding Penn State students, faculty and alumni by blindly disregarding the uncontroverted facts in favor of a misguided agenda," Freeh said in a statement.

Paragraph Eight: "It's release continues what has been an unending battle for those who believe that the former Penn State leaders perhaps made some misjudgments about how to handle Sandusky but did nothing intentionally wrong, and that a vaunted football program was scapegoated."

Again, this is a shining example of outrageously biased and slanted journalism, partisan commentary, reverse spin and damage control dressed up as a news story. By somebody, who, if what the trustees wrote was true, has a conflict of interest because she and her newspaper blew the story.

In the first eight paragraphs of her story, Snyder quotes the critics for precisely one paragraph, while spending a total of six paragraphs impugning the alleged motives of those same critics. Then she spends one paragraph allowing Freeh to defend himself, and another paragraph quoting university "leadership" who were actively engaged in covering up the report.

Instead of reporting the news, she's editorializing. And in classic fashion, she's impugning the motives of the people who wrote the report, rather than deal with the evidence that the report presents.

On twitter, and in an email, I asked Snyder how, as "one reporter to another," she could ignore that the trustees wrote about a contemporaneous but previously unknown federal investigation on the Penn State campus. A federal investigation that concluded that the only witness to the alleged shower rape, Mike McQueary, wasn't credible, and that there was no official cover up at Penn State.

The federal investigation, done in 2012, was disclosed in 2017 after the filing of a Freedom of Information request. The investigation was conducted for six months on the Penn State campus by former NCIS Special Agent and cold case investigator John Snedden, who wrote a 110-page report posted online.

Snedden's report, and many comments he made in two interviews with Big Trial, were quoted extensively by the trustees in their report. But Snyder willfully ignored it. She also did not respond on twitter to my comments, or to an email I sent her.

In her story, Snyder, in full cover up mode, gave Freeh a platform for a couple more paragraphs to take shots at his critics, such as calling them "a gang of deniers" who wrote a "misguided, tilted, dishonest and biased" report.

Of course, she didn't ask Freeh any hard questions, like whether he really did have a conflict of interest, as the trustees asserted in their report. The evidence of this was disclosed in Fresh's own internal emails, published in the trustees report, where he openly stated that he wanted to use the Penn State investigation as a stepping stone to become the "go-to investigator" for the scandal-plagued NCAA.

Snyder also didn't ask Freeh, as I did last year, about the many emails in the so-called Freeh source materials that show that former deputy Attorney General Frank Fina was routinely leaking grand jury secrets, along with grand jury transcripts, to Freeh and his investigators, in blatant and repeated violations of state law.

When I asked Freeh as a private citizen while he was investigating Penn State, to explain how he and his investigators were authorized to have access to grand jury secrets, he declined comment.

But Sue "The Shill" Snyder wasn't going to ask Freeh any hard questions; she's already in the tank. Instead, she published verbatim a four-page statement he put out impugning the messengers.

Why? Because Snyder is no objective journalist on this story. She's a partisan actively involved in carrying water for the prosecutors, Louis Freeh and Penn State trustees, all of whom are still actively engaged in an ongoing cover up of their own collusion, misconduct, and dereliction of duty in the scandal behind the scandal at Penn State.

It's shameful but sadly, it's nothing new for the Inquirer. In the Billy Doe scandal, as I have previously mentioned, after publishing more than 60 news stories and editorials that presented Billy as a legitimate victim of sex abuse, and castigating the church and the accused defendants, the Inquirer has never written one story that tells its readers it was a phony prosecution, and that the accused were innocent. Even after the D.A.'s office let the last innocent guy behind bars -- a Catholic schoolteacher falsely convicted of child rape -- out of jail nearly a dozen years early.

This time, in another sex abuse case that they blew to hell, instead of ignoring the truth, the Inky is actively involved in leading the cover up. They're attacking the messengers and shielding the miscreants, to ensure that the truth never comes out.

Shameful and corrupt.

http://www.bigtrial.net/2019/02/an-unholy-triangle.html

The fix is in.

I continue to ask this question.....but how were Curley/Spanier convicted of a crime that the statute of limitations had expired? How is that allowed to stand? What about the rule of law? Ignored.

2ly24c4.jpg

What connection does Susan Snyder have to the old guard BOT, and whatonection does Ralph Cipriano have with the Alumni trustees?

I'm not giving up. Bright, shining lights are coming but it will have to play out over the next 4-6 months.

Reactions: francofan
Of course, we get meaningful coverage on bigtrial.net, which nobody sees, and shit coverage on philly.com, which everybody sees.

Sadly, I don’t think the facts will come out for the world to actually see during our lifetimes.

I hope you are wrong. I am cautiously optimistic. Spanier's appeal of his conviction is due soon in the Pa. Supreme Court and I like his chances. That may move the needle a little bit.

Don't count Sandusky out either. His PCRA appeal also to the PA Supreme Court has a chance (Sandusky lawyer Al Lindsay likes his chance) and if that fails, there is always a writ of habeus corpus in the federal courts. If, and I know this is a big if, Sandusky wins a new trial then I believe the facts will come out.

Too many people know that the current narrative of what happened is wrong for the facts to remain burried forever. I just hope that the truth comes out sooner rather than later.

The fix is in.

I continue to ask this question.....but how were Curley/Spanier convicted of a crime that the statute of limitations had expired? How is that allowed to stand? What about the rule of law? Ignored.

2ly24c4.jpg
you have to recall what happened....according to the jury foreperson, there was a person that wanted a conviction of something/anything. It was Friday afternoon and they all wanted to go home for the weekend. They looked at a charge they could agree upon to get a unanimous vote. They found this tiny charge and agreed upon it, again, to be able to go home for the weekend. The prosecution quickly used their pulpit to claim victory, all of the national media who needed to cover their asses yelled "see!", and the rest is history.

The fix is in.

2ly24c4.jpg

They were found guilty by public opinion as opposed to the facts of the case and Judges must be re-elected and consequently often make their decisions based on public opinion. In addition, the OAG and the BOT have vested interests in having the false narratives continue forever.

Reactions: Bob78 and Obliviax
I hope you are wrong. I am cautiously optimistic. Spanier's appeal of his conviction is due soon in the Pa. Supreme Court and I like his chances. That may move the needle a little bit.

Don't count Sandusky out either. His PCRA appeal also to the PA Supreme Court has a chance (Sandusky lawyer Al Lindsay likes his chance) and if that fails, there is always a writ of habeus corpus in the federal courts. If, and I know this is a big if, Sandusky wins a new trial then I believe the facts will come out.

Too many people know that the current narrative of what happened is wrong for the facts to remain burried forever. I just hope that the truth comes out sooner rather than later.

When the entire PA judiciary is corrupt and controlled....you have no shot.

iu

Ralph Cipriano in his bigtrial blog does an exemplary job of exposing Susan Snyder of the Inquirer as a shill for Freeh, the OAG, and the old guard BOT in that her reporting on the Penn State fiasco is biased and serves the interests of the OAG, old guard BOT, Corbett, Freeh, and others. Cipriano identifies numerous instances in her recent article in the Inquirer on the leak of the Alumni BOT review of the Freeh Report that were less than objective including treating the Alumni BOT in a condescending manner, giving lots of ink in a flattering way to Freeh and the BOT, and not mentioning key developments in the story such as the findings from NCIS Special Agent John Snedden's federal investigation into key aspects of events. Here is an excerpt from Ralph's latest blog post.

Accomplices In the Media

Finally, to keep up with the unending work of accomplices in the media, we come to one Susan Snyder, staff writer for The Philadelphia Inquirer.

I happen to know from my own sources that Snyder, who allegedly covers higher education, has turned a deaf ear for years on requests to look into what really happened at Penn State. Nothing to see here folks. We got it right the first time.

But when I wrote a blog post earlier this week about WJAC-TV having a copy of the trustees report on Freeh, I mentioned that the Inquirer also had the report, but was sitting on it.

Snyder and her newspaper promptly sprang into action. Or should I call it reverse action.

Her story is a textbook example of media bias and slanted news coverage. It's also intellectually dishonest. She and her newspaper should be ashamed of themselves, but I know from long experience that they fancy themselves as above all that.

Snyder begins her "objective" piece by noting in the lead paragraph that the report is the work of "longstanding critics" of Freeh.

Holding her nose, she then prints one paragraph of quotes from the trustees' report that dares to be critical of Freeh.

Then, in paragraph Three, she writes: "The report, signed by seven alumni-elected members of the school's board of trustees, attempts to make its case by highlighting emails and handwritten comments by investigators that seem to question the report's conclusions and Freeh's motivation, evidence that they say was ignored or never shared, a list of key people Freeh's team never interviewed, and questioned the interviewers couldn't answer."

Paragraph Four: "In many ways, it's a summary of claims that Penn State defenders have made in the years since the scandal broke, this time with material from Fresh's investigation that they say bolsters their view. For years, they have challenged prosecutors' suggestions that head football coach Joe Paterno and school administrators may have ignored a serial predator in their midst. They seethed at the NCAA sanctions, fumed at Fresh's report, and ran en masse for alumni seats on the board."

Paragraph Five: "When they got elected, they sued the university and won access to the hundreds of thousands of interviews notes and documents that Freeh, also a former judge, used to prepare his report, then spent hundreds of hours poring over them."
Paragraph Six: Penn State's leadership criticized the release of the report, and Freeh dismissed it as inconsequential, biased and inaccurate, a misguided attempt to turn back the clock and exonerate the university and its former leaders -- since convicted of endangerment -- for not stopping Sandusky years earlier.

Paragraph Seven: "The deniers continue to embarrass the many thousands of outstanding Penn State students, faculty and alumni by blindly disregarding the uncontroverted facts in favor of a misguided agenda," Freeh said in a statement.

Paragraph Eight: "It's release continues what has been an unending battle for those who believe that the former Penn State leaders perhaps made some misjudgments about how to handle Sandusky but did nothing intentionally wrong, and that a vaunted football program was scapegoated."

Again, this is a shining example of outrageously biased and slanted journalism, partisan commentary, reverse spin and damage control dressed up as a news story. By somebody, who, if what the trustees wrote was true, has a conflict of interest because she and her newspaper blew the story.

In the first eight paragraphs of her story, Snyder quotes the critics for precisely one paragraph, while spending a total of six paragraphs impugning the alleged motives of those same critics. Then she spends one paragraph allowing Freeh to defend himself, and another paragraph quoting university "leadership" who were actively engaged in covering up the report.

Instead of reporting the news, she's editorializing. And in classic fashion, she's impugning the motives of the people who wrote the report, rather than deal with the evidence that the report presents.

On twitter, and in an email, I asked Snyder how, as "one reporter to another," she could ignore that the trustees wrote about a contemporaneous but previously unknown federal investigation on the Penn State campus. A federal investigation that concluded that the only witness to the alleged shower rape, Mike McQueary, wasn't credible, and that there was no official cover up at Penn State.

The federal investigation, done in 2012, was disclosed in 2017 after the filing of a Freedom of Information request. The investigation was conducted for six months on the Penn State campus by former NCIS Special Agent and cold case investigator John Snedden, who wrote a 110-page report posted online.

Snedden's report, and many comments he made in two interviews with Big Trial, were quoted extensively by the trustees in their report. But Snyder willfully ignored it. She also did not respond on twitter to my comments, or to an email I sent her.

In her story, Snyder, in full cover up mode, gave Freeh a platform for a couple more paragraphs to take shots at his critics, such as calling them "a gang of deniers" who wrote a "misguided, tilted, dishonest and biased" report.

Of course, she didn't ask Freeh any hard questions, like whether he really did have a conflict of interest, as the trustees asserted in their report. The evidence of this was disclosed in Fresh's own internal emails, published in the trustees report, where he openly stated that he wanted to use the Penn State investigation as a stepping stone to become the "go-to investigator" for the scandal-plagued NCAA.

Snyder also didn't ask Freeh, as I did last year, about the many emails in the so-called Freeh source materials that show that former deputy Attorney General Frank Fina was routinely leaking grand jury secrets, along with grand jury transcripts, to Freeh and his investigators, in blatant and repeated violations of state law.

When I asked Freeh as a private citizen while he was investigating Penn State, to explain how he and his investigators were authorized to have access to grand jury secrets, he declined comment.

But Sue "The Shill" Snyder wasn't going to ask Freeh any hard questions; she's already in the tank. Instead, she published verbatim a four-page statement he put out impugning the messengers.

Why? Because Snyder is no objective journalist on this story. She's a partisan actively involved in carrying water for the prosecutors, Louis Freeh and Penn State trustees, all of whom are still actively engaged in an ongoing cover up of their own collusion, misconduct, and dereliction of duty in the scandal behind the scandal at Penn State.

It's shameful but sadly, it's nothing new for the Inquirer. In the Billy Doe scandal, as I have previously mentioned, after publishing more than 60 news stories and editorials that presented Billy as a legitimate victim of sex abuse, and castigating the church and the accused defendants, the Inquirer has never written one story that tells its readers it was a phony prosecution, and that the accused were innocent. Even after the D.A.'s office let the last innocent guy behind bars -- a Catholic schoolteacher falsely convicted of child rape -- out of jail nearly a dozen years early.

This time, in another sex abuse case that they blew to hell, instead of ignoring the truth, the Inky is actively involved in leading the cover up. They're attacking the messengers and shielding the miscreants, to ensure that the truth never comes out.

Shameful and corrupt.

Ira's tentacles have a long reach...

What connection does Susan Snyder have to the old guard BOT, and whatonection does Ralph Cipriano have with the Alumni trustees?

I don't know any connections that Susan Snyder has with the old guard BOT other than she shills for them.

I am not sure of any connections that Cipriano has with the Alumni trustees other than they both realize that the whole Penn State story hasn't come out yet.

I don't know any connections that Susan Snyder has with the old guard BOT other than she shills for them.

I am not sure of any connections that Cipriano has with the Alumni trustees other than they both realize that the whole Penn State story hasn't come out yet.

I really think these folks, and their egos, will not allow them to admit that, perhaps, they invested too much in a rush to judgement, and they will do anything they can to perpetuate the narrative. I think you also have to throw in that most of these folks try to make it about CSA, but, in fact, they really like what it has done to the legacy of Joe Paterno, and the misery it's caused his family.

Reactions: Bob78 and royboy

Accomplices In the Media

Shameful and corrupt.

Snyder =
61TtzfmfoyL._SX425_.jpg

I would just like to see a retrial based ..........solely on V2. I want to hear MM and the victim that collected 3M rehash that fateful night one more time with an anime video to show sight lines. Dr. D and JM testifying about what MM saw. Oh, and why they thought telling Joe tomorrow was the way to go.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
See where Snyder, 48,
, an Allentown native and an IUP grad, won a Pulitzer in 2012, so she probably believes she can write what she pleases.

Reactions: francofan
I would just like to see a retrial based ..........solely on V2. I want to hear MM and the victim that collected 3M rehash that fateful night one more time with an anime video to show sight lines. Dr. D and JM testifying about what MM saw. Oh, and why they thought telling Joe tomorrow was the way to go.

I would like to hear a retrial so that I see witnesses such as v1, v2, v4, v5, Matt Sandusky, plaintiff lawyers/pyschologists, Mike McQueary, prosecutors, Tom Corbett, old guard BOT members and Sara Ganim undergo an informed cross examination so that we can hold all of the culprits and perpetrators to account.

Or telling Joe six weeks later.

Another issue that doesn’t get much attention is that V2 was not called as a witness after he told authorities a story that contradicted a statement given to the OAG by his attorney Andrew Shubin. In the statement, Shubin claimed V2 was subject to horrific abuse that included anal intercourse. Later V2 stated he had not discussed with anyone the details of his abuse, even his lawyer. Why didn’t Frank Fina have Shubin charged with obstruction of justice for providing that false statement?

Believe me, I hope I’m wrong too.

The fix is in.

2ly24c4.jpg
SOL abuse is only one of many issues that prove conclusively that the PA OAG, Former AG and Governor Corbett, his buddies in the OAG BOT, Freeh, B1G, Fina, Noonan and the corrupted PA Court system conspired and engineered this political "hit" on PSU Football, Paterno, C/S/S.

This fact of criminal conspiracy is NOT IN DOUBT
......Too much legally contestable signs of abuse for over 6 years in multiple trials in PA Courts for anything else to be the truth.

My two questions for today - February 15, 2019 - are:
(1) How have the courts NOT seen these issues and immediately acted on them? Where are the criminal indictments for ANY of those who participated - How are C/S/S cases NOT overturned yet???
(2) How are these suspicion of crimes being kept from the public when this is the largest STATE SCANDAL in history???

Last edited:
SOL abuse is only one of many issues that prove conclusively that the PA OAG, Former AG and Governor Corbett, his buddies in the OAG BOT, Freeh, B1G, Fina, Noonan and the corrupted PA Court system conspired and engineered this political "hit" on PSU Football, Paterno, C/S/S.

This fact of criminal conspiracy is NOT IN DOUBT
......Too much legally contestable signs of abuse for over 6 years in multiple trials in PA Courts for anything else to be the truth.

My two questions for today - February 15, 2019 - are:
(1) How have the courts NOT seen these issues and immediately acted on them? Where are the criminal indictments for ANY of those who participated - How are C/S/S cases NOT yet overturned yet???
(2) How are these suspicion of crimes being kept from the public when this is the largest STATE SCANDAL in history???

And using a law that wasn't even in existence at the time of the "crime". It's great stuff.

Reactions: Zenophile and Bob78
I would like to hear a retrial so that I see witnesses such as v1, v2, v4, v5, Matt Sandusky, plaintiff lawyers/pyschologists, Mike McQueary, prosecutors, Tom Corbett, old guard BOT members and Sara Ganim undergo an informed cross examination so that we can hold all of the culprits and perpetrators to account.

The 'trial' was a farce. The "Trial of Billy Jack" was more believable.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Not to defend Snyder but it’s possible the Inquirer was checking legal issues to see if they could issue the full report. WJAC redacted some things regarding Baldwin, Belcher and Schultz that the Inquirer did not so that may explain the delay. Ciprano as a journalist should know that.

I don't "like" this, but I "liked" it because I couldn't agree with you more. However, FTFY:

When the entire nation's judiciary is corrupt and controlled....you have no shot.

PA's bad, but the problem is nationwide. It ain't just PA.

Reactions: 91Joe95
You can add Chip Minemyer, former editor of the CDT, to this list. FYI Chip "left" the CDT in 2014 to pursue a job at the Johnstown Tribune. He's recently opined about the A7's leaked report. The piece is not worth the moment of your time required to read it (& suffice it to say I won't be providing a link).

You can add Chip Minemyer, former editor of the CDT, to this list. FYI Chip "left" the CDT in 2014 to pursue a job at the Johnstown Tribune. He's recently opined about the A7's leaked report. The piece is not worth the moment of your time required to read it (& suffice it to say I won't be providing a link).

Chip Minemyer should know better that to write this garbage. He is also a shill for Freeh, the old guard BOT, and the OAG.

I think it is worth providing a link to demonstrate how ignorant the media is in this story and how their coverage continues to provide cover for Freeh, the old guard BOT, and to the Corbett/Fina and the OAG.

An excerpt includes:

Penn State called the leak of the report – which constitutes a potential violation of a court order – “reprehensible,” and said the group’s findings do not “represent the position or opinions of the Penn State Board of Trustees or the university in any way.”

Freeh, in a statement to The Associated Press, called the trustees report “misguided, tilted, dishonest and biased.”

He added: “The deniers continue to embarrass the many thousands of outstanding Penn State students, faculty, and alumni by blindly disregarding the uncontroverted facts in favor of a misguided agenda.”

There will be no common ground in this debate.

Penn State is still out $60 million in NCAA fines, and more than $200 million overall.

Sandusky is still in prison, Paterno is not coming back and the Penn State community and the football program have largely moved on.

Such rehashing of the scandal can only serve to sew division and angst – which is how our society seems to operate these days.

Such rebuttals can also bring unfortunate and unintended consequences – such as a passage in the leaked alumni trustees document that quotes a former Penn State player responding to Paterno’s alleged lack of urgency following a report from assistant coach Mike McQueary that Sandusky had been naked with a boy in the shower of the Lasch Building.

In attempting to show that Paterno didn’t comprehend the inappropriateness of Sandusky’s behavior, the player said: “Joe was as close to being a priest as a priest.”

Given current events, that statement might not necessarily support the argument that the former coach would never engage in institutional neglect of victims of child sexual abuse.

Penn State needs to start electing alumni trustees who realize the damage caused by digging up this debate over and over.

https://www.tribdem.com/news/chip-m...cle_d3485dca-315e-11e9-b70d-ff413fd71752.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT