ADVERTISEMENT

Surviving Multiple Myeloma

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
17 years ago I was diagnosed with MM, an incurable form of blood cancer. At the time the mean survival post diagnosis was about 3 years. With new medicines available I was able to go into remissions which lasted for several years, and upon failure switched to other newer treatments which were successful. This past fall my latest remission failed and two weeks ago I was switched to another newer medicine combination. I’m thrilled to report that after only about 2 weeks my cancer has diminished to the lowest level it’s been the entire time. I’m amazed that it’s working so fast and so well as I’ve not even been through one monthly cycle of treatment yet - it’s immunotherapy not chemo. I take a pill every day and a shot once a week. Now over the years I’ve developed other issues - AFIB, pacemaker, gall bladder surgery, type 2 diabetes partly from taking dex for the MM, but I can live with all that. Now I’m looking forward to my next blood test in a few weeks to see if this beast may even disappear. There are some world class Drs. at Penn doing amazing things now to cure cancer. Thanks for indulging me as I share some good news Now if I can only get the Covid vaccine I can get on with my normal life again. I’m still waiting for my first hole in one!

edit: scheduled for the vaccine on Friday :)

Last edited:
17 years ago I was diagnosed with MM, an incurable form of blood cancer. At the time the mean survival post diagnosis was about 3 years. With new medicines available I was able to go into remissions which lasted for several years, and upon failure switched to other newer treatments which were successful. This past fall my latest remission failed and two weeks ago I was switched to another newer medicine combination. I’m thrilled to report that after only about 2 weeks my cancer has diminished to the lowest level it’s been the entire time. I’m amazed that it’s working so fast and so well as I’ve not even been through one monthly cycle of treatment yet - it’s immunotherapy not chemo. I take a pill every day and a shot once a week. Now over the years I’ve developed other issues - AFIB, pacemaker, gall bladder surgery, type 2 diabetes partly from taking dex for the MM, but I can live with all that. Now I’m looking forward to my next blood test in a few weeks to see if this beast may even disappear. There are some world class Drs. at Penn doing amazing things now to cure cancer. Thanks for indulging me as I share some good news Now if I can only get the Covid vaccine I can get on with my normal life again. I’m still waiting for my first hole in one!
Prayers sent Nit, Godspeed my friend.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
An amazing story my friend. I cannot imagine the mental fortitude required to live with something of that nature, and the uncertainty of it all, for so many years. However, I’m sure you have had a positive attitude through it all, which has allowed you to be where you are today. Best of luck in your next appointment!

Reactions: vops
Amazing story, great to hear. MM is a tough one. I lost a dear friend about a decade ago to it. Keep the faith.

An amazing story my friend. I cannot imagine the mental fortitude required to live with something of that nature, and the uncertainty of it all, for so many years. However, I’m sure you have had a positive attitude through it all, which has allowed you to be where you are today. Best of luck in your next appointment!
As my mother used to say - “Don’t buy green bananas.”

Nitwit thank you for posting. Today my wife is in Thomas Jefferson getting micro beads of radiation for her cancer. She will get the second dose in 3 weeks and then weekly medicine that has shown promise against a largely “incurable” cancer.

The progress that is happening against cancer is real and rapid. My hopes and prayers is that the progress is rapid enough for my formerly healthy wife in her mid 50s to stay around for another 50 years.

Stories like your story are helpful and LionJim your comments are spot on.

I have had discussions with my wife on family traditions that she wants me to ensure that I carry forward if she is not around. Tough to talk through the tears.

God bless you Nitwit.

Great New Nitwit. BTW - how old are you (you don't have to answer)?

Nitwit thank you for posting. Today my wife is in Thomas Jefferson getting micro beads of radiation for her cancer. She will get the second dose in 3 weeks and then weekly medicine that has shown promise against a largely “incurable” cancer.

The progress that is happening against cancer is real and rapid. My hopes and prayers is that the progress is rapid enough for my formerly healthy wife in her mid 50s to stay around for another 50 years.

Stories like your story are helpful and LionJim your comments are spot on.

I have had discussions with my wife on family traditions that she wants me to ensure that I carry forward if she is not around. Tough to talk through the tears.

God bless you Nitwit.
Best wishes for a total recovery for your wife. Stay strong and optimistic. Things are being done now were unheard of just a short time ago. Things deemed incurable in the past are now treated as chronic conditions and successfully managed.

Wow, best wishes Nitwit! Amazing perseverance and bravery. Hope I can be so if I ever am faced with similar circumstances. Thoughts and prayers pointed your way.

You're being treated at UPenn?

My nephew was treated at Hershey Med for Stage 4 Hodgkin's lymphoma, with chemo. We are all amazed at how well the treatment worked.

I hope you get that hole in one!

I got five years under my belt so far. 17 is something to shoot for.
Day by day.

Last edited:
There are some world class Drs. at Penn doing amazing things now to cure cancer...I’m still waiting for my first hole in one!
Glad to hear it...my dad (now 68) went to Penn for Prostate cancer treatments a little over a year ago...so far, so good, and he had his first hole-in-one this past summer (incredible timing for it too, as it was in a monthly scramble that has a hole-in-one pot that had been building for 8+ years, and he took home over $1200 for it).

That's awesome, Nitwit. Heartfelt congratulations and continued best wishes for your health.

My college girlfriend and myself graduated PSU in 1978. Got married and one year later she came down with Multiple Myeloma. She was 22 years old. She passed away 2 and a half years later. Not much could be done then. Terrible disease. Glad to hear your success and my prayers are with you.

Reactions: psu00
My college girlfriend and myself graduated PSU in 1978. Got married and one year later she came down with Multiple Myeloma. She was 22 years old. She passed away 2 and a half years later. Not much could be done then. Terrible disease. Glad to hear your success and my prayers are with you.
I’m sorry to hear about your wife. Although they have never determined the cause, It is not a disease that usually occurs in people under 40. Some believe there is a correlation to environmental factors or perhaps a genetic disposition. In those days treatment options were very limited.

Thank you to all the well wishers on this board. It’s quite humbling to hear from so many of you whom I’ll probably never have the pleasure to meet but whose support and encouragement will stay with me in my fight. Getting older is not for sissies.

Last edited:
I too have Multiple Myeloma and also have received treatment at U of Penn [DR Stautdmier]. Its been 10 years for me. Best of luck. They continue to make progress ,but arent there yet .

So happy to hear your story. My neighbor was diagnosed probably 20 years ago and died pretty quickly. So happy you have had much better results.

That's awesome Nitwit, great to hear!

Thank you for posting. I have a couple of friends with MM and I’ll pass this along.

So very happy for you.All the best and good luck with the hole in one.Seems to me you have accomplished much more than that

Last edited:

Nitwit
I missed this the first time and that is fantastic news. We have a very good friend who was diagnosed last June [2020] with MM. they gave him five years. since then he has had stem cell treatment and is doing well although they are still not giving him positive long term prognosis. It is very encouraging to hear your news. this post is a couple months later, hope things are still going well.

Thanks, my latest blood result that I received this morning showed just a .2 of myeloma protein, down from 1.3 in January, and from 4.5 at the time I was diagnosed. I do a daily pill, and a shot every other week. The FDA just approved a new CART T treatment where they can take your own blood and modify the DNA to eliminate the cancer before reinfusing it. There are several new and effective drug therapies and hopefully one or more of them will benefit your friend. Best wishes to him.

Last edited:

Had 23 Basil cell cut out of me and 3 myelomas. Paying for the 1960's and 70"s.. Blister then tan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT