ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano interview

"hurt pretty bad
and "not healthy to compete"
and "hurt pretty bad"
and "never injured like that"

shoots a few narratives down

Reactions: fronk71
Said he knew PSU wasn't the right place for him around time of injury.

This guy talks about "being a man" a lot. Seems like Cael's coachspeak downplaying his injury bruised his ego a bit. The thing is...nobody was questioning his toughness or severity of injury. I think Nick has trouble understanding nuance.

He makes something close to zero sense explaining why he's at Rutgers. Except that it's all about him - even wrestling at Yankee Stadium is "going to be good marketing for me". Oh, well. I really get the impression that he wants to be the focal point of attention for the program which was never happening at Penn State.

Last edited:
Seriously.....it was a good interview by CP. I hope Nick is this year's National Champ.

Reactions: VRE
Seriously.....it was a good interview by CP. I hope Nick is this year's National Champ.
Yep, it was a good interview. But at the same time, I'll root for NS only if him winning helps PSU win a NC, and heck, I'm a Jersey guy. Granted, I'm in way west NJ, only a couple of we'll struck 3-woods from PA. Different world from Paramus, Bergen. But at the same time, I've always been happy to see a Jersey kid commit to PSU, and it was awesome watching Molinaro win a title in Happy Valley. Something just rubs me the wrong way when I listen to NS's narrative.

Yep, it was a good interview. But at the same time, I'll root for NS only if him winning helps PSU win a NC, and heck, I'm a Jersey guy. Granted, I'm in way west NJ, only a couple of we'll struck 3-woods from PA. Different world from Paramus, Bergen. But at the same time, I've always been happy to see a Jersey kid commit to PSU, and it was awesome watching Molinaro win a title in Happy Valley. Something just rubs me the wrong way when I listen to NS's narrative.

I'm in Morris County and it rubs me wrong, too. Now the previously floated stuff about the injury seems like yet another smokescreen. The wanting to be the big fish in a small pond reason, which I rejected first, is the thing that keeps ringing true the more I hear.

I'm in Morris County and it rubs me wrong, too. Now the previously floated stuff about the injury seems like yet another smokescreen. The wanting to be the big fish in a small pond reason, which I rejected first, is the thing that keeps ringing true the more I hear.
Please, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was Spyker that first reported that NS wanted to be a big fish in a small pond. I didnt necessarily buy it at the time, considering the source. But with every NS interview I hear, dare I say it, I think Spyker may have been right. Yup, I said it, gotta go gargle now.

Reactions: KBO and LHavenlion
At one point, didn't he talk about being with people like him or words to that effect. Not the most open minded, if correct.

Please, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was Spyker that first reported that NS wanted to be a big fish in a small pond. I didnt necessarily buy it at the time, considering the source. But with every NS interview I hear, dare I say it, I think Spyker may have been right. Yup, I said it, gotta go gargle now.
One attaboy will never make up for all of those aw shits.

Said he knew PSU wasn't the right place for him around time of injury.

This guy talks about "being a man" a lot. Seems like Cael's coachspeak downplaying his injury bruised his ego a bit. The thing is...nobody was questioning his toughness or severity of injury. I think Nick has trouble understanding nuance.

I don’t think the word “nuance” is in any dictionary in NJ.

I'm pretty sure Spyker was also the first to say Suriano has small hands

Reactions: VRE
I hope Lee takes out Nato and Suriano this year. Actually would love Cruz to win it all again, but I do not see that happening again.

Reactions: PSUBluebird
This interview provided a lot of insight into the real reason the kid left. Nick Suriano...loves himself some Nick Suriano. I think the biggest factor was that he wants to be "the man" on the team. Wasn't happening at Penn State apparently. But the Rutgers coaching staff recognized this and stroked his ego and convinced the kid that at Rutgers he will be the "show stopper". The kid has goals of getting into MMA and it sounds like Rutgers actually catered to that as well. He'll be the main event there. That's what his ego needs.

Reactions: lionlover
What an egotistical double talking horse-faced punk. There's something definitely wrong with him. I'm sure his old man is the ring leader but I can't stand the sight of him....I did watch the entire video and it was very uncomfortable. Knowing people close to PSU program....it's all about the Suriano's being in the spotlight (only ones) and that wasn't working too well at PSU. To think I was very high on that kid when he signed. Goes to show even Cael can misread someone on occasion.

I watched the entire interview and could not get past the "worked myself up from nothing" mentality. "I wrestled in garages" was another quote. Nick seems to be convincing himself he grew up a street kid without any advantages and fought for every bite of food. Modern day Rocky? How did he attend a private high school as a kid that came up from nothing?

True story. I was very upset when my 8th grade girlfriend broke up with me. Want to know how I'm able to drag my sorry ass out of bed every morning? I let it go and moved on. It's high time our fan base does the same with Nick. Living and breathing through the actions of others is sad.

True story. I was very upset when my 8th grade girlfriend broke up with me. Want to know how I'm able to drag my sorry ass out of bed every morning? I let it go and moved on. It's high time our fan base does the same with Nick. Living and breathing through the actions of others is sad.

Thanks for the advice Dear Abby....did you ever get laid after your breakup?

Thanks for the advice Dear Abby....did you ever get laid after your breakup?

Of course not. Never have, never will. I've dedicated most of my life pining for her fjords. At first I got my gratification from crank calling her home asking for Anita Bath, Maya Buttreeks and Hugh Jass. I spent most of my lawn mowing money on Sharpies to cover bathroom walls with insults. The rest of my money was spent filling condoms with Jergens to hang on her school locker. When she left Penn State after one year for Bloom, (again, true story), I hitchhiked every weekend so I could light bags of dog crap on her door step. When she got married, I hired an airplane to fly a banner asking "Have you seen Mike Hunt?" above the reception. I paid random grade schoolers five bucks to give her kids wedgies, wet willies and purple nurples on the playground. I later raised the ante to twenty bucks for swirlies.

Thirty-some years later I have finally moved on to flexing my internet muscles and rhetorical masturbation.

NS clearly does not fit on this team. He certainly embraces a street "me against the world" attitude. Good luck to him. I'll still root for the PA kid in any match against him.

Reactions: fronk71
Carrying "irregular objects" is a modality in classic "strongman" training. My inference is that those kegs are not empty, but have X pounds of water or sand in them (shifting weight) and the RU wrestlers are carrying them/holding them as part of their strength and conditioning. Anvils serve similar purposes, as do "slosh tubes" for pressing. As for the interview itself, I'll refrain from comment as we are dealing with 19-20 year olds who perhaps lack perspective or poise in front of an interviewer.

Carrying "irregular objects" is a modality in classic "strongman" training. My inference is that those kegs are not empty, but have X pounds of water or sand in them (shifting weight) and the RU wrestlers are carrying them/holding them as part of their strength and conditioning. Anvils serve similar purposes, as do "slosh tubes" for pressing. As for the interview itself, I'll refrain from comment as we are dealing with 19-20 year olds who perhaps lack perspective or poise in front of an interviewer.
The emptier the kegs get, the stronger I feel.

theme of the video should be "I love me some me". If that works for him and his great, lifes too short to not be happy. But i think people who follow this program understand why this wasnt the greatest fit from the jump.

Reactions: Lyons212
theme of the video should be "I love me some me". If that works for him and his great, lifes too short to not be happy. But i think people who follow this program understand why this wasnt the greatest fit from the jump.
I heard that the kid commissioned a new version of a Queen song for himself:

I am the champion, myself,
And I'll keep on fighting 'til the end.
I am the champion.
I am the champion.
No time for teammates
'Cause I am the champion ... of the world.

Of course not. Never have, never will. I've dedicated most of my life pining for her fjords. At first I got my gratification from crank calling her home asking for Anita Bath, Maya Buttreeks and Hugh Jass. I spent most of my lawn mowing money on Sharpies to cover bathroom walls with insults. The rest of my money was spent filling condoms with Jergens to hang on her school locker. When she left Penn State after one year for Bloom, (again, true story), I hitchhiked every weekend so I could light bags of dog crap on her door step. When she got married, I hired an airplane to fly a banner asking "Have you seen Mike Hunt?" above the reception. I paid random grade schoolers five bucks to give her kids wedgies, wet willies and purple nurples on the playground. I later raised the ante to twenty bucks for swirlies.

Thirty-some years later I have finally moved on to flexing my internet muscles and rhetorical masturbation.

Lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol!!!!!!

Reactions: diggerpup
As noted there is something not being said. The way he volunteered about not keeping grudges speaks volumes there was some major difference. Not the first time he, in so many words, says you don't need the nice facilities. He does want mma...

I understand that wrestling is an individual sport. That being said, Cale has opened my eyes that it is also a team sport. Nick seemed to forget that his individual ability reaches beyond selfish ambition. I don't hold anything against him, he is what he is. I hope he reaches all his goals that he set before himself. What is really clear to me now is how Cale recruits. While it is important to have the drive to be a champion, it is equally important to fit into a team concept. Unfortunately, many great high school wrestling athletes will never have that opportunity and thus not experience the team concept. I think this is where Cale earns his greatness. This was quite evident watching the NCAA's this year. Seeing teammates pulling for each other and watching their reactions. Cale is truly a master craftsman. His awesomeness besides be a great athlete and mentor, is also being a great coach in forming the relationship between individual athleticism and team greatness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT