ADVERTISEMENT

Super OT: Copper gutter advice?

PSU Mike

Jul 29, 2001
Glencoe, IL
I am considering whether I should shop for copper rain gutters and downspouts for my home. I think they’d be a great complement to the exterior, and I’ll be in the market to replace my existing ones anyway.

Can anybody share real life experience with having these or installing these? Does anybody have any informed watchouts regarding any b.s. contractors will be selling me in the process?

TIA.

I am considering whether I should shop for copper rain gutters and downspouts for my home. I think they’d be a great complement to the exterior, and I’ll be in the market to replace my existing ones anyway.

Can anybody share real life experience with having these or installing these? Does anybody have any informed watchouts regarding any b.s. contractors will be selling me in the process?

TIA.
My real life experience is some SOB stole the first story copper downspouts from my 80 year old brick 2 1/2 story home. I live in Allentown PA, if that is of help, because it is a routine occurrence, I understand.

20yrs ago I had half-round copper gutters and downspouts installed on the front of my little capecod style house.... wife and I were both working, no kids... we were in a position to spend a little more (well, alot more as I think I could done the entire house 3x in aluminum for what it cost me to do 50’ of straight shot - no mitred corners - and three verticals in front)... stunning when they were first installed, dull penny for the past 18yrs or so and only now starting to transition to the beautiful green patina... very durable - mine have weathered some if the highest Lake Ontario snowloads/ice damming (yeah, it’s a Cape afterall) and windstorms; so long as one remembers to not put a ladder directly on the gutter as you’ll absolutely crimp/bend the rolled edge... i’ve lost some of the little copper wire pop-on clips over the years from raking snow off the roof, otherwise they’re still gorgeous

This phenomena of copper-theft would have me concerned were my pipes shiny new ... the dull penny finish makes them a subtle detail that I love... kinda like a nice pair of cufflinks

Reactions: T J
Have you looked at....................cooper colored aluminum?
You probobly wear a "Polex" watch too, I suspect... if you can't afford copper gutters (I can't either) then why pretend that you do? It only makes you look foolish, IMHO.

This thread just made me randomly think of Johnny Carson’s “Copper Clapper Caper” bit.

Johnny truly was a great one.....always fun to watch his videos, especially when he could barely keep a straight face.

Reactions: T J and meanmiJ01
20yrs ago I had half-round copper gutters and downspouts installed on the front of my little capecod style house.... wife and I were both working, no kids... we were in a position to spend a little more (well, alot more as I think I could done the entire house 3x in aluminum for what it cost me to do 50’ of straight shot - no mitred corners - and three verticals in front)... stunning when they were first installed, dull penny for the past 18yrs or so and only now starting to transition to the beautiful green patina... very durable - mine have weathered some if the highest Lake Ontario snowloads/ice damming (yeah, it’s a Cape afterall) and windstorms; so long as one remembers to not put a ladder directly on the gutter as you’ll absolutely crimp/bend the rolled edge... i’ve lost some of the little copper wire pop-on clips over the years from raking snow off the roof, otherwise they’re still gorgeous

This phenomena of copper-theft would have me concerned were my pipes shiny new ... the dull penny finish makes them a subtle detail that I love... kinda like a nice pair of cufflinks

You have just lost all rights to criticize anyone based on how much they spend on cars.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I think they look best with a slate roof. But either way it dresses up a house like a necklace on a beautiful woman. If you had copper before, you won’t be happy with anything less.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
You have just lost all rights to criticize anyone based on how much they spend on cars.

I suspect you’re smart enough to know that sinking $$ into real property is usually a hell of a lot smarter than blowing coin on a vehicle... I think I spent $1,500 for copper half-round... obscene to some (even I had a lump in my gut giving them the “go” signal), tho we found the original blueprints to our cape and it showed copper... wanted to do the structure right

Be assured I will always happily mock those who are compelled to spend $60k for a bloated whale crappy-handling AWD curb-crusher grocery-getter ostensibly for cul-de-sac cred’

My real life experience is some SOB stole the first story copper downspouts from my 80 year old brick 2 1/2 story home. I live in Allentown PA, if that is of help, because it is a routine occurrence, I understand.
I know here in WV some meth head would have the copper gutters off the house before the guy had even finished the job!! And they probably wouldnt even leave much of a mess!!

ADVERTISEMENT