ADVERTISEMENT

Super 32 preview

Rider is legit, really nice win for him. Coloradans don't always get the most press but the tough ones from that state usually end up being pretty darn solid.

More like Josiah RIDEr...oh, wait. But seriously, shows that Joe doesn't often go under guys who can do that. Needs to regularly face better competition. Getting out from bottom is a common problem for young guys, he'll work it out.

More like Josiah RIDEr...oh, wait. But seriously, shows that Joe doesn't often go under guys who can do that. Needs to regularly face better competition. Getting out from bottom is a common problem for young guys, he'll work it out.

I was thinking the same thing during the match. Once he gets in the room that will work itself out.

Berge is going to come up after Courtney on 1. Omahahawk86 on the Iowa board mentioned that Berge has narrowed his choice down to PSU and Iowa, and visiting Iowa next weekend.

Joe Lee will be up on 3 after Sasso.

Didn't we read a few weeks ago that Berge really likes PSU but PSU might not have the funds for him ?

Do we need to refill the slush fund ? Lol

BTW, for those watching you may have noticed they pretty much always have the state the kids are from reversed.

Reactions: tikk10
BTW, for those watching you may have noticed they pretty much always have the state the kids are from reversed.
I thought that the LHP was for Lake Highland Prep and figured that was the FL kid. I was so confused. Thank you for letting us know.

Two Pennsylvania kids and a Maryland guy at Heavy. Is PSU pursuing any of these guys or an HW? Thanks experts.

We'll almost certainly land Seth Nevills in 2018. Anyone else we might get at HWT can't need much money.

Not sure if either of those guys fit that bill. I'd also keep an eye on 220 Kennerly from Upper Darby.

Hard to judge the 220/285 results. Football players don't go to S32.

Reactions: Maddog and tgar
Personally I don't understand offering Berge with Manville coming in next year and Lee the year after

Personally I don't understand offering Berge with Manville coming in next year and Lee the year after

1. Maybe he'd come for a discount ? And let the cream rise to the top in the practice room.
2. At the minimum, recruiting him hard drives up the schollie price Iowa has to pay.

1. Maybe he'd come for a discount ? And let the cream rise to the top in the practice room.
2. At the minimum, recruiting him hard drives up the schollie price Iowa has to pay.
Just don't want to end up with money tied up in 4 guys for 2 spots

I'm not bought into Berge 100%, but I don't want Iowa or MN to get him. He's a better rider than his brother was, but I'm pretty sure he's an old senior just like Broc, too. I'm not sure how much more he'll gain in a college room.

Careful. I had a similar question about Berge awhile ago and was admonished by a certain member of the self-appointed board police. You know, how could you ever question the staff in any way on an internet message board?

I'm not bought into Berge 100%, but I don't want Iowa or MN to get him. He's a better rider than his brother was, but I'm pretty sure he's an old senior just like Broc, too. I'm not sure how much more he'll gain in a college room.
I thought they only two guys who looked as good as Berge today were Arujau and Sasso, though I missed some of the upper weight matches. Berge's offense trailed off late in the day but I think that was more a gas tank thing than a being outmatched thing. But he was never in trouble even against the impressive Glasgow who gave him some difficulty early. I get what you're saying with respect to certain high schoolers maturing faster, dominating due to a college body, and never finding the next gear when the playing field levels, but I don't get that vibe from Berge. Hard to say why but kid seems like a gamer to me.

I thought they only two guys who looked as good as Berge today were Arujau and Sasso, though I missed some of the upper weight matches. Berge's offense trailed off late in the day but I think that was more a gas tank thing than a being outmatched thing. But he was never in trouble even against the impressive Glasgow who gave him some difficulty early. I get what you're saying with respect to certain high schoolers maturing faster, dominating due to a college body, and never finding the next gear when the playing field levels, but I don't get that vibe from Berge. Hard to say why but kid seems like a gamer to me.
How did Adam B look?

And do we have any idea what weight range he projects to?

I get what you're saying with respect to certain high schoolers maturing faster, dominating due to a college body, and never finding the next gear when the playing field levels, but I don't get that vibe from Berge. Hard to say why but kid seems like a gamer to me.

Berge was noticeably smaller than Glasgow and Hovis. From other matches I have seen, his gas tank was 3/4 full today but he'll be back to normal soon which is kind of a scary thought considering that he wasn't really pushed (cardio wise) that hard at Super 32. I think many of those closer matches (Brooks and Glasgow) would have been majors. At full speed, he is more athletic than Sorensen. Imagine he walks around at around 160. Probably could have wrestled 145 today.

How did Adam B look?
Pretty dominant. Almost every match was the same--he'd ride guys for full periods and crank on arms til their shoulders nearly popped out. Some great scrambles. At least twice between yesterday and today he pulled off a cradle while his guy still has his leg. My only reservation was not being all that impressed by any of the guys he faced. Obviously way too early to project his college weight but he looks too gangly to be a future 125, and more like a kid who's going to hit a growth spurt along the way.

Pretty dominant. Almost every match was the same--he'd ride guys for full periods and crank on arms til their shoulders nearly popped out. Some great scrambles. At least twice between yesterday and today he pulled off a cradle while his guy still has his leg. My only reservation was not being all that impressed by any of the guys he faced. Obviously way too early to project his college weight but he looks too gangly to be a future 125, and more like a kid who's going to hit a growth spurt along the way.
He's going 120 this season and is a sophomore. Also his older brother was at 145 as a senior last season so it's very possible Adam is bigger than 125 in the future

Reactions: tikk10
If Berge can hold 149 (he said that's his plan), it would be a perfect fit.

That's a fine plan, but seems to assume that he isn't going to grow in the next few years, or for a few years after that if he's planning to be a career 149 pounder. I mean, he's got to be pretty close to 149 right now, no?

Last edited:
That's a fine plan, but seems to assume that he isn't going to in the next few years, or for a few years after that if he's planning to be a career 149 pounder. I mean, he's got to be pretty close to 149 right now, no?

Well I think the Lee Bros (nor relation to Spencer of course) fill the 40's for you all. Nick may even end up at 49 after his first year with Joe coming in to replace Nolf. Joe isn't as technically sound as his bro but that can be fixed. Love the high and tight haircuts from them both....nice throwback (actually, everyday haircut for me).

Well I think the Lee Bros (nor relation to Spencer of course) fill the 40's for you all. Nick may even end up at 49 after his first year with Joe coming in to replace Nolf. Joe isn't as technically sound as his bro but that can be fixed. Love the high and tight haircuts from them both....nice throwback (actually, everyday haircut for me).
I've mentioned a few times their hair makes them look like young Johnny Unitas. Not a bad old school role model.

Certainly better than the foppish/Pet Shop Boy/Kajagoogooesque nightmare that was Molinaro and Nickal's hair last year

I've mentioned a few times their hair makes them look like young Johnny Unitas. Not a bad old school role model.

Certainly better than the foppish/Pet Shop Boy/Kajagoogooesque nightmare that was Molinaro and Nickal's hair last year

I was thinking of the runt from Hoosiers. Had the school had wrestling, he would have fit right in:

5e924f2a90ef4d095ba31781a452072c.jpg

That's a fine plan, but seems to assume that he isn't going to grow in the next few years, or for a few years after that if he's planning to be a career 149 pounder. I mean, he's got to be pretty close to 149 right now, no?

That's why I said "if". And yes, Lee may get to 149 too.

I think that was in reference to Beard not Berge??

What Ames2State posted about Beard in July was this: "Do not be surprised, sooner rather than later, when Michael Beard gives his commitment to Penn State."

And in September he said this about Berge: "Berge wants to commit to Penn State. With that being said, scholarship money and the coaching staff needing to be completely buying-in are the two final steps."

Look Berge is a very good wrestler and if he says he is heading to 149, then I would guess he is 149 for at least a year or two, if not more.

But we already have Manville and Joe Lee coming in. Who knows - Nick Lee may end up at 149 after a couple of years. We have LemonPie on here constantly harping that Manville is a waste (although supposedly he is going ROTC, so he is essentially a walk-on), but I don't think he's taken a loss (I'm not going to look it up right now, correct me if I'm wrong) to anyone but a SR level wrestler since an OT loss to Marinelli a couple of years ago.

Obviously, we were not offering enough for Beard who had interest (good choice by him, though) - which IMO means we either have extremely little money left OR we just don't think we need a 197. I don't know - I think Beard is going to be GREAT in college - but maybe that's just me and my SE PA bias. It would make NO sense to me to not offer a lot to Beard and then offer a lot to Berge - who may never see the lineup, or may only see it for a year or two - no matter how good he is. But I'm not paid to make these decisions, Cael is and he's the best at it.

There are very good and elite wrestlers out there all over the place that are not going to end up here. I think the only reason posters on here get excited about Berge is because Iowa posters want him and they want to stick it to them. Otherwise I'd think he'd make as much as a ripple as Austin O'Connor going to UNC or Gfeller going to OK State.

Reactions: diggerpup
Manville took a couple losses to Hidlay prior to their senior seasons but revenged those losses a couple times too
Yes, you're right - not sure how I forgot about those. But the point remains - Hidlay and Marinelli in OT, Hidlay's were revenged. 3 years from now is anyone going to be surprised if Mason is our starter at 157 as a rsSO? Three years from now is it guaranteed Berge is going to be a 149? That Lee isn't 149 then? IDK, guess I'm just still a little sore not getting the Beard commitment, lol.

Reactions: jtothemfp
...3 years from now is anyone going to be surprised if Mason is our starter at 157 as a rsSO?
Maybe these guys?

80 kg/176 lbs.
1. Cheney Haight, Colorado Springs, Colo. (NYAC/USOTC)
2. Patrick Martinez, Colorado Springs, Colo. (U.S. Army WCAP)
3. Jon Anderson, Colorado Springs, Colo. (U.S. Army WCAP)
4. Kendrick Sanders, Homestead, Fla. (NYAC/NMU)
5. Kamal Bey, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Front Range WC)
6. Jesse Porter, Clifton Park, N.Y.(NYAC/NMU)
7. Dillon Cowan, Colorado Springs, Colo. (U.S. Army WCAP)
8. Alec Ortiz, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
9. Barrett Stanghill, Philipsburg, Mont. (NYAC/NMU)
10. Mason Manville, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Minnesota Storm)

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...eases-Non-Olympic-Weight-rankings-for-October

What Ames2State posted about Beard in July was this: "Do not be surprised, sooner rather than later, when Michael Beard gives his commitment to Penn State."

And in September he said this about Berge: "Berge wants to commit to Penn State. With that being said, scholarship money and the coaching staff needing to be completely buying-in are the two final steps."

However Ames also said in a more recent post that interest in Beard had waned

However Ames also said in a more recent post that interest in Beard had waned

All I can tell you is that Michael fell in love with Northwestern (NW) on his recruiting trip. He was 100% to PSU about 6 months ago, but NW did a phenomenal job recruiting and closing on him. It also doesn't hurt that the HC of NW just so happened to be my former teammate at Foxcatcher/Renegades and my teammate at PSU. Northwestern & Cornell in particular are establishing very good relationships with our program. Currently, Cornell has two former MP kids in Joey Galasso (149lbs) and Jake Anderson (197lber).

ADVERTISEMENT