ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Funday on Twitter with Wreck Hall and Snyderman

I ran off a lot of superstition/repetition as a competitor and still do to this day. Afraid I may have to agree with the 2 nittany lions on this one....gosh I feel like anakin Skywalker in episode 3

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
For those with interest, the logical fallacy here is known as "post hoc ergo propter hoc." (The translation from the Latin is: "After this, therefore because of this".) For example: The rooster crowed, then the sun rose. Therefore, the rooster made the sun rise.

For those with interest, the logical fallacy here is known as "post hoc ergo propter hoc." (The translation from the Latin is: "After this, therefore because of this".) For example: The rooster crowed, then the sun rose. Therefore, the rooster made the sun rise.
"post hoc ergo propter hoc."

Bet you can't say that fast three times...

Reactions: Dogwelder
I used to never let my mom linger in the TV room when the Steelers/Iggles or Penn State were on - except to bring in cookies. It generally worked.

Our black mama cat got to stay - she was good luck

I bought a "Pin State" tee shirt this year. It arrived in the mail a day or two before nationals. I wore it every day through the tournament. Hard to argue with the results.

I bought a "Pin State" tee shirt this year. It arrived in the mail a day or two before nationals. I wore it every day through the tournament. Hard to argue with the results.

Lesson learned -

Wearing a t-shirt, unwashed for multiple days, contributes to desired sports outcomes? ;)

Lesson learned -

Wearing a t-shirt, unwashed for multiple days, contributes to desired sports outcomes? ;)
Yes, keeps The Boss away so I can watch wrestling instead of cooking show reruns.

Reactions: T J
Yes, keeps The Boss away so I can watch wrestling instead of cooking show reruns.

"Stirring the pot" re cooking show reruns.

LOL - Well played El-Jefe. ;)

Last edited:
Always thought routine and superstition was overrated. Once you step on the mat it's all out the window.

Last edited:
If the sport is 90% mental (like many say). How can a belief in your routine not help? How can disrupting what you believe to be your ideal routine not hurt?

Always thought routine and superstition was overrated. One you step on the mat it's all out the window.
Mystique and Aura are dancers in a nightclub. Those are not things we concern ourselves with on the ball field.
- Curt Schilling

If the sport is 90% mental (like many say). How can a belief in your routine not help? How can disrupting what you believe to be your ideal routine not hurt?
Because anybody who tells you it's 90 percent mental is either an idiot or a liar.

I find it somewhat ironic that a wrestler from a team that changes it's uniform for the finals, claims that superstition is irrelevant.

Because anybody who tells you it's 90 percent mental is either an idiot or a liar.

Its hyperbole, but holds some truth. It means once you get to a certain level, what makes the difference? Obviously everyone at this level works hard. They are obviously all physically talented. Why is it the most (seemingly) physically gifted is many times not the best?

The mental piece plays a large part even in the physical training. Who can push themselves harder and farther than the next guy? Who will study harder, etc. Anyone who has been at a high level of any sport should have a feel for the mental aspect of sports, though they might not recognize it. Even this doesn't always mean you are the best.

What makes a guy just not quit? Wear someone else down? Its not just physical. Michael Jordan beat guys mentally. Ask Hersey Hawkins. Was he incredibly talented? Of course. But he used everything he had and intimidation was one of his tools. Same goes for Kareem. Master of intimidation.

Do you think Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods were "better, stronger, etc" physically than everyone? They and everyone around would say no (at least not everyone). Tom Weiskoph was maybe the most physically gifted golfer in every area I ever saw. He could do it all. You ask who? Point made.

They (Jack and Tiger) had a mental toughness rarely seen in any sport. Tiger, again, master of intimidation. Many times he won because the other guys thought he was going to win. He was great, yes, but great at winning mentally too. All the great ones know how to use that.

Love watching Zain come out on the mat. Menacing. Intimidating in a physical way. Jason like a cat waiting for the bird to swoop in and then pick it off. Also menacing, but in a different way. Where does that come from?

So to me, the winning starts on the practice field, in the room, on the practice tee. Its a mixture of a lot of things, but when I was in school, the Iowa wrestlers you just knew were going to punish....and though they didn't intimidate everyone (sure did a lot), THEY also knew they would be tough to beat. They had it all, technique, conditioning....and mental toughness. PSU is like that now. Confidence helps you to relax and wrestle your best, not make mistakes, etc. Question is, how do you get there?

Whether a person thinks "routine" or not (everyone has it in reality), they have to work hard. That is what Snyder meant. More a matter of semantics as far as I'm concerned. Routine helps prepare, so I'm all for it. It helped me. If Snyder doesn't think he has a "routine", I would like to watch his daily prep. :) We all have routine. Need it. Whether you do little things getting ready for a match doesn't matter. Some joke. Some listen to music. Some don't say a word, etc, etc. Each person knows what they need to do or not do....even Snyder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT