ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Comic Strips

Who remembers the Sunday Funny Papers and the great characters?
Lil Abner
Dick Tracy
Iodine
Steve Canyon
The Phantom
So many others!!
Have to add Little Orphan Annie, Pogo, B.C. The Phantom and my personal favorite The Wizard of Id.

Most of those still exist, although the original creators have long since passed on. Any last bit of humor was wrung out of them decades ago, they're generally pretty awful now.

But there is still some fun to be had in mocking them, and The Comics Curmudgeon is the place to do that.

Reactions: Woodpecker
Pogo-50 years ago he fortold what is happening to our country at this moment when he said “We have met the enemy,and they is us”

Reactions: furfoot
Prince Valiant, Terry & the Pirates, Hagar the Horrible, Cathy, Dilbert, Doonesbury. Maybe some of these are still published, but I haven't read a newspaper in years.

Terry and the Pirates and Steve Canyon were written/drawn by the same person, Milton Caniff. He went to tOSU, and there was a large mural of his work in the old Student Union. I am not sure if it was preserved fro the new one, as I've not been there in a few decades (most of the campus area on High St looks nothing like it did when I was in grad school there 40 years ago). The fun part when I got there was that I recall reading about the characters in Steve Canyon who went to "Maumee" college whose arch rivals were Scioto State and Olentangy Tech and realizing that all of the names were Ohio rivers (the latter two being in Columbus). Maumee was actually based on Caniff's recollections of tOSU.
ghows_image-OH-d5466afe-d928-4ec4-b6d0-b29758f5ebac.jpeg

Terry and the Pirates and Steve Canyon were written/drawn by the same person, Milton Caniff. He went to tOSU, and there was a large mural of his work in the old Student Union. I am not sure if it was preserved fro the new one, as I've not been there in a few decades (most of the campus area on High St looks nothing like it did when I was in grad school there 40 years ago). The fun part when I got there was that I recall reading about the characters in Steve Canyon who went to "Maumee" college whose arch rivals were Scioto State and Olentangy Tech and realizing that all of the names were Ohio rivers (the latter two being in Columbus). Maumee was actually based on Caniff's recollections of tOSU.
ghows_image-OH-d5466afe-d928-4ec4-b6d0-b29758f5ebac.jpeg
No wonder I never liked it!😉

FMIsayJVgAEBiQo

For a bit of mind twist check out garfieldminusgarfield.net Basic premise is that Garfield is figment of Jon's imagination

From their site: Garfield minus Garfield is a site dedicated to removing Garfield from the Garfield comic strips in order to reveal the existential angst of a certain young Mr. Jon Arbuckle. It is a journey deep into the mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb.

Who remembers the Sunday Funny Papers and the great characters?
Lil Abner
Dick Tracy
Iodine
Steve Canyon
The Phantom
So many others!!
Big Sister. Nancy. Nubbin Stubble. Jeff Cobb. Tarzan. Mark Trail. Brenda Starr.

I feel so sorry for you. How can you live without mallard fillmore.
Well, since Al Gore invented the internet, i can still find Mallard Fillmore. Actually, wanted to thank posters for these excellent memories. Which leads to another discussion, bad movies you love to watch. Of course, Road House, tops the list, not too far behind is the Phantom, Billy Zane and Kristy Swanson, I think,

I always enjoyed the serials. Mandrake, Prince Valiant, Tarzan, The Phantom. The Reading Eagle had a huge comic section, but not so much anymore.

The greatest April Dools prank ever was actually on Halloween, 1938!

My dad, who grew up in North Joisey, used to tell stories about listening to it as it happened (but he also heard the disclaimers, so he wasn't fooled).

Good night to revive a thread on comics......

I buy the Sunday Trib every week. Takes all week to read through it but doing so I end up reading about a lot issues I normally wouldn’t hear about. And they have a pretty good selection of comics.

A few classics like Beetle Bailey, Blondie, Garfield, Hi and Lois, Family Circle, Wizard of Id, Born Loser, Hagar the Horrible.

Pearls Before Swine has a good style of attacking the absurdity of modern politics and society without taking sides. Others like Foxtrot, Baby Blues, Get Fuzzy, Big Nate, Rhymes with Orange are all good.

Bizzarro World has had some knee slippers. One was two praying mantises sitting at a bar, a third one walks in with no head. First one says to his buddy...”Looks like someone got lucky last night!” Would love to have a t-shirt with that one!

Two Hagar the Horrible strips made an impression on me I never forgot them with a basis in truth in both.

The first Hagar sits down at the table and his wife gives him a bowl of oatmeal. Hagar said, "There’s a fly in my oatmeal." His wife counters, "It's a raisin," and back and forth they argue. Then, the fly flies out of the oatmeal.

Hagar said, "Aha! Now will you admit that I am right and you are wrong?" To which his wife replied, "I'll be darned. A flying raisin."

The other - Hagar tells Eddie, "No matter how terrible today is, tomorrow could be worse."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT