ADVERTISEMENT

Sugar on Bader show

a_mshaffer

Dec 8, 2014
Interesting conversation. Seems ashamed he isn't part of the NLWC but I don't know all the reasoning..

I assume that NLWC has, despite what people say, limited funds, and those funds are reserved for people with higher level credentials.

Not to say that Shak isn't a high level wrestler, but man, the NLWC has legit world-level guys at every weight class other than 125kg at this point. And Kerk is going to be there, soon.

It sounds like the PSU/NLWC club is being pretty damn diligent about making sure that athletes stick stay healthy. Good on them.

Also, I haven't heard a LI accent like that in a while. Not much of that out here in CO.

I assume that NLWC has, despite what people say, limited funds, and those funds are reserved for people with higher level credentials.

Not to say that Shak isn't a high level wrestler, but man, the NLWC has legit world-level guys at every weight class other than 125kg at this point. And Kerk is going to be there, soon.

It sounds like the PSU/NLWC club is being pretty damn diligent about making sure that athletes stick stay healthy. Good on them.

Also, I haven't heard a LI accent like that in a while. Not much of that out here in CO.
I think the goals of the NLWC is to put people on podiums on the world stage and I love Shak, especially since I am a Long Islander and a PSU alum, but at this point he doesn't seem like he is going to have that type of future in senior level wrestling.

I'm not sure we've ever seen the best of Shak. Remember, he beat Cassar and was ranked #2 before his last injury. He's had some injuries that have stymied his growth and have eroded his confidence. He's extraordinarily quick and if he gets his confidence back I think he can do some damage at the Senior level.

I'm not sure we've ever seen the best of Shak. Remember, he beat Cassar and was ranked #2 before his last injury. He's had some injuries that have stymied his growth and have eroded his confidence. He's extraordinarily quick and if he gets his confidence back I think he can do some damage at the Senior level.
I don't disagree but there seems to be some style match-ups that are not good for him... Moore comes to mind

Reactions: IndianaNittanyLion
This might be true -- but he's an 86 kg. Does he displace World Champ David Taylor? Probably not. Bo or Martin? He'd be a clear underdog. Etc.

That's not a knock -- Senior level is just that much of a step up from college.

We'd need to see more of him in freestyle, to see where he fits among that group. If the 195-lb bracket were a round robin, maybe he's 3rd behind Martin and Dean? Or maybe he ends up 6th? Hard to say without seeing more of him.

And I hope we do get to see more of him.

ADVERTISEMENT