ADVERTISEMENT

Stupid question of the day coming

TiredOldLion

Dec 16, 2013
Why is it called head gear in wrestling? It seems to only protect the wrestler’s ears. Or am I missing more?
And with hand slaps outlawed, are they still needed at higher levels?
TIA.

Better tell Zain that head slaps have been outlawed. He was in a few boxing matches this past season. As for headgear and cauliflower ear, slaps have little to do with it. Try having your ear hit by someone's skull a few times and see what the cartilage feels like.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Safety "gear" is commonly used in industry, gear meaning equipment...or short for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). Just guessing, it's safety gear for the head, a la "head gear". Ear gear, as pawrest says, sounds dumb, as does head equipment :).

I for one think it should be mandatory at all levels and worn at all times (practice and competition).

Reactions: midniteride
I remember that during one of the away matches last year the student commentator said that one wrestlers "helmet" was coming off.

Does headgear come with instructions?

AdamCoonVegas300x375.png

When I wrestled in my youth in Minnesota (ages 9-15), we called it a headset.

I took many years off from following wrestling (1980-1992), and somewhere in that time in Minnesota it became known as, "headgear."

When I wrestled in my youth in Minnesota (ages 9-15), we called it a headset.

I took many years off from following wrestling (1980-1992), and somewhere in that time in Minnesota it became known as, "headgear."

Always head gear for as long as I can remember in PA. Started wrestling in the mid 60’s.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT