Student loan outrage at only $10K being cancelled

SheldonJoe2215

Oct 3, 2015
Portland, OR

As Biden administration leans toward $10,000 in student loan forgiveness, advocates push back​

CNBC

Among the many questions...

What happens to students entering school this year, next year, etc.? Do they get $10K cancelled too? If not, why should someone who has already taken out a recent loan receive forgiveness, but someody just entering the system does not? Aren't they also facing the same economic harships?

SheldonJoe2215

Oct 3, 2015
Portland, OR
Why stop at student loans? How about anybody who went to college and paid their own way?
And you know that schools are just going to jack up prices even more if the government starts forgiving some or all of the loans. How much of today's overpriced tuition and fees is due to the government shoveling money via students right back to the schools?

bdgan

May 29, 2008

As Biden administration leans toward $10,000 in student loan forgiveness, advocates push back​

CNBC

What happens to students entering school this year, next year, etc.? Do they get $10K cancelled too? If not, why should someone who has already taken out a recent loan receive forgiveness, but someody just entering the system does not? Aren't they also facing the same economic harships?

Where are the board libs on this?

Come on libs, tell us why you support this.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
This is the perfect decision by democrats to pi$$ everyone off.

- only $10k? I have $200k and democrats promised to erase it. I've been holding off on paying it waiting for relief and this is what you give me?

- um, I'm starting college next year but my step brother already did. Where is my student debt relief democrats? This is BS!

- very nice, I worked my @$$ off for the last 15 years to finally get paid back. Where is my relief democrats? Now my tax dollars are paying for more student loans, just not mine anymore. So much for doing the right thing.

- hold on here, so I signed up to serve my country partly as a solution to pay for college, risked my @$$ in Iraq, then was injured by an IED blast in Afghanistan and now you are sending my tax dollars to someone who chose to rack up loans instead. WTF democrats?

- wait so these ridiculous mother *$&*=^#$ making over $100k are getting my tax dollars because I didn't get to go to college and had to start working right away to support my family? You've got to be kidding me Democrats? Thought you were for the lower wage employee? Now I'm supporting those who make over $100k? I'm done.

- ok, so we were responsible and put away $400k for our 2 kids in a 529 plan which they used and worked to pay for college. Now my kids are getting penalized by democrats for their parents being responsible and them working while going to college by having to pay for others who weren't responsible?

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
This is the perfect decision by democrats to pi$$ everyone off.

- only $10k? I have $200k and democrats promised to erase it. I've been holding off on paying it waiting for relief and this is what you give me?

- um, I'm starting college next year but my step brother already did. Where is my student debt relief democrats? This is BS!

- very nice, I worked my @$$ off for the last 15 years to finally get paid back. Where is my relief democrats? Now my tax dollars are paying for more student loans, just not mine anymore. So much for doing the right thing.

- hold on here, so I signed up to serve my country partly as a solution to pay for college, risked my @$$ in Iraq, then was injured by an IED blast in Afghanistan and now you are sending my tax dollars to someone who chose to rack up loans instead. WTF democrats?

- wait so these ridiculous mother *$&*=^#$ making over $100k are getting my tax dollars because I didn't get to go to college and had to start working right away to support my family? You've got to be kidding me Democrats? Thought you were for the lower wage employee? Now I'm supporting those who make over $100k? I'm done.

- ok, so we were responsible and put away $400k for our 2 kids in a 529 plan which they used and worked to pay for college. Now my kids are getting penalized by democrats for their parents being responsible and them working while going to college by having to pay for others who weren't responsible?

Excellent post. Just more examples of Democrat manipulation using government while being completely ignorant of the consequences.

This shows why government needs to be kept small and to a very specific role -- to protect the nation, its borders, and free/fair commerce. It isn't there to influence markets and behavior. It isn't there to redistribute wealth.

Fayette_LION

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2004

CNBC

I hope a legislature has enough nuts to file suite against the Exec Branch. They have no right to forgive loans. The Congress tells what money is to be spent on. Forgiving a loan is the same as spending money that taxpayers gave. Someone needs to challenge this renegade president.

SR108

Jan 13, 2004
I hope a legislature has enough nuts to file suite against the Exec Branch. They have no right to forgive loans. The Congress tells what money is to be spent on. Forgiving a loan is the same as spending money that taxpayers gave. Someone needs to challenge this renegade president.
Exactly right, When did we become a dictatorship?

Darth_VadEER

Dec 14, 2010
It's pointless to cancel debt if the core problem (high tuition prices) isn't addressed. Are we just going to do this every decade?

Reactions: NC.Lion

Nbergbuck

Mar 31, 2004

CNBC

I put 2 kids thru college. I told them at the start, keep grades up and major in something that leads to a career. Do not major in BS. Both are doing fine in their fields with no debt. Will I be getting a check for 20K?

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
It's pointless to cancel debt if the core problem (high tuition prices) isn't addressed. Are we just going to do this every decade?

Yes, since higher education is dominated by liberals, there will never be any pressure on them to lower tuitions.

NC.Lion

Jan 11, 2021
What is it with both parties wanting to shoot each other in the foot when they are gaining momentum. Republicans had momentum before some states went crazy on strict abortion laws and frankly this is not a good decision for democrats. The far left doesn’t think this is enough and you have some middle class working class democrats wondering why they have to pay for peoples college loans and others who actually worked hard to pay off loans that do not agree with this. All this right after they signed legitimate bills for their party.

Politicians are so dumb. At least this gives republicans something else to run on now.

Reactions: DandyDonII

SheldonJoe2215

Oct 3, 2015
Portland, OR
What is it with both parties wanting to shoot each other in the foot when they are gaining momentum. Republicans had momentum before some states went crazy on strict abortion laws and frankly this is not a good decision for democrats. The far left doesn’t think this is enough and you have some middle class working class democrats wondering why they have to pay for peoples college loans and others who actually worked hard to pay off loans that do not agree with this. All this right after they signed legitimate bills for their party.

Politicians are so dumb. At least this gives republicans something else to run on now.
The funny part is that supporting student loang forgiveness doesn't really help Joe with the younger voters at this point. If he makes the change, the young folks feel like they don't have to vote because they got what they wanted with the forgiveness. If Biden doesn't make the change, the younger voters won't trust him for not doing anything after two years and won't bother to vote.

NC.Lion

Jan 11, 2021
The funny part is that supporting student loang forgiveness doesn't really help Joe with the younger voters at this point. If he makes the change, the young folks feel like they don't have to vote because they got what they wanted with the forgiveness. If Biden doesn't make the change, the younger voters won't trust him for not doing anything after two years and won't bother to vote.
Well a lot of them wanted 50k so this will not be sufficient for them. Many are already complaining. This causes more harm than good for him, and like I said a point republicans can now bring up in debates since most people are against it.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Well a lot of them wanted 50k so this will not be sufficient for them. Many are already complaining. This causes more harm than good for him, and like I said a point republicans can now bring up in debates since most people are against it.
I read that forgiving $10k would cost the government $300 billion. That's on top of the $30 billion already forgiven and the $100 billion in lost interest income.

Yet Biden says he's cutting the deficit and the lemmings believe him.

junior1

May 29, 2001
I read that forgiving $10k would cost the government $300 billion. That's on top of the $30 billion already forgiven and the $100 billion in lost interest income.

Yet Biden says he's cutting the deficit and the lemmings believe him.
remember, when the federal government took over the student loan program, the government was going to make $100billion. We can chalk this one up alongside the $2500 savings on healthcare. Wasn't Biden part of the administration that came up with this plan?

Reactions: bdgan

DandyDonII

Oct 16, 2002

I was thinking the same thing.

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I was thinking the same thing.
Regarding strict abortion laws.... I think most of those states already had those laws on the books. They were overridden by Roe then automatically kicked back in when Roe was repealed. I hope that over time some of those states will moderate their laws.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like the idea of abortion. There should be very few unwanted pregnancies with birth control widely available. But as much as I dislike abortion I realize a lot of people disagree. So if we allow abortions why not limit them to the first 13 weeks? How do you justify late term abortions? My point is that maybe some no abortion states will moderate their position over time.

bdgan

May 29, 2008

CNBC

Joe's dad told him all the folks need is a little bit of breathing room. I assume he was whispering.