ADVERTISEMENT

Stoll MIA vs Lehigh

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
So a week ago vs an unranked opponent, Stoll dramatically defies his coach to take the mat in a Herculean act of heroism about which epic poems will be written for ages.
After another week of healing, vs a highly ranked foe, Stoll, paging Sam Stoll? Crickets.

So a week ago vs an unranked opponent, Stoll dramatically defies his coach to take the mat in a Herculean act of heroism about which epic poems will be written for ages.
After another week of healing, vs a highly ranked foe, Stoll, paging Sam Stoll? Crickets.

In TNT they trust. Their home schedule sucks as it is and then the fans miss out on a top 10 matchup.

But at least they are edging closer to the vacant-seat record. Last night they upped their total to 7,966. Go Hawks!!

But at least they are edging closer to the vacant-seat record. Last night they upped their total to 7,966. Go Hawks!!

Hey, it’s still better than Penn State’s run from 1999-2007 when you guys averaged less than 50% capacity and set a record with 25% (1,641) average capacity in 2001. ;)

Jmo, but though I don't know if it was a duck or not, it is at least plausible to me that he wasn't going to go against ISU, but in the heat of the moment, talked them into it.

We don't have a comparable rivalry. Used to date a girl from ISU and rest of her family were all Hawks, so I have an idea of how crazy it is. Doesn't matter that Isu hasn't been good lately.

I know similar things have happened in the past, but just saying ISU was not your average match for them (and don't think most of us can relate well), so I have an open mind toward this one. FWIW. :)

Hopefully doesn't happen again.

Sucks so bad it forced me into another manifesto seperate thread. Yet one more painful unintended consequence of that less than sportsman like behavior.

New merchandise.
images

The argument that he was "not ready" last week but heroically wrestled anyway is complete BS. He wrestled, therefore he was good enough to go. That doesn't mean he was 100%, just good enough to wrestle and in a position where wrestling would not make the injury worse. To then turn around and say he was not good enough to go a week later is ludicrous.

Reactions: Hotshoe and danoftw
We all know it was a damn duck...on every level. Iowa fans will defend and state articulated responses that may have you questioning it but bottom line...it was a duck, regardless of who’s decision it was.

We all know it was a damn duck...on every level. Iowa fans will defend and state articulated responses that may have you questioning it but bottom line...it was a duck, regardless of who’s decision it was.
Every Penn state thinks it was a duck including Willie Saylor. We get it

The denial has become laughable. TnT will duck anytime, anywhere and Iowa fans will say they are not ducking.
Look at from Sam Stolls point of view. Think about his knee/opponents and the meanings of the 2 duals. Iowa likely loses to ISU for the first time in 15 years if Stoll didn't wrestle. The lehigh dual was over. Let his knee survive another day. Lehigh had what 5 starters out? Nobody gives a flying duck why they didn't wrestle.

Could some contracts pay bonuses for dual wins, or going through duals undefeated? Just curious. We do see bits about CFB contracts here and there...

Look at from Sam Stolls point of view. Think about his knee/opponents and the meanings of the 2 duals. Iowa likely loses to ISU for the first time in 15 years if Stoll didn't wrestle. The lehigh dual was over. Let his knee survive another day. Lehigh had what 5 starters out? Nobody gives a flying duck why they didn't wrestle.

I get it. It's worth the risk of permanently crippling Stoll to win a dual against ISU. And it's just coincidental that the risk of Stoll losing was significantly higher against Wood. :rolleyes:

Could some contracts pay bonuses for dual wins, or going through duals undefeated? Just curious. We do see bits about CFB contracts here and there...

That would have changed nothing the past two weekends.

Brands has behaved like a coach who wants to win regular season duals.

Last week, with the outcome in the balance, he let his dinged up athlete go out to compete.

This week, with the dual locked up, he kept his dinged up athlete off the mat to give him another week to heal before Midlands.

That is a rational decision and probably in the best interest of his athlete and his program.

All due respect to the PSU fans complaining about this, but if I were Brands, I would tell you to stick your “ducking” claims up your a$$.

That would have changed nothing the past two weekends.

Brands has behaved like a coach who wants to win regular season duals.

Last week, with the outcome in the balance, he let his dinged up athlete go out to compete.

This week, with the dual locked up, he kept his dinged up athlete off the mat to give him another week to heal before Midlands.

That is a rational decision and probably in the best interest of his athlete and his program.

All due respect to the PSU fans complaining about this, but if I were Brands, I would tell you to stick your “ducking” claims up your a$$.

I really have little issue with a coach or a kid sitting out a match whether it be for health, injury, sickness, ducking,... There are both valid and nefarious reasons why kids are missing more and more 'big' matches, and coaches should be able to weight the impact and decide.

What I have issue with is there being no (zero) consequences. Total BS!

Reactions: Ja1339
Hey, it’s still better than Penn State’s run from 1999-2007 when you guys averaged less than 50% capacity and set a record with 25% (1,641) average capacity in 2001. ;)
Those living in the past is just sad. Remember wrestling wasn’t invented till 2009

Reactions: danoftw
Those living in the past is just sad. Remember wrestling wasn’t invented till 2009

Those mocking Iowa’s attendance is just sad when every dual they have hosted so far this season are the biggest attendance numbers of any school. I get it, it’s fun to make fun of Iowa and their empty seats but history hasn’t always shown that Penn State fans have been faithful and avid attendees of wrestling meets.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Those mocking Iowa’s attendance is just sad when every dual they have hosted so far this season are the biggest attendance numbers of any school. I get it, it’s fun to make fun of Iowa and their empty seats but history hasn’t always shown that Penn State fans have been faithful and avid attendees of wrestling meets.

Why do you care so much about this? You must really be sensitive to the declining interest in Iowa wrestling. I guess iowa fans are just as bandwagon as any other fan bases. Just accept it and move on.

Yeah yeah Iowa fans are better and more loyal yada yada
Why do you care so much about this? You must really be sensitive to the declining interest in Iowa wrestling. I guess iowa fans are just as bandwagon as any other fan bases. Just accept it and move on.

But but historically...

There is no declining interest, as proven by your posts and everybody on here obsessed with Iowa wrestling. You have longer threads devoted to Iowa meets than your own team.

Reactions: WildTurk
There is no declining interest, as proven by your posts and everybody on here obsessed with Iowa wrestling. You have longer threads devoted to Iowa meets than your own team.

No, I was interested in what happened to Stoll.

Let's see what the attendance is at the PSU v. Michigan duel in the BJC on February 1 (despite its being broadcast on the BTN) and compare it to whatever Iowa's biggest home crowd this season turns out to be. We'll count empty seats and then talk.

Let's see what the attendance is at the PSU v. Michigan duel in the BJC on February 1 (despite its being broadcast on the BTN) and compare it to whatever Iowa's biggest home crowd this season turns out to be. We'll count empty seats and then talk.

Duels are illegal.

Reactions: pawrest01

And Penn State has 100% sellouts so far and Bucknell had it's highest attendance ever when Penn State visited. Lehigh, OK State and Ohio State are among the many schools setting home attendance records over the past few years when Penn State came to town.

Do we have to point out what Iowa attendance was like before they started winning championships in the 1970s AGAIN?

And Penn State has 100% sellouts so far and Bucknell had it's highest attendance ever when Penn State visited. Lehigh, OK State and Ohio State are among the many schools setting home attendance records over the past few years when Penn State came to town.

Do we have to point out what Iowa attendance was like before they started winning championships in the 1970s AGAIN?

I know all about it, you’re the new Iowa. It’s not really a secret. Penn State fans today are pretty much like Iowa fans of that era, complete with bravado, calls for stalling and all the new fans that come with winning.

I know all about it, you’re the new Iowa. It’s not really a secret. Penn State fans today are pretty much like Iowa fans of that era, complete with bravado, calls for stalling and all the new fans that come with winning.

One of the things I like about matches at Rec Hall is when some clown yells out "stalling", he gets ridiculed by all the people around me and it's rare to hear others joining in. And you don't see the coaching staff standing up and egging on those jokers, unlike the staffs at some other programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
Yes and we want the acknowledgment from Iowa fans that we have the greatest staff and athletes. (Picture crazy dude with beer in hand with other hand thumping his chest).

Hopefully this doesn't go full circle where the fans screaming for stalling permeates the actual wrestling and the program morphs from superior wrestling to hand fighting, solid positioning and waiting on the stall call.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT