Steve Martin/Martin Short

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
So last night we went to see these guys at Wolf Trap, with the added bonus that they were accompanied by Paul Schaeffer and Steep Canyon Rangers. A truly great show, and what a pleasure to see two pros who didn't need to resort to the lazy comedy of either politics or rank vulgarity. And SCR were really awesome.

Previously, I'd always been a little lukewarm about Short's sometime over-the-top style, but having seem him do a show, I will confess my error - in fact, what he is is fearless, which is perhaps the ultimate asset for a comedian. Martin, of course, was Martin -- a genius at so many levels of sophistication, timing, quality, etc. My favorite line of his was when he was explaining how he decided to actually start performing on banjo in a professional sense for audiences: "So I decided that I should go to watch how other musical performers do it. So I went to see Eric Clapton. And let me just say -- he wasn't that funny."

maypole

May 9, 2022
So last night we went to see these guys at Wolf Trap, with the added bonus that they were accompanied by Paul Schaeffer and Steep Canyon Rangers. A truly great show, and what a pleasure to see two pros who didn't need to resort to the lazy comedy of either politics or rank vulgarity. And SCR were really awesome.

Previously, I'd always been a little lukewarm about Short's sometime over-the-top style, but having seem him do a show, I will confess my error - in fact, what he is is fearless, which is perhaps the ultimate asset for a comedian. Martin, of course, was Martin -- a genius at so many levels of sophistication, timing, quality, etc. My favorite line of his was when he was explaining how he decided to actually start performing on banjo in a professional sense for audiences: "So I decided that I should go to watch how other musical performers do it. So I went to see Eric Clapton. And let me just say -- he wasn't that funny."
Martin Short is underrated
<https://www.ranker.com/list/quotes-...o,seemingly endless enthusiasm for performing.>

Jason1743

Jan 23, 2006
I’ve seen Martin and Short twice in the last few years. They are great entertainers and great friends.

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Steve Martin: "I' like to think I'm a charitable kind of guy. I work with unwed mothers. I help them get their start."