ADVERTISEMENT

STEP

baccafarmer

Aug 20, 2018
Brumley Gap, VA
Anyone else hearing that STEP (the donation - seat retention linkage program they implemented for football about 8-10 years ago) is coming to Wrestling? I’m hearing that BOT voted on it recently.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
giphy.gif

If they do it will give me a good reason to stay home. Between Flo, Rofkin, and BTN+ you can get everything you need.

Reactions: Ja1339
I never heard of STEP and don't know what it might stand for. Also I didn't know there wasn't already a mandatory Levi Lamb fund donation associated with each wrestling season ticket like there is for football and men's hockey. If it becomes something new and works similarly, then depending on how much someone already donates to Levi Lamb Fund, it may not result in any difference.

Anyone else hearing that STEP (the donation - seat retention linkage program they implemented for football about 8-10 years ago) is coming to Wrestling? I’m hearing that BOT voted on it recently.

Maybe the person who told you this could find it in the BOT minutes?

Because the BOT meets monthly and athletics was not on the agenda for either Dec 2021 or Jan 2022.

If they ever do this with wrestling, it'll be a huge mistake.
You know what it will do? It will force out a lot of local/semi-local long time season ticket holders that are not in a position to make $1,000 "charitable" donations. They will be replaced by more affluent alumni that are more than willing to make those "donations". If that is the BOT's goal, it won't be a mistake in their eyes.
It would be a mistake in my eyes. And frankly as a long time waiting list guy, it would benefit me. But I think Rec Hall gets its heart and soul from those existing ticket holders.

You know what it will do? It will force out a lot of local/semi-local long time season ticket holders that are not in a position to make $1,000 "charitable" donations. They will be replaced by more affluent alumni that are more than willing to make those "donations". If that is the BOT's goal, it won't be a mistake in their eyes.
It would be a mistake in my eyes. And frankly as a long time waiting list guy, it would benefit me. But I think Rec Hall gets its heart and soul from those existing ticket holders.
Gotta pay for TPG.

a position to make $1,000 "charitable" donations
There's no mandatory $1000 donation for football. For football '22, the donation ranges from $0 to $700 per football season ticket (excluding Mt Nittany Club of $2000). There are fewer tickets in the extreme range.

For men's hockey it was $50 per season ticket. Given the similarity in venue size between Rec Hall and Pegula, I would expect the Levi Lamb Fund donation for wrestling season tickets, if it ever materializes, to be more similar to hockey than football.

Reactions: nitlion6
I think this is a bit of "the sky is falling." Supporters will support. Charitable contributions can be budgeted and reallocated like anything else. I don't see $50 per ticket per year being something a supporter on a fixed income can't manage.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
There's no mandatory $1000 donation for football. For football '22, the donation ranges from $0 to $700 per football season ticket (excluding Mt Nittany Club of $2000). There are fewer tickets in the extreme range.

For men's hockey it was $50 per season ticket. Given the similarity in venue size between Rec Hall and Pegula, I would expect the Levi Lamb Fund donation for wrestling season tickets, if it ever materializes, to be more similar to hockey than football.
I was viewing it as a 4 ticket deal. Kind of like a day at the ballpark for a small family.
That said, your guess is probably more accurate. My football tickets carry just under a $500 contribution per seat.

Figured I'd put this here then: alb409 and harrimsa (insiders on 247) posted some positive news about NIL, it seems like things are going smoother (I get the sense that they're implying it's helping recruiting and who knows, maybe it can entice RBY back) and the New President will be "for the athletes"

I was viewing it as a 4 ticket deal. Kind of like a day at the ballpark for a small family.
That said, your guess is probably more accurate. My football tickets carry just under a $500 contribution per seat.
So one with a small family might be looking at another $200 for 4 wrestling season tickets. I suppose it's something to allocate allowances towards.

I think more interesting is the development to analyze ticket resales to preclude original purchases from ticket brokers (aka scalpers). They've done it for football. Now that all sports have move to etickets, I expect they will do the same for men's hockey and wrestling.

I think we might be focusing on the wrong thing here. Yes, there is a "seat fee" and that seems to be what is under discussion. What I haven't seen is the fact that in football and hockey there is a "seat fee" but the seats are distributed based on NLC points. If you haven't been contributing to NLC over the years, we may find that long time ticket holders who are willing to pay the "seat fees" don't have enough NLC points to retain their seats. It depends on how many people who have been paying for years in football want to get into the wrestling scene.

I think it would be a huge mistake to go in this direction, but if they are duplicating the football and hockey process, we may be seeing this approach.

there is a "seat fee" but the seats are distributed based on NLC points
Misinformation.

As long as one renews and pays the new season's Levi Lamb donation per season ticket for a sport, then their season ticket is not released to the pool where Nittany Lion Club points come into play.

Season ticket holders were grandfathered in for football. I expect the same would hold for wrestling.

Now when it comes the wait list or upgrading seats, higher NLC points are beneficial.

Reactions: hlstone
True. I would certainly hope they use "grandfathering" here. I would also think that Cael would have a huge influence on how this is done and would do all he can to protect long time ticket holders.

Misinformation.

As long as one renews and pays the new season's Levi Lamb donation per season ticket for a sport, then their season ticket is not released to the pool where Nittany Lion Club points come into play.

Season ticket holders were grandfathered in for football. I expect the same would hold for wrestling.

Now when it comes the wait list or upgrading seats, higher NLC points are beneficial.
Abd that has also been true since there has been a waiting list. Anyone who joined the waiting list jumped ahead of anyone already on the list that they had more NLC point than, so this is not really much of a change. And all that assumes this is even true since as el jefe pointed out there is no mention of it in the last 2 BOD meeting minutes.

Damn. Son, you on the 50!

Myke

Ok, gotta ask. What’s the Levi Lamb donation you speak of?

Iowa started a seat bounty at Kinnick in like 2008. I considered moving to the new outdoor club seating, but after doing the math, I increased my season tickets from 2-4. Paid the seat bounty where I was and still came out ahead. Gave them up, after 24 years, when I moved to Texas. Sure miss Saturday’s! Still get back at least once a year!

Z

Ok, gotta ask. What’s the Levi Lamb donation you speak of?

Z
Straight from the NLC website...

Levi Lamb Fund (Annual Fund) - This fund supports Penn State's 31 varsity teams. Donations allocated to the Levi Lamb fund directly support grant-in-aid-scholarships, academic, medical, and operational support for our 850 plus student-athletes.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT