ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers locked up BIG Ben today. I love it

CappyToCJF

Jun 13, 2014
I would not trade him for any other QB in the league. Big and durable playmaker who will now benefit from an improving oline. Not many QB's would still be playing after absorbing the pounding he did in the years his oline was in shambles....

and some think he should have been locked up in Milledgeville

3dgrin.r191677.gif

Hopefully that was just hyperbole. If you wouldn't trade him straight up for Aaron Rodgers you are a fool. I would also rather have Brady, Brees, Wilson, Manning, Romo and Rivers. Mostly because if the goal is to win a Super Bowl next year they are all better than Ben. Look up Ben's career numbers when he is forced to throw 30+ times a game. He has a losing record. He is a solid quarterback who when surrounded by a great defense and a great running game is clutch enough to makes plays when necessary. Twenty years from now no one will even include him in a conversation of the greatest QBs of all time.

Many of those QB's you mentioned would never have made it through a full season in many of the years Big Ben has played QB for the Steelers, particularly the past 5 seasons or so as their OLine became one of the weaker units in the NFL. Bottom line is Ben is one of the toughest QB's in the NFL, one of the hardest to sack, one of the more elusive in the pocket and can extend plays as well as any by buying time with his size and prowess around the pocket. Not saying all those QB's you've listed aren't great QB's, but again most of them would never have survived in the Steelers system the past 5 years. And Big Ben does have 2 Super Bowl rings and has been to another Super Bowl in which they had a shot until very late.

Re: Romo and Rivers?

Originally posted by Ephrata Lion:
How many Super Bowls have they won?
Doesn't matter, he's talking about winning one next year. Personally I'd take Ben over Rivers but honestly with the way each has played over the last couple of years, if I'm trying to win next year, I'll take Romo over Ben

Are you drunk or on drugs?

Of that group only Rodgers, Brady and Manning deserve to be ranked above Ben; if you're looking at Super Bowl wins then he only trailes Brady and would have had a 3rd title had Mendenhall not gotten butter fingers against the Packers. Rodgers, Manning, Brees and Wilson each have 1 SB victory on their resume and out of that group only Rodgers and Wilson appear to have a chance to win another one; Rodgers on talent and Wilson on system (he came through on that last throw against New England didn't he!). Romo and Rivers have never won a title and can only hope to sniff Bens jock as that's the closest they'll ever get to winning a Super Bowl and unless Beast Mode/ Seattle defense carry the Seahawks to another title Wilson will never win another one as he can't carry a team to a Super Bowl victory; they wouldn't have made it this year had not Green Bay screwed up that onside kick. At this point in time the only QB's I would trade straight up for Ben would be Brady and Rodgers ad the rest of that bunch wouldn't have held up to the beating Ben has taken behind his crappy offensive lines! Can you honestly say Manning, Brees, Wilson, Rivers and Romo could take the beatings Ben has taken and still bounce back and be as productive as he has? Brady has more SB wins then Ben, and both Rodgers and Wilson have the potential to tie or surpass him but Ben's not done yet and might get another one before his career is done; I respect your opinion but respectfully disagree as Ben will go down in NFL history as a multiple Super Bowl winning QB which in and of itself is a select group-that select fraternity consists of Brady, Bradshaw and Montana with 4 each, Aikman with 3 and Elway, Staubach, Griese, Starr, Plunkett and Manning (Eli-not Peyton) with 2 each which is a pretty elite group to belong with!

This post was edited on 3/13 9:19 PM by psu 83

Originally posted by SUPERTODD:
Hopefully that was just hyperbole. If you wouldn't trade him straight up for Aaron Rodgers you are a fool. I would also rather have Brady, Brees, Wilson, Manning, Romo and Rivers. Mostly because if the goal is to win a Super Bowl next year they are all better than Ben. Look up Ben's career numbers when he is forced to throw 30+ times a game. He has a losing record. He is a solid quarterback who when surrounded by a great defense and a great running game is clutch enough to makes plays when necessary. Twenty years from now no one will even include him in a conversation of the greatest QBs of all time.
roll.r191677.gif

Romo can't be counted on to win in crunch time as he fold like an

accordian when push comes to shove and he has to carry a team on his own. Granted he has great receivers in Bryant and Written, arguably the best o-line in the NFL and is tough as nails but he's not in the same stratosphere as Ben!

This post was edited on 3/13 9:15 PM by psu 83

This post was edited on 3/13 9:16 PM by psu 83

Re: Are you drunk or on drugs?

Originally posted by psu 83:
Of that group only Rodgers, Brady and Manning deserve to be ranked above Ben; if you're looking at Super Bowl wins then he only trailes Brady and would have had a 3rd title had Mendenhall not gotten butter fingers against the Packers. Rodgers, Manning, Brees and Wilson each have 1 SB victory on their resume and out of that group only Rodgers and Wilson appear to have a chance to win another one; Rodgers on talent and Wilson on system (he came through on that last throw against New England didn't he!). Romo and Rivers have never won a title and can only hope to sniff Bens jock as that's the closest they'll ever get to winning a Super Bowl and unless Beast Mode/ Seattle defense carry the Seahawks to another title Wilson will never win another one as he can't carry a team to a Super Bowl victory; they wouldn't have made it this year had not Green Bay screwed up that onside kick. At this point in time the only QB's I would trade straight up for Ben would be Brady and Rodgers ad the rest of that bunch wouldn't have held up to the beating Ben has taken behind his crappy offensive lines! Can you honestly say Manning, Brees, Wilson, Rivers and Romo could take the beatings Ben has taken and still bounce back and be as productive as he has? Brady has more SB wins then Ben, and both Rodgers and Wilson have the potential to tie or surpass him but Ben's not done yet and might get another one before his career is done; I respect your opinion but respectfully disagree as Ben will go down in NFL history as a multiple Super Bowl winning QB which in and of itself is a select group-that select fraternity consists of Brady, Bradshaw and Montana with 4 each, Aikman with 3 and Elway, Staubach, Griese, Starr, Plunkett and Manning (Eli-not Peyton) which is a pretty elite group to belong with!
+1. I have no idea what SuperTodd was smoking but it must be well super because there can only be one explanation for that post. Frankly I'm not even taking Manning over Ben. If Manning had Ben's O-line the last few years Peyton would have been in a wheel chair. And as for Romo has he won a playoff game yet ok maybe all of 1. idiot.

I only include Peyton on that list because of his body of work but agree

he would have retired long ago had he played behind the offensive lines Ben has had to endure!

Re: I only include Peyton on that list because of his body of work but agree

Originally posted by psu 83:
he would have retired long ago had he played behind the offensive lines Ben has had to endure!
and Romo's back would have been broken much worse than it was.
As far as Rivers goes. Please, thats just insanity and a fantasy league goober talk.

Exactly. Opinions vary. I wouldn't trade him for any of those QB's...

many QB's are a product of their systems, coaching, the talent surrounding them. Ben has excelled with mediocre talent, and sometimes less than average talent (and sometimes bottom NFL talent such as the OL a couple years ago). Commenting that he lived off the defense is about as stupid a comment as I've heard yet. His first SB win was a product of the defense dominating, and that was his ROOKIE YEAR. Did any of those other QB's win the SUPER BOWL in their rookie year? But he has put up points consistently year after year, with less than average talent around him on offense in many of those years. Will any of the OLinemen that played with him recently end up in the HOF? No. Before Brown emerged he also won with average talent at WR. If Mendenhal had not fumbled the game away Ben's team would have beaten the Packers in the Steeler's last SB performance.

Yes, I do think Ben is the equal of Rogers. I believe Brady would be out of the league years ago had he played behind the Steeler's OL. And anyone that would take Brees, Wilson, Manning, Romo or Rivers over Ben is the fool, or a superTOAD....

This post was edited on 3/13 9:34 PM by GregInPitt

I mostly agree with you, except I would add Luck to that list and possibly a few other younger guys. But I would take Ben over Rhomo any day of the week. That guy is the ultimate loser choker.

Great move by the Steelers.

If we don't lose LB last year for playoffs, things much different. Year before Pouncey for the year. Jeez. Give us some luck. and watch out.

The only o-linemen of note that Ben has played behind, to my recollection

would be Hartings and Pouncey (pre-injury). Other than that the line has been a collection of maulers and sieves that Ben's gone to battle with. Ben has never complained about the beatings he's taken over the years behind the swiss cheese in front of him which is why I think his o-line would all collectively take a bullet for Ben who constantly praises his linemen no matter what.

The offensive line of the Steelers that defeated the Arizona Cardinals was the worst offensive line to ever win a Super Bowl.

HUGE Ben fan. Should be in the mix as one of the greats. it's a good day for the Steelers

Lot of Steelers homers in this thread. Great QBs make their offensive line look better. If Ben were a better player he wouldn't take the beating he does. He would have an idea what the defense is doing and get rid of the ball quicker. You will get no argument from me regarding his toughness, but I would argue his stubborn refusal to sit when he has been clearly rendered ineffective by injury has cost the Steelers chances at championships in certain season. Two years ago, for example, he was hobbled but refused to sit out a few meaningless games and it cost his team.

The championship argument has always been a dumb one. Eli Manning has won 2 Super Bowls. Is he better than his brother or Rodgers or Brees?

It appears to be pretty much unanimous. I hate the steelers

and I am glad they locked him up, too.:)

Hopefully that was just hyperbole. If you wouldn't trade him straight up for Aaron Rodgers you are a fool. I would also rather have Brady, Brees, Wilson, Manning, Romo and Rivers.
Holy cow. Romo is the most overhyped and overrated player in recent memory.

Originally posted by NittPicker:

Hopefully that was just hyperbole. If you wouldn't trade him straight up for Aaron Rodgers you are a fool. I would also rather have Brady, Brees, Wilson, Manning, Romo and Rivers.
Holy cow. Romo is the most overhyped and overrated player in recent memory.
Rivers and Romo are both really good quarterbacks. Ben is a Hall of Fame quarterback. Given the entire body of work those two are not even close to Ben.

Glad he is a Steeler for life. For him to actually have had what may have been a career year last year after the beatings he has taken though the years is astonishing. He could have a few more Super Bowls left in him. He is going to end up in the top ten in about every QB stat in the history of the league.

I think it was demlion who was posting in every thread last year about how Ben was washed up and has been terrible.

Yeah good call.

I've not been a fan of Ben, at least insofar as his personal life

played out, at least in his younger years. However, his detractors here don't watch him enough. He is probably the toughest SOB quarterback in the league, as he has gotten the shit kicked out of him physically over the last 5 years due to the Steelers' lack of a decent offensive line. He is a damned good quarterback, and outside of Bradshaw is the best the Steelers have ever had in my lifetime by a fair margin.

Anybody who would take Romo over him is clearly on drugs, and frankly, there aren't a whole lot of other quarterbacks I'd like to have over him.

The championship argument has always been a dumb one. Eli Manning has won 2 Super Bowls. Is he better than his brother or Rodgers or Brees?
If the ultimate goal every year is to win Super Bowls, then the answer is yes. Would you rather your quarterback lead the league in every statistical category, or have your quarterback be the one that wins the Super Bowl?

Yeah, I thought so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT