ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers and Eagles draft 2021

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
So guys...who do they take? The mock i saw the other day had Pittsburgh taking the QB, Trask, from Florida. The Eagles taking a corner from South Carolina.

So guys...who do they take? The mock i saw the other day had Pittsburgh taking the QB, Trask, from Florida. The Eagles taking a corner from South Carolina.

Eagles should pick Smith from Alabama and clean house with their older receivers. Assuming they trade Ertz, Pat F would be a solid 2nd round pick if available.
Steelers should hope the Alabama running back is around when they pick.

If I were the Steelers I'd take Najee Harris with the first round pick. They have a bunch of needs, but an obvious need is a running game. Conner's contract is up and they've tried to find his replacement the past couple of years in the mid rounds and it hasn't worked out. Time to gamble and take one in the first and ride with Rudolph for a year to see if he's the deal. I can't see them paying Ben 40 million next year but I also don't see them cutting him. There's going to be a tough discussion there.

$22 million of Ben's 2021 salary is signing bonus money that has already been paid and (barring a contract extension) has to be accounted for in 2021. So cutting him saves $19 million in cap space. Definitely a challenging situation. Bad time for the Steelers to lose Omar Khan, their chief negotiator who is reportedly under consideration for the Houston GM position.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I was screaming at the TV when Dobbins was there for their second round pick during last year's draft. Yeah, Claypool is good, but we didn't have a running game that concerned any defensive coordinator last year, or the year before that really. This was the year where the window was open to a possible championship. Your quarterback is returning, you have good receivers on the outside and you picked up a serviceable TE in Ebron. You have what could have been the #1 defense in the league. All you need is a running back. Nope! Tomlin sees a shiny new toy!

Now your OL is aging and not worth another contract. Your aging QB is already worried about getting hit on every play with the OL you have now. The defense can still be very good. But we now need a RB and a bunch of fat kids to push the other fat kids around. The window is closing fast. Chicken or the egg? We need good (better and younger) fat kids and that RB.

I think I draft a whole bunch of fat kids this year. That RB won't be able to block for himself.

The Steelers free agents after this season. Lots of these positions are thin.

Bud DupreeEDGESteelersUFA59.1%28$15,828,000
Alejandro VillanuevaLTSteelersUFA100.0%33$6,000,000
Avery WilliamsonLBSteelersUFA61.4%29$3,500,000
Mike HiltonCBSteelersUFA45.0%27$3,259,000
Matt FeilerRTSteelersUFA77.2%29$3,259,000
Tyson AlualuIDLSteelersUFA43.6%34$2,875,000
Zach BannerRTSteelersUFA5.4%28$1,750,000
JuJu Smith-SchusterWRSteelersUFA84.1%25$1,048,945
Jordan BerryPSteelersUFA22.7%30$910,000
Jayrone ElliottEDGESteelersUFA3.5%30$910,000
Cassius MarshEDGESteelersUFA13.7%29$910,000
Chris WormleyIDLSteelersUFA14.5%28$889,911
Trey EdmundsRBSteelersRFA0.0%27$825,000
Danny IsidoraRGSteelersUFA0.2%27$825,000
Sean DavisSSteelersUFA5.6%28$825,000
Jordan DangerfieldSSteelersUFA1.9%31$825,000
Cameron SuttonCBSteelersUFA53.2%25$804,282
James ConnerRBSteelersUFA51.1%26$793,822
Jerald HawkinsRTSteelersUFA6.9%28$750,000
Ray-Ray McCloudWRSteelersRFA15.0%25$750,000
Joshua DobbsQBSteelersUFA0.8%26$739,781
Marcus AllenSSteelersERFA20.0%25$615,000
Olasunkanmi AdeniyiEDGESteelersRFA14.0%24$575,000
J.C. HassenauerCSteelersERFA27.6%26$540,000
Robert SpillaneLBSteelersERFA36.7%26$540,000
Jarron JonesLTSteelersSFA0.0%27$142,800

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
I think the Steelers go after the OL from Michigan. I see then letting go several free agents for money reasons or the fact that they have a good replacement for them. I also say go after Darnold from the Jets

If Pittsburgh goes for a RB I think Harris will be off the board. How about Ettienne from Clemson??

It looks like the Rookies the Steelers have are panning out pretty well so I can see some of the veterans being let go and saving some $$$. The biggest issue is Ben what can they do about his contract. I Can see them letting Dupree, Pouncy, Villunuava, Williamson, Conner go because I think they either have a good replacement for them or can draft for something to replace them.

If Pittsburgh goes for a RB I think Harris will be off the board. How about Ettienne from Clemson??
Everything I'm reading has Etienne going as the first RB but I'd take Harris as he's more of a bruiser yet has the speed too. If the OL is suspect then Harris might get you that extra yard or two that a smaller back would get swallowed up on. Just my opinion.

Reactions: BBrown
Steelers go for an O-lineman first, I think.

Lots of free agents and significant cap issues -- challenging off-season ahead.

It's not the RB it's the OL that needs to be fixed. Villunuava , Pouncey , are getting old and should be let go. Get an OL from the draft with Hauusenhuaer, Dotson, Keep Feiler the steelers can get a younger better OL. Plus letting the guys go that I stated saved money and can be put back into the OL. The Steelers need someway to get 3-4 a carry. Any RB in the NFL can do that with a good OL.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Steelers should draft the highest rated player left on their board at OT, RB or QB.

If the Bama RB is there I believe the Steelers will take him. Current RB's are a collection of non-starter talent, with Connor the only one that actually sees the plays unfold and runs to the correct holes. And then go OL, OL, OL. Their OL is old almost across the line, and contributes to their abysmal running game.

I hope they pass on the QB from FL. He looked like a deer in the headlights in FL's bowl game, similar to most of Rudolph's Steelers career. If the Jets move up to take Laurence maybe Donald is available for a reasonable price (3rd round pick? probably not.) .....

I also believe Ben will restructure his contract to facilitate the signings of their own free agents that they choose to sign. For Dupree, maybe his injury lowers his price and he can fit into their salary structure, but probably not.... And the improving performance of Highsmith in recent games makes Dupree a luxury.

Last edited:
Steelers should draft the highest rated player left on their board at OT, RB or QB.
A lot comes down to Ben. Is he willing, or can he, still perform. He clearly isn't earning the massive pay that hurts the team from paying other players. Are the Steelers in a position to make one more run in 2021? There are a ton of team in money trouble due to the pandemic so it will be interesting to see what the cap numbers are for 2021. A lot of teams going to have to make some hard decisions.

\
It's not the RB it's the OL that needs to be fixed. Villunuava , Pouncey , are getting old and should be let go. Get an OL from the draft with Hauusenhuaer, Dotson, Keep Feiler the steelers can get a younger better OL. Plus letting the guys go that I stated saved money and can be put back into the OL. The Steelers need someway to get 3-4 a carry. Any RB in the NFL can do that with a good OL.

Agree but I'm not a fan of either Snell or Conner. Keep them as good players off the bench but neither is or should be a starter in the NFL.

\

Agree but I'm not a fan of either Snell or Conner. Keep them as good players off the bench but neither is or should be a starter in the NFL.
Perhaps you are right but give me the OL any day. I remember when fast Willie Parker played for Pittsburgh. In college he was an afterthought he had a great career for the Steelers because he had a good OL blocking for him and didn't Conner have almost a 1000 yards a few years ago??? Is he an awesome RB no but behind a good OL he can be more than solid. But an upgrade at Rb would be welcomed

Perhaps you are right but give me the OL any day. I remember when fast Willie Parker played for Pittsburgh. In college he was an afterthought he had a great career for the Steelers because he had a good OL blocking for him and didn't Conner have almost a 1000 yards a few years ago??? Is he an awesome RB no but behind a good OL he can be more than solid. But an upgrade at Rb would be welcomed

Agree about the OL. Pouncey and Villunuava look like shells of their former selves.
I'm not sure if it was the loss of Mike M or just players getting old but they need help.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Agree about the OL. Pouncey and Villunuava look like shells of their former selves.
I'm not sure if it was the loss of Mike M or just players getting old but they need help.
Oh that is true Mularkey is a top shelf OL coach would love to get him back

I see very little at RB for the Steelers although Conner when healthy is the best in my opinion. They need to rebuild the OL and hopefully get an upgrade at RB. I'd be willing to hope Trey Sermon could be picked up later and not go after a first round Harris.

Just reviewed a couple mock drafts and none of them have a RB going in the first round, which I find strange.

It all depends on what The Steelers do in FA prior to the draft... I have seen rumors of either Darnold or Wentz being signed...

1st - Center from Bama, 2nd - RB, 3rd - Best available OL, 4th - OL, 5th - OL

If neither sign with The Steelers

1st - QB, 2nd - RB, 3rd - Best available OL, 4th - OL, 5th - OL

I just don't see a solid option being around at QB late in the first round. Only way I see The Steelers landing Ben's replacement is if they go after Darnold or Wentz in FA. None of the other FA QBs will be around after Ben hangs up the cleats.

Kyle Trask will be no better of a pro than Mason Rudolph. If the team has Big Ben for 1 or 2 more years they need to go get Dwayne Haskins for pennies on the dollar. Big time arm, 10 cent head.....but look at the culture he was drafted in to....the WFT are and have always been a mess. Bring Haskins in, let him sit and learn. No pressure and no expectations. all I know is Trask is now the answer ad the next QB.

Take Harris in the first round. He looks like another Derrick Henry so a franchise back. A good run game takes pressure off Ben and eases the blow as we transition to a new QB.

Try to get a good O-lineman in round 2. Ride Ben for one more year while evaluating Rudolph hard. He doesn't look like the answer but maybe a gap fill for a year or 2. We can make a QB move next year or wait a year or two for the right one through the draft or free agency. No guarantee but as they evaluate upcoming QB draft classes perhaps they target a guy who is is a couple years out. Sean Clifford could be available, LOL!

Kyle Trask will be no better of a pro than Mason Rudolph. If the team has Big Ben for 1 or 2 more years they need to go get Dwayne Haskins for pennies on the dollar. Big time arm, 10 cent head.....but look at the culture he was drafted in to....the WFT are and have always been a mess. Bring Haskins in, let him sit and learn. No pressure and no expectations. all I know is Trask is now the answer ad the next QB.

I don't want Haskins anywhere close to The Steelers. He's had a multitude of chances to act like the adult in the room (and we are talking NFL players so its not hard) and he's blown everyone of them, so bad that the team that drafted him with their first pick said "bye Felicia".
Steelers have already had and know whats it like to deal with trouble making Prima Donna's who actually contribute...see Brown and Bell...lets not add one that doesn't even contribute.
Agree about Kyle Trask.

Free up some capital:

#1. let Dupree walk. He’s too expensive. Also coming off knee injury.

#2. Likely let Villanueva walk. I like what he represents, but it is a business.

Plan A:
#3. Sign OT in free agency- one young enough so you still get his prime years.

#4. Draft Najee Harris or Etienne with #1 pick.

or
Plan B:
#5. draft Trey Sermon in a later round, use 1st pick on the nastiest OT available (looks to be a good draft for OT)

supplement to both A & B:
#6. Do not overpay Ju-Ju. Be ready to let him walk.

#7. “Ask” Ben to agree to a hometown discount restructuring.

#8. Fill in the pieces, seems to be some quality value guys that can be re-signed.

#9. Find the next QB. (Or at least one better than Rudolph)

Reactions: BBrown and bison13
Eagles need in this order: O line, receiver, corner, edge rusher. I’d look to trade down with the 6th pick for a late first rounder and second round pick and try to fill multiple needs. Trading Wentz for a corner and Ertz for a 4th rounder might give them some additional help.

Free up some capital:

#2. Likely let Villanueva walk. I like what he represents, but it is a business.

Plan A:

or
Plan B:
#5. draft Trey Sermon in a later round, use 1st pick on the nastiest OT available (looks to be a good draft for OT)

#8. Fill in the pieces, seems to be some quality value guys that can be re-signed.

A lot of these strategies are un reasonable given the Steelers will be picking around 20 in the first round. four or five OTs will be off the Board at that point :mad:

Take Harris in the first round. He looks like another Derrick Henry so a franchise back. A good run game takes pressure off Ben and eases the blow as we transition to a new QB.

Try to get a good O-lineman in round 2. Ride Ben for one more year while evaluating Rudolph hard. He doesn't look like the answer but maybe a gap fill for a year or 2. We can make a QB move next year or wait a year or two for the right one through the draft or free agency. No guarantee but as they evaluate upcoming QB draft classes perhaps they target a guy who is is a couple years out. Sean Clifford could be available, LOL!
I don't want Haskins anywhere close to The Steelers. He's had a multitude of chances to act like the adult in the room (and we are talking NFL players so its not hard) and he's blown everyone of them, so bad that the team that drafted him with their first pick said "bye Felicia".
Steelers have already had and know whats it like to deal with trouble making Prima Donna's who actually contribute...see Brown and Bell...lets not add one that doesn't even contribute.
Agree about Kyle Trask.

I was in that same mindset when he was released...then I remembered a big, young, and dumb QB we took in the first round that had his share of issues and because it was the Pittsbugh Steelers he was able to have the chance to turn it around. Haskins has probably never had anyone stand up to him and tell him to shape up or ship out....until the redskins did just that. It may be the wake-up call he needs and maybe this is the thing that lets him know that the NFL is a business and he needs to treat it that way.

All I know is they better try a few different things to get a QB because they are about to be in a division with 3 pretty tough young QB's.

Remember, they got ben at pick 10 I believe....they aren't getting a QB worth a damn at 27+....

Free up some capital:

Plan A:

or
Plan B:

I like it, but I want to do all the plans!!

1. Let Dupree and Villa go.
2. Do not for one second over pay JJSS. Let him go as well.
3. Sign Dwayne Haskins right now. Let him sit in the system until April. At that time you should know what you have as far as outside of lockeroom trouble, etc. If he works out, you have stuck gold....if he doesn't then your strategy in FA and draft changes.
4. Don't worry about WR or RB until the 5th or 6th Round and don't draft a DB.....go sing a FA with some of the money saved from Bud and Charlie.
5. Round 1-4 nothing but OL, DL, and LB.

3. Sign Dwayne Haskins right now. Let him sit in the system until April. At that time you should know what you have as far as outside of lockeroom trouble, etc. If he works out, you have stuck gold....if he doesn't then your strategy in FA and draft changes.
Struck gold? Putting the off the field baggage aside, what have you seen that makes you think Haskins is a NFL QB nevermind a great one?

Reactions: 81b&w
Struck gold? Putting the off the field baggage aside, what have you seen that makes you think Haskins is a NFL QB nevermind a great one?

Struck Gold might be a little on the positive side, but I believe in his ability and the culture of the Steelers.
1. Big time arm.
2. I think the Steelers System fits him perfectly.
3. Pretty athletic.
4. No rush to start.
5. Could you imagine if the Browns picked Ben instead of Winslow Jr? Would he still be a HOF Lock?
6. There are no negatives to the idea? He acts up you cut him on the spot.
7. The team probably won't be in a position to select a pick higher that 20 in the Draft. Unless an Arron Rodgers falls like he did, chances are your aren't getting a potential game changer.

So as I said, Stuck Gold might not be a great thought. But what are the downfalls to taking a chance on him?

Reactions: sammyk
Struck Gold might be a little on the positive side, but I believe in his ability and the culture of the Steelers.
1. Big time arm.
3. Pretty athletic.
4. No rush to start.
5. Could you imagine if the Browns picked Ben instead of Winslow Jr? Would he still be a HOF Lock?
7. The team probably won't be in a position to select a pick higher that 20 in the Draft. Unless an Arron Rodgers falls like he did, chances are your aren't getting a potential game changer.

So as I said, Stuck Gold might not be a great thought. But what are the downfalls to taking a chance on him?
Not bad

1. Big time arm.
3. Pretty athletic.
4. No rush to start.

No thanks. He's inaccurate and immobile. Next!

Reactions: 81b&w
No thanks. He's inaccurate and immobile. Next!

Appreciate your point of view. But I will leave you with this, because I just did it. Look at the drafts from 2020, 2019, and 2018 and look at the names of the QB's that were picked 20th or higher. Out of those 27 names, 3 are current starters: Hurts, Lock, and Lamar Jackson. 2 of those teams are terrible. Pittsburgh is not a band aid type of QB destination. They need a plug and play.....Haskins could be that instead of wasting a pick that will be over #20.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT