ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers’ Stephen Tuit retires are age 29.

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
The big defensive tackle announced his retirement this week. He missed all of last year after his brother was killed in a hit and run in Atlanta while helping their sister move. Took time off to deal with that and help his sister. He came back briefly and then had knee surgery. During his time off he graduated from Norte Dame.

Seems he decided there are things more important than football. Wish him well and excited to see his future.

I'm just glad he's gone. We all deal with tragedy and typically return to work in a couple weeks. Tuitt played the situation in my opinion. Sad that he lost his brother but I have no respect for how he handled the situation.

• Wow
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
I'm just glad he's gone. We all deal with tragedy and typically return to work in a couple weeks. Tuitt played the situation in my opinion. Sad that he lost his brother but I have no respect for how he handled the situation.
I have no insider info but I surmise that his sister was terribly hurt by what happened. He probably spent a ton of time with her helping her cope.

I have no insider info but I surmise that his sister was terribly hurt by what happened. He probably spent a ton of time with her helping her cope.
Then he should have walked away last year and not dragged this out. Even had he retired before the draft this year it would have been somewhat respectable. He's not the first person to deal with something like this. How he handled it may have been great for his family but was completely unprofessional.

Then he should have walked away last year and not dragged this out. Even had he retired before the draft this year it would have been somewhat respectable. He's not the first person to deal with something like this. How he handled it may have been great for his family but was completely unprofessional.
I disagree. He may have not known if he was going to play or not....... He told teammates that he was coming back.....but now that it is time to suit up he has to decide to go or not to go.

I dealt with a family issue similar to Tuitt at the end of 2021 and my motivation to work changes weekly......some weeks really into work....other weeks I am doing math on walking away.

If I was a multimillionaire at 28 with my health.....I would walk away from football, especially if I can still walk and my head was ok. Hard to walk in his shoes.

Last edited:
Judge Much.? Just not sure how you can get to the point that you can make the jump to pass judgment on this man!

So I guess he was just not In-Tuit any longer?

giphy.gif

I'm sure you would handle a situation like that perfectly :(

I disagree. He may have not known if he was going to play or not....... He told teammates that he was coming back.....but now that it is time to suit up he has to decide to go or not to go.

I dealt with a family issue similar to Tuitt at the end of 2021 and my motivation to work changes weekly......some weeks really into work....other weeks I am doing math on walking away.

If I was a multimillionaire at 28 with my health.....I would walk away from football, especially if I can still walk and my head was ok. Hard to walk in his shoes.
My assumption is he wanted to play but when the time came to leave his sister she wasn’t ready. Their brother was killed by a hit and driver while helping her move. Poor woman is probably filled with guilt and regret. Good on him that he is willing to end his career to help his sister.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Judge Much.? Just not sure how you can get to the point that you can make the jump to pass judgment on this man!

When you're dealt with the loss of a family member did you go back to work for did you get paid millions for over a year? Tragedies happens and life goes on. I don't have to respect how he handled it and I'm sure he doesn't care. He got paid after all.

But did you go back to work? Yes, it's a struggle. We all deal with that but we push through it. He simply wanted to collect as much money as he could before he retired. Mission accomplished.

Lando, respect your thoughts......do not know who you are or what you have been through.

10 years ago....I would have been high fiving you on the comments. Having lived through a somewhat unexpected family death at a young age it re-calibrates you. You value certain things way more than you used to, and you do not care about making more money than you need to live the life that you are living.

Tuitt was a good Steeler. I wanted him to come back, but he decided not to. I honestly believe that he did not know if he was going to play until some time in the last couple of weeks.

Maybe I am being naive and he worked the system to make money to screw the Steelers, but i do not think so.

Tuitt will be fine and the Steelers will be fine without Tuitt. The NFL is a business and Tuitt made a decision that he did not want to spend the physical and mental equity to play the game for a $9MM payment in 2022. If you think that a decision like that was an easy decision for him to make....walking away from teammates and all and giving up $9MM.....I do not know what to say. I chose to wish him well, he seems like a good guy.

Lando, respect your thoughts......do not know who you are or what you have been through.

10 years ago....I would have been high fiving you on the comments. Having lived through a somewhat unexpected family death at a young age it re-calibrates you. You value certain things way more than you used to, and you do not care about making more money than you need to live the life that you are living.

Tuitt was a good Steeler. I wanted him to come back, but he decided not to. I honestly believe that he did not know if he was going to play until some time in the last couple of weeks.

Maybe I am being naive and he worked the system to make money to screw the Steelers, but i do not think so.

Tuitt will be fine and the Steelers will be fine without Tuitt. The NFL is a business and Tuitt made a decision that he did not want to spend the physical and mental equity to play the game for a $9MM payment in 2022. If you think that a decision like that was an easy decision for him to make....walking away from teammates and all and giving up $9MM.....I do not know what to say. I chose to wish him well, he seems like a good guy.

And I'm not saying you're required to have the same opinion as me. I've lost a lot of people long before they should have passed and I took a normal period of time off and went back to work/life. I was younger than him when I dealt with tragedy and I battled through--bad days and all. I don't respect how he handled the situation. I think he's known since the beginning he was done and even if he didn't he owed it to the organization that allowed him to sit out the entire year while being paid to make the decision before free agency and the draft. The one situation I would have been understanding of this was if he lost of child but it was a brother in a hit & run accident. It's tragic but, I'm sorry, I don't care how close they were the timing wasn't acceptable. He should have been back on the field last fall.

And walking away from 9M is a lot easier when you got paid millions last year to sit at home

And I'm not saying you're required to have the same opinion as me. I've lost a lot of people long before they should have passed and I took a normal period of time off and went back to work/life. I was younger than him when I dealt with tragedy and I battled through--bad days and all. I don't respect how he handled the situation. I think he's known since the beginning he was done and even if he didn't he owed it to the organization that allowed him to sit out the entire year while being paid to make the decision before free agency and the draft. The one situation I would have been understanding of this was if he lost of child but it was a brother in a hit & run accident. It's tragic but, I'm sorry, I don't care how close they were the timing wasn't acceptable. He should have been back on the field last fall.

And walking away from 9M is a lot easier when you got paid millions last year to sit at home
How did his sister handle it? The guy was helping her move when he was killed. That would be tough to handle. Stephen has been helping her through it.

How did his sister handle it? The guy was helping her move when he was killed. That would be tough to handle. Stephen has been helping her through it.
And...

Honestly, don't you think family members help each other every day through tragedy yet go to work? Why is he special? Those parents that lost their kids in the school shooting in Texas--they'll all have to go back to work sooner than later. They have to support their other children and their spouses but they'll go to back in far less than a year. Far less than never. And losing a child is infinitely harder.

In the end, he used the Steelers and collected a full year of salary to do nothing then retired after the Steelers had completed free agency and the draft. I don't respect any of that. Good for him for being there for his family but he had other obligations as well.

It's a shame the Steelers won't ask for last year's money back.

ADVERTISEMENT