ADVERTISEMENT

State College food recommendations

smaturin

Sep 13, 2012
I don't know why I can't do a decent search as these threads come up a few times a year. Is it just me or is the search function terrible after the "refresh"?

Anyway, a friend is headed to PSU tonight with her daughter for volleyball tournament. What would you suggest for:

(A) A restaurant that gives good PSU feeling, but is more restaurant than bar (girls are under 18). Need not be a place where the whole team can eat.

(B) A good independent breakfast place; and

(C) The best (independent) place for carryout for a team dinner at the hotel. Usually that is pasta and salads kind of thing, but if there is any other fare that they should consider certainly post it.

I am afraid my own recommendations are outdated. Thanks for any help.

A) The Tavern or the Corner Room

B) The Waffle Shop, or if they don't mind driving out West College Ave a bit, the Broken Egg

For the PSU feel, it gets no better than The Corner Room at the corner of College & Allen.

They serve breakfast all day, too. The food is decent, albeit nothing to write home about. The atmosphere is awesome, though--high back wooden booths, window seats, etc.

As for carryout downtown....there's nothing I'd recommend.

Home Delivery on South Atherton is popular for pizza/pasta/etc and they deliver....but IMO, the food there is vastly overrated. Faccia Luna is also an awesome pizza/pasta place, but I'm not sure if they do takeout....plus it's pricey.

I don't know why I can't do a decent search as these threads come up a few times a year. Is it just me or is the search function terrible after the "refresh"?

Anyway, a friend is headed to PSU tonight with her daughter for volleyball tournament. What would you suggest for:

(A) A restaurant that gives good PSU feeling, but is more restaurant than bar (girls are under 18). Need not be a place where the whole team can eat.

(C) The best (independent) place for carryout for a team dinner at the hotel. Usually that is pasta and salads kind of thing, but if there is any other fare that they should consider certainly post it.

A. Tavern, Deli, Champs, Lettermans (formerly Damon's), Baby's, Mad Mex
B. Naked Egg (what manatree is referring to), Waffle Shop
C. Harrison's

Add the Allen Street Grill and this is a good list. ASG is above The Corner Room.

All depends on price range.

A) American Ale House at Toftrees (more restaurant than bar, excellent food and reasonably priced)

B) Waffle Shop (West College Ave across from the entrance to the Blue Golf Course)

c) Facia Luna ( excellent pasta, pizza, sandwiches, salads at 1229 S Atherton Street)

Rotelli regularly caters to both Penn State, local, and visiting sports teams. They'll know for sure how to handle a group sports team pasta and salad carryout deal.

Brother's Pizza next to Luna 2 out by the mall. Large menu, lots of dinners and sandwiches besides pizza.

I wouldn't recommend the Ale House for a group of young kids. Not that it would be inappropriate or anything of the sort.......but while it's a neat atmosphere, it's far from a PSU atmosphere and food that kids would like.

Brother's Pizza next to Luna 2 out by the mall. Large menu, lots of dinners and sandwiches besides pizza.

I'll second this--Brother's out by the mall is great. If you don't mind going "out there" to pick up stuff or dine-in, definitely do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT