ADVERTISEMENT

Starting defensive line

Simmons if he gets healthy. Not sure if he is practicing yet. Oweh is going to be in the mix.
I'm hoping Simmons can finally stay healthy and live up to his 5-star rating. I predict Oweh starts the season on the third team, but ends up second team by the time B1G competition starts. I forgot about Hansard and would put him on second team in place of Barber if he is healthy.

I think Toney with the added weight may start, but they will all play quite a bit...including Oweh.

Toney has lost weight according to the Spring PSU roster. Was listed at 241 lbs last year, and now listed at 236.

Shaka Toney DE Sr. Jr. 6-3 236

No mention of Tarburton here. We know Toney is very quick off the edge, but Tarburton at a listed 260 lbs looks more like a DE....

Nick Tarburton DE So. Fr. 6-3 260

9128919.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310 and 81b&w
I don't know if he'll make the move to 2nd team to start this season, but I think Tarburton is going to be a good one. I'm not a fan of Shaka Toney's, just think he's not big enough and too much of a one trick pony. Chief Dan Joseph is an ok depth guy, but the talent is not there for more than that. I imagine Shelton is the guy to beat out for Given's tackle spot. There's some really talented DTs in that room, just not much experience.

Reactions: psualt and kevin310
Toney has lost weight according to the Spring PSU roster. Was listed at 241 lbs last year, and now listed at 236.

Shaka Toney DE Sr. Jr. 6-3 236

No mention of Tarburton here. We know Toney is very quick off the edge, but Tarburton at a listed 260 lbs looks more like a DE....

Nick Tarburton DE So. Fr. 6-3 260

9128919.jpg

You're right he is down 5, but I still think he gets the nod regardless. JMO there as they will all play quite a bit. Hell Oweh is apparently up to 250 already. Toney has had the most PT of the non starters and has certainly flashed at times.

Toney's best moments have come against inferior opponents. He has been a liability against the stronger offensive lines in the BIG. Realistically, he's a depth guy in this conference.

I agree with the sentiment above that he may get the early nod based on experience alone, but I'm hoping Simmons/Oweh can take over duties. I was convinced Simmons was primed to break out last season before the injury bug hit him. The final 4 games (or so) of his RS FR season he was beginning to make an impact. He played really well in the Fiesta Bowl against Washington if I'm remembering correctly. Hopefully he can finally put it all together.

Toney's best moments have come against inferior opponents. He has been a liability against the stronger offensive lines in the BIG. Realistically, he's a depth guy in this conference.

I agree with the sentiment above that he may get the early nod based on experience alone, but I'm hoping Simmons/Oweh can take over duties. I was convinced Simmons was primed to break out last season before the injury bug hit him. The final 4 games (or so) of his RS FR season he was beginning to make an impact. He played really well in the Fiesta Bowl against Washington if I'm remembering correctly. Hopefully he can finally put it all together.

People get wrapped up in the "starter" as they will all play in this system. Some players do come on later in their career, but in the new world if you're not starting by a soph....you can't be good. Even though we have seen so many players evolve into good players late in their career. I love the overall athleticism at DE to be honest....the snap counts unless one really stands out will be spread out and fairly even I imagine.

Toney is at his best if the other guys are in pass situation. when he has to deal with the run he has not been as effective. when we have the lead and late in game he can be a demon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT