ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley cup playoffs thread

Hate to be that guy but Sullivan has got to go.

Pens have been run out of the building by inferior teams in the first round four years in a row. This year it’s completely inexcusable to yet again lose a series after being up 3-1.

He’s turned into another Bylsma and the window is closing.

Worse than losing the series up 3-1 was blowing leads in game 5, 6 and 7. 2 goal leads in 5 & 6. The only FA I'd bring back is Rust.

Worse than losing the series up 3-1 was blowing leads in game 5, 6 and 7. 2 goal leads in 5 & 6. The only FA I'd bring back is Rust.
I thought the turning point was the Pens giving up a silly penalty and letting the Rangers score in five seconds in game five. The Pens coach was livid...probably too much so. You don't want to get into somebody's head during the playoffs. You don't send messages at that point. Its too late. it looked like the Pens got distracted and lost all the momentum in the game and series.

Avs just scored on a blatant offsides. Can’t believe the Blues didn’t challenge.

Avs just scored on a blatant offsides. Can’t believe the Blues didn’t challenge.
The puck was probably too high in the air to get clear video confirmation, if they lose the challenge the avs go on power play.

Rangers playing the role of "hot team" at the right time. Caught a break playing teams with 2nd/3rd string goalies to barely win first 2 rounds...but doing much better than I anticipated vs 88 (so far)

Really hoping the Avs find a way to win this. I just hate the Rangers so much. Although Adam Fox is a beast. Cale Makar and Adam Fox might be the best two D in the league and they're only going to get better.

Rangers playing the role of "hot team" at the right time. Caught a break playing teams with 2nd/3rd string goalies to barely win first 2 rounds...but doing much better than I anticipated vs 88 (so far)
Helps to have a goon like Troupa knocking out the stars of opponents. Took out Kreagal of the Pens in game one. Then took out Crosby in game five. Game seven against Hurricanes he took out a key player in first period. All with elbows to the head. And nothing by the league office.

Helps to have a goon like Troupa knocking out the stars of opponents. Took out Kreagal of the Pens in game one. Then took out Crosby in game five. Game seven against Hurricanes he took out a key player in first period. All with elbows to the head. And nothing by the league office.
Exactly..... the Sid elbow was the turning point, the fact that no penalty was called is what keeps hockey at a lower level than the other major sports. Basketball knows that stars and offense sells their game, and when the most known player in NA gets leveled with an elbow to the head and no penalty is called......the goons win. Pens have needed someone to keep oposing goons from targeting Crosby, but refuse to do so.....

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Exactly..... the Sid elbow was the turning point, the fact that no penalty was called is what keeps hockey at a lower level than the other major sports. Basketball knows that stars and offense sells their game, and when the most known player in NA gets leveled with an elbow to the head and no penalty is called......the goons win. Pens have needed someone to keep oposing goons from targeting Crosby, but refuse to do so.....
Haven’t watched a NHL game since the Pens were ousted. Screw the NHL.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
I have watched a little. The Colorado vs. Edminton has been entertaining hockey.....shame that Colorado is up 3-0.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I have watched a little. The Colorado vs. Edminton has been entertaining hockey.....shame that Colorado is up 3-0.
I hate the Oilers so couldn't be happier watching the Avs destroy the Oilers. McDavid is a great player but he's way overhyped given his lack of team accomplishments. Mike Smith isn't good enough to win a cup.

As a Flyer fan meanongful hockey has been done for me since February! The first two rounds were entertaining. Watched the Leafs series closely and enjoyed being able to see Calgary and Edmonton play some games in earlier time slots to see the young talent on both teams.

Agree that the NHL/NBA subscribe to different philosophies re star treatment. In the NBA it's hard to tell how great someone like LeBron really is b/c he plays by different rules than his predecessors.

In the NHL, like it or not, most Cup winning. teams have a goon and/or "physical" players who often make the difference. Whether one loves them or hates them depends on whose sweater they are wearing...

The Avs do look like they are head and shoulders above. If they sweep and Bolts v Gers goes 6 or 7 it will be no contest. May be that way even if NY sweeps...

Watching the Avs play is just fun. Makar truly is what Pens fans have always pretended Letang is/was.

Oilers blew 3-1 and 4-2 third period leads to lose 6-5 and get swept. Makar with a goal and 4 assists. Damn the Avs are fun to watch.

When I tuned in to watch, I inadvertently put it on the Spanish language ESPN. It was interesting to hear Sean McDonough in Spanish.

Gotta give the Bolts credit. Fight to get into playoffs. Win epic 7 game series vs Leafs. Smoke Panthers. Got the road win vs Rangers they needed. I don't like them but heart of a champion. Impressive run

Gotta give the Bolts credit. Fight to get into playoffs. Win epic 7 game series vs Leafs. Smoke Panthers. Got the road win vs Rangers they needed. I don't like them but heart of a champion. Impressive run
As a lifelong Pens' fan, I've come to admire Tampa Bay and am rooting for them now. They're clearly reaching their expiration date and winning more on experience, heart and guile right now more than pure talent, which is why I appreciate them more now.

Also, I love the way Hedman and The Big Cat play.

Last edited:
I want an Avs-Bolts final for 2 reasons. I hate the Rangers (and Oilers) and I like seeing the best two teams go H2H. The Avs and Bolts are the best two. I'm just not sure the Avs have the goaltending to win.

I have a cigar to smoke whenever the Rangers get eliminated. The Rangers have some good players, but Trouba and Gallant are POS and should not get to hold/autograph the Cup
What did Gallant ever do to hurt anyone?

What did Gallant ever do to hurt anyone?
Trouba = hitman
Gallant = client
Gallant before game 5 with Pens… “we are playing too soft”
First shift of game … Trouba vicious elbow to Guentzal noggin. Later elbow to Crosby head. Crosby and Guentzal are Pens leading scorers in series.
Game 5 vs Lightning…. Trouba misses with launched elbow to Palat head. Palat is leading scorer for Lightning at that point.
Do you see a pattern here?
Dots … try to connect ….
It’s not hard….

Trouba = hitman
Gallant = client
Gallant before game 5 with Pens… “we are playing too soft”
First shift of game … Trouba vicious elbow to Guentzel noggin. Later elbow to Crosby head. Crosby and Guentzel are Pens leading scorers in series.
Game 5 vs Lightning…. Trouba misses with launched elbow to Palat head. Palat is leading scorer for Lightning at that point.
Do you see a pattern here?
Dots … try to connect ….
It’s not hard….

I think the best 2 teams ended up where they were supposed to. Avs are hard to bet against but you never know. Lightning have earned their spot in the finals. A great goalie and strong leadership have taken them far.

Reactions: bison13
The Leafs should of beat Tampa as I really believe they were the better team, Tampa just knows how to win
Toronto completely outplayed them in the OT in Game 6 when they had a 3-2 lead in the series, but Vasilevskiy almost singlehandedly won that game. Since then, Tampa Bay really hasn't looked back, despite falling behind 2 games to none against the Rangers.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
The Leafs should of beat Tampa as I really believe they were the better team, Tampa just knows how to win
For no real reason I've picked the Leafs as my Canadian team to root for...great series and many chances to win it. Credit TB for capitalizing and refusing to lose. I don't care who wins Cup...some good games is all I ask

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT