ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley Cup Playoffs: Flyers vs. Pens Round 1

The Flyers will have an interesting off season. Giroux won’t be moved, but he had 1 goal this series. He has to be better in the playoffs.

Simmonds will be interesting. I don’t think he will be moved, but he didn’t look happy with how he played. Being removed from the PP stung him.

Voracek should be moved

Read surprised me. Has he fallen that far? I mean he is getting 4th line minutes.

Nolan Patrick is going to be the real deal.

Flyers D is where changes will be made.

Manning is prob a 7th D. Gudas has no business playing in the NHL. He is very slow skater and gets beats regularly.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Manning is prob a 7th D. Gudas has no business playing in the NHL. He is very slow skater and gets beats regularly.

They were terrible and a big reason why the Flyers got beat. They were a straight up liability, and playing them TOGETHER??? Oy vey.

Goaltending is the biggest problem because everybody the Flyers ran out there sucked. That said, those two stiffs are the first dead weight that has to go.

The Flyers will have an interesting off season. Giroux won’t be moved, but he had 1 goal this series. He has to be better in the playoffs.

Simmonds will be interesting. I don’t think he will be moved, but he didn’t look happy with how he played. Being removed from the PP stung him.

Voracek should be moved

Read surprised me. Has he fallen that far? I mean he is getting 4th line minutes.

I’m not completely sold on Patrick becoming an elite player. 13 goals 17 assists in regular season. 1g and 1a in 6 playoff games. He went unnoticed a lot. I watch a lot of hockey and you notice guys like Matthews, Laine, and Hischier throughout the game. I don’t notice Patrick often. Lots of time though

Didn’t the Flyers give away Bobrovsky?
He struggled early and they lost patience then hit the panic button.

All the more reason to start the rook and ride him. If he struggles and gets beat, learn on the job and get better. Because the alternatives aren't a bridge to anything. The alternatives are garbage.

Kudos to the Flyers for coming back when they could have wilted. Game five was epic and six was a solid, competitive game. They win six and seven is a free-for-all. Bottom line is that the Pens are just too strong. They were peppering the Flyers goalie the entire game, after he was unconscious in game five.

BTW, all fan bases are a-holes. You can always pick out someone looking and/or saying something ridiculous.

Didn’t the Flyers give away Bobrovsky?
If I recall correctly, he was part of trade that brought Couturier. I know with Columbus they sent Carter and Bobrovsky in separate deals and got back Voracek and the pick that was Couturier, and there was someone else in there, and it escapes me.
That said, Bobrovsky is not very good in playoffs.

Voracek should be moved

I heard a funny comment this morning. Someone asked if Giroux is the Donovan McNabb of the Flyers . . . I would say that is about the best way to sum him up. A very good player who is capable of amazing things. He just shrinks in the moment. He would be best served as a number 2 on a good team. (Possibly a Nashville or Colorado?). Unfortunately, he is still an $8M cap hit for 4 more years.

Simmonds was hurt this year, but I think he is done. 29 going on 39. They took his PP time away and that was it. He has one year left, and with any luck will not be re-signed.

Tough to move Voracek. He has six more years left at way too much money. Giroux Lite.

Read was actually waived before the season, not claimed, and spent most of the year in the AHL. That is how bad the bottom 6 was.

Patrick will be alright. He won’t be a superstar, but he will be a solid second liner. He started the year with injury problems as well. You could tell he righted his ship midway through and came on. I would be curious to see his stats for last 40 games .

Flyers D is just going to get a year older and better. Provorov, Gostisbehere, Hagg, and Sanheim are all in their first three years in the league. The first two are solid, I think Hagg plays an underrated game - no flash. Sanheim needs more PT and will get it next year. They need to decide what to do with Sam Morin. He has been in minors for four years now - time to hit or get off the pot. Manning might be back because e is so cheap. MacD and Gudas still have two years left. Hopefully, they are done when their contracts are up.

The goalies?? Well, they are bridges to the young guys. Carter Hart is well known and Felix Sandstrom is Plan B.

I doubt much happens this offseason. Minor moves. If Hextall can dump Giroux or Voracek, he might jump at that chance and take a step back to be able to leap forward.

I heard a funny comment this morning. Someone asked if Giroux is the Donovan McNabb of the Flyers . . . I would say that is about the best way to sum him up. A very good player who is capable of amazing things. He just shrinks in the moment. He would be best served as a number 2 on a good team. (Possibly a Nashville or Colorado?). Unfortunately, he is still an $8M cap hit for 4 more years.

Simmonds was hurt this year, but I think he is done. 29 going on 39. They took his PP time away and that was it. He has one year left, and with any luck will not be re-signed.

Tough to move Voracek. He has six more years left at way too much money. Giroux Lite.

Read was actually waived before the season, not claimed, and spent most of the year in the AHL. That is how bad the bottom 6 was.

Patrick will be alright. He won’t be a superstar, but he will be a solid second liner. He started the year with injury problems as well. You could tell he righted his ship midway through and came on. I would be curious to see his stats for last 40 games .

Flyers D is just going to get a year older and better. Provorov, Gostisbehere, Hagg, and Sanheim are all in their first three years in the league. The first two are solid, I think Hagg plays an underrated game - no flash. Sanheim needs more PT and will get it next year. They need to decide what to do with Sam Morin. He has been in minors for four years now - time to hit or get off the pot. Manning might be back because e is so cheap. MacD and Gudas still have two years left. Hopefully, they are done when their contracts are up.

The goalies?? Well, they are bridges to the young guys. Carter Hart is well known and Felix Sandstrom is Plan B.

I doubt much happens this offseason. Minor moves. If Hextall can dump Giroux or Voracek, he might jump at that chance and take a step back to be able to leap forward.

I don't even think of Giroux as a #2. Giroux's a nice compliment player that could help a team in the post season if he elevates his game. At that price tag he's simply a liability.

I thought Simmonds played well at times but lack consistency. He could still be a nice role player for a contender.

The length of Voracek's deal is as bad as the money. I can't see how they move him unless someone is at the floor and the Flyers pull off an NBA trade where they give up Voracek + picks to unload the salary while getting little or nothing in return.

Patrick will be very solid/good for years to come. The kid has good upside.

I thought Gostisbehere was awful in the series. Just as bad, if not worse, than the bottom pairing. You could tell Provorov wasn't close to 100% but still had some good moments. Hagg and Ranheim will improve and were solid in the series IMO.

They have to do something about the goalie situation for 2018-19. They can't go into with the three guys they have right now. I'm not saying they have to get someone that's elite but they need someone that can be solid.

If Hextall dumps Giroux of Voracek he deserves GM of the year. I just can't see any other team making that kind of move to take them

Reactions: Nit16
I don't even think of Giroux as a #2. Giroux's a nice compliment player that could help a team in the post season if he elevates his game. At that price tag he's simply a liability.

I thought Simmonds played well at times but lack consistency. He could still be a nice role player for a contender.

The length of Voracek's deal is as bad as the money. I can't see how they move him unless someone is at the floor and the Flyers pull off an NBA trade where they give up Voracek + picks to unload the salary while getting little or nothing in return.

Patrick will be very solid/good for years to come. The kid has good upside.

I thought Gostisbehere was awful in the series. Just as bad, if not worse, than the bottom pairing. You could tell Provorov wasn't close to 100% but still had some good moments. Hagg and Ranheim will improve and were solid in the series IMO.

They have to do something about the goalie situation for 2018-19. They can't go into with the three guys they have right now. I'm not saying they have to get someone that's elite but they need someone that can be solid.

If Hextall dumps Giroux of Voracek he deserves GM of the year. I just can't see any other team making that kind of move to take them
Giroux has 102 points, so he is still a major contributor on offense. He just cannot be the C or number 1 option.

I like Ghost because he gets the puck to the net, or at least tries. That is the unmentioned change this team needs is a new PP coach. They have done the same thing for the last three years, it is stale.

The goalies are what they are for next year. Unfortunately, they are all signed, so I do not see much movement here.

Giroux has 102 points, so he is still a major contributor on offense. He just cannot be the C or number 1 option.

I like Ghost because he gets the puck to the net, or at least tries. That is the unmentioned change this team needs is a new PP coach. They have done the same thing for the last three years, it is stale.

The goalies are what they are for next year. Unfortunately, they are all signed, so I do not see much movement here.

I agree that Giroux isn't a #1 and definitely not a captain. I guess it's hard to say exactly where he would fit on a team. I believe there was a lack of effort at times throughout the series. Jake Guentzel was mic'd up for the game Sunday and Jake completely mentally broke Giroux. Jake shouldn't be able to do that to a vet let alone a captain. Again JMO.

I like Gostisbehere's offensive upside and potential. We agree about the Flyers needing to revamp the powerplay. It doesn't work as is. Gostisbehere, IMO, seems like a defensive liability (much like Letang can be at times) so maybe I'm being overly critical of him. He definitely has time to mature/improve.

If the goalie situation stays the same I'm rooting for a Pens/Flyers first round match up in 2019 :)

Reactions: Nit16 and TheGLOV
Giroux was second in the league in scoring. He’s fine if they put the right pieces around him. Crosby isn’t Crosby with misfits on his wings.

The Flyers are putting a lot of hope on the back of Hart. They’d be advised to upgrade their defense (not the D, the defense all around) in front of him before throwing him to the wolves.

I do like Provorov. He can come to western PA anytime. It’s a shame he was so good or he would be at Penn State with Smirnov and Pavlychev.

The Flyers have some nice parts but after watching the last six games, they have more work to do than I thought before the series started.

Giroux was second in the league in scoring. He’s fine if they put the right pieces around him. Crosby isn’t Crosby with misfits on his wings.

The Flyers are putting a lot of hope on the back of Hart. They’d be advised to upgrade their defense (not the D, the defense all around) in front of him before throwing him to the wolves.

I do like Provorov. He can come to western PA anytime. It’s a shame he was so good or he would be at Penn State with Smirnov and Pavlychev.

The Flyers have some nice parts but after watching the last six games, they have more work to do than I thought before the series started.
Crosby’s played with misfits and made them better. Giroux needs talent around him to excel. Or put another way, 87 is at least a class above 28.

I agree that Giroux isn't a #1 and definitely not a captain. I guess it's hard to say exactly where he would fit on a team. I believe there was a lack of effort at times throughout the series. Jake Guentzel was mic'd up for the game Sunday and Jake completely mentally broke Giroux. Jake shouldn't be able to do that to a vet let alone a captain. Again JMO.
You know, I really get the impression that Giroux is not smart. I think he has great hands and is a skilled player, but just the way he reacts and plays, he seems, simple.?? I mean, your team gets pasted in game 1, so that’s when you decide to ratchet up your game? Same deal with Game 5. He gets unhinged very easily, so without the benefit of hearing a mic’d Up, I would believe your post. That said, loon st the way Crosby plays. Aside from his best skill, which is his ability to keep possession of the puck, he is always st the right spot. I don’t see all Pens games, but I would venture 75% if his goals are scored when he is no less than 10-12 feet from the net, all alone. Finding that space gives him the best chance. Most of the guys in the NHL can bury open nets.

It is finding and creating the space
To give yourself the best chance
To score which sets the greats apart. When Giroux actually did this in Game 5, he scored. Otherwise, he camps at his favorite spot. Over there on the left faceoff circle, every time. Now he has a crap angle and is 40 feet from net. Which is why he maxes out at 30 goals. SMH.

I do t think the Flyers are light years away, like others here. They still came up with 98 points. They just need to dump some of the really bad contracts and be smart
About how much they give out in the next two summers.

You know, I really get the impression that Giroux is not smart. I think he has great hands and is a skilled player, but just the way he reacts and plays, he seems, simple.?? I mean, your team gets pasted in game 1, so that’s when you decide to ratchet up your game? Same deal with Game 5. He gets unhinged very easily, so without the benefit of hearing a mic’d Up, I would believe your post. That said, loon st the way Crosby plays. Aside from his best skill, which is his ability to keep possession of the puck, he is always st the right spot. I don’t see all Pens games, but I would venture 75% if his goals are scored when he is no less than 10-12 feet from the net, all alone. Finding that space gives him the best chance. Most of the guys in the NHL can bury open nets.

It is finding and creating the space
To give yourself the best chance
To score which sets the greats apart. When Giroux actually did this in Game 5, he scored. Otherwise, he camps at his favorite spot. Over there on the left faceoff circle, every time. Now he has a crap angle and is 40 feet from net. Which is why he maxes out at 30 goals. SMH.

I do t think the Flyers are light years away, like others here. They still came up with 98 points. They just need to dump some of the really bad contracts and be smart
About how much they give out in the next two summers.
Nobody operates in traffic and close to the goal like Crosby. Genius.

Crosby has had better wingers in this playoff series. But during the regular season Crosby had all the young call ups with him during all the injuries that the Pens suffered during the year. If Crosby had good wingers all year he would have won the scoring titile. During the grind of the season, as the Captain and best playmaker, Crosby basically trained the young wingers in the Pens organization while Geno and Kessel piled up the points....

30806029_1664516220292366_979189109095930908_o-e1524509813590.jpg

Crosby’s played with misfits and made them better. Giroux needs talent around him to excel. Or put another way, 87 is at least a class above 28.

Crosby is still the best player in the game. No doubt. He does things regularly that nobody else does ever. Part of that is making others on his line better. Dupuis was a much better player thanks to Crosby. But he also fit with the style Crosby plays.

My point was just that anyone, even Crosby, needs to play with guys that fit in order to maximize their skill sets. Giroux isn't a terrible player just because the Pens made him look like Ramzi Abid.

Crosby is still the best player in the game. No doubt. He does things regularly that nobody else does ever. Part of that is making others on his line better. Dupuis was a much better player thanks to Crosby. But he also fit with the style Crosby plays.

My point was just that anyone, even Crosby, needs to play with guys that fit in order to maximize their skill sets. Giroux isn't a terrible player just because the Pens made him look like Ramzi Abid.
Agreed, Giroux is a great player. And in the right circumstances, he excels. The difference is that Crosby is able to routinely create those circumstances while Giroux is not.

This is fair-there's certain guys Sid doesn't want to play with. Phil is apparently one of them. Took him years to want to play with Hornqvist.

Kudos to the Flyers for coming back when they could have wilted. Game five was epic and six was a solid, competitive game. They win six and seven is a free-for-all. Bottom line is that the Pens are just too strong. They were peppering the Flyers goalie the entire game, after he was unconscious in game five.

BTW, all fan bases are a-holes. You can always pick out someone looking and/or saying something ridiculous.

Flyers suck and we’re probably no better than the 12 best team in the playoffs. They get zero points and may God have mercy on their soul.

Flyers suck dude and no one cares haha. Enjoy rooting for the Caps. Flyers fans so beta.

What are you like 5 years old? You need to get some new material, this is just lame. You should go to the Liar and get some tips - their stuff is like genius compared to you.

Wawawawa! LOL at a true Philly Cryers fan.

ADVERTISEMENT