ADVERTISEMENT

Stalemates TL;DR

CropDuster507

Jul 13, 2015
Can anyone give me the 411 on this whole thing? I've seen bits here and there on social media. Do we have some frequent listeners that can give me the gist of it? Do we know who this guy is?

I will never wish poorly on anyone putting wrestling into media, but the whole "tea" thing is corny as hell. Granted, I think it's corny when anyone says that shit. I hope they continue to prosper... Seems like they're doing well.

tenor.gif

I have seen a video or 2 of his on youtube when it was on a topic of interest. He seems to be covering the Willie lawsuit pretty closely. Does he do a full podcast or just youtube content?

I think it's interesting. The "tea" stuff doesn't really get into the unconfirmed reports (although he has interviewed Mineo), he mostly just talks about stuff that was actually said/tweeted by actual wrestlers/media members and doesn't usually take sides.

Also posts a bunch of memes which can be funny (although I think they are made by someone else). Probably my favorite:

But he has also done a bunch of "normal" interviews too. He's an Iowa State fan, says he was a below average HS wrestler.

I don't think there's a separate podcast although he probably posts his youtube videos on the podcast sites. However he is now also on a wrestling (and maybe some MMA, haven't really listened) radio show with Scott Casber on ESPNradio in Des Moines - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMBE3cc_aHJ-xQuaHrFh3A

Can anyone give me the 411 on this whole thing? I've seen bits here and there on social media. Do we have some frequent listeners that can give me the gist of it? Do we know who this guy is?

I will never wish poorly on anyone putting wrestling into media, but the whole "tea" thing is corny as hell. Granted, I think it's corny when anyone says that shit. I hope they continue to prosper... Seems like they're doing well.

I'll take a slobby stab...
- I'm nearly 50 years old and my children are 10; this is the main context of any takery of mine on Stalemates.
- Dude has mad internet skills. Specifically with video & youtube!
- I still haven't learned his name, don't know where he came from, but I think what he's doing is really cool, mostly b/c:
- his skills are so fresh--wrestling hasn't really seen video being used this well to tell stories about itself that much yet
- his attitude seems light-hearted and geared toward amplifying things with a fun and not mean-spirited tone
- so far, he appears to be operating in good faith: tells the gossip tea stories with a sense of fairness and willingness to get along with other people in Wrestling Internet. I know he interviewed Mineo, but he seems to have avoided that dude's behaviors that make it so hard to trust.

As for the content...
- if you've already got a distaste for gossip or what he calls 'tea', it's gonna be a tough buy for you, but it's also still probably easy enough to ignore and move along
- Wrestling Internet 'beefs' or battles or smack or 'promotion' (when it tries to adopt WWE/UFC styles) are difficult to 'report on' or even talk about, sometimes. Imo. So this dude doing so, in this fashion, is kind of original.
- His videos, so produced, do offer a fantastic service: a one-stop-shop of GossBeefTea. If you were living some real life life, not online, and missed something, one of his vids is a perfect way to get caught up!

Lastly, I love, love, love that he launched independently. Like you, Crop, I really dig & love to support mostly anyone putting wrestling into media. Hope that helps!

I'll take a slobby stab...
- I'm nearly 50 years old and my children are 10; this is the main context of any takery of mine on Stalemates.
- Dude has mad internet skills. Specifically with video & youtube!
- I still haven't learned his name, don't know where he came from, but I think what he's doing is really cool, mostly b/c:
- his skills are so fresh--wrestling hasn't really seen video being used this well to tell stories about itself that much yet
- his attitude seems light-hearted and geared toward amplifying things with a fun and not mean-spirited tone
- so far, he appears to be operating in good faith: tells the gossip tea stories with a sense of fairness and willingness to get along with other people in Wrestling Internet. I know he interviewed Mineo, but he seems to have avoided that dude's behaviors that make it so hard to trust.

As for the content...
- if you've already got a distaste for gossip or what he calls 'tea', it's gonna be a tough buy for you, but it's also still probably easy enough to ignore and move along
- Wrestling Internet 'beefs' or battles or smack or 'promotion' (when it tries to adopt WWE/UFC styles) are difficult to 'report on' or even talk about, sometimes. Imo. So this dude doing so, in this fashion, is kind of original.
- His videos, so produced, do offer a fantastic service: a one-stop-shop of GossBeefTea. If you were living some real life life, not online, and missed something, one of his vids is a perfect way to get caught up!

Lastly, I love, love, love that he launched independently. Like you, Crop, I really dig & love to support mostly anyone putting wrestling into media. Hope that helps!
I need a TL;DR for this post...

Kidding. Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. Very, very good point on him launching independently. His moves look good, maybe just the content aint for me.

It's funny... In a sport so personal, we rarely hear about the "beefs" because nobody knows when that shit is gonna turn physical in the wrong time lol. The amount of behind the scenes "this guys doesn't like that guy" that probably happens unbeknownst to most all of us is probably large. I assume any "beefs" that go public are to build to a match. If guys really had personal, personal issues, we wouldn't hear about it. It wouldn't be shared.

Does the creepy mustache bother anyone else? In terms of creepiness it is up there with the best of them in the wrestling content producers category with Nomad and JD Rader at Flo.

Reactions: Creek Side
Guy just shows up with full swagger and somehow it feels earned. Flo could use someone that talented--their swagger is more like arrogance--but they'd probably crush the creativity out of him by limiting what he can talk about. Looking forward to the interview.

Does the creepy mustache bother anyone else? In terms of creepiness it is up there with the best of them in the wrestling content producers category with Nomad and JD Rader at Flo.

definitely a bit of a john waters vibe

Reactions: Dogwelder
I'm just here to eat crow and share this:

I HATED this at first... and by the end I thought it was fantastic and watched it a second time. Good for him, man. This might be my first Stalemates content I consume.
I think he’s terrific. Clearly he’s doing this for fun and (unlike others) he doesn’t have delusions of grandeur. As others have pointed out, he has mad production skills. His name is Zach and he makes a living as a barber.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Guy just shows up with full swagger and somehow it feels earned. Flo could use someone that talented--their swagger is more like arrogance--but they'd probably crush the creativity out of him by limiting what he can talk about. Looking forward to the interview.

I said before but IMO he does usually do a good job not really taking sides and trying to stay objective (although he did seem to be rooting for Willie a little).

He also appears to do a lot of research for his interviews and tends to be able to get the interviewee to open up a bit. I’m sure we don’t have to worry about that with Willie though, definitely looking forward to this one.

I think he’s terrific. Clearly he’s doing this for fun and (unlike others) he doesn’t have delusions of grandeur. As others have pointed out, he has mad production skills. His name is Zach and he makes a living as a barber.
Yeah, I'm gladly eating crow on this one. It's rogue, independent... I can't not support this, despite my concern for his look and the extra-ness. That type of stuff brings people into content, and if I don't like it, I should just consume what I do like.

Hopefully this thread educates others on this media, like it did me.

Jtothemfp, I always appreciate the thought and effort you put into your posts. You add a lot to this Board. Also, I can relate to you because I will be 57 in March and have a 14-year-old daughter. She was our "Surprise!" baby. Due to some medical issues we thought my wife could no longer conceive. Then, after five years of no birth control, my wife calls me at work with the news. My first thought was, "There goes my retirement" 😁. Madison is now the joy of my life. So, here's to older dads who have been around the block enough to finally succeed at this parenting mystery!

I just finished watching the video. Here are some highlights. Willie goes a little bit into how he started in the industry and how he has, if I remember correctly, a Master's in literature, which was surprising to me. The gist I got from the interview is that Willie is a very passionate person who was very proud of his first few years at Flo, and he had nothing but great things to say about the original innovators at Flo, including Joe Flo, Martin, Fretwell, Roper and others I can't recall right now.

Prior to Willie joining Flo, he had worked at the Open Mat, but was making no money at all. He was at the Open Mat for three years and I believe he made $400 a month for the last 6 months he was there, and other than that he was paying everything out of his pocket to go to tournaments, etc.

I believe I totally underestimated the fracture that has occurred in the relationship between Willie and Pyles. Willie called Pyles a back stabber. It sounded like they were extremely close at one point with Willie going to Pyle's house for Thanksgiving, etc.

Willie really believes that the demise of Flo was when they brought in venture capitalists and Flo became too corporate and, in my words, lost its soul. He believes that Flo is now solely interested in subscriptions and that they do not have business ethics or a love for the sport of wrestling in general.

Willie talked about how his demise at Flo started when Flo offered him some good money to assist with some of the other Flo programs such as Flo track, etc. Willie pushed hard to get Flo to hire Pyles, and Willie later said that getting Flo to hire Pyles was the worst decision he ever made. Ouch!

Willie was under the impression that once he finished his short stint helping out some of the other programs such as Flo track, that he would be able to slide back into his position as the head wrestling person at Flo, but when Willie tried to get back into that position, Flo kept Pyles in Willie's old slot. Willie also made the comment that he did not have any respect for Flo now because they tried to take him down as collateral damage in order to get to Martin and Rokfin. Willie felt that Pyles became buddy buddy with the higher ups at Flo in order to boost his own career.

Willie told one story in particular where Pyles totally berated Nomad on live air when Nomad was a very new employee. Willie was disgusted with how Pyles had behaved and later found out that Pyles went in and deleted all of the video footage of the incident. I believe that Willie now has little to no respect for Pyles.

When Willie was asked if he had any issue with Ben Askren taking over his position on FRL, the only thing Willie mentioned was he felt Askren had betrayed Martin, who Askren had been very close friends with, because Askren knew that the prior lawsuit that Flo had brought against Martin was frivolous, and had cost Martin hundreds of thousands of dollars. Willie felt it was wrong of Askren to join on to Flo after Flo had treated his friend Martin so poorly.

Last edited:
Holy shit, that was good.

As a fellow forum nerd in my teenage years, very interesting to kinda re-live his backstory. I remember the old themat.com very sparingly. Great interview overall.

Passion always wins. Great to see and hear Willie again.

"I mostly dress like I'm gonna hang some drywall"

This statement may never surpass "Jammenz-shut up" in the pantheon of great Willie quotes, but it encompasses what is so endearing about the man. He's just a regular chap that loves wrestling. He's clearly passionate about what he does without taking himself too seriously. And that attitude was never going to work at Flo any longer. They're far too controlling and self-serving to employ an independent guy like Willie.

Additionally, I'm digging the Stalemates show and look forward to more content.

Really good throughout. Glad I watched it.

The Rhino story at 1:03 is absolutely hilarious.

Jtothemfp, I always appreciate the thought and effort you put into your posts. You add a lot to this Board. Also, I can relate to you because I will be 57 in March and have a 14-year-old daughter. She was our "Surprise!" baby. Due to some medical issues we thought my wife could no longer conceive. Then, after five years of no birth control, my wife calls me at work with the news. My first thought was, "There goes my retirement" 😁. Madison is now the joy of my life. So, here's to older dads who have been around the block enough to finally succeed at this parenting mystery!

Ha, what a surprise! I love these kinds of stories.

Thanks for the feedback, and much respect to #Old #Dads ;)

It was great hearing Willie talk about "getting his start" to a guy who is now getting a start of his own. Zach and Stalemates is a great format made up of fans just like all of us. Love that type of vibe... Hope they are around a long time.

Also, the Mat is where I got my start on wrestling forums. It's been so long but know I was there during the time of guys jumping over to/starting the Open Mat. Does anyone know what Willie's username was on The Mat. I'm sure I'll remember if I heard it. I do remember the ones that caused a stir. LIMarty and Suzieshagwell come to mind. Funny stuff on that board back in the day.

Reactions: danoftw
It was great hearing Willie talk about "getting his start" to a guy who is now getting a start of his own. Zach and Stalemates is a great format made up of fans just like all of us. Love that type of vibe... Hope they are around a long time.

Also, the Mat is where I got my start on wrestling forums. It's been so long but know I was there during the time of guys jumping over to/starting the Open Mat. Does anyone know what Willie's username was on The Mat. I'm sure I'll remember if I heard it. I do remember the ones that caused a stir. LIMarty and Suzieshagwell come to mind. Funny stuff on that board back in the day.
He went by Husker Du for a while.

Willie on Tony Hager's Happy Hour:

It's almost 3 hrs long ... can't be embedded here, need to click the "Watch on Facebook" link.

0:44 -- Willie says Cael told him: maybe we'll once in a while do a live practice on Rokfin.

I just finished watching the video. Here are some highlights. Willie goes a little bit into how he started in the industry and how he has, if I remember correctly, a Master's in literature, which was surprising to me. The gist I got from the interview is that Willie is a very passionate person who was very proud of his first few years at Flo, and he had nothing but great things to say about the original innovators at Flo, including Joe Flo, Martin, Fretwell, Roper and others I can't recall right now.

Prior to Willie joining Flo, he had worked at the Open Mat, but was making no money at all. He was at the Open Mat for three years and I believe he made $400 a month for the last 6 months he was there, and other than that he was paying everything out of his pocket to go to tournaments, etc.

I believe I totally underestimated the fracture that has occurred in the relationship between Willie and Pyles. Willie called Pyles a back stabber. It sounded like they were extremely close at one point with Willie going to Pyle's house for Thanksgiving, etc.

Willie really believes that the demise of Flo was when they brought in venture capitalists and Flo became too corporate and, in my words, lost its soul. He believes that Flo is now solely interested in subscriptions and that they do not have business ethics or a love for the sport of wrestling in general.

Willie talked about how his demise at Flo started when Flo offered him some good money to assist with some of the other Flo programs such as Flo track, etc. Willie pushed hard to get Flo to hire Pyles, and Willie later said that getting Flo to hire Pyles was the worst decision he ever made. Ouch!

Willie was under the impression that once he finished his short stint helping out some of the other programs such as Flo track, that he would be able to slide back into his position as the head wrestling person at Flo, but when Willie tried to get back into that position, Flo kept Pyles in Willie's old slot. Willie also made the comment that he did not have any respect for Flo now because they tried to take him down as collateral damage in order to get to Martin and Rokfin. Willie felt that Pyles became buddy buddy with the higher ups at Flo in order to boost his own career.

Willie told one story in particular where Pyles totally berated Nomad on live air when Nomad was a very new employee. Willie was disgusted with how Pyles had behaved and later found out that Pyles went in and deleted all of the video footage of the incident. I believe that Willie now has little to no respect for Pyles.

When Willie was asked if he had any issue with Ben Askren taking over his position on FRL, the only thing Willie mentioned was he felt Askren had betrayed Martin, who Askren had been very close friends with, because Askren knew that the prior lawsuit that Flo had brought against Martin was frivolous, and had cost Martin hundreds of thousands of dollars. Willie felt it was wrong of Askren to join on to Flo after Flo had treated his friend Martin so poorly.

There was a prior lawsuit that Flo brought against Martin?

ADVERTISEMENT