ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Camp News Thread....

Players who made the most gains over winter....

ayron-monroejpg-01acaa7c53924623.jpg

Ayron Monroe
December height and weight: 5-11, 204 pounds

March height and weight: 5-11, 212 pounds

Why it's notable: Monroe was a highly-touted safety back when he signed with Penn State as a recruit, but injuries have slowed his development. This year, that's expected to change, as he, too, is vying for the safety job Golden left behind, and he's added the weight to think that he, too, is a very strong contender to win the job.

irvin-charlesjpg-3e2dbabba7b4d1d1.jpg

Irvin Charles
December height and weight: 6-4, 219

March height and weight: 6-4, 227

Why it's notable: Charles is undoubtedly going to be expected to be a physical presence for Penn State against opposing CBs; he's always been physically imposing dating back to high school, and adding eight pounds certainly won't change that.

jarvis-millerjpg-ff5f319c39d31537.jpg

Jarvis Miller
December height and weight: 6-2, 205 pounds

March height and weight: 6-2, 220 pounds

Why it's notable: Miller was moved earlier this offseason from safety, the position he was recruited at, to linebacker, and his 15 pounds weight jump indicates why; the staff knew he was able to carry it while still keeping his speed (as Dwight Galt noted last week) and he's an interesting depth piece that will fight for more snaps than that role typically gets at linebacker if the testing speed and size carryover to what's needed in pads.

koa-farmerjpg-d893d22e94a6121e.jpg

Koa Farmer
December height and weight: 6-1, 222 pounds

March height and weight: 6-1, 230 pounds

Why it's notable: Farmer certainly didn't struggle to play linebacker at last year's listed weight, but considering the roster number is generally a little bit higher than the actual number, 230 pounds probably puts him somewhere between 225 and 230 pounds, which is pretty much a standard for OLBs, especially one that can play the run and pass, and Farmer can.

Players who made the most gains over winter....

ayron-monroejpg-01acaa7c53924623.jpg

Ayron Monroe
December height and weight: 5-11, 204 pounds

March height and weight: 5-11, 212 pounds

Why it's notable: Monroe was a highly-touted safety back when he signed with Penn State as a recruit, but injuries have slowed his development. This year, that's expected to change, as he, too, is vying for the safety job Golden left behind, and he's added the weight to think that he, too, is a very strong contender to win the job.

irvin-charlesjpg-3e2dbabba7b4d1d1.jpg

Irvin Charles
December height and weight: 6-4, 219

March height and weight: 6-4, 227

Why it's notable: Charles is undoubtedly going to be expected to be a physical presence for Penn State against opposing CBs; he's always been physically imposing dating back to high school, and adding eight pounds certainly won't change that.

jarvis-millerjpg-ff5f319c39d31537.jpg

Jarvis Miller
December height and weight: 6-2, 205 pounds

March height and weight: 6-2, 220 pounds

Why it's notable: Miller was moved earlier this offseason from safety, the position he was recruited at, to linebacker, and his 15 pounds weight jump indicates why; the staff knew he was able to carry it while still keeping his speed (as Dwight Galt noted last week) and he's an interesting depth piece that will fight for more snaps than that role typically gets at linebacker if the testing speed and size carryover to what's needed in pads.

koa-farmerjpg-d893d22e94a6121e.jpg

Koa Farmer
December height and weight: 6-1, 222 pounds

March height and weight: 6-1, 230 pounds

Why it's notable: Farmer certainly didn't struggle to play linebacker at last year's listed weight, but considering the roster number is generally a little bit higher than the actual number, 230 pounds probably puts him somewhere between 225 and 230 pounds, which is pretty much a standard for OLBs, especially one that can play the run and pass, and Farmer can.

And Sanders doesn't warrant a mention. Our cup runneth over.
Don't think Monroe wins the job out of the gate, but by the middle of the season I think he's the guy.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Right now

Bates - Gonzalez - McGovern - Mahon - Wright

what was a risk area a year ago now has some good depth, and flexibility if you look at who has played positions:

T - Mahon, Nelson, Wright and Bates

G - Mahon, Wright, Bates, McGovern

C - McGovern - but some guys in depth chart like Menet who have not played yet.

Only Hack could deliver a throw like that. Still a year of eligibility left!

Seriously, I think my biggest concern is replacing a true playmaker like Godwin. JJ can be that guy. There is going to be a lot of opportunity for a WR when the D is so obsessed with #26 as well as #88 and #5. We need an over-the-top guy who can adjust to the ball and out position the typically smaller CB.

Reactions: Ski
Seriously, I think my biggest concern is replacing a true playmaker like Godwin. JJ can be that guy. There is going to be a lot of opportunity for a WR when the D is so obsessed with #26 as well as #88 and #5. We need an over-the-top guy who can adjust to the ball and out position the typically smaller CB.

Reading between the lines, sounds like JJ has made a major step up. Charles a minor step up. They are both about 6-4, 225. JJ is a 4.5 guy. Charles is a 4.4 guy. I think that is the reason for the praise that Charles has gotten from Franklin. A guy with his size and hands who is a blazer.

But though he hasn't put together a huge year yet, Blacknall has shown on the field that he can stretch the defense. 4.38 40 on the weight room board in black & white. Tompkins has shown he can get deep. I think people are reaching worried about the wide receivers.

I'm most concerned with the defense generating turnovers. Need a significant jump in that production. Also, don't want to see the first halves with teams dominating our defense any more. Purdue had 17, could have been more. Michigan State didn't punt, drove every possession. Etc.

Reading between the lines, sounds like JJ has made a major step up. Charles a minor step up. They are both about 6-4, 225. JJ is a 4.5 guy. Charles is a 4.4 guy. I think that is the reason for the praise that Charles has gotten from Franklin. A guy with his size and hands who is a blazer.

But though he hasn't put together a huge year yet, Blacknall has shown on the field that he can stretch the defense. 4.38 40 on the weight room board in black & white. Tompkins has shown he can get deep. I think people are reaching worried about the wide receivers.

I'm most concerned with the defense generating turnovers. Need a significant jump in that production. Also, don't want to see the first halves with teams dominating our defense any more. Purdue had 17, could have been more. Michigan State didn't punt, drove every possession. Etc.

I'm most concerned about QB pressure when we play good offensive lines. Zero sacks was the common denominator in our 3 losses. Sickels, Brown, and Schwan were no match against the veteran tackles that Pitt, UM, and USC had last year.

The DE talent will be a major upgrade in years to come, but can the young guys still get pressure this year when going against an upperclassman OT from OSU, NW, Iowa, etc? Equally important, will that QB pressure travel on the road?

Well, #15 gets beat due to the inside move that turned #15 around. (not speed) Haley is a proven commodity.
I wonder if #15 instead of being square hipped, if he turned a little with his back to the ball. Now when the WR releases, the first move #15 should make is to keep his inside foot planted (this way he has taken away the inside) now as the WR can only release outside, all #15 has to do is run to his hands.
Just a thought.

It's the nature of college football to have holes in the lineup every year as players move on, but to have the WR corps we have coming back, including the experience they have, is really a "problem" that any coach in college football would love to have.....
Hamilton (5th year at PSU) - Proven, dependable WR. Not a great deep threat but a solid WR that has as much college game experience as any WR in college football.
Blacknall (4th year at PSU) - very experienced and developed good consisency on the field at the end of last year, just needs to keep from getting suspended...
Thompkins (4th year at PSU) - very much like Blacknall, has a good amount of game experience, a solid performer, ready to put up bigger stats as he continues to mature.
Polk (3rd year at PSU) - Solid true freshman season, mainly on jet sweeps, but as a 3rd year player should be developing confidence.
Charles and Johnson (3rd year at PSU) - Super talented, with NFL size and speed. Just a matter of playing experience until one or both are top college WR's.

Darien and the true freshmen will have their work cut out for them in trying to get on the field in 2017, unless there are injuries.

WR is probably the deepest, most experienced position on the team for 2017. Even at DB, with all the numbers and talent, we still have a question at Safety. Possibly DT has as much experience and depth coming back as WR.

Penn State needs to force turnovers this year. Key people: Bucholz, Simmons, S. Miller, C. Cothran, Givens, Toney.

History has shown, when Franklin starts raving about a kid this time of year, look out (Barkley in summer though, Nassib, Givens, etc). Toney won scout team player of the year, and Franklin brought him up first of the redshirts. 222 lbs, but unblockable. If your OT is slow out of his stance, he's around you. Will be interesting to see how much he gets on the field in passing situations. You saw that burst out of Aaron Maybin early in his career when he was undersized. Maybe in 5 more months they can get Toney to 230.

Reactions: 83wuzme and LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT