ADVERTISEMENT

spring ball/linebackers

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
OK guys...we start Friday...can't wait. Lets here who you guys think is our starting lb core coming outta the spring? And does CJF move Wartmann? Thanks fellas..and ladies. Don't wanna exclude them....

Phil said he thinks Cabinda is in the lead after winter workouts

as the 3rd guy to pla alongside Nyeem and Bell.

Wartman, Bell, and Cabinda......

With Wartman and Cabinda playing in-the-box LBers, and Bell as the field LBer (most of the time we are in formations with 2 "box" LBers, and one "field" guy......when we are in a traditional 4-3 set, either Wartman or Cabinda in the middle, with the other joining Bell on the wings).

If healthy, I expect Kline to get significant reps as well, and someone (Farmer?) will get some reps at field LBer....with maybe Lucas or Marcus Allen sliding into the "field LBer" spot in nickel and dime situations.

Re: Wartman, Bell, and Cabinda......current weight and height ?

Anybody have good current weight, etc. numbers on these guys? Sometimes roster numbers are out of date
smile.r191677.gif

That would be my best (early) guess...

When they are aligned in a traditional 4-3, I think it will be either Wartman or Cabinda in the middle (my guess would be Wartman as the most likely). MLB in a 4-3 is a spot were you want a very experienced guy....and I think Wartman is both the most experienced guy, and is rugged enough to stand up to the physical play inside (at least as much or more so than the other options)

Again, most of the time - depending on the opponent - our 4-3 personnel actually line up more in a 4-2-5 type of set (2 LBers inside the offensive TE(s) and one out in the field) so it doesn't matter a whole lot which of those two guys is technically the "MIke". I think Wartman or Cabinda could both be capable......but, of course, that's what spring ball is for. Reeder or Wooten or Kline might just jump up and surprise everyone....or (knock on wood) someone could get hurt....long way to go 'til September.

Re: Wartman, Bell, and Cabinda......current weight and height ?

Believe Phil said Saturday that there would be a Spring roster available on Tuesday.

Does anybody know Kline's status?

Is he healthy?
Is he on schedule to graduate this spring?
Is he definitely coming back or does it depend on how spring practice goes?

I think he could make a significant contribution if healthy.

"hear" or "hear here"... If Kline is really fully healthy I believe he

will start with Wartman and likely Bell. You don't win LB positions in winter workouts and Kline has a ton of experience. When Kline was playing healthy he was as good as any LB on the field, and I don't believe he would have come back if he was not healthy. I think Cabinda will battle Bell or back up Kline.

ADVERTISEMENT