ADVERTISEMENT

Sports pet peeves

1. Basketball players on the foul line have to slap hands with all their teammates whether they make the shot or miss. Just shoot the friggen ball.
2. Batters rewrapping both of their batting gloves before every pitch. Wasn’t it already fastened before the last pitch?
3. Golfers studying their “course book” before every shot or putt. It’s boring - learn the courses when you practice and leave the book in your locker.
Meetings on pitching mound in MLB. Ban them all - even if removing a pitcher. Do coaches in any other sport need to shuffle onto the playing field to make personnel changes. That would probably save 30 minutes per game!

Reactions: LionJim
Announcers who make every play the greatest play ever.
1...The DH in baseball...AL pitchers are wusses

2...The infield fly rule...still don't understand that one

3...TV time outs...part of the TV rights but annoying to me. I cringe every time the dude in the red hat walks on the field

4...all those people taking selfies right in front of us while a play is in action (that's for all of you in section NC!)

5...head coaches 5-10 yards on the field and not getting flagged for it

6...head coaches having to wear sponsor apparel on the field

7...the 3 hat deal or even self made videos for Signing Day....just tell us where you are going and live up to your hype afterwards

8...the whole transfer portal debacle

9...golf announcers that whisper from 3 holes away

10....the rope deal pitchers wear around their neck...what's it hiding?

I'm sure I have more.....
Infield fly rule isn't hard to understand. It's a good rule.

Mine is mobile ticketing. I don't have a smart phone and have no plans to get one. Mrs KG does, but she doesn't like baseball. So, I may have been to my last MLB game as a result (and possibly minor league game). I also chuckle at the current reason for using it--health reasons. Look, they scan your ticket. Doesn't matter whether it's a phone or a piece of paper. It's contactless either way.
Just curious why you wouldn't get a smart phone. You can turn it off whenever you don't want to be bothered, but also literally have a computer in your pocket.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Just curious why you wouldn't get a smart phone. You can turn it off whenever you don't want to be bothered, but also literally have a computer in your pocket.
There are a number of different personal reasons, one of which is expense. I'm also quite good at losing and breaking things. There are other personal reasons. I do have a semi-smart Tracfone, but it's a flip and the display is too small and the phone too slow to use for that purpose (good for scores though). My wife does have one, which we have used for a Crew game. But she does not like baseball.

The other issue is the more that I have to jump though hoops to attend an event is when I start saying "no thanks". That general reason (at the time (2013), increasing cost, travel, hotel cost, extra security, and extra "donations", among other items) is why we are no longer season ticket holders at Penn State--and in fact have only been to a couple home games since then. We found it was easier and cheaper to go to Europe for a couple weeks every couple of years.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
There are a number of different personal reasons, one of which is expense. I'm also quite good at losing and breaking things. There are other personal reasons. I do have a semi-smart Tracfone, but it's a flip and the display is too small and the phone too slow to use for that purpose (good for scores though). My wife does have one, which we have used for a Crew game. But she does not like baseball.

The other issue is the more that I have to jump though hoops to attend an event is when I start saying "no thanks". That general reason (at the time (2013), increasing cost, travel, hotel cost, extra security, and extra "donations", among other items) is why we are no longer season ticket holders at Penn State--and in fact have only been to a couple home games since then. We found it was easier and cheaper to go to Europe for a couple weeks every couple of years.
Fair.

I was resistant to cell phones when they first came out and did not rush to get a smart phone, but I believe it is one of the most useful (in terms of daily use) inventions of the past 100 years. It can also be a giant time suck, but when used responsibly it is a tremendous tool.

There are upsides to digital only tickets though. One example is it makes creating fake tickets more difficult for scammers.

1. Double Yes on the slapping hands after every basketball free throw.
2. Men's Soccer, all of it.
3. Pace of a big league game on tv, love it when in person because it extends the experience, but on TV? Golly, not getting any younger viewers at that pace.
4. The media timeouts in basketball. I understand the advertisers need their time but with the media timeouts I think there are at least 14 stops in play maybe.
5. Politics invading sports. I watch you to get away from real life, not be reminded of it.

Reactions: Yanks49 and psu00
Putting on those baserunning mitts so they don't jam their fingers when sliding into 2nd base. I think they pick up 2" wearing those things.
I saw a kid wearing one in a little league game last week.. He got caught stealing 2nd anyways because he doesn't have an athletic bone in his body, but he looked good with that baserunning mitt.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Nitwit
Re the infield fly rule:

Infield fly rule isn't hard to understand. It's a good rule.

Like so many rules, you just need to think what would happen if the rule hadn't been implemented.

I never thought the infield fly rule was hard to understand until I had to explain it to a Pakistani grad student that would often accompany me to the State College Spikes games. He had never seen a baseball game until he came to PSU. We had a lot of laughs as I tried to teach him the game. When explaining double-plays, he asked if any extra outs carried over to the next inning. For example: If there are two outs and the batter hit into a double-play, for what would be the 3rd & 4th outs of the inning, would that team start out with one out for their next turn at bat. Always thought that would be an interesting thing to try.

I had NO CLUE ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what I was missing until my baby brother bought me one for my 65th b-day six years ago. It was like emerging from the Stone Age! And that is a great way to describe it, having a computer in your pocket. (Or usually in my hands.)

Reactions: PSU2UNC
There are upsides to digital only tickets though. One example is it makes creating fake tickets more difficult for scammers.
On the flip side, going down to a game with a couple bucks in your pocket looking/negotiating for a cheap ticket is a thing of the past. Or trying to get rid of one last minute when someone in your group can't make it. I went to a lot of NHL hockey games for $10-15, lower bowl. Not any more, though.

Fair.

I was resistant to cell phones when they first came out and did not rush to get a smart phone, but I believe it is one of the most useful (in terms of daily use) inventions of the past 100 years. It can also be a giant time suck, but when used responsibly it is a tremendous tool.
Time suck is actually one of my concerns. Another is that every company you do business with wants you to install their app--and they you get bombarded with cr*p.

I think some of the sports teams require you to install the ticket app, the league app, and the team app before you can access your tickets. At least two of those.

Mind you, I think mobile ticketing is a good option for many folks. The trouble comes when it is the only option.

Time suck is actually one of my concerns. Another is that every company you do business with wants you to install their app--and they you get bombarded with cr*p.

I think some of the sports teams require you to install the ticket app, the league app, and the team app before you can access your tickets. At least two of those.

Mind you, I think mobile ticketing is a good option for many folks. The trouble comes when it is the only option.
Appreciated about time suck and apps. One solution to apps (or anything else you have to sign up for) is just to use a dedicated email address (e.g. kgilbert78a@gmail or whatever) that you only use to signups. Then all your spam/advertising goes to that email. You can still check it if you need it for tickets etc, but you don't get your regular inbox clogged up with spam.

For the apps themselves, you can always either turn off notifications (if you are being bothered by them) or just uninstall them when you don't need them (I'm assuming you aren't going to sporting events every week).

................a Pakistani grad student that would often accompany me to State College....he asked if any extra outs carried over to the next inning. For example: If there are two outs and the batter hit into a double-play, for what would be the 3rd & 4th outs of the inning, would that team start out with one out for their next turn at bat. Always thought that would be an interesting thing to try

This is a great idea. Baseball is in need of a lot of renovation, but this would be an innovation. It would also help the game go faster.
A good example how someone unfamiliar with something can raise questions to challenge/improve the old model that most everyone may simply accept.

Reactions: Nitwit
This is a great idea. Baseball is in need of a lot of renovation, but this would be an innovation. It would also help the game go faster.
A good example how someone unfamiliar with something can raise questions to challenge/improve the old model that most everyone may simply accept.
Baseball is OK exactly the way it is. People who don't like it, won't like it no matter what changes they make. Baseball isn't supposed to be like football, basketball or hockey.

I never thought the infield fly rule was hard to understand until I had to explain it to a Pakistani grad student that would often accompany me to the State College Spikes games. He had never seen a baseball game until he came to PSU. We had a lot of laughs as I tried to teach him the game. When explaining double-plays, he asked if any extra outs carried over to the next inning. For example: If there are two outs and the batter hit into a double-play, for what would be the 3rd & 4th outs of the inning, would that team start out with one out for their next turn at bat. Always thought that would be an interesting thing to try.
So if he says baseball is complicated....have him take you to a cricket game. Now there’s some crazy rules.....💂🏼‍♂️

Another pet peeve is in lacrosse where they do a face off after every goal instead of changing possession. I suppose ice hockey does the same thing but it’s not as important to the outcome there.

Never overturning calls in football that are close but still wrong. Using the crutch that it is inconclusive. Just overturn it.

Reactions: psu00

Great rule. Get the game over sooner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT