ADVERTISEMENT

Sports pet peeves

1. Basketball players on the foul line have to slap hands with all their teammates whether they make the shot or miss. Just shoot the friggen ball.
2. Batters rewrapping both of their batting gloves before every pitch. Wasn’t it already fastened before the last pitch?
3. Golfers studying their “course book” before every shot or putt. It’s boring - learn the courses when you practice and leave the book in your locker.

I agree 1000% with #1. The stupidest thing going in hoops!

Reactions: psu1969a
The PGA never ever enforcing pace of play. ⛳️

Bernard Langer disagrees sir. They used to hound him over it!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Langer

The game isn't to long, the broadcast is.
Granted that the game is extended to fit the time allotted but fact is that the broadcast can be so long because there is so much dead time with pitching changes, player/coach conferences, change of sides, batter not ready, etc. Baseball is boring for more reasons than just commercial interruptions.

I have several.
1. NHL officiating. It’s consistently erratic and scattershot. Embarrassingly incompetent.
2. Showboating. I know it’s accepted these days- and even encouraged- but it goes right through me. Bat flips, TD/turnover celebrations, McSorley’s baseball swing..... all absurd. I’m still hoping a Reds pitcher will buzz a fastball pst Marcell Ozuna’s head before following it up with a fastballs that breaks a couple ribs for stopping to take a fake selfie before reaching first base after hitting a home run in the playoffs last year. I know I’m a dinosaur but I still don’t like it.
3. The way the majority of MLB teams are glorified minor league teams for a small minority of teams. It’s kind of killing the game.
#2. I’m with you!

OL

Reactions: TheGLOV
Batters wearing a suit of armor at the plate only to call time and take it off when they get on base. Should be a rule that if you wear it in the batter’s box, you have to wear it on the base paths AND in the field.
Putting on those baserunning mitts so they don't jam their fingers when sliding into 2nd base. I think they pick up 2" wearing those things.

1. Basketball players on the foul line have to slap hands with all their teammates whether they make the shot or miss. Just shoot the friggen ball.
I wouldn't do that. I like dry hands when I shoot. A sweaty handshake didn't work for me.

I recall Kevin McHale having somebody toss him a towel.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13
I agree 1000% with #1. The stupidest thing going in hoops!

They ought to just make a rule that wherever you stand for the first foul shot you have to stay there for the second one too, unless someone replaced you, in which case they have to stand where you stood.

Or maybe even forbid substitution between foul shots (if they're not already forbidden). It would stymie coaching strategy a bit but then again it would encourage players to be more well rounded since specialized substitutions would be harder to do.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13
Political correctness and its associated baggage. Like no more "acts" like Morganna the kissing bandit.

Reactions: TheGLOV
My pet peeve is the last 5 minutes of almost every college basketball game (I don't watch the NBA, so I don't know if it is the same). It takes 30 minutes of "real" time to play the last 5 minutes of a college bball game.

The time outs, the officials' never ending reviews of a play where the call is immediately known within the first 15 seconds ... the inconsistency of officiating (a charge call vs a blocking call which seem to change with each possession) ... the refusal to call an "intentional" foul when every foul during this time is truly intentional ... on and on and on and on ...
I was at a Sports Clips getting a haircut a couple of years back. They have tv's turned to a game at every station. When I sat down, there was just under 2 minutes left in a men's college BB game. I told my stylist that she'd be done with my cut before the game ended--and I was getting their MVP service, which includes a shampoo and hot towel. I was right.

Reactions: Bob78 and psu1969a
1. In college basketball, when I coach calls a timeout right before one of the four minute time out breaks, then they take another timeout at the next stoppage of play. Common sense should prevail here.
2. The two minute warning in the NFL. What the hell is that for other than a chance to blast in more commercials.
3. The euro step in basketball....in other words, a travel with a fancy name.

In basketball, when players yell "AND ONE!" when they think they have been fouled.

Multiple beefs here:

1) Yelling this before a foul has been called (or perhaps a foul isn't called) is criticizing or attempting to bias the refs during live play. I don't know why they tolerate this. If I was still officiating, I would tell players if you yell that, you get one warning, then I will T you up.

2) Yelling this before the ball goes in is moronic, because you cannot possibly have an "AND ONE" if your two doesn't fall first. So many guys yell it then their ball clanks off the rim.

3) Guys in pick up games (where there are no referees and there are no foul shots) yell this. What the actual f***?

"Walk off" anything.

It especially annoys me when newscasters and others use this phrase in the context of baseball, when the home team scores the winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning. A" walk-off single". Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Reactions: GoGoBanana
Broadcasters trying way too hard to bring us innovative / weird camera angles - hate the "video game" behind the QB from above view, hate everything from the sky cam, don't need to see the view from behind the goal posts or baseline...just give me the 50 yard line / courtside angle ALL THE TIME (for live action, anyway).

Related - in FB when the network has a close-up on a player, coach, sideline, etc until 1 second before the ball is snapped, so you don't have a chance to see who's in, formation, etc.

Broadcasters trying way too hard to bring us innovative / weird camera angles - hate the "video game" behind the QB from above view, hate everything from the sky cam, don't need to see the view from behind the goal posts or baseline...just give me the 50 yard line / courtside angle ALL THE TIME (for live action, anyway).

Related - in FB when the network has a close-up on a player, coach, sideline, etc until 1 second before the ball is snapped, so you don't have a chance to see who's in, formation, etc.

I agree for the most part. However, I rather like a view from the end zone when it is done well. It’s great for watching the play. develop, blocking assignments, etc. My favorite seats in Beaver Stadium are the upper deck end zone seats. Just wish there was complimentary oxygen once you get there.

I agree for the most part. However, I rather like a view from the end zone when it is done well. It’s great for watching the play. develop, blocking assignments, etc. My favorite seats in Beaver Stadium are the upper deck end zone seats. Just wish there was complimentary oxygen once you get there.
I think the standard sideline camera is best for live action, but would love it if they showed more "all 22" views for replays. I feel like most replays are close ups of the players, which is fine but not strategically interesting.

Reactions: LionJim
The 2008 clock rule out of bounds , with the ref starting the clock by ball placement, instead of on the snap. The 25 to 40 seconds game clock is a give and take rule.
These rules were instituted to shorten the game, but we still have multiple TV time outs , play reviews that a 16 yr old can analyze in 30 seconds takes multiple officials 5 minutes or longer to make a decision. Games are overlapping other KO times and it shouldn't be. Bottom line was the 2008 clock rule made the game longer.

Announcers saying INTENT, FOOTBALL MOVE.

The front edge of the goal line and pylon are either the beginning point of a touchdown or not.

Palming and carrying the basketball and allowing 3-4-5 steps without calling traveling!
This ^^^, including the ‘Euro step’.

Plus any announcer that can’t do a broadcast without saying ‘physicality’ 10 times a game (looking at you Herby, Jesse Palmer, hell, anyone at ESPN).

Last edited:
1. Showboating in general. Nothing worse than watching a defender give up a first down run or allow a 15 yard catch and then standing up and celebrate like he just made a great game winning goal line stand. You gave up a first down. Stop celebrating like it was a great play. And this goes double when they do it while trailing 38-3 at the time.

2. The number of time outs in college basketball. Cut them in half. With the tv time outs it’s maddening to watch the end of a close game. 2 minutes of game time takes 30-40 actual minutes.

3. Having replay reviews take forever when the entire country has seen the replay 3 times already and knows what the correct call should be before the on field ref even gets to the sideline headphones. Then we all wait for another 10 minutes wondering what’s taking so long.

4. Having former refs on broadcasts to explain penalties/ fouls. Normally I wouldn’t mind except they almost never say what the call should be. They waste 2 minutes restating what the game announcers just said (now for targeting we need to see.....) and almost never say what the ruling should be before the on field official comes back and announces the ruling. Then the broadcaster official says ‘yeah, I agree’ after the fact.

1. Showboating in general. Nothing worse than watching a defender give up a first down run or allow a 15 yard catch and then standing up and celebrate like he just made a great game winning goal line stand. You gave up a first down. Stop celebrating like it was a great play. And this goes double when they do it while trailing 38-3 at the time.

2. The number of time outs in college basketball. Cut them in half. With the tv time outs it’s maddening to watch the end of a close game. 2 minutes of game time takes 30-40 actual minutes.

3. Having replay reviews take forever when the entire country has seen the replay 3 times already and knows what the correct call should be before the on field ref even gets to the sideline headphones. Then we all wait for another 10 minutes wondering what’s taking so long.

4. Having former refs on broadcasts to explain penalties/ fouls. Normally I wouldn’t mind except they almost never say what the call should be. They waste 2 minutes restating what the game announcers just said (now for targeting we need to see.....) and almost never say what the ruling should be before the on field official comes back and announces the ruling. Then the broadcaster official says ‘yeah, I agree’ after the fact.

Re. #3, I don't understand why they have game officials deciding it in the first place. They should have people back in New York or wherever starting to look at the replay as soon as a close play happens and that way they'll be halfway to having the answer by the time the coach throws the red flag. The officials should just be told the outcome rather than be the one to decide.

Re. #3, I don't understand why they have game officials deciding it in the first place. They should have people back in New York or wherever starting to look at the replay as soon as a close play happens and that way they'll be halfway to having the answer by the time the coach throws the red flag. The officials should just be told the outcome rather than be the one to decide.
I agree. They can speed up the whole process and get some consistency at the same time.

"Walk off" anything.

It especially annoys me when newscasters and others use this phrase in the context of baseball, when the home team scores the winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning. A" walk-off single". Give me a break. :rolleyes:
How about a walk off walk? Those are exciting.

I quit watching MLB long ago for several reasons with one being the length of the game. The ratio of the amount of real action to the amount of time is ridiculous. Some things I'd suggest: change the number of balls and strikes allowed e.g. 3 balls=walk, 2 strikes=out. limit the number of coaching time-outs allowed per game, limit the number of pitching changes (I hated when they brought in a new pitcher to pitch to just one batter), and a more difficult one would be to put a clock on between pitches which is problematic because the batter can waste as much time as the pitcher.
Any new pitcher should have to face 3-4 batters or minimum of 20-25 pitches. Or you lose an out next inning.

One of the problems with baseball is it's really not meant to be watched on tv. It's the only major sport with no time limit. And there really isn't a way to add one.

I like watching games in person, even with the crappy Pirates. It's enjoyable to sit in the stands on a warm summer night. But I might chose medieval dentistry over watching one on TV.

Mine is mobile ticketing. I don't have a smart phone and have no plans to get one. Mrs KG does, but she doesn't like baseball. So, I may have been to my last MLB game as a result (and possibly minor league game). I also chuckle at the current reason for using it--health reasons. Look, they scan your ticket. Doesn't matter whether it's a phone or a piece of paper. It's contactless either way.

1...The DH in baseball...AL pitchers are wusses

2...The infield fly rule...still don't understand that one

3...TV time outs...part of the TV rights but annoying to me. I cringe every time the dude in the red hat walks on the field

4...all those people taking selfies right in front of us while a play is in action (that's for all of you in section NC!)

5...head coaches 5-10 yards on the field and not getting flagged for it

6...head coaches having to wear sponsor apparel on the field

7...the 3 hat deal or even self made videos for Signing Day....just tell us where you are going and live up to your hype afterwards

8...the whole transfer portal debacle

9...golf announcers that whisper from 3 holes away

10....the rope deal pitchers wear around their neck...what's it hiding?

I'm sure I have more.....

Reactions: psu00
2. Batters rewrapping both of their batting gloves before every pitch. Wasn’t it already fastened before the last pitch?
3. Golfers studying their “course book” before every shot or putt. It’s boring - learn the courses when you practice and leave the book in your locker.
Announcers who make every play the greatest play ever.

1...The DH in baseball...AL pitchers are wusses

2...The infield fly rule...still don't understand that one

3...TV time outs...part of the TV rights but annoying to me. I cringe every time the dude in the red hat walks on the field

4...all those people taking selfies right in front of us while a play is in action (that's for all of you in section NC!)

5...head coaches 5-10 yards on the field and not getting flagged for it

6...head coaches having to wear sponsor apparel on the field

7...the 3 hat deal or even self made videos for Signing Day....just tell us where you are going and live up to your hype afterwards

8...the whole transfer portal debacle

9...golf announcers that whisper from 3 holes away

10....the rope deal pitchers wear around their neck...what's it hiding?

I'm sure I have more.....
Re the infield fly rule:

Reactions: manatree and WDLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT