ADVERTISEMENT

Sports pet peeves

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
1. Basketball players on the foul line have to slap hands with all their teammates whether they make the shot or miss. Just shoot the friggen ball.
2. Batters rewrapping both of their batting gloves before every pitch. Wasn’t it already fastened before the last pitch?
3. Golfers studying their “course book” before every shot or putt. It’s boring - learn the courses when you practice and leave the book in your locker.

Batters wearing a suit of armor at the plate only to call time and take it off when they get on base. Should be a rule that if you wear it in the batter’s box, you have to wear it on the base paths AND in the field.

Last edited:
Refs who anticipate a foul or penalty is going to take place, blow their whistle/throw their flag, the play actually ends up being clean, but the ref doesn’t have the guts to correct the call.

I have several.
1. NHL officiating. It’s consistently erratic and scattershot. Embarrassingly incompetent.
2. Showboating. I know it’s accepted these days- and even encouraged- but it goes right through me. Bat flips, TD/turnover celebrations, McSorley’s baseball swing..... all absurd. I’m still hoping a Reds pitcher will buzz a fastball pst Marcell Ozuna’s head before following it up with a fastballs that breaks a couple ribs for stopping to take a fake selfie before reaching first base after hitting a home run in the playoffs last year. I know I’m a dinosaur but I still don’t like it.
3. The way the majority of MLB teams are glorified minor league teams for a small minority of teams. It’s kind of killing the game.

Last edited:
A new one for me. Baseball extra innings rule. Just plain stupid. I can't believe they actually adopted it.
yep. if i want to see extra inning games start the 10th inning with a runner on second, i'll watch girl's softball. all to speed up the game/ keep theoverpaid prima donnas safe. if they want to shorten games, cut the damned commercials in half and enforce taking days between pitches and adjusting batting gloves after every pitch.

Every timeout in college basketball requires a multitude of chairs to be brought out on the floor by a multitude of student managers, then reverse the process when the timeout is done.

Virtually every girls softball game - team has to gather around coach as they come off the field at the end of an inning. Apparently a pep talk for the entire team is needed every inning.

1. Basketball players on the foul line have to slap hands with all their teammates whether they make the shot or miss. Just shoot the friggen ball.
2. Batters rewrapping both of their batting gloves before every pitch. Wasn’t it already fastened before the last pitch?
3. Golfers studying their “course book” before every shot or putt. It’s boring - learn the courses when you practice and leave the book in your locker.

What’s worse is batters re-wrapping both gloves when they didn’t swing at the prior pitch

My pet peeve is the last 5 minutes of almost every college basketball game (I don't watch the NBA, so I don't know if it is the same). It takes 30 minutes of "real" time to play the last 5 minutes of a college bball game.

The time outs, the officials' never ending reviews of a play where the call is immediately known within the first 15 seconds ... the inconsistency of officiating (a charge call vs a blocking call which seem to change with each possession) ... the refusal to call an "intentional" foul when every foul during this time is truly intentional ... on and on and on and on ...

I don’t know if this counts as a pet peeve but it bothers me to see the endless fouls and timeouts at the end of basketball games. Full disclosure...I really only watch PSU hoops so in fairness it may be the end result that bothers me since the FT shooting and points off timeouts always seem better by the opponent.

How CBS goes to a commercial after every single break in an NCAA March Madness game. Just stay at the end when it’s close instead of squeezing in a 20 second commercial we’ve already seen a thousand times! Makes it so much more enjoyable to watch. Also, the “rules experts” they bring in during NFL games to “explain” penalties seem to be wrong A LOT.

Draftees coming out on stage and getting to first base with Roger Goodell after being drafted. Seve worship at the Masters. The Lion rubbing his ears during a crowd shot. Super Bowl halftime shows.

Agree on the golfers. Ban the notebooks and take the marks off the ball. Aligning the ball three times. It's golf, not reading or surveying.

I agree about the fouling in BBall - teams down by 20 with 15 seconds to go fouling - WTF, you aren’t going to catch up.
The whole Hat or Jersey “reveal” thing when kids are picking their college - and get off my lawn while you are at it.
Also as mentioned in the NFL the whole team runs to the nearest camera to mug when they intercept a pass - act like you’ve been there before.

In a team sport where a player makes a game winning play and then runs away from the rest of the team towards the crowd...and incredibly the rest of the team chases him. Just once I'd like to see the rest of the team stay where they were and celebrate with each other and let the one guy be off on his own somewhere.

if they want to shorten games

I quit watching MLB long ago for several reasons with one being the length of the game. The ratio of the amount of real action to the amount of time is ridiculous. Some things I'd suggest: change the number of balls and strikes allowed e.g. 3 balls=walk, 2 strikes=out. limit the number of coaching time-outs allowed per game, limit the number of pitching changes (I hated when they brought in a new pitcher to pitch to just one batter), and a more difficult one would be to put a clock on between pitches which is problematic because the batter can waste as much time as the pitcher.

A number of mine have been mentioned, but to add/expound:

- College football OT. Just play it out instead of starting in FG range, which is the equivalent of starting a runner on 2nd in extra innings, imo. The NFL OT isn't ideal, but at least they play football and have certain requirements before declaring a winner... or a tie. Ties after extended play are not the end of the world, and at some point player safety due to fatigue needs to be considered. My conversation-starter for college is to play a 10 minute OT period. Either be up by 2 scores (i.e. 9 points) or more to end the game before the 10th extra minute, or end after the 10 minutes (70 total), win, lose, or draw.

- Fouling out in hoops. I don't follow the NBA, but they also follow the one foul per 8 minutes rate (5 over 40 in college, 6 over 48 in NBA). Why have players foul out at all, and especially when in OT? In OT, at least grant each player one extra foul, but I would rather see a player have a mandatory 'penalty box' time after a foul ala hockey, than to foul out of the game completely. 2 minutes is fine. Maybe after 5 fouls, a foul is a 5 minute penalty. Follow that through the entire 40 minutes, and the whack-a-mole fouling at the end of a game would slow down considerably.

- College football kickoffs and fair catches.... If a player calls for and catches a kickoff in the field of play, spot the ball at the 20 rather than the 25 (the entire rule is a pet peeve, but it is here to stay). Don't penalize the kicking team for, in some cases, strategic placement of the kick to help prevent a long return. The coffin corner kickoff is smart, and takes skill to pull off. End zone kickoffs placed at the 25.... not great, but ok. But then why not punts into the end zone, which still gets placed at the 20?

- Some people advocate for 4 10 minute quarters in men's college hoops. I could be ok with that, but I like the uniqueness of the 2x20. Before the rule changes in football due to safety issues, I used to think it would be great to have football broken into 3 20-minute periods ala hockey. There would be another end of 'half' 2 minute flurry on offense, an extra kickoff, which used to be an exciting play, and an extra rest and re-strategize period for the teams. Instead of a 20 minute half, make it 2 12 or 15 minute breaks. The 3rd period kickoff would be determined by another coin toss; the 2nd period kick would follow the existing rules. This is all moot, of course.

I quit watching MLB long ago for several reasons with one being the length of the game. The ratio of the amount of real action to the amount of time is ridiculous. Some things I'd suggest: change the number of balls and strikes allowed e.g. 3 balls=walk, 2 strikes=out. limit the number of coaching time-outs allowed per game, limit the number of pitching changes (I hated when they brought in a new pitcher to pitch to just one batter), and a more difficult one would be to put a clock on between pitches which is problematic because the batter can waste as much time as the pitcher.
The game isn't to long, the broadcast is.

The Jordan Rules.

LdN

Reactions: psu00

Just institute a pitch timer. Like a shot clock.

15 seconds waiting period. 10 seconds to throw the pitch. So the batter has 15 seconds to be ready and then he has to face a pitch.

Batter does not get to call time.

Pitching changes get 2 minutes total.

Would change everything.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT