ADVERTISEMENT

Sporting News Ranks 130 CFB Coaches.....Interesting:

Lol, bragging about a fluky conference championship. If you don't win the NC, you take head to head every time.
Flukey? When was the last time Michigan won one of those flukey B1G Championships? That would be 2004. Two Thousand Four. Take a hike.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Flukey? When was the last time Michigan won one of those flukey B1G Championships? That would be 2004. Two Thousand Four. Take a hike.

michigan left phantom um 2016 b1g east shirts in the locker room at ohio state. They're probably in Haiti now if the michigan athletic supporter wants one.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I am going to upset some of my fellow OSU fans but as of now i would put Dabo number 2 over Urban. Last year he beat BOTH Urban and Saban. As a matter of fact he is 3 and 1 in his last 4 against them and could have just as easily have been 4 and 0.

As for Urban it is hard to argue with 61 and 6 but he made a huge mistake in the Tim Beck hire and the offense suffered both directly and indirectly with the necessity of reassigning Ed Warriner and the resulting decline in the OL.. Even though he still went 23 and 3 over those 2 years he was badly out coached in both the MSU loss in 2015 and especially at PSU last year.

Looking forward I think that the Kevin Wilson hire will make OSU fans forget the Tim Beck disaster just as Moreland has made PSU fans forget whoever the previous OC was.

Reactions: Aloha T
Narduzzi#36
Ferentz#25
Chryst#22
Franklin#15
Kelly#14??? (Got to be kidding)
Petrino#13
Dantonio#10
Shaw#7 (Overrated)
Harbaugh#5 (After last year)?????
Swinney#3
Meyer#2 (No surprise)
Saban#1 (Certainly no surprise)

These are the ones that caught my eye as I was really interested in where they ranked JF. Surprised to see Kelly, Petrino, and Harbaugh ranked that high. Also surprised to see Shaw at #7.

Habaugh gets to #5 based on Stanford and the fact that he is still in the honeymoon transition in Ann Arbor.

So you're saying you'd give up Michigan's 2004 B1G title just for a win over OSU that year?

Sure.

Heck, I had no idea who even won the game that year without looking it up. But I have no problem reciting all the B1G champs over the past 15 years.

Yes, I would. No question.

PSU was every bit the national champion in 1994 as Michigan was in 1997. So slightly more recently.

Yep, Michigan just won a beauty contest vote that we didn't, that was it. A completely subjective vote.

Reactions: psu2016
Kelly at 14 is biggest joke. Team was a disaster last year and he gets big time recruits and a very handsome salary. Maybe last year was an aberration but I sure as hell didn't see PSU with one losing record during the most severe sanctions any football team has received outside of SMU.

NOT ONE LOSING RECORD, there are maybe 3 schools tops that could survive that and I doubt it because PSU kids have heart and a different breed.

Franklin is about right where he should be ranked, in game coaching saps his overall and thats the only thing. top 5 recruiter, motivator, disciplinarian, etc. Probably about 50 for in game coach. If he can improve that he will take off. I still think Joe Mo is the biggest reason for the success last year. He revitalized that team and offense since coming on. A staff without him will make me very nervous.

Kelly at 14 is biggest joke. Team was a disaster last year and he gets big time recruits and a very handsome salary. Maybe last year was an aberration but I sure as hell didn't see PSU with one losing record during the most severe sanctions any football team has received outside of SMU.

NOT ONE LOSING RECORD, there are maybe 3 schools tops that could survive that and I doubt it because PSU kids have heart and a different breed.

Franklin is about right where he should be ranked, in game coaching saps his overall and thats the only thing. top 5 recruiter, motivator, disciplinarian, etc. Probably about 50 for in game coach. If he can improve that he will take off. I still think Joe Mo is the biggest reason for the success last year. He revitalized that team and offense since coming on. A staff without him will make me very nervous.
I would say to have winning records in his first two years, Franklin is a lot better in game coach than given credit for. Both teams probably should have been 3 or 4 win teams. He made chicken salad out of chicken shit and then gets criticized because his chicken salad isn't as good as the salad at the Ritz.

I agree with you on Kelly. His game plan vs. No Carolina St last year - passing the ball from the shotgun formation in the middle of a hurricane - was the most blatant act of coaching stupidity I've ever seen in 50+ years of following football. The man is as stupid as a block of ice.

Could you give some specific examples of Franklin's in-game coaching flaws? I admit to being a consistent defender and fan of James Franklin, but I can be objective about him, as well.

I see a coach who has been tremendous at bringing his team from behind to win games or to come within a play or 2 of winning a game. He's achieved a rather impressive record despite facing devastating obstacles. I have read comments like your before, and, like the "used car salesman" mantra, I have found them void of substance.

Please offer evidence that supports your claim. Thanks.

Yes, I would. No question.

This is typical Michigan thinking. A win over a single team is better than a conference championship simply because his team hasn't won one in over a decade and a half. Oh, and every other teams' championships are "flukey" because they aren't UM.

:confused::confused::confused:

At least PSU can beat tOSU every couple of years. Unlike UM.

This is my dream job. Just make crap up and paid for it. There is no criteria listed for how coaches were ranked. It says ranking for 2017, but 2017 season hasn't started.

What defines a good coach? Recruiting for sure. Record, for sure. But how about overachieving? Margin of victory? Consistency? Overcoming adversity? Clock management? In game decision making? Hiring of assistants? Graduation rates?

I don't think too many would disagree with Saban, Meyer and Sweeney being in the top 3. But how do we know they are good coaches? All coaches say it largely comes to down to recruiting.

If I think of coaches like Ferentz, who doesn't recruit all that well, but usually has a competitive team and every few years, a really good team, it could be argued that he is a better coach than the top 3.

Ha. Franklin was 2016 Sporting News coach of the year, but now he is #15. Guess, he slipped backward. But wait, he took a leap forward from 51.
Last year: 51
Record: 49-30 (25-15)
Lowdown: This is a huge leap for Franklin, the reigning SN Coach of the Year who guided the Nittany Lions to an improbable Big Ten championship run last season and is showing the recruiting chops to keep the program in the mix in the Big Ten for years to come. That's not bad considering he was on the hot seat midway through last season. Franklin could work into the Top 10 by 2018.

This is my dream job. Just make crap up and paid for it. There is no criteria listed for how coaches were ranked. It says ranking for 2017, but 2017 season hasn't started.

What defines a good coach? Recruiting for sure. Record, for sure. But how about overachieving? Margin of victory? Consistency? Overcoming adversity? Clock management? In game decision making? Hiring of assistants? Graduation rates?

I don't think too many would disagree with Saban, Meyer and Sweeney being in the top 3. But how do we know they are good coaches? All coaches say it largely comes to down to recruiting.

If I think of coaches like Ferentz, who doesn't recruit all that well, but usually has a competitive team and every few years, a really good team, it could be argued that he is a better coach than the top 3.

Very good points, canuckhal. There are so many facets to being a HC, that it can be an overwhelming task, a reason why the successful ones have such large support staff. But to narrow the description down, I'll consider (1) does he bring in talent? (2) does he keep from screwing up that talent? and (c) can he develop talent when he can't get #1?

Based on these criteria, I would rank as follows (admitting my bias):

1. Meyer - masters #1, very solid at #2, rarely needs #3 because he does #1 so well
2. Saban - wouldn't have been here based on his time at MSU; however, since getting out of the conference where everything is designed for the 2 Darlings, he has proven a master at both 1 and 2. Like Meyer, he rarely needs #3.
3. Fisher - gets the talent, is pretty solid developing it, but he falters at developing less gifted talent into stars IMO.
4. Swinney - not quite the recruiter of the 3 above, but he seems to do exceptionally well at #'s 2 and 3
5. Franklin - is becoming a challenger at #1, has clearly been solid at developing the talent, and, just MO, he and staff do a great job of finding players to fill needed slots.

We beat you 49-10 when we played.

Oh yeah we'll we did a bunch of other stuff and you guys did a bunch of other stuff and history lessons and stuff.

So now the loss doesn't count even though the game ended in a 49-10 score in favor of Michigan.

Because stuff!
:confused:

Oh yeah we'll we did a bunch of other stuff and you guys did a bunch of other stuff and history lessons and stuff.

So now the loss doesn't count even though the game ended in a 49-10 score in favor of Michigan.

Because stuff!
Pretty good win for a third place team. Cherish it because that's all you have from last season. You can come to Penn State and see the trophy if you'd like.

Very good points, canuckhal. There are so many facets to being a HC, that it can be an overwhelming task, a reason why the successful ones have such large support staff. But to narrow the description down, I'll consider (1) does he bring in talent? (2) does he keep from screwing up that talent? and (c) can he develop talent when he can't get #1?

Based on these criteria, I would rank as follows (admitting my bias):

1. Meyer - masters #1, very solid at #2, rarely needs #3 because he does #1 so well
2. Saban - wouldn't have been here based on his time at MSU; however, since getting out of the conference where everything is designed for the 2 Darlings, he has proven a master at both 1 and 2. Like Meyer, he rarely needs #3.
3. Fisher - gets the talent, is pretty solid developing it, but he falters at developing less gifted talent into stars IMO.
4. Swinney - not quite the recruiter of the 3 above, but he seems to do exceptionally well at #'s 2 and 3
5. Franklin - is becoming a challenger at #1, has clearly been solid at developing the talent, and, just MO, he and staff do a great job of finding players to fill needed slots.

All of your top 4 have won a National Championship recently including Fisher who "falters at developing less gifted talent into stars"

What in the world would suggest Franklin belongs in a top 5 list with these other 4 National Championship coaches?

And what in the wide world of sports would suggest he is "becoming a Challenger at #1?"

Must be his 49-30 overall record, 3-3 Bowl Record and 1 Big10 Championship.

All of your top 4 have won a National Championship recently including Fisher who "falters at developing less gifted talent into stars"

What in the world would suggest Franklin belongs in a top 5 list with these other 4 National Championship coaches?

And what in the wide world of sports would suggest he is "becoming a Challenger at #1?"

That one championship puts him ahead of the clown they have at #5 on the list.

Reactions: YorkCoLion

Hahahaha. You Michigan fans are a riot. Your pathetic program wins all of one single national title (and a split one at that) since World War II, yet you come over to the board of the reigning Big Ten champions to ridicule that championship coach.

Since you must have trouble understanding what you read, let me refer you to check out my post again. I stated the criteria I used and offered my opinion based on them. I'm not interested in your opinion. Most intelligent people realize any attempt to rank "best" in professions like coaching, medicine, education, law, etc. is merely conjecture. Why, I know some misinformed Michigan fans who actually rank Bo Schembechler among the best college coaches. And old Bo never won a s single national title and lost twice as many bowl games as he won.

James Franklin has only been here 3 years. IMO! he'll win a national championship at Penn State. So go back and worship your Bo statue ... or is it now Jim, another coach who has never won a national title?

Hahahaha. You Michigan fans are a riot. Your pathetic program wins all of one single national title (and a split one at that) since World War II, yet you come over to the board of the reigning Big Ten champions to ridicule that championship coach.

Since you must have trouble understanding what you read, let me refer you to check out my post again. I stated the criteria I used and offered my opinion based on them. I'm not interested in your opinion. Most intelligent people realize any attempt to rank "best" in professions like coaching, medicine, education, law, etc. is merely conjecture. Why, I know some misinformed Michigan fans who actually rank Bo Schembechler among the best college coaches. And old Bo never won a s single national title and lost twice as many bowl games as he won.

James Franklin has only been here 3 years. IMO! he'll win a national championship at Penn State. So go back and worship your Bo statue ... or is it now Jim, another coach who has never won a national title?
Or a championship of any kind.

Reactions: Option Bob

Because stuff!
It counts as does the B10 championship game and the Rose Bowl game.

As a matter of fact, U Mich lopsided win propelled your arch enemy right into a BCS bowl with an opportunity to play for the national championship.

Last edited:

Or maybe the fact that he never had a losing record coming off sanctions meant to destroy the football program and still managed to win the B10 championship.

What is Harbough's excuse?

Lol, narrow minded sPitt and scUM fans. Always winning battles, forever losing wars.

Let us know when your savior finally wins a B1G Championship like the leagues top coaches, Meyer and Franklin. Maybe sleeping over at a teenagers house doesn't work, after all???

They are like Nazis bragging about winning the battle of the Netherlands in 1940. Which coincidentally is about the time Michigan was relevant in CFB.

ADVERTISEMENT