ADVERTISEMENT

Speculation growing that Chase Young will be ruled ineligible for season

A bowl game is pretty meaningless. The NCAA ended up suspending the players involved I think 5 games the next year, right? That's almost half the next season. They did not get off light with that.
Except for the player(s) who didn't come back for their senior year, so they essentially got zero punishment.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
And that hurt OSU how?
It didn’t hurt OSU. That’s not what the post I quoted was about. Don’t move goalposts.

But since you ask, OSU did not have the opportunity to play for the championship in 2012 as a result of the nonsense.

Reactions: dailybuck777
"Summer before Freshman year" = duffel bag of cash

Exactly. This was a family friend? He met the guy a couple of years ago. And this guy "loeaned" him money? This isn't the "I went to dinner and didn't pay, so let me pay back the $42 and we'll be good." This is a guy taking a bag of cash. It's ALWAYS a "loan" in these situations.

Reactions: Ski
Apologies. I was under the impression we were discussing the NCAA and Delany and their lack of common sense in applying this particular penalty. :confused:
You’re right on that case. The NCAA and Delany are useless, spineless, witless, and many other -less adjectives.

I read on Reddit about how Auburn handled Cam Newton’s accusations - basically suspended him and forced the NCAA to rule he was eligible to protect themselves. I wouldn’t be surprised to see OSU going down the same path.

Reactions: m48tank
My biggest question is who knew about this and when? Why is it coming out now? Did someone rat?

I don't see how a cash cow like this kid is gonna be kept off the field. Everyone is behind osu making everyone as much money as possible. A little detail like breaking NCAA rules is not going to get in the way of profits. Case in point their QB shouldn't even be playing right now!
Yup, well stated. This is the biggest joke of all this season and none of the talking heads in the media ever bring it up. This kid not only shouldn’t be playing this year, but the NCAA apparently couldn’t give a ‘rats ass’ whether Mr Fields actually attends classes, or needs to academically apply himself @ ‘ THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY’ ... What a joke the NCAA has become:

From the Columbus Dispatch:

Fields mused Tuesday afternoon that he hadn’t been around much, spending most of his time at home, where spare time involves watching Netflix, or at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center for workouts, meetings and other entertainment.

But from what I have seen, the campus is beautiful and the people around are great,” Fields said.

After spending his freshman year at Georgia, Fields is in the pre-business program at Ohio State, according to his bio on the athletic department’s website.

Last edited:
Extra benefit rules apply to both student-athletes and parents. Examples of extra benefits include, but are not limited to, the following:   • A loan of money, regardless of temporary nature of loan, intent to pay back the value, or whom the loan is from (i.e. parents of teammates are not appropriate persons to offer loans to student athletes.)   • A special discount, payment arrangement or credit on a purchase or service (e.g., dry cleaning, legal representation);   • Free or reduced-cost housing;   • Transportation, an automobile or use of an automobile;   • Services (e.g., movie tickets, dinners, use of a car) from commercial agencies (e.g., movie theaters, restaurants, car dealers) without charge or at reduced rates; and   • Cash, gift certificates or other items with value.

Well.... so long as we have definitive word from a reliable and informed source :rolleyes:

FWIW, I ran this whole situation by my Dog.

He said "Arf Arf Woof Grooooowl Bark".... which is, as we all know, Labradorese for "Yeah, a lot of hallabaloo about what will end up being a nothing burger"

Then he asked for a treat - and wanted to go take a crap. Kinda' like the NCAA

th
LOL Barry. I said take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Now THERE is a loophole I hadn't considered.

Seriously, do people think that new rule would eliminate players taking money from agents? I think the rules will make it harder to catch them. A lot more money changing hands. Easier to blend in.
Of course it will make them harder to catch and introduce all sorts of slippery slopes. I'm sure that's one of many factors in the NCAA's decision to keep it a black and white issue when the writing was on the wall (court and public pressure). Rules without the ability to enforce are meaningless, so while the public clamors to pay players they leave the NCAA and the teams holding to bag on figuring out how to make it happen in a manner that's traceable and fair. That's the hardest part but 99% of the people that gripe that the players aren't being treated fairly just like to ignore that portion.

Take this for what it is worth, but a friend of friend type thing works in a compliance office in another D1 school (small school) and they said they expect it to be 2 games based on their experience.

Maybe I was wrong that the NCAA wouldn't accept this.
If there's any truth to that then the timing of this certainly becomes just as interesting as the truth of what happened. It sure is convenient that a 2018 incident pops up during the weakest 2 game stretch of OSU's conference schedule.

Weren’t they given an option? Sit or play and they opted to sit the beginning of the following year?

Except for the ones who didn't come back.

It didn’t hurt OSU. That’s not what the post I quoted was about. Don’t move goalposts.

But since you ask, OSU did not have the opportunity to play for the championship in 2012 as a result of the nonsense.

As I recall they would have played for the championship in 2012 if they'd sucked it up and accepted punishment in 2011. They kicked the can down the road.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
If there's any truth to that then the timing of this certainly becomes just as interesting as the truth of what happened. It sure is convenient that a 2018 incident pops up during the weakest 2 game stretch of OSU's conference schedule.

As always, who knew what and when did they know it?

Man I could not agree with you more. This is exactly what I thought right away. I am saying 100% he plays against us.

Man I could not agree with you more. This is exactly what I thought right away. I am saying 100% he plays against us.
We have a player that tries to spit on another player and misses with said loogie get suspended for one game against an undefeated team.

They have a guy THAT IS ACCEPTING CASH get suspended for 2 weak opponent games? Sounds about right.

We have a player that tries to spit on another player and misses with said loogie get suspended for one game against an undefeated team and they have a guy THAT IS ACCEPTING CASH get suspended for 2 weak opponent games? Sounds about right.

While not condoning Sheltons actions (I dont) its not like #64 and #66 for MSU were choir boys in that game.
If the refs had been properly doing their job Shelton may not have to resort to loogies.

We have a player that tries to spit on another player and misses with said loogie get suspended for one game against an undefeated team.

They have a guy THAT IS ACCEPTING CASH get suspended for 2 weak opponent games? Sounds about right.

Well said except that for now, it seems young is suspended for just one weak opponent.

Extra benefit rules apply to both student-athletes and parents. Examples of extra benefits include, but are not limited to, the following:   • A loan of money, regardless of temporary nature of loan, intent to pay back the value, or whom the loan is from (i.e. parents of teammates are not appropriate persons to offer loans to student athletes.)   • A special discount, payment arrangement or credit on a purchase or service (e.g., dry cleaning, legal representation);   • Free or reduced-cost housing;   • Transportation, an automobile or use of an automobile;   • Services (e.g., movie tickets, dinners, use of a car) from commercial agencies (e.g., movie theaters, restaurants, car dealers) without charge or at reduced rates; and   • Cash, gift certificates or other items with value.

I didn’t see anything about the tattoos subsection.

That's wishful thinking. It could be the opposite.
In reading the OSU boards, that family friend was his attorney who graduated - get this - from Wisconsin and has been involved with the NCAA before. I believe the NCAA has to be careful here - they're already at a tipping point.

So a family friend "loaned" CY money to fly his family to So. Cal. If he was a family friend why didn't he just give the money to his family and not include him in the chain of custody?

i don't fault tOSU for him taking money. You can't control what the players do. How a school responds is what matters. If tOSU finds out about improper benefits and reports them great. If they cover them up, then you are a bad program. Jury is still out on what tOSU's role is.

Sad this is where college athletics is.

Uh......no.

2012 was during the BCS era.

The two teams that year were Alabama and ND...… both of whom were ranked ahead of OSU throughout the entire year - - - - even in the polls that included OSU.

The B10 was a shit pile that year - - - - and OSU had an atrocious schedule (and a handful of crapper games against shitty teams, that they squeaked past).
But, in any event, they were never in the top two of any of the polls or rankings - - - - which is what was necessary back in the BCS era.

So one loss bama was going to get in over them? Doubtful.

So a family friend "loaned" CY money to fly his family to So. Cal. If he was a family friend why didn't he just give the money to his family and not include him in the chain of custody?

i don't fault tOSU for him taking money. You can't control what the players do. How a school responds is what matters. If tOSU finds out about improper benefits and reports them great. If they cover them up, then you are a bad program. Jury is still out on what tOSU's role is.

Sad this is where college athletics is.

Agree 100 % It's a systematic problem and they only have themselves to blame.

While not condoning Sheltons actions (I dont) its not like #64 and #66 for MSU were choir boys in that game.
If the refs had been properly doing their job Shelton may not have to resort to loogies.
Shelton is being taught life lessons. From James and the other coaches. That will last a lifetime. And help him achieve greatness off the field. On the flip side you have Young who is being taught. From Ohio State coaches. A whole different mindset. W or L in the shoe. In my eyes those boys in the blue and white have already won. They have all the tools in front of them for greatness. On and off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT