ADVERTISEMENT

Speculation growing that Chase Young will be ruled ineligible for season

I love this, especially the second tweet.....NOT from an agent.....Not from anyone associated with OSU....."

How in the F! would you know it was not from anyone associated with OSU, goober?
And if it was not from anyone associated with OSU, then what? Total anonymous donation off the street? Stranger just walked up with 3 grand and gave it to his mom? GTFO here with that happy horsesh!t.

giphy.gif

suppose they want to use the players likeness?
Now THERE is a loophole I hadn't considered.

Seriously, do people think that new rule would eliminate players taking money from agents? I think the rules will make it harder to catch them. A lot more money changing hands. Easier to blend in.

The second tweet (if true) is interesting. "NOT from an agent and NOT from anyone associated with OSU". So some random person decided to pay a couple thousand dollars in airfare out of the goodness of their heart? I should move to Ohio. People there are so generous they'd pay my vacation transportation costs. Nice!!!!

Could certainly be a Buckeye fan who is not a booster. Think Penn State fanboy who is not a member of the Nittany Lion Club giving a player a "loan" to help his family get to a bowl game. That person is not associated with Penn State. But I could see it happening.

Reactions: hlstone
I think it may depend on how much he accepted. Troy Smith got caught taking something like $500 from a booster, and he only had to sit out for a game or two IIRC.

Yup. I think booster vs agent is very different. A booster is an improper benefit. Money from an agent makes means you are not an amateur athlete and ineligible. Back in the day, Curtis Enis took a $300 suit from an agent and was ineligible for all CFB games after that, which amounted to the bowl game that year.

The NCAA has a long standing tradition of employing double, triple, and quadruple (plus) standards when it comes to certain programs. If they really couldn’t give 2 shits about someone like Dr. Strauss, what makes anyone believe they’ll step in to address a high profile athlete putting a little extra coin in his pocket before he cashes out next spring?

The NCAA has a history of being not so forgiving with tOSU. Have we all forgotten what happened with the tattoos already?

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
I'd also highlight that this was "a family friend that I've known since the summer before freshmen year at OSU"

That looks a lot sketchier (i.e. almost certainly a football related friend) than say a family friend that he's known all his life.

I think I know who did it.

It was Obliviax. He wanted to help PSU and figured getting Young to be ineligible would be the best way to do it. Which explains why he is not on the board much anymore - he has to work overtime to get that money back in the account before his wife finds out.

MYSTERY. SOLVED.

Not so forgiving? The players in question were allowed to play in their bowl game that year! How is that not so forgiving?

Weren’t they given an option? Sit or play and they opted to sit the beginning of the following year?

Not so forgiving? The players in question were allowed to play in their bowl game that year! How is that not so forgiving?

Yeah but they made Terrelle Pryor pinkie swear that he'd return the following season to serve his suspension. The NCAA and Delany really put their collective foot down with that.

As we all know, Pryor entered the supplemental draft and suffered no penalty whatsoever.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
So if his family needed money to go to the Rose Bowl why would he accept the loan? If the guy was a family friend why not just have that friend pay the airfare? It’s already been proven in the Cam Newton case that whatever the parents accept doesn’t matter as long as the player doesn’t know about it. I’m either really confused or I’m mixing up all the spins coming from the Buckeye fanboys. I know I’m just a dumb Fireman but something isn’t adding up!

Reactions: Bobpsu and psuno1
Don't worry guys, he paid it back while working hard this summer. LOL....ooops I didn't know...now I do...I'll pay it back. No UMD or RU for me...but I'll be there for PSU and UM. OSU plays the game well.

Reactions: flash86 and bmw199

Though the wording of the Tweet is lawyerly and obviously designed to depict his action in the most harmless light possible, it still raises all kind of questions, particularly this line: I made a mistake by accepting a loan from a family friend I've known since the summer before my freshman year at OSU.

Mistake? When did he realize it was a mistake? And what made it a mistake exactly? Who was the family friend that neither he nor apparently his family knew until the months before his first year at OSU? What were the friend's ties, if any, to the university? How much was the "loan" for? And so forth.

Personally, I think some of these rules are ridiculous, but they are on the books, and they need to be enforced the same way for everyone, regardless of the politics of the situation or the prestige of the school or the national impact on the season. Sorry, Chase, but after what the NCAA did to Penn State, I don't feel in an especially merciful mood.

Reactions: odshowtime
I'd also highlight that this was "a family friend that I've known since the summer before freshmen year at OSU"

That looks a lot sketchier (i.e. almost certainly a football related friend) than say a family friend that he's known all his life.
The follow on question is, where d you get the money to reimburse it back.

A bowl game is pretty meaningless. The NCAA ended up suspending the players involved I think 5 games the next year, right? That's almost half the next season. They did not get off light with that.

Take this for what it is worth, but a friend of friend type thing works in a compliance office in another D1 school (small school) and they said they expect it to be 2 games based on their experience.

Maybe I was wrong that the NCAA wouldn't accept this.

A bowl game is pretty meaningless. The NCAA ended up suspending the players involved I think 5 games the next year, right? That's almost half the next season. They did not get off light with that.

The players had no intention of serving that suspension and the NCAA knew that

Wasn’t Larry Johnson accused by an agent of facilitating money for a player (was it Maybin) several years ago?

it was accepting money for him to stay in school or something like that. I don’t think anything came out of it

Yeah but they made Terrelle Pryor pinkie swear that he'd return the following season to serve his suspension. The NCAA and Delany really put their collective foot down with that.

As we all know, Pryor entered the supplemental draft and suffered no penalty whatsoever.

Come on what do you mean he suffered no penalty... He wasn't allowed back for homecoming the following year. That is something he will never get back... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT